1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

MLB Network Greatest Comback Ever

I just watched the amazing 2004 Comback, here are the highlights:

Game 4 Millar Walks, Roberts steals second, Billy Mueller gets the hit, Ortiz homers in 14th wins game.

Game 5, Ortiz homers in 8th, Millar Doubles, Roberts scores tie run again. Ortiz wins game 3 hours later with a single scoring Damon.

Game 6, Schilling pitch's historic game, Belhorn hits game winning homerun

Game 7, Ortiz homers in first, Damon hits 2 Homeruns, drives in 6, Lowe pitch's great.

Bullpen goes 19.2/3 final 4 games with 1.83 ERA

Just one question with all these highlights, where was Manny Law carrying the team? Batting 3rd not 4th BTW.

There were actually 24 other guys who played.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuschBound. Show BuschBound's posts

That was beautiful tph! I caught it on #3 and I knew we hadto be #1!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

Softlaw atleast we agree on this . . . . .you did leave out the .264 BA in 2007 WS too. You just dont give 37 year olds huge multi year contracts.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I'm not one for piling on Manny, but if this guy is such a necessary cog in creating a winning team, then why are 30 teams passing on him?

I wonder if Manny will sign with the Yomiuri Giants...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Why is it so important to you guys to rewrite history into making Manny a non essential factor. I can pick out games where Papi and others went oh-for also. What does it prove? Ok , you hate the guy. He's a quitter. But why totally erase all the big hits he got, not just in the playoffs, where he holds the alltime record for PO HRs and is 2nd in PO RBIs (I'm sure all of these were in 13-0 games), but also the season stats that helped get us there? It really makes all of us Sox fans look like idiots when you all pretend Manny sucked. And you thp, get real, you called Manny maybe the 7th or 8th best RH hitter of all time, then pretend he's a nobody. You are caught in the Theo-loving bash all ex-Redsox players fever.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How about just looking at how the Sox even got to the series with the Yanks?

Manny: 2004 Season .308 43 130 OPS 152
    (Your fave stat thp: Ortiz OPs 145)
    Suppose you can find a way to write those stats away too, huh?

To get us to the Yanks:

Game 1: 2-5 HR 2B 3RBI Sox win 9-3
    Game 2: 1-3 2B, SF 2 RBI Sox win 8-3
    Game 3: 2-5 2RBI Sox win 8-6

Vs Yanks:

Game 4: 5th inning , down 2-1 mand on 1st and 2nd, Manny walks and Ortiz singles for 2 RBI, not 1, Varitek Ks for last out. Sox ahead 3-2 not tied. 8th inning, down 4-3 Manny lead off single, Ortiz K, then no hits, inning over. 9th: tied 4-4, man on 2nd and 3rd, Manny walks and Ortiz pops out to end inning. 12th: Manny single, Ortiz HR. Manny hardly inconsequential.

Game 5: 1st inning 0-0. Manny singles, is forced out, but we score 2. 3rd inning ahead 2-1: Manny singles and is stranded. 14th tied 4-4, damon walks, manny walks him to 2nd, Ortiz singles in game winner. Manny plays big role in win. What games were you watching?

Game 7: 1st inning Damon on 2nd, Manny singles, is it his fault Damon is thrown out at home? Ortiz homers up 2-0 and on their way to big win.

Maybe not a great series on paper, but not too shabby either. Then he goes on to win WS MVP, true others could have won it, but he did pretty good at 1.09 OPS

now 2007: .296 20 88 in 133 gms

div PO OPS 1.74
    Champ OPS 1.29

'08 with LA in POs 1.75 OPS

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[Quote]

It's you who won't stop with the Manny obscession, like a guy on the Titanic telegraph screaming about the guy who made the lifeboat number decisions. It's over, no one has minimized Manny's contributions, but you have overblown them. It was a team effort, and Manny was one of the core players on a team that had other core and supporting role players who had to do their jobs.

Let it go![/Quote]

You can't let it go. You always need the last word. When did I ever say nobody else was needed to win the rings? Even when I wrote: No Manny - No Rings, I said you could say the same about at least 5-7 other players. Ortiz was huge. Schill was huge. I don't try to lesson their contributions. Nobody is huge in all games. Manny was huge, he's gone now, I get it. Life goes on, but his stats and big hits don't change no matter how you spin it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

Moon I like your research, but honestly, your missing the point of the thread.

It think it is interesting how he remains unsigned, dont you?

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrDee. Show MrDee's posts

And you nuts complain when Yankee fans bring up the past.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[Quote]

It's you who won't stop with the Manny obscession, like a guy on the Titanic telegraph screaming about the guy who made the lifeboat number decisions. It's over, no one has minimized Manny's contributions, but you have overblown them. It was a team effort, and Manny was one of the core players on a team that had other core and supporting role players who had to do their jobs.

Let it go![/Quote]

The guys starts a thread about the greaatest comeback and then goes out of his way to make the point that Manny had nothing to do with it. I point out the facts and how Manny played a vital role in the comeback. Yet, you point out I am the one obsessed. I didn't start the shameful thread. I may be obsessed by the true history, but the real obsession is with those trying to rewrite history with Manny as a minor or total non factor.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[Quote]Even when I wrote: No Manny - No Rings, I said you could say the same about at least 5-7 other players.

Then why didn't you say that it was a team effort instead of saying it was all Manny?
    [/Quote]

I did say it many many times, you just choose to ignore those threads.

Saying "NO Manny-NO Rings" does not mean it was only him. You need a lesson in logic. I often said you can also say, "NO Schill-No Rings", No Papi- NO Rings" and the same about 5-6 other players. I know it is a team game, but don't deny that Manny was needed to win. If he was needed to win (like other players also), then you can say: without Manny, we have no rings. Without Schill or ______- No rings. Simple really.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DWIGHTRIGHT. Show DWIGHTRIGHT's posts

[Quote]
    Moon I like your research, but honestly, your missing the point of the thread.

It think it is interesting how he remains unsigned, dont you?
    [/Quote](TPH2004)

no team is dumb enough to give manny more than a 1 year contract.
    two things were made very apparent last year:
    1) a long contract causes manny to relax and play only when he wants.
    2) a one year contract forces manny to play hard everyday. manny hates that.

based on what we're seeing now, the war between manny and the boston FO was won by the boston FO.

BTW, bay is going to have a huge year for boston. manny will finally be forgotten, except for the few who can't shake the past.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TOMTHEREDSOXFAN. Show TOMTHEREDSOXFAN's posts

Can we please just stop talking about manny and start talking about players who are going to be imployed

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

People keep blaming law and I for bringing up Manny. Most of the time somebody else does, and almost always they are making false claims about him, we respond with the truth and people tell us to stop talking about Manny.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Here I was thinking this was going to be a feel good about the Sox thread and then I read Manny had nothing to do with the Comeback. LOL... The truth is, you didn't have to see it on MLB to know it was the biggest comeback ever... Most Sox fans, not to mention just about every other person on the planet, Yankme Fans Especially, already knew that. Just like most Sox fans should know Manny was a big part of it simply because he was in the lineup. Any lineup is better with Manny in it, Period !! I could care less why Manny don't have a job now but look at it this way... He'll probably never have to "Work" another day of his or three other lifetimes !! Most Sox fans should not be surprised by this simply because we knew Manny didn't like ST anyway, and what better way to get out of it ?? Let it go already mainly because, while he may not have been the "only" reason the Sox won it all those two seasons only a true moron would think he had nothing to do with it !! Your just making yourself look really Stupid by taking a Magical Moment in Sox history and trying to distort it into another reason why you hate Manny !! Nobody Cares, he is no longer on the team !!

GO SOX 2009 !!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

The point of the thread was simple, it was not a one man show I posted this because as of Sunday you were still debating his departure, no manny no rings stuff and I thought it was simply ironic on MLB Network they have the greatest comebacks of all time and at #1, 2004 ALCS, Manny's only highlight came with him running in from LF with his finger in the air.

Honestly, many teams have won titles with far less superior hitters batting third or fourth then Manny. See his two WS apperences with Cleveland vs Atlanta and Florida.

It is, was and will always be about pitching and defense. He teams lost because they didnt have great pitching while Atlanta and Florida had more. Which is why Boston won in 04/07. Manny was a important player but not the guy who was at anytime the man that carried the team when they needed it the most.

I was on the Santana bangwagon until Lester became a STUD. When Lester emerged as a great pitcher the debate no longer was neccesary and Theo was right and I was humbled.

You don't always respond with truth, many times it is simply your opinion, when facts prove other wise.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

Al, he had 1 RBI in the most dramatic comeback in MLB History . . . .sorry I dont agree with you. I think Manny was a great hitter, but got small many times in big moments which is the opposite of Ortiz. If you can find a huge hit in the 8 straight they won by Manny, a game changer be my guest. Ortiz had a dozen.

It is not only my opinion but facts. If you want to debate it be happy to with all the numbers that would probably make your head hurt.

Besides Al, this is about a handful of guys saying he CARRIED the team which simply couldnt be further from the truth. I will agree as you said "Part" of the team but never was he the driving force.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkindc. Show dkindc's posts

I just watched a rebroadcast of the 1986 world series on ESPN this past weekend. I couldn't watch the end!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

I know you want to talk about numbers and that's fine. Obviously numbers are what matters, after the game, when one can look back and make judgement calls such as the one you're trying to make in this thread, However it's my contention that no matter what Manny's actual numbers in those limited games were, his presence in the lineup had to be a major focus of the opposing team's pitching staff. I could argue all day and night that no matter what his numbers were he made it easier on the other players in the lineup by him having in there, but he did bat .300 during that series and if Moon's rendition of the last couple of games is correct it looks like to me The Yankme's wanted no part of Manny with people on Base so they walked him. The guy only batted .385 and .412 in the other two series. Maybe when you finally get around to watching the 2007 Series against the Indians, another great comback in Sox History, you will notice Manny batting .409 with 2 HRs and 10 RBIs not to mention being walked 9 times. You don't have to listen to me or anybody else about Manny's worth on a team, when he's actually on a team, all you have to do is look back to last season with the Dodgers. Maybe you were looking at A-Rod those last games ??
    GO SOX 2009 !!

25. This post has been removed.