1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Papelbon wants to test free agency

From an article on SI.com:

Papelbon plans to test free-agent market

Views
    Comments
    • 08:45 AM ET 01.18
    • src="http://s7.addthis.com/js/152/addthis_widget.js" type="text/javascript">
    • Print It
    • My T&R

Although they have now managed to tie up Dustin Pedroia and Kevin Youkilis for six and four years, respectively, the Red Sox should not expect to do the same with closer Jonathan Papelbon, who is telling friends he has no intention of giving up his free agency rights in three years. It's Papelbon's position that, in agreeing to switch from starter to closer two springs ago, he made the ultimate sacrifice for the Red Sox considering that closers make less than starters. They also break down more, while starters are coddled.

New York Daily News

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'm fine with that. If we have Bard ready, we can take the two draft picks, let the NYY pay him $15M+, and use the $15M elsewhere. No need to chase.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac28. Show pinstripezac28's posts

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from billsrul. Show billsrul's posts

Good. Let him go to free agency in three years then if he wants a record-breaking deal. Closers aren't all that necessary, they are fairly simple to pick up, and Papelbon still has health issues. Also, Papelbon seems to have it kind of twisted that he "made the sacrifice for the Red Sox". Wasn't he the one that wanted to close as well? I never heard him really complain and say "I'd rather start, but I'll do what's best for the team" or anything of that nature....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Well, obviously the Mets signing of F-Rod (and Puttz) will have an effect on Pap's salary when he goes to arbitration. This is a good thing, though, as we might get a better understanding of how much he's worth. 3 years is a long time to wait for free agency. He might want to change his tune for his own good because he'd probably make more if he signed lets say for example a $45m contract for 4 years right now. Anyone have any thoughts on this subject? I could be wrong.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from manfredoko. Show manfredoko's posts

Bard will be the successor if Papelbon's demands are too high. I have less respect for him than I do for Pedroia and Youkilis at this point, not because he won't accept a discount but that he won't sign an extension even if he deems it reasonable, because he WANTS an absurd bidding war over him.

Nothing illegal or terrible about it, but not as respectable as the aforementioned twosome.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jastaleyfromms. Show jastaleyfromms's posts

how stupid are some of you joe manfredoko and billsrul? Ok lets let the best closer in the game walk away for a pitcher who has had one great season in the minors and hasn't pitched a major league game. Just because he can hit triple digits doesn't mean anything. Daniel cabrera could and look at him. Why let the best closer in the game right now walk away

Jim thats the same thing i thought when i saw the article Ny probaly just wants all hell to break lose with boston and paps so they can get him when mo leaves

yeah billsrul closers aren't that necessary even though they finsih games for you but no we don't need them amybe you would want to put wakefield in since closers arent all that important huh.