1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maddog2020. Show maddog2020's posts

Papelbon a starter?

15 million a year for a set up man - not even the yankees would do that - well at least I don't think they would.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paulie1004. Show Paulie1004's posts

Papelbon a starter?

The Experiment didn’t work last time when management was going to make Paps a starter and to the other point another poster made Paps was the one who came to management and let them know that he would be the everyday closer. I think Paps is best as a closer he has the closers mindset and is crazy as can be just like most closers are. Let’s keep the bulldog in the pen versus in the front yard going out every five days.

Beside if the Sox were to go for another closer which I would not want them to I would go after Joe Nathan first but he is not a FA and Sox would have to make a trade for him. Paps is the man though best guy I would want on the mond in the 9th.

K-rod setup man not going to happen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

Papelbon a starter?

So take the the closer, who has yet to give up a run in post season, which is a record 25 innings, our guy who we love, who really has three pitches, a four seam FB, a Team Seam FB and a splitter.

No Pap is a closer, his mind set is just that. Lets say he is not a thinking man and starters need to go through the process of various pitches, recall situations ect . . . . .

Pap is perfect for what he does.

K Rod, over rated period. To many base runners, he lost 4 to 5 MPH off FB look at the numbers. Also, simply look at 2 of last three playoff apperences. Game winning Homeruns. I just dont think he is the answer and there is no way he goes from 60 something saves to Pap's wing man.
    Yes, I will add his manager used him perfectly for which he benifited.
    Before you say replace Pap with K Rod, incase anyone missed it Pap has become rivera. He pitches more then one inning when needed. Not alot of closers who do that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

Papelbon a starter?

Paps is a great closer, let's leave him there. Make a run at CC Sabathia along with the Yankees. Masterson could join the rotation if necessary. Wake could return. He is still a good number 5.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT93. Show BurritoT93's posts

Papelbon a starter?

Please dude, I cant take a whole winter of dumb ideas.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffg316. Show jeffg316's posts

Papelbon a starter?

keep paps as closer. deal for peavy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuckhndrsn. Show chuckhndrsn's posts

Papelbon a starter?

"Does this mean he is going to have that "i have to take a dump" look on his face when he pitches starting from the 1st inning." of course not, by the second inning he'd have already crapped his pants. but i do wonder, if he did crap his pants on the mound, i think he'd be even more angry looking.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carolina-soxfan. Show carolina-soxfan's posts

Papelbon a starter?

[Quote]keep paps as closer. deal for peavy.[/Quote]

I'm not so sure about Peavy. He plays in the National League which would all but guarantee he won't be quite as stellar pitching in the A.L. East. Also, we would most likely have to give up the farm for him. Who do you propose we trade to get him?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Papelbon a starter?

You've got the best clutch closer in the game behind Mariano and you want to make him a starter---I don't get it! We've got a ton of holes on this team but closer isn't one of them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tampabaysox. Show tampabaysox's posts

Papelbon a starter?

How do you project 69 innings into 15-20 wins? Papelbon is worn out after pitching 3 innings over 2 days.
    Next subject please.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bpoojsna. Show bpoojsna's posts

Papelbon a starter?

first of all do you really expect him to get 15-20 wins....c'mon he doesn't have great pitches besides the fastball (which would hurt him outside the pen)

second, schilling? really? do u think he'll be back

third he tried this already and made the decision to stay a closer

fourth, our problem isn't the starting rotation, its the pen, so why would we weaken our pen to make an already good rotation a little better

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtDog78. Show DirtDog78's posts

Papelbon a starter?

If Daniel Bard who has the stuff, not sure about the mental make up can step in and be the new closer, then the Sox can again trying to make Paps a starter. If not, there's really no need stop a good thing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

Papelbon a starter?

To be clear:

113 Saves in 3 seasons, a 1.84 ERA 11 TOTAL BLOWN SAVES in 3 seasons.
    196 Innings, 128 Hits, 36 Walks (164 Base runners) 236 K's, .82 WHIP ERA .92, 1.85, 2.34.

Post Season
    16 Games 2 Wins, 7 Saves, 25 IP, 10 Hits, 6 Walks 22 K's and ZERO EARNED RUNS or UNEARNED RUNS.

I think it is a great idea to take a Rookie, Bard who has a MLB arm no doubt, who I think will be great and replace this historic franchises best closer in 100 years with the unproven rookie.

Pap has a Fastball and Splitter he doesnt have the pitches needed to start and he is perfect mental make up for what he does.

Pap will close until his Arm falls off.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Papelbon a starter?

"Pap has a Fastball and Splitter he doesnt have the pitches needed to start and he is perfect mental make up for what he does."

Yeah and his splitter isn't all that great, plus he doesn't have much movement on his fastball.
    What he needs to do is develop a change or another effective off-speed pitch, otherwise he will eventually get pounded.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nickarcese. Show nickarcese's posts

Papelbon a starter?

This Pap thought is preposterous.

Perhaps we can make Youk a cather and sign Texeria, what the?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jess408. Show jess408's posts

Papelbon a starter?

Honestly, I don't think Pap should be a starter. He's an amazing closer, and I always love how he gets pumped and pumps his fist when he ends the game.

If anyone were to become starter, I think it should be Justin Masterson again. Granted, he's young, and no, it's not only because he's my favorite bullpen pitcher.

I have talked about this all year w/my dad who has been a sox fan since before I was born, and he says he'll be surprised if they don't make Masterson a starter. The kid's got potential. He can really get the job done.

And yes, granted he's Francona's favorite person to put in to set up for Papelbon, and they do an amazing job back to back, they're most of the time pretty guaranteed to give you a couple of shut-out innings (they did that a lot) he should become the starter taken outta the bullpen, and Pap should stay a closer.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

Papelbon a starter?

Masterson has issues and big ones with lefties, even Tony Mazz is missing this, he has close to 800 OPS vs lefties which is not good. Until he cures that he is a BP Pitcher