1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Pats OL Needs Affirmative Action!

Sorry folks, I'm as diehard a Pats fan as their is(since 1984) but this getting nuts. The only African American O-linemen to be signed was Anthony Clement, but looks like he ended up on IR before the ink was dry on his contract. What's up with this! Are the Pats discriminating against non-white offensive linemen? I don't care what color the Pats OL is, if they can protect Brady, I'm happy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

submit already

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Two words. One future draft pick: Andre Smith, Alabama. The Pats would definitely have to trade up to get him though. Already being compared to Orlando Pace and if your team is going to draft an OT in the top ten, he'd better be as good as Pace. A more likely scenario is getting some depth with 3rd and 4th rounders.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

White people are more likely to be big and fat... OR, and I won't go into the fact that the "whitey" O-lineman are tryin' to protect their "Leader" Q-B from the on-rush of the "Black man" D-Lineman...no, that's just too far overboard...

of note: I can say these things because I can quote (and trully love) the works of Leroi Jones and better, Langston Hughes...and I'm voting for Obama

p.s. Maya Angelo sucks whatever her skin tone is

EDIT: If ANYONE actually believes anything I wrote in the first part...that would make Laz very sad...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Fear not Grogan, Billy Yates is African American. He's our starting RG until/if Stephen Neal returns.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Honest Question: Isn't Wesley Brit African American?
    ...my absolute fav lineman, unheralded, freak of nature size, We WILL see Brit this year, oh yes, We WILL

of note: Brit may be black, or I maight just be thinkin' about the kid on Different Strokes.....I always confuse the two

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Excellent, excellent, excellent Question... My Honest Answer: 'cause most white people weren't stolen from their homeland, brought over in chains, and whipped into forced labor. Now that I say this, it makes the first part sound sarcastic, but it wasn't... In ALL "My Honest Answer" point, is, at times (read:not even close to ALWAYS), just an Honest cop-out...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[Quote]Why is it considered politically correct to address race from the minority perspective? Why is it ok to say "how come there aren't more black (fill in the blank with Quarterbacks, Coaches, etc.) people in these roles? Ask the question that way and everyone just goes, "yeah, why don't we?"

But if one were to ask "why aren't there more white running backs, wide receivers, cornerbacks, sprinters, heavy weight boxers, etc. etc. they would be perceived as being racist.

Why the double standard?[/Quote]

I really wasn't trying to make this a race issue, but how else can you address the O-line issues when you look at video of Patriot practices? I've been very concerned with this O-Line since the SB. The lack of depth is scary, because if Brady gets hurt, the Pats will look like a Pats team we would all like to forget.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

ROFLOL... In relation to Al Davis's face anyway.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DennisLamp. Show DennisLamp's posts

I don't know, being coached by Jerry Glanville is nothing short of horrid.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from canadayd08. Show canadayd08's posts

Honestly, this is the most stupid post I have ever seen. In case you didn't know, three African American linemen are on our team, Anthony Clement, Billy Yates, and Oliver Ross. The fact that you even brought this up shows your stupidity. Its called picking the best linemen for your team. If they happen to be black, or white, then they are just black or white. This does not, in any fashion, involve racial discrimination.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Anthony Clement, Billy Yates, and Oliver Ross

Sorry, I forgot about those all-pro's. But you can't count Clement, he was only brought in to be placed on IR.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[Quote]

I see what you mean but I still think it is actually sorta racist to assume that because they aren't performing and they are white that it is because they are white.

Could it be that the Pats just keep acquiring sucky O-linemen (draft, trade, FA, however . . .)???

Another way to look at it would be if half the guys were black this conversation wouldn't be happening. Then we'd all just say "why do they keep getting sucky guys."

.[/Quote]

I never said these players sucked because they are white, but the players they are bring in to fill holes on the O-line suck on an NFL talent level and of course they are all white. From the Globe: "McMahon has not appeared in an NFL game, and while Stokes (34) and Welbourn (32) have considerable experience, they are also the type of players who are available for a reason - their best days have passed them by."

You mean to tell me there isn't better talent out there besides these guys to defend the greatest Patriot of all time? And when you consider the % of white players vs. black in the NFL, it can easily be said that the largest talent pool out there is going to be African American. But the only recent signing of one took a trip to IR before he could finish reading the contract.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gullbeer10. Show gullbeer10's posts

I'm sure Coach B goes to bed every night wondering how to get more black offensinve linemen on the team. By far the most moronic thread I've seen. Your initial post sadly says a lot about how you see the world. Save your BS for the appropriate blogs, and let the majority here talk football.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Okay, so I guess if I was to say that their are more talented black football players in the NFL vs. white, I'm automatically a racist. Hmmm. this entire time I thought I was just speakin the truth.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bronson05. Show bronson05's posts

Everyone know's it's because African Americans are not smart enough to play OL. What the hell are you talking about Grogan. First you complain about the fact that there are no black players on the OL, and then you say that you don't care as long a Brady's protected. Which is it? I can't believe that we still throw racism into the conversation. Especially in sports. How about this. Why are there not more African American's in auto racing? The hillbillies that run that circut sure know how to keep the black man down. PONDER THAT!
    LOL

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Downright silly topic. The starting O-line is all white and the starting D-line is all black.

This oddity might possibly be due to the race-based drafting priorities of the league's 31 other general managers. Scott Pioli clearly drafts and picks up players who can play. Maybe white O-line and black D-line players were what was on the board at the time (although in fairness Pioli got to draft practically first when selecting all three top D-line players).

Pioli favors average-sized or worse O-linemen, the undrafted types like Steve Neal, the castoffs from other teams. White men can't block?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LenDaleUSC06. Show LenDaleUSC06's posts

Hmm... Legislate Black OL for the Patriots. That's funny the whole starting DL is black. Their has to be a place for unathletic white-guy maulers/placekickers/punters/QB's & at all those pos. the Pats have plugged. All the QB's are (white are the Pats trying to say something there as well!!) The Punter & the Placekicker are white. Kyle Eckel & Heath Evans are both white & they are RB's should we just cut them b/c they are white just for good measure. We do have approx. 16 OL and only the following are black: Anthony Clement OL & Oliver Ross OL. Wow, let's not talk to loud or Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton might try to come in & investigate & try & may a quick buck on the Black name by trying to smear the Pats w/a black stroke so they can make millions off the deal. Next folks will say that they want to legislate a certain # of ethnicities for each NFL pos. What a joke if you are good enough any NFL team will bring you in for a look & hire you if you are coachable & willing to sign for what the Pats want you for. Maybe some of the reason that there isn't more Black OL is that they are ungrateful & don't want to play for the Veteran NFL Minimum?? Ever think about that one??

14 Blacks on Offense!! & 26 Blacks on Defense!!

Tom Brady
    QB
    6-4
    Michigan

Matt Cassel
    QB
    6-4
    USC

Matt Gutierrez
    QB
    6-4
    Idaho State

Kevin O'Connell
    QB
    6-6
    R
    San Diego State

Kevin Faulk
    RB
    5-8
    LSU

LaMont Jordan
    RB
    5-10
    Maryland

Laurence Maroney
    RB
    5-11
    Minnesota

Kyle Eckel
    FB
    5-11
    Navy

Heath Evans
    FB
    6-0
    Auburn

Sammy Morris
    FB
    6-0
    Texas Tech

Sam Aiken
    WR
    6-2
    North Carolina

Jabar Gaffney
    WR
    6-1
    Florida

Chad Jackson
    WR
    6-1
    Florida

C.J. Jones
    WR
    5-11
    Iowa

Randy Moss
    WR
    6-4
    Marshall

Matt Slater
    WR
    6-0
    R
    UCLA

Kelley Washington
    WR
    6-3
    Tennessee

Wes Welker
    WR
    5-9
    Texas Tech

Marcus Pollard
    TE
    6-3
    Bradley

Stephen Spach
    TE
    6-4
    Fresno State

David Thomas
    TE
    6-3
    Texas

Benjamin Watson
    TE
    6-3
    Georgia

Dan Connolly
    C
    6-4
    Southeast Missouri State

Dan Koppen
    C
    6-2
    Boston College

Lonie Paxton
    C
    6-2
    Sacramento State

Russ Hochstein
    G
    6-4
    Nebraska

Logan Mankins
    G
    6-4
    Fresno State

Jimmy Martin
    G
    6-5
    Virginia Tech

Pete McMahon
    G
    6-8
    Iowa

Stephen Neal
    G
    6-4
    Cal State Bakersfield

Ryan O'Callaghan
    G
    6-7
    California

Barry Stokes
    G
    6-4
    Eastern Michigan

Billy Yates
    G
    6-2
    Texas A&M

Wesley Britt
    OT
    6-8
    Alabama

Anthony Clement
    OT
    6-8
    Louisiana-Lafayette

Nick Kaczur
    OT
    6-4
    Toledo

Matt Light
    OT
    6-4
    Purdue

Oliver Ross
    OT
    6-4
    Iowa State

John Welbourn
    OT
    6-5
    California

Defense

NO.
    NAME
    POS
    WT
    EXP
    COLLEGE

Titus Adams
    DT
    6-4
    Nebraska

Steve Fifita
    DT
    6-0
    Utah

Le Kevin Smith
    DT
    6-1
    Nebraska

Zach West
    DT
    6-5
    UTEP

Vince Wilfork
    DT
    6-2
    Miami (FL)

Jarvis Green
    DL
    6-3
    LSU

Richard Seymour
    DL
    6-6
    Georgia

Kenny Smith
    DL
    6-4
    Alabama

Santonio Thomas
    DL
    6-4
    Miami (FL)

Ty Warren
    DL
    6-5
    Texas A&M

Mike Wright
    DL
    6-4
    Cincinnati

Eric Alexander
    LB
    6-2
    LSU

Tedy Bruschi
    LB
    6-1
    Arizona

Shawn Crable
    LB
    6-5
    R
    Michigan

Victor Hobson
    LB
    6-0
    Michigan

Larry Izzo
    LB
    5-10
    Rice

Jerod Mayo
    LB
    6-2
    R
    Tennessee

Bo Ruud
    LB
    6-4
    R
    Nebraska

Adalius Thomas
    LB
    6-2
    Southern Miss

Mike Vrabel
    LB
    6-4
    Ohio State

Pierre Woods
    LB
    6-5
    Michigan

Fernando Bryant
    CB
    5-11
    Alabama

Ellis Hobbs
    CB
    5-9
    Iowa State

Lewis Sanders
    CB
    6-1
    Maryland

Antwain Spann
    CB
    6-0
    Louisiana-Lafayette

Jason Webster
    CB
    5-9
    Texas A&M

Terrence Wheatley
    CB
    5-9
    R
    Colorado

Jonathan Wilhite
    CB
    5-10
    R
    Auburn

Mike Richardson
    DB
    5-11
    Notre Dame

Rodney Harrison
    S
    6-1
    Western Illinois

Brandon Meriweather
    S
    5-11
    Miami (FL)

James Sanders
    S
    5-10
    Fresno State

Raymond Ventrone
    S
    5-10
    Villanova

Tank Williams
    S
    6-3
    Stanford

Special Teams

NO.
    NAME
    POS
    WT
    EXP
    COLLEGE

Stephen Gostkowski
    PK
    6-1
    Memphis

Chris Hanson
    P
    6-2
    Marshall

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[Quote]Downright silly topic. The starting O-line is all white and the starting D-line is all black.

This oddity might possibly be due to the race-based drafting priorities of the league's 31 other general managers. Scott Pioli clearly drafts and picks up players who can play. Maybe white O-line and black D-line players were what was on the board at the time (although in fairness Pioli got to draft practically first when selecting all three top D-line players).

Pioli favors average-sized or worse O-linemen, the undrafted types like Steve Neal, the castoffs from other teams. White men can't block?[/Quote]
    Do you play fantasy football? Can you draft an entire team of all white players and expect to win? No you can't, because the talent pool available at WR and RB will force you to select an African American.
    The players picked up thus far at O-line are bums, losers that can't cut it in the NFL. But these are the bums that are going to be protecting the franchise Tom Brady. If the Pat are going after the best available talent out there right now, then you can't say they're aren't better African American OL than these bottom of the barrell bums. And that my point, why are the Pats signing these losers to protect Brady, the only thing in common I see is their Race. Their height and weight can be matched by any African American.
    As far as the the "white man can't block", Again, I never said white athletes are inferior to black. I just stated the absolute truth that the majority of players at almost every position in the NFL is black. So if your going to search for the best available talent, odds are your going to select an African American. Again, try an win fantasy football with an all-white team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

14 Blacks on Offense!! & 26 Blacks on Defense!!

Yeah I know there is, because as I have stated before, the majority of players in the NFL are African American! So if a team is looking to fill most positions in the NFL, the majority of players they look at are going to be African American. You can't tell me the latest group of OL signings are the best the Pats can pick up to protect Brady. And trying to save money by only hiring the vet minimum to protect the most important part of the Patriots team doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Sections
Shortcuts