1. You have chosen to ignore posts from brianamoro. Show brianamoro's posts

Mike Lowell: updates, negotiations, etc.

so the sox gave J.D. Drew 5 years @ 70 million and he's had an often injured career but Mike Lowell is only getting a 3 year offer for a little more than half the money , that makes no sense he's 2 years older but that's not much

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from goznes. Show goznes's posts

No doubt Lowell goes to the Yankees. Sox will miss him but if they can improve their middle relief they will win more games that way. Try Youk but look for a good young player. Hey- it's all business. For a few dollars more...- seems there was a movie by that name. Maybe it's all Hollywood. Damon would be proud. Loyalty? Forget it. It was nice of Lowell to meet the fans and give them free food, but he would do the same for any other club. Nice personality is part of his appeal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dehud. Show dehud's posts

I don't know whether the Sox made a mistake or not. We all make a huge mistake in supporting a total misallocation of resources to professional sports. Lowell probably wants to test the market, regardless. The glow of the Series wears off pretty fast when the grossness of the money issue becomes obvious again. If Lowell goes, he goes

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lovegolf01. Show lovegolf01's posts

i think the red sox tried their best to re-sign lowell under the philosophy that this is business. you have to admit that it's worked so far. if not for that thinking pedroia would never have been our second baseman this year.

remember too that boston is committed to contending for the world series title every year. now is the time to have faith. these guys know what they are doing. this is not haywood sullivan/buddy leroux in charge here.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 191820042007. Show 191820042007's posts

don't you understand now? Theo always did anything he likes, signed anyone he likes. Lowell is you fans' favorite but Theo's. He made the decision very clearly in the beginning not to sign Lowell. anything he did and talked with Lowell's agents just for fooling you guys asked for re-signing Mike.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from egomaniac. Show egomaniac's posts

I agree. I think it would be a mistake to sign Lowell for more than 3 years. I think the 3-year, $39 million dollar deal that was supposedly on the table is perfectly reasonable, if not even a bit higher than I would like. He has at most two more good offensive seasons before there is a steep decline. I don't blame the Sox at all for not succumbing to public pressure and the euphoria of winning the World Series. If another team wants to overpay Lowell for his decline years, let them. I would have no problem having the Yankees "stick it to the Sox" by signing him to a 4-year, $60-70 million contract. They did us a favor by "sticking it to us" over Damon which was almost an identical situation.

The Red Sox front office has proven to be a good judge of when to let a player go. Pedro, Lowe, Damon etc., they've always prudently resisted the urge to overpay their free agents. Now I wish they would exercise some of that judgment on the other side of the coin but having assembled 2 World Series teams in 4 years, Theo seems to know what he's doing overall.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pric. Show pric's posts

Great move by Theo. Now go get Arod. 10 years 250 mill.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hooky. Show hooky's posts

Totally disagree. They made the man an offer, based on what he's worth, and admittedly that's a great deal. Why do people always put this on management's shoulders when players simply want more and more? Make the offer, stick to your guns and take it from there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from amdsoxfan. Show amdsoxfan's posts

When we look at the other 3rd base prospects on the market, it seems to me that the only one who wouldn't require us to trade away prospects is A-Rod. If the Sox are planning a coup and intend to sign A-Rod that's one thing. It's a bold choice, that I happen to think is the wrong choice, but at least it's an aggressive one.

I would be completely against any trade for a 3rd baseman that would send away prospects because when you're faced with the notion of retaining Lowell for a year longer than they intended and paying a couple-million more than they intended, it's a no-brainer. Worst-case is they overpay a little bit for a player who will be very strong offensively and defensively for the next 2 years and strong defensively for the next 4.

Money they have, and while they may have a long list of prospects, you can never have enough.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenfrankie. Show greenfrankie's posts

IF POSADA CAN GET 52 MILLION FOR 4 YEARS, LOWELL DESERVES AT LEAST THAT MUCH. PLEASE, OH GOD, PLEASE, ANYONE BUT A-ROD!!!!!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from brsfinpa. Show brsfinpa's posts

Lowell will come back to haunt them in the ALCS. And Theo is an idiot if it costs them key prospects to replace Lowell. Money is just money. Talent is harder to come by. Why not give Lowell an extra year or more money and Keep their prospects? His leadership in the clubhouse is worth an extra year in and of itself. They could always trade him if it didn't work out. It just doesn't make sense. Sticking to an artificial threshold instead of recognizing the uniquness of a player. WHy is J.D. Drew worth more on their scale than Lowell? I don't get it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from eoleary29. Show eoleary29's posts

I don't see Lowell on the decline. He had a great 2006 and a fantastic 2007. He had two off years prior in Florida, but before that was always a solid player. I dont think offering him 4 years is overpaying, because you get a lot of intangibles from him besides just his bat (clubhouse presence, leadership, relationship with the Latin players) If he starts to go downhill that fourth year, at least you still got three solid years out of him and now have a veteran guy to help out with the rookies.

I really, really, really, really do not want ARod. His contract is going to be the albatross around our neck for the next 10 years and he is not going to fit in in the clubhouse or the city. That team had the perfect chemistry this year and in 04. No one big superstar the team revolved around. You bring Arod in, it totally ruins that and sticking him in the middle of Papi and Manny is just asking for trouble.

And, because its ok to be a fan at times and not be rational, I hate him. I hate his attitude, I hate his deamenor on the field, I hate him for all the stuff thats happened between him and players on our team, and I really dont want to sign someone for 10 years when they have produced exactly ONE RUN in FOUR Postseasons. No thank you. Give me someone who is consistent all year long, whom other players look up to respect and actually want to play with. Other players will talk about Arod's talent, but they dont ever talk about what a great clubhouse guy he is, or how they love playing with him. He'll be a cancer.

Arod can take his sorry quarter of a billion for ten years contract and SHOVE IT. All the money in the world doesn't means you play in October.

SIGN LOWELL!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chastemel. Show chastemel's posts

Hmmmm. $35.M for Manny and Lowell. OR... $30.M for ARod and Ellsbury. Better defense. Better production. OK.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

Theo: I love ya' and you're great. But if you let Lowell get away and don't get him signed, you are a stone-cold idiot.

If you want to give a 33 year old a 4 year deal, I don't think you're in any position to call anyone an idiot.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nanrond. Show nanrond's posts

I think if the Red Sox let Lowell go and sign A-Rod they are making as big a mistake as the team made when they left the Bambino go. We would now have the curse of A-Rod! I for one could no longer enjoy watching the Red Sox with A-Rod on the team and Lowell more than likely in NY.. Theo and company PLEASE keep Lowell...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

Theo and company PLEASE keep Lowell

I'm so sick of reading this, as if it's that simple. What do you want to hand him a blank check? In any negotiation you need to set a ceiling on what you're willing to spend. Three years is stretching it as is, adding a 4th year is lunacy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from barbpinebush. Show barbpinebush's posts

I'm from New York and travel to Boston to see a lot of Red Sox games at Fenway. Let me say one thing: I would hate to see Lowell go to the Yankees. He doesn't belong in that clubhouse. An arrogant bunch, quite the opposite of what he's used to in Boston. Theo: give him the Posada deal. Posada is 36 and the Yankees are willing to give him 4 years at 52 million. I think that Lowell would be happy with that deal. He carried the team during the Manny month off, Papi's off numbers, is a good mentor to younger players like Pedroia and Ellsbury, not to mention the playoff performance.

Mike: It ain't all about the money. You'll never find the clubhouse, ballpark, manager and teammates like in Boston. Let alone the fans. The people in Boston will be heartbroken, for the most part, if you leave. Think seriously about this.

I really think the right move for Mike and Theo is to stay in Boston.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from capejoyce. Show capejoyce's posts

..if Theo wanted Lowell, he would have offered him a better deal...It's A-Rod they want...and are determined to get...I think we, the fans, have been had....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from haemoglobin36. Show haemoglobin36's posts

Actually, Lowell had a good year in 2006 as well, not just 2007. 2007 was obviously better. In 2006 He hit 1 less homer, 80 RBI and batted .284.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

Mike Lowell is a god and Theo's ego is just getting in the way. He is probably just bitter because he didn't even make the deal to bring him here in the first place. Hoyer and Shipley were the brains behind that trade and thats probably the trade that won us the world series.

If you honestly believe any of this, you're a fool.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gwilk. Show gwilk's posts

I really hope we don't lose Mike Lowell. I guess it all comes down to "In Theo we trust".

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

This was always going to be the real problem, with J.D.Drew's deal. It won't stop with Mike Lowell either. If you take the production of the other 8 starters.

1.Pedroia 2. Crisp 3.Papi 4.Manny 5.Lowell 6. Tek 7. Lugo 8. Youk they averaged 16.4 HR : had 82.3 RBIs and averaged .290. Drew was 11 , 64 , .270 well below the average of the other 8. At that rate Lowell had almost 2 years of Drew's production in RBI's and HR's.this season. So one could say , at that rate Lowell should get 28 million or twice Drew's salary. I know that is not how it works, but I am sure Lowell has thought about it.

Theo upset the apple cart with this deal, it was bad then , it is bad now, and unless Drew hits .300 has 100 Rbis and 20 hrs in 2008 it will be bad for the furure salary negotiations with star players.

Imagine where the Sox would have finished had they had 9 J.D Drew's in the lineup @ 14 mil each that's 126 mil. Then you have to pay the pitching staff.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

A-Rod at $250-300M?

Trading prospects for Cabrera, and signing an already over-weight Cabrera to a $20M/year deal?

A negotiation ceiling is one thing, but tell me what options are out there thay make more sense?

No on A-Rod, yes I would throw a lot at the Marlins for Cabrera. I'm not too concerned about his weight (see Prince Fielder) the guy is a generational hitter available at age 24. He has a 930 career OPS in a pitchers park , he flat out rakes. His comps through age 24: http://www.baseball-reference.com/friv/scomp.cgi?I=cabremi01:Miguel+Cabrera&st=age&compage=24&age=24

If the price on Cabrera is too high (wouldn't part with both Buchholz & Ellsbury) , a temporary stop-gap like Lowrie would work fine.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjns17. Show mjns17's posts

I believe the sox are getting rid of Matt Clements contract this year, there is some moneys.

Mike Lowell for 4 years, why not on the fourth year you could always move him to first and youk back to third.
    Some stability in this line up could be great keep the core players, Manny might be leaving, the revolving door at short will most likely continue and we may be eating part of the right fielder contract in a trade a la Edgars.

Lowell is a stand up guy with solid stats and can play in boston, the ability to play in Boston must be a factor.

Keep the faith in Red Sox nation, this is a great time to be alive.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from markbarnett1961. Show markbarnett1961's posts

I think the Red Soxare doing what they are supposed to be doing. Although I love Lowell, this is still a business and teh Sox have won 2 world series in 4 years. You can't argue with results. They will not over pay for Lowell. We'll see.