1. You have chosen to ignore posts from grego84. Show grego84's posts

Patriots 3rd Receiver Options?

Anyone read anything on what the Pats are gonna do about a third receiver for '09? I saw the other day that they brought in Mike Furrey from the Lions for a visit, could be a good fit considering he has a similar style and story to Welker (under-appreciated, underrated - had almost 100 receptions in '06 with the Lions). But other than that I haven't heard much outside of Amani Toomer. Any thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I think the ongoing concensus is that the time is right for NE to make a move toward youth.

Being realistic, Moss only has two to three more seasons of being Moss as we know him. I wouldn't write him off after that, but historically 35 is kind of the year that a lot of great WR's hit a wall or start a downward slope.

The fact that NE keeps him away from contact is a plus in this department.

So, maybe someone who would be a depth/competition type sign, and then a first day pick on a WR?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cmjoh0. Show cmjoh0's posts

See if the Bengals would bite on Ocho Cinco for one of our third rounders or possibly a fourth rounder (see: Randy Moss)? Him and Bill always throw praise at each other and it would give Chad a legit chance at a ring. Lining up with Moss, Welker, and Chad would create matchup problems for every team in the league. I not sure but I dont think Chads contract would be a huge burden either.

Just a thought.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from grego84. Show grego84's posts

I know they got Deion Branch in the second round out of Louisville back in the day...I know the Pats have more pressing needs (LB, CB, S, OL) but are there any good value second round receivers that could fall to the Pats if available?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

No. They are going to draft one, and/or grab someone real cheap for depth/competition.

I think the question is where they take one, and who they might tap as a dirt cheap FA.

I can't see em' moving any of their other players to full time wideout.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Oh, and I wouldnt' rule out giving Matt Slater a chance as a split end.

I know it sounds like a long shot, but he has the speed and size to get seperation on the perimeter.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from levar. Show levar's posts

the patriots are going to get chad johnson

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Faucetman says Baker isn't a receiver.

Zbellino says Baker isn't a blocker.

What is he?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

No. They are not.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

A WR could be what they take 3rd or 4th round, someone to also help in the return game like, Lewis Murphy he might be gone by the 2nd round but if he's there in the 3rd I think the Pats will take him.

Another guy is Juaquin Iglesias not as fast as Murphy but good hands. Also Derrick Williams, I think because of a bad (for him) 40 time he'll drop to late 3rd round, Aaron Kelly is a guy that was projected to be a top receiver this year but had a bad 2008 season. If he can become the receiver he was in 2007 the Pats would have their #2 and possibly Moss' replacement.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Anyone who thinks he is a blocking TE wasn't watching him play. He is a possession type TE. He won't break a big play,but he will secure the catch when you need it.

Stats mean nothing in the face of the overwhelming evidence that NY jsut hasn't thrown the ball as much as NE.

His hands are more sure than Watson, but Watson can do more with the ball after the catch (when he isn't fumbling it).

Watson is a better blocker than Baker is.

But don't believe me, believe Scouts Inc:
    Comment: Baker is a short, thickly-built tight end who isn't a powerful blocker at the point of attack, but has enough athleticism to be an effective target in the passing game. He was the third-leading receiver who has good foot agility, quickness and balance to be an effective short and intermediate route-runner. He has improved as a route-runner by using his body to get separation. He has good, reliable hands to extend and make receptions away from his body. Baker doesn't have great burst or speed to stretch deep seams and he can be a liability as a run-blocker at the point of attack or anchoring versus bull rushers off the edge. He has developed into a solid football player, but is somewhat one dimensional because he is primarily used as a receiving tight end and wall-off type blocker.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from levar. Show levar's posts

why not zbellino?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Because it is an expensive luxury. And he is trying to shoot his way out of Cincy because they won't give him more money.

In theory it sounds great, but in reality it doesn't make any sense.

They are either going to sign someone cheap, promote someone, or draft someone, or any combination of the three.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

mmm wouldn't it be nice if they would use Hochstein as that blocking TE? He might be the best option for those running dows.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Watson is a better blocker than Baker. Especially after last season. He was really in the mix, and helped NE get its running game going like never before. I believe McDaniels and BB both said something to that effect at one point.

That fantasy breakdown is probably accurate based on what he figured to do on the Jets.

Keller spelled the end of Bakers' tenure there simply becuas he can cathc, and is a bigger threat to break a play. ESPN scouts broke it down like this:

Keller was a bit like an H-back in that he ran plays from all over Purdue's offensive formation, and he flashed what passed for game-breaking speed in the Big Ten. Now, let's not get carried away: He doesn't have Vernon Davis' quicks. But we saw Keller take it to the house on numerous occasions in 2007, and his wide-receiver-quality hands will make him enticing for the Jets to use right away. He's not, however, ready to be a run- or pass-blocker in the NFL, so either New York will have to use two-tight end sets to keep him on the field, or he'll sit some. This pick may mean Chris Baker is on his way out of town, with Bubba Franks sticking around to block.

Keller doesn't have to block to beat out Baker, he does other things better. In fact he is a completely different type of TE altogether. I would compare him more to a Dallas Clark, but a little thicker.

Seriously, Faucet if you are expecting Baker to come here and block you will be disappointed. He isn't that kind of TE. He is a possesion guy, who you can count on. That is why he is so appealing to BB. He will just make the catch.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Whatever happened to Ramses Barden in the 4th, ZB ? He looks like he could be a decent possession WR. I still think some one (Aiken) could emerge as the 3rd WR, but there is some level of uncertainty about who it will be. Neither Chad Johnson or Coles is going to happen. Toomer is more likely. I don't know that WR warrants a day one pick, ZB. There are alot of other issues that could be addressed (OLB, SS, ILB, OL, CB) before we take a WR. But again it about depth and value; if you can get a future #2 receiver in the 2nd or 3rd the Pats could pull the trigger. I do agree that we need more depth at WR for now and for the future, I just don't know how high on the priority list WR is right now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Yeah Faucet,

I am starting to really think that one of the first day picks goes to a wideout. I had some guys before the combine, but now I am thinking someone like Robiskie would be a great guy to bring in. He is the prototype WR at 6'3" 205 with a nice 4.48 type and a great vertical.

Coming from the Big-Ten he might not have exposure to the NFL stye routes he will need to run in NE, but he would only need to be the third guy at first. They could bring him along nicely, and in a couple years he could be a thick, fast dynamic threat.

I really hope they don't grab another shrimp WR.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Yeah, Barden and Robiskie. Get two!

I think Barden could be a good compliment. Asa deep threat he is good, but he needs time to get up to speed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I think you can find a future number one reciever in this WR draft. It is (and this is arguable) the best position in the draft.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

I've been really high on Robiskie for a while now, and think he would be a great selection at #47.

If they choose to go the free agency route, what about a guy like Hank Baskett? He made some nice plays for Philly, and was also a special teams captain in 2007, something that surely would be attractive to BB. He's also young and has great physical tools to develop into a better player than he is now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Yes Pye,

I watched OSU but was usually looking at their QB and Moreno. I saw some of Robiskie though.

You really mentioned him a few times here, and got me a little intrigued. To the point where my Big-10 bias might be put aside.

It really is his tangibles that are so attractive. And seeing as hwo NE has Moss and Welker they could nurse someone like him along to be an actual NFL reciever.

Given the uncertainty of WR prospects (other than for QB's who come from gimmicky option systems, there is no otherposition in football where more changes between college and the pros) I think moving on an exceptional athlete in the first is a great way to go. And do it now, or at the latest next season to develop them.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I don't know with the need to upgrade ILB and OLB we would get a WR before the third specially since the LBs in this draft that will go in the second round in last year's draft were probably 1st rounders. With that type of talent on the board and the deapth at WR in this draft getting a WR before the 3rd probably won't happen, BUT it's BB who the hell knows. What ever he does will turn out to be the right decision in the long run.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

We have plenty of money to sign a good WR like Coles. I don’t think you will be seeing a rookie starting this year at WR. (or any year that BB is Coach). Plus look at the wonderful experience we had with the last WR we drafted and had high expectation in.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Plenty of money???? when you look at possibly signing Bodden, Vince, and possibly Taylor you don't leave much for cap room. Coles is an over rated player who thinks he can make more than 6 mil a year which he turned down from the Jets.

I don't think he's a real option to bring to NE.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I would also add that Robiskie had a very good 10yard split which is probably important for a guy of his size.

It isn't as fast as super speedster Harvin, but it is every bit as fast as some really elite wideouts like Maclin. etc.

It is important there for being a possesion (T.O.) kind of reciever.