1. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Papelbon gets $775k deal

ScottsdaleLarry, Know your baseball before you start a lecture. First of all teams have the hammer until�a player reaches his arbitration years, therefore a player has no leverage in negotations with a team until this time. It is the only time a mlb team gets a player on the cheap. The same reason the Yankees are going to pay Hughes, Melky, and Kennedy less than 500k each this season. This is the same reason Papelbon should not expect to be paid comparable to one of the alltime great closers who has over 10 years service time. I'm a RS fan and love what Papelbon brings, but he's way off base here. If he wants RS to sign him to an extension that takes him through arbitration years fine, but he still won't get what Mo's being paid and he shouldn't, not yet anyway. Once he does his time and continues to perform then the RS could make him the highest paid, but not until then. By the way never assume what another person earns, because you might be surprised.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Papelbon gets $775k deal

Look your comparing him to guys who are well past their arbitration years. Thats the way the system works now. Look I love Papelbon, but he has to realize once he does his time he will be among the highest paid relief pitchers, its as simple as that.. The team has the hammer, in a couple of years Paps will have it and will have team at his mercy. If RS do this then what about Pedroia, Elsbury, Lester they'll all be knocking on the door looking for huge raise. If big market teams want to pay big bucks for alot of their players [Manny, Ortiz, Drew, Tek, Beckett, Matsuzaka, Lowell, and Lugo] they need some young inexpensive talent to balance the payroll. When its Paps turn to get big bucks some other young player will be taking his spot and Paps will be taking lets say Manny's spot when he's gone, just the way it works.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tylerandrew. Show tylerandrew's posts

Papelbon gets $775k deal

� Paps is not someone you fool around with. He's too important to the success of the Sox. Just because the Sox have leverage doesn't mean you use it in this case. You overspend on Drew, Lugo and Crisp and your going to nickle and dime Paps. If you had to place Paps in order of importance to the success of the Sox he would be in the top five. I hate to say it but if Paps comes down with some kind of injury the Sox will know how important he is. Take care of him now and keep him happy because he has leverage to, lets hope he doesn't use it with an injury.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Papelbon gets $775k deal

No one is disputing that Papelbon isn't a very big piece for RS. But if your going to do this you might as well tear up Papi's and Becketts contracts as well because they're both underpaid in todays market, and while your at it might as well give more money to Lester, Pedroia, and Elsbury because they're also well underpaid compared to players in the league who will put up similar numbers. So where does it end? Papi and Beckett both signed their contracts in good faith and now must ride them out so to speak, and Papelbon must wait his time. I have no problem w/ RS buying out his arbitration years and giving him an extension, but he still will not be paid as much as Riveria who has over 10 years service and 442 career saves and is one of the alltime best. I'm not disputing that Papelbon might be better right now, but he still must do the time and earn it as Mariano did. For years Mariano was one of the more underpaid pitchers in MLB, he finally got his real payday, more than 10 years after it was started and well earned by the way. Paps has 2 years and 72 career saves, all good things come in time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Papelbon gets $775k deal

Hey Gary - How are you?What do you think about the Sox doing a deal which is similiar in lengh and principle to the one that the Yanks and Cano just signed in the offseason. It takes him through his arbitration years and with the team options, goes through to 2013 (I think). It is slightly below market value but establishes that long term relationship that teams try to build with their young stars and gives them serious scratch. The Mets signed similiar deals with Reyes and Wright a year or two ago. As for the amount of money, Paps will certainly be able to request top closer salary come his arbitration years, so the Sox need to come up with a number that will make both sides happy. Below market but with the security built in: Maybe (5 years total) something like 6 mil, 7.5 mil,�9 mil� with team options for 10 and 12 mil. A big contract - yes; but still slightly below market value in the beginning. Hopefully teams have learned from that disaster of a contract that Texas had given A-Rod and not give the options to the players. The Rivera contract was also a "thank you" for giving the Yanks a Hall of Fame career, not just a what have you done for me lately. I think the Yanks did the same for Posada and will do for Jeter in a few years.It all depends on F.O. thinking. In all my years of watching baseball, I have seen more Yanks retire as Yanks than Sox players retiring in the Sox uniform. I cannot say if that is just a difference in thinking between the two clubs or just the way it has played out.Anyway, that is just my opinion.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaguarxke65. Show jaguarxke65's posts

Papelbon gets $775k deal

I don't see why Papelbon isn't entitled to ask for a pay raise with out being villified, don't forget who's standing in right field for us.� And what about the Golden Boy Ellsbury charging for an autogrpaph, every one was cool with that...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from brianamoro. Show brianamoro's posts

Papelbon gets $775k deal

the players have it pretty good with their collective bargaining agreement , he should shut up and pitch , wait your turn to get paid like everybody else, He's underpaid now and he will probably be overpaid later like every other M.L player. cant have it both ways.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Papelbon gets $775k deal

I'm with the "shut up and pitch" crowd.� Paps should just wait his turn.� His big payday will come soon enough.� And just because the Sox may have overpaid for Drew and Lugo doesn't mean they should continue to overpay players.� Remember, Paps had that shoulder subluxation(sp), so the Sox are probably being cautious to make sure they don't give him a long term contract before they know that he's past his shoulder problems.

Smart move by the Sox, imo.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chicortiz. Show chicortiz's posts

Papelbon gets $775k deal

Love Paps, but be quiet about any and all contract talk, the regular fan cannot relate to people who get to do something they love for a lot of money. Again, I love Paps, but he's going to have to learn, he's young. He will get paid, there is a system in place and does not have the time yet. I hope he's with the Sox for life, but ssshhhhh! for now Janathan

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from robertrjy. Show robertrjy's posts

Papelbon gets $775k deal

Yes he's a good pitcher, but let's cut to the chase, the reality of the matter is he's just another winey athlete who has been pampered his whole life because he can throw a baseball. Yes he's a funny and entertaing guy to listen to, but i knew that eventually his mouth would get him in trouble. I hate to say it but I believe this is the start of what's eventually to come, it may be a few years but eventually his act will get old. It's already starting to with this dancing BS. Just play baseball and shut the #%#@ up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2tacks. Show 2tacks's posts

Papelbon gets $775k deal

I love Pap and he's great, but give me a break.� Didn't I read somewhere, where Pap wants to play on year-to-year contracts? That would be great for him, he could get a raise anytime he had a good year. At the same time he could price himself right out of Boston.� You've only been in the league for a few years Pap. Be patient, you'll get the money.� In the meantime SHUT UP AND PLAY.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from peskypole. Show peskypole's posts

Papelbon gets $775k deal

Yah, take plenty of steriods and grow calases on your fingers. Oh, and play for the Yankers and have the umps give u favorable calls.C'mon, dude, at least put some substance in there.We seem to have an evenly-divided group here.� I maintain that ranting to the media doesn't do anyone any good, but I say give him a Tulowitski type of deal, lock him up for the next 5-6 years, and be done with it.� He won't get Rivera-type money (which was ridiculous, BTW)�until he becomes Rivera, so he can forget about that.� And let's remember his health issues of 2006.� It would suck to have a multi-million dollar albatross hang around the neck of the Red Sox, though I'm sure they'd recover financially. . . :)�

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from billywalsh. Show billywalsh's posts

Papelbon gets $775k deal

This is interesting and very similar to what is happening in the business world and American Idol.The twenty somethings of today in the business world, on American Idol, and even in baseball feel they are entitled to the best coming from nothing because of one their college degree, one good year of throwing a ball, or being picked for a TV show contest. They don't want to take the time to actually work and earn the success, support and respect of their peers.� Rather, they just want it all or none.That's what I'm getting out of this Paps thing, it's not just limited to baseball.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from marc529. Show marc529's posts

Papelbon gets $775k deal

I didn't read though all 9 pages of the discussion so sorry if this is already in here somewhere. The Red Sox have paid far more for far less production. ex. Edgar Renteria, Eric Gagne, Matt Clement.

He's asking for $900K+ for one season? That's chump change in todays market. Rivera is getting 15 million per year and I think Gagne signed with the Brewers for 10mil!! for 1 year.

I say pay the kid the money!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bto. Show bto's posts

Papelbon gets $775k deal

He has to wait for a new contract. He chose to be in MLB and knew the contract when he signed with the Sox.He might have a point but still has to wait. �

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from billywalsh. Show billywalsh's posts

Papelbon gets $775k deal

I agree.� He needs to put in his time before he gets the big contract.� Put up another year or two of GREAT pitching and the pay will follow.� If he fails, no big deal, that's why he's getting paid the rookie/begining years of a baseball players contract.Take a look at Youk.� He spent 3-4 years earning the minimum when we knew he�was producing and proving his ablilities on the field--�and now he has his contract.� Even bigger, he HAS TO perform up to that standard now because he is getting paid for it.Perdroia and Ellsbury will have to put in their time too.� You don't hear Pedroia complaining for more money just because of one sucessful year in the bigs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Papelbon gets $775k deal

What Paps fails to understand is that most fans (who earn a normal wage) won't sympathize with a guy making $400,000+ complaining that he deserves more money.� So whining to the public through the media does not help his cause.� Shut up and pitch and you will get the money you deserve when you put the years of service in just like everyone else!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyujohn. Show garyujohn's posts

Papelbon gets $775k deal

Papelbon is a "cry baby"!!!� Two years ago he was talking more dough for his outstanding performance out of pen! The media builds him up and he is "full of himself"...He's got to grow up or he'll be a cancer in the club house! He acted like an ***hole� with his post "SERIES" dance.� Just shut up and pitch...Earn your strips before asking to be over paid.� I just hope he or his REPS read this post!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from agw. Show agw's posts

Papelbon gets $775k deal

And he's a heck of a dancer.Your point about having success on the level of Rivera is what I thought of immediately upon hearing him whine about his salary.� Hopefully he realizes that they have a very good opportunity to go the distance again and shut up and play ball.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_58852. Show user_58852's posts

Papelbon gets $775k deal

I agree with youngsman's post. Just shut up and pick like we know you can and you'll get your money. Just not today and not through the media. That stinks and shows his immaturity. I thought he was above that.

Dasm

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from milloy8. Show milloy8's posts

Papelbon gets $775k deal

Albert Pujols put up a 1100 OPS his third year in the league and pulled in $900k. Mariano Rivera (who papelbon cited), shut his mouth and paid his dues his first 5 years before signing a big money deal. Papelbon needs to stop embarassing himself.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from crippler228. Show crippler228's posts

Papelbon gets $775k deal

Ah yes.� Spring Training.� Where we make mountains out of mole hills.� I didn't read anything controversial about what the guy said.� All he really said was that the contract situation was not a distraction because there's nothing he can do about it.� He seems to have accepted that to me.� He wasn't complaining, he was answering the questions that were posed to him and he was answering them honestly.� If anything it was more of an�insight into how the pay system works, and nothing more than that.� He also said he was more concerned about his slider.� It was the writer of the article�that segued into, "his slider is not going to help him with his contract."� Pap is not distracted, he's not whining and complaining, he's trying to concentrate on baseball while the media decided to concentrate on his contract.� Let it go.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mangeet. Show mangeet's posts

Papelbon gets $775k deal

ya the red sox are real careful..� like the 8 million for schilling with a bump shoulder and over 40. Hey Pas shouldnt get 10 million or but something north of $500000..... line $2 or $ million...I cringe at the money theya have paid Shilling..... 2005 was a wash out, 2006 was average and last year was avg� and better in the playoffs//////� for $50-60 million......� and we give a half million to teh kid,,, If Schilling pitched as well as Derek Lowe in 2004 playoffs can you imagine the deification of schilling (beyond� what he gets already).......

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nando111. Show nando111's posts

Papelbon gets $775k deal

Shut your trap and just play by the rules, Papelbon.� You sound like a spoiled little brat.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Papelbon gets $775k deal

rjt..i think people are going a bit overboard on this one..though he might have been better served not saying it..IMO it's not so much the Rivera comparison, than what he feels is his worth(not my place to judge)..Mo's body of work speaks for�itself..it's what i'm pretty sure Paps aspires to...whether or not he's worth it rests with the Sox FO..if he's successful he'll be taken care of...