1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lionheart. Show lionheart's posts

Mike Lowell: updates, negotiations, etc.

Theo has not made a mistake - the offer extended to Mike Lowell was a solid one. If it was extended to 4 years, you would be dealing with a situation where a player could very possibly be past his prime, and still signed to a contract (sounds like the Yankees).

Remember, Lowell's agents get a cut of every contract, so if this is his last contract (since he has been talking about retirement), his agents are looking out for themselves too. It just smells like politics.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Message # 40966.663
    Posted by seabeachfred on Nov-12 7:04 PM
    Chazz, the Marlins want Ellsbury, Bucholz and either Lester or Masterson for Cabrera and I am not interested in such a trade as that. If they think they can do better than that let them try; they won't be able to and then they may come back to us with a more reasonable offer. If not, shine them on.

That is what the Marlins say they want what i believe is doable is Crisp and Buch with some window dressing, and that makes sense to me. Focus on youth. The idea of getting a 24 yr old Manny and keeping the nucleus intact is the 'hat trick'.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

Everyone keeps talking about how prudent the Red Sox are with player contracts, but all you have to do is look at the contracts they gave to Lugo and Drew and that goes out the window. They gave Drew $70M and Lugo $32M folks!! You can't lowball Lowell after tossing out those idiot deals last year.

Because they signed those two to bad deals they should follow it up with another bad deal to Lowell? brilliant logic!

There's no doubt management has made some mistakes in the FA market , but you can't argue with two titles in 4 years. They know what they're doing folks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

He is absolutely being an idiot. He's already overpaying Drew and Lugo for them not being worth their price. Atleast Lowell is a MVP and I think rightly deserves 4 years.

I guess Theo Idiot is obsessed with 3 years. Look at those Yankees, no matter what they didnot what Posada to go anywhere so they offered him another year to his deal (from 3 to 4) and made him the highest paid catcher.

I think Theo is going to repent this move.

They also gave Damon 4 years, think they'd like a mulligan on that move?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oletimehockey. Show oletimehockey's posts

Looking at past free agents with whom the Red Sox have dealt with that reach the ripe old age of their mid- thirties, I think the Red Sox are doing the right thing offering a 3 year deal to Mike Lowell, who will be 34 in March ?

Some common ground could be negotiated on the 4th year of the deal but I don't think that is in the cards, we will see !

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjns17. Show mjns17's posts

You can't bring the agent in to this, Theo is the "agent" for the Sox and the player has the final say. One more year for Lowell at 14 mil sounds like a deal for what we would be getting.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bushie. Show bushie's posts

Exactly - well put.

This is a business. Have faith that whatever happens, there will be a countermove. It is tough to deal with when we all fall in love with certain players.

Everyone is sounding like this is over, it isn't.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from markbarnett1961. Show markbarnett1961's posts

I think th ejury is still out on Lugo and Drew - Not sure they are "idiots". Again, RESULTS RESULTS RESULTS - if the Sox were not winning the Series your point would be stronger. Was Theo not correct with Damon, Pedro and Beckett? Gove the Guy some credit.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Message # 40966.681
    Posted by TexasPat on Nov-12 8:00 PM

chazz:

To me it doesn't make sense to give up Buckholtz, Lester, and/or Ellsworth for Cabrera. That's' just too high a price. The Sox need to find another way. They also don't need to waste money the way they did on JD Drew. My goodness, $14mil. per year for a .270 hitter with 11 home runs?? Yuck.

Two things Pat, first I never said I would give so much. Something like Bucholdz , Crisp and maybe Hansen . NEVER Buch and Ells . We might go as high as Buch , Lester , and Crisp but that would be the limit.

Second Cabrera is on a different planet than JD .320 35 118 are almost a given. At 24 he is in the class of Manny, ARod, Papi etc..... please look up his stats and reply.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lree. Show Lree's posts

Sign Mike Lowell Theo! The time is almost gone to do so. Give him 4 yrs and keep this class act of an athlete in our City, on our Team and in our tradition. Guys like this are few and far between these days. He is definitely capable of at least 3 great years and so what if he falters a bit in year 4? We still have him around as a role model and a role player. The alternatives such as ARod, Cabrera, etc will cost you even more money and break up the working chemistry this team has. Only good things will continue to come from having an intelligent, well spoken and classy player in our midst like Mike Lowell.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dragonhunter. Show dragonhunter's posts

Quite simply, Lowell, even with a 4 year contract, is the best value out there. If the Sox have to go to the open market, they have to pay open market rates for whomever they might get. Lowell is worth to the Red Sox whatever he is worth to another club, and probably more!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Message # 40966.697
    Posted by thirtysomething on Nov-12 8:43 PM
    No Buchholz and Ellsbury=No Cabrera.

Walshy, that's the current price. May come down, since I don't expect they will get two prospects of that quality from anybody. It seems likely that we would need to include at least one of the pair, though.

I think the fact that , in any deal , both sides have needs and pressure, is escaping some people. FLA will lose a lot if they don't move him now. He won't come cheap but he is a better bat than Lowell as good as ARod and 24 years old. This guy is someone we can build the middle of the order around till 2018.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamalot23. Show jamalot23's posts

Yeah Theo you are an idiot. You only brought us 2 World Series Champs in the last 4 years. All these Einstien's said the same thing when he let Pedro and Damon walk for ridiculously long and overpriced money. The 3 year 12-15 million was above and beyond fair. If he wanted to stay here he would have jumped at the chance to make that kind of money here. If he wants to be greedy and make more than go play for the Yankees. They have no problem overpaying. Sure next year he will look like an idiot, but years 2-4 he looks like the genius he is. Lowell will be close to 40 at the end of a 4 year deal at 15 million per. Not a good business decision.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from socksnews. Show socksnews's posts

Your right, Lowell was great this year. But everyone does great in a contract year. I would not overpay for Lowell at this point. Yes, we have overpaid for others last year, and that should be a good reason not to do it again. No one seems to like A-Rod, but if Lowell goes to NY for 4-5 years at $15/M then why not go get him. You know what he is going to give you each year. Even a better option- Go get Cabrera. He's only 24 and puts up great numbers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamalot23. Show jamalot23's posts

Sure it looks like the Sox made a mistake giving Lugo and Drew big contracts. But if they are going to gamble it will be on younger players and not a guy who is 34 like Lowell. Anyone who thinks Lowell will not begin to tail off as age creeps in is a blundering idiot. That is why Theo is a great GM. He doesn't allow emotion to take over and make the calls for him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamalot23. Show jamalot23's posts

Drew is 4 years younger than Lowell not 2. That is why you idiots shouldn't be allowed to post in here let alone have an opinion on how Theo should do his job.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lree. Show Lree's posts

I agree Jack and I'm one of them! If the Red Sox get ARod I think that just might be the end for me. I know this is a business, but businesses can and do run with a mission of class and not sell their souls. Buying ARod and dissing Mike Lowell is not what I want the Sox to be about. I can't root for that guy!! I don't care how many hits he gets or how many runs he scores and knocks in.

Next thing you know our Sox players will be wearing red pin stripes! I mean why not, what's the difference if we take ARod? Hopefully that won't happen, but I have a sinking feeling that we are going to watch helplessly as Lowell is long gone and maybe back to the Yankees.

Sign Mike!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamalot23. Show jamalot23's posts

You guys diss Arod because he played for the Yankees. He is just the biggest offensive force the game has ever seen. Imagine if the Yankees ran their business years ago with the same emotion and refused to take a Red Sox player by the name of Babe Ruth solely because he was the enemy???????????????? I am sure even a dimwit like you can figure that one out.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamalot23. Show jamalot23's posts

You guys crack me up. Not sure how much more of this I can take. Yeah I am sure the guy who has assemled the team that has taken 2 of the last 4 World Series probably doesn't have a plan. You idiots assume because he won't overpay your beloved Lowell he doesn't have a clue. You idiots said the same thing about Damon and Pedro and look at those OLD washed up bums.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjns17. Show mjns17's posts

A-Rod puts up great season numbers, but he disappears during the post season. That is the fact! The Sox have done a great job overall the last few seasons but everyone sees all of the conteacts. Lowell is worth four years, you could always switch him and Youk in two years.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lree. Show Lree's posts

We diss him jam because he's a punk!!! Maybe you can reconcile the punk factor in a Sox uni, but I know at the very least I definitely will not like it, and maybe not be able to get around it at all.

Plus, ARod's pysche may not just work in Boston. The majority of the fans don't like him and he will not be able to deal with not feeling the love. The guy chokes in the play offs every year too!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from antares8. Show antares8's posts

I AM SHOCKED!! Dumb, very dumb move.... Lowell is peaking, not in decline
    His mere presence in the clubhouse is invaluable. I cannot believe they let him go.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamalot23. Show jamalot23's posts

All these rah rah lowell guys say there are no other options. If you don't like Arod because of whatever reason or Cabrera (because he will come at a high prospect price and he weighs 300 pds) no problem. The way Theo will fill the position is with a trade for sure if Arod isn't signed. How about Scott Rolen who the Cardinals would love to deal (plus give us money to pay his contract similiar to what we did with renteria) for a fringe prospect because he doesn't get along with Larussa.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lee21469. Show lee21469's posts

Mike Lowell is a great player and he has proven that over the past season. With players such as JD Drew and Lugo gettting good money, I feel Lowell is worth more than these two players. Why dont Theo just give him an option of a fourth year depending on how he plays the next 3 years and possibly throw in a few dollars more.

They are talking about ARod as a trade. The amount they will have to pay him is alot more than what Lowell wants. Lowell is my favorite player and he is a great person. ARod has no personality and he is convinced he is the best player in the universe. What happened to him at post-season. He bombed.

Theo please offer him at least an option of another year. Thats really what he wants. You have lost some great players because of one year. And you say because of his age, well, ARod is just about the same age as Lowell.

Im sure the RED SOX fans dont want to see Lowell in pinstripes........

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbelislecnmt. Show tbelislecnmt's posts

This is ridiculous...............I am sorry but at his age lowell is NOT worth signing to a 4 year contract!!! Just look at Damon when you all were crying we didnt resign him...NOw he can barley walk straight and the yanks are trying to trade him!!! You bandwagon fans need to learn aabout baseball!!

Sections
Shortcuts