1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lopi1122. Show lopi1122's posts

NUMBER 5

Rocco Baldelli to wear a number 5 jersey for Boston. First time the number has been given away since Nomar, the face of the franchise, was traded. Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulRodgers. Show PaulRodgers's posts

NUMBER 5

they should have given him incentives if he chose to wear 24

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

NUMBER 5

Yep So what Here is the list of
    NUMBER 5's

Otis Miller 1931
    Marv Olson 1932
    Johnny Hodapp 1933
    Carl Reynolds 1934
    Moose Solters 1935
    Oscar Melillo 1935
    Billy Werber 1936
    Mike Higgins 1937-38
    Jim Tabor 1939-44
    Jim Bucher 1945
    Rip Russell 1945-47
    Matt Batts 1947
    Vern Stephens 1948-52
    Ted Lepcio 1953-54
    Mike Higgins 1955-59 (MGR)
    Ron Jackson 1960
    Mike Higgins 1960-62 (MGR)
    Russ Nixon 1963-65
    George Scott 1966-71
    Danny Cater 1972-74
    Buddy Hunter 1975
    Denny Doyle 1975-77
    George Scott 1979
    Bob Watson 1979
    Tony Perez 1980-82
    Jeff Newman 1983-84
    Spike Owen 1986
    Brady Anderson 1988
    Randy Kutcher 1989-90
    Herm Winningham 1992
    Scott Fletcher 1993-94
    Nomar Garciaparra 1996-2004

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

NUMBER 5

Don't worry - chances are he won't ever where #5 outside of Florida.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

NUMBER 5

And Jeff Bagwell who wore #5 for Houston!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

NUMBER 5

I don't know which excites me more: Rocco's 4 home runs last season or his 13 RBIs.

Come on - I know you all love the local kid angle - but Van Every is a much better option at 4th OF.

MUCH BETTER.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

NUMBER 5

A good gamble with much upside and only short-term downside.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

NUMBER 5

Couldn't care less, with respect....I think the "retired number" concept was a good-hearted concept as was the HOF. But both have become a sham.....PR, "entitlement", accumulation.

I never saw Ruth, or Gehrig, or Cobb, or Johnson (W) play, but their legacy and statistical dominance over their peers makes me believe they are worthy of the HOF.

In my lifetime (first live game 1971) which players would I put in a proper HOF with Ruth, Mays, Koufax, Clemente? (ignoring alleged cheating)

Absolutely yes: Bench, Pedro, Ozzie, Schmidt, Rickey, Bonds, Clemens...more...

Absolutely no: Rice, Sutton, Biggio, Palmeiro, Mussina...more...

If I ran than HOF, I'd either set a limit on member numbers (say, 100 max, one in means one out) or a 95% vote floor....if it takes 15 years or the vets committee to sneak in, isn't that a message that you aren't fit to cure the Babe's syphilis?

I wouldn't put Dave Kingman in my HOF, but I'd let him cut the line in front of Rice, Biggio, Sutton, Blyleven, Lee Smith, Hawk, Palmeiro, Mussina, Eddie Murray, Tony Perez.....he wouldn't get a ticket, but at least he could large it over the other rabble.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

NUMBER 5

[Quote]I don't know which excites me more: Rocco's 4 home runs last season or his 13 RBIs.

Come on - I know you all love the local kid angle - but Van Every is a much better option at 4th OF.

MUCH BETTER.[/Quote]

With respect, Mrs. Van Every, I must disagree. While your 29-year old son's 2008 AAA OPS was .884, the 27-year old Baldelli's was .819 in MLB despite years of struggling with a debilitating illness.

Also, you might want to lower your son's expections by pointing out that at this point in his career he has played only 228 games above AA (only 11 in MLB) whereas Baldelli has played 447 games in the MFL.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

NUMBER 5

[Quote]they should have given him incentives if he chose to wear 24[/Quote]

They should just retire Dewey's number.

Sections
Shortcuts