1. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Peavy will allow trade to Sox.

[Quote]

Didn't know you could use your mouth on a keyboard;)

In fact, I dwell on the positives of teamwork and hard work. In 2007, I was the one who said the Red Sox would hold off the Yankees, after the lead was down to 1.5 games near the end of the season.

1) If you consider a self-made millionaire with two children on scholarships at UNC-Chapel Hill a loser, I'm happy to be a loser. I'm a realist, unlike utopian Marxists we have running the government.

As for Lugo, after bashing him, you're not hoping he plays well, anymore than most on this board want to see his face on the field. Lowrie's face has that look that fans like you identify with better. Let's leave it at that.

Lowrie's not going to hit over .300 while playing multiple positions in the summer and fall, where he won't face a lot of batting pracitce pitchers.
    2) Masterson and Pedroia and Papelbon are our lesser hyped by more talented youth.

3) I've been a Red Sox fan since 1967, but I'll let your drivel speak for itself on what exemplifies pathetic and an excuse.[/Quote]

1) LOL! yeah, ok....you an LAW have nice imaginations.....

2) Pedroia and Papelbon are lesser hyped prospects than Lowry? What planet are you living on? LOL!

3) I am impressed that you know what a PC is.....OLD MAN!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[Quote]"As much as you guys love Lowrie, he has very limited range for SS. I doubt SD wants him.
    Strange that some of you who blasted the Santana trade are now all for this deal (like Dabro). The deal won't go down unless the Sox are able to extend his deal (like Santana). Peavy's stats are not 100% reliable, since he plays in a big park within a weak hitting division within a weak league, but you know me by now, I'm always for going all out to get an "ace-type" starter. My guess is they'd want 2-3 of Buchholtz, Bowden, Masterson or Anderson. Just a guess.
    " - Moon

EXACTLY. Moon, I almost knew what you were going to say before I read your post, haha.

Let me add, that if we do get Peavy, we are going to need better than Lugo or Lowrie. Moonslav is right, Peavy's stats are a bit skewed. A) That park is huge. B) He gets a ton of groundballs, IMO , with groundball pitchers, you need an ELITE defensive middle. When the Sox went from Pokey Reese to Todd Walker, we saw Lowe's ERA raise, but his groundball to flyout ratio remained consistent. If we do get Peavy, we also need an elite defensive SS, and we dont have that.

I dont like the Peavy deal, unless Lowrie goes in the deal and is replaced by a defensive stud.[/Quote]

Bravo! I am a bigtime fan of great fielding Shortstops. The day we traded Nomar for Cabrera, I told all my friends we were going to win it all! They thought I was crazy. I explained that Cabrera's fielding would put us over the top. I got that one right anyway.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

It seems, after reading the actual blurb, that this is revisiting old news and there is not much (if anything) to suggest any deal is in the offering. Which suits me just fine. Let's get the season started and see how it goes before dealing youngsters for a pitcher that might not be needed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

[Quote]delcarmen,Bowden,Reddick,Navarro should get it done,if not say no thanks!masterson is better than Peavey right now![/Quote]
    that was funny, thanks, i needed a laugh...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andre10056. Show andre10056's posts

I'm not too fond about the idea of trading for Peavy because (1) the cost will be sky high, (2) his "trade veto" right gives him the right to demand a huge pay increase and (3) I don't believe he'll do as well in the AL East as he did in the "one step above triple A" NL West. Again, he'll likely do well but not as well.

In contrast, the Red Sox picked up Penny and Saito without having to compensate the Dodgers in any way. They're cheap. They, too, were dominant in the NL West so I assume they'll do at least OK to well in the AL East if healthy.

Why do I think that the NL West is the worst division in MLB? A couple of reasons. One, the division champion Dodgers had only a .519 winning percentage....and all other teams in that division were obviously below that. No .650 winning percentage or .600 winning percentage for the divison champ. .519 with all other teams being at or below .500. That indicates that the rest of the NL beat up on NL West teams.

Two, there's the example of Manny. In 2007, Manny hit only 20 HRs (about 1 in 23 ABs) and had a .296 batting average. The front office was obviously justified in not wanting to pick up his 2009 and 2010 options based upon that kind of perhaps age-related declining performance. In 100 games for the Red Sox in 2008, he hit 20 HRs (this time, 1 in every 19 ABs or so) and hit .299. Then, he went to LA and hit 1 HR in every 11 ABs and had a .396 (!!!) batting average. Was Manny really dogging it while in Boston or were the NL West pitchers so much worse than AL East pitchers? I believe the latter.

As a whole, the batters are worse. As a whole, the pitchers are worse. As a result, NL West teams get beaten consistently by other NL division teams. Take Peavy's stats, adjust them for much tougher lineups and a designated hitter in the AL East, and he's not worth several solid players in trade and a megabucks contract.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[Quote]Softy , You make yourself look like an idiot everytime your big mouth. You always dwell on the negative. What a loser you must be in every day life. Of course you didnt mention Lowrie is hitting over .300 while playing mutiple positions this spring. Nope because that would be positive and the young guys arent getting that from you. Youre pathetic and a poor excuse for a Redsox fan. Watch some games clown.[/Quote]

Truth

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

As for Lugo, after bashing him, you're not hoping he plays well, anymore than most on this board want to see his face on the field. Lowrie's face has that look that fans like you identify with better. Let's leave it at that.

WRONG

This is the skewed thinking of a petty pathetic loser

I am hoping Lugo does well, just like I hoped Crisp did well last year whenever he played

BECAUSE I AM A HUGE RED SOX FAN

"Bashing" him is just using the stats to show how he (and Crisp) were busts and were outplayed by Lowrie/Ellsbury, these are just facts, and I brought them up AFTER a pathetic and hateful person like Softy used negative opinion to attack the talented youth FOR NO REASON.

Softy is a disgusting individual who makes racist comments about Ellsbury ("he'd look better in an Indians hat") then tries to call all fans who make unbiased and objective anaylsis of Lugo/Crisp based on THE FACTS "racists"

he is pathetic

He will be rooting against Ellsbury/Lowrie this season

He just admitted that he feels people who "bash" a player "will not be hoping they play well"

He bashed those guys... and never with facts, but with hate and wrong opinions, all Fall and Winter

he is pathetic

and he will be rooting for them to fail, while I root for Lugo to succeed

DISGUSTING

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[Quote] I would give up Buchholz and Lowrie for him.

That's not the question. The answer is, San Diego will have no interest in Lowrie and Bucholz won't do it. I mean, are you kidding, Lowrie? He's one of the worst call-ups in years.[/Quote]

Dude, you need to control yourself. Your getting as obsessive as Law2005. We get it, you don't like Lowrie. Repeating it 4,000 times doesn't change anything.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Masterson and Pedroia and Papelbon are our lesser hyped by more talented youth.

All these players are or were more hyped than Lowrie. Softy has a real short memory here.

Maybe he feels Lowrie is "more hyped" b/c he insists on constantly trying to say the kid stinks, will never amount to anything and belongs in AAA, everytime his name gets mentioned here.

This hateful ignorance based on wrong opinions forces the intelligent fanbase here to rip into softy with the stats and facts, call him out for not watching games and having a hateful youth agenda, and in turn typing Lowrie's name more times than that of a guy like Masterson, who certainly deserves just a lil more praise than Lowrie so far in their careers.

But the hype given Lowrie is NOTHING CLOSE to that given Paps in '06 or Pedroia in '07, maybe if Softflaw watched the games or belonged to this board back then he'd know this.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'm not convinced. I'm sure he'll do okay, but his lifetime H/A splits are 2.77/3.80. The 3.80 has to translate to over 4.00 in the AL. Against that, he still has a 3.29 against the AL, but 0-2 v the NYY. Are we looking at someone who is beating up on the weaker hitting teams? He is 23-2 against LA, PT, and Cincy, and 63-60 against everyone else.
    Above all else, he is 0-2 with a 12.10 in the POs. I think that screams out 'small market' to me. I don't think we needed Santana, I don't think we needed Tex, and I don't think we need Peavy. We have 3 ace level SPs, and a number of candidates for 4/5. If we are going to use the farm, I'd prefer it to be on a real l/t need like catcher.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeyRedSox. Show MikeyRedSox's posts

I'm not a huge Peavy fan. I'd hate to see them give up anything substantial for him, which they would almost certainly have to. he's not worth it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lopi1122. Show lopi1122's posts

You throw Jake Peavy into a Boston rotation and you get: Beckett, Peavy, Lester and Matsuzaka as a top 4 in any order. I would not be suprised if that 4 wins 70 games. Then throw in Penny, Wakefield or Smoltz as your number 5. Thats the Braves most recent ace, Dodgers recent ace and All- Star game starter and one of the most reliable and under-rated Sox starters of all time competing for a 5TH SPOT. I say if Penny shows any question nearing opening day and if Tek's backups show any serious trouble with the knuckleball then we should blow them away with an offer they cant refuse for Jake.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from czap. Show czap's posts

Im not against getting Peavy. I just dont want to give up Masterson, Bard and or Buchholz to get him. Say what you want but those 3 young pitchers are solid. Buch pitched a beauty today. Masterson and Bard have been dominant so far. I know its spring but I look for big things from these guys for years. I like Peavy but how much is too much to pay in return?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

(Sorry to slightly shift the subject, but this is in reference to czap's point) I put no stock in Spring Training numbers, but I think this spring has been HUGE for a bunch of guys. Buccholz, Masterson, Bard, Manny Delcarmen, Tazawa, Saito, heck even Lester - They are all either young guys or in Saito's case an old guy coming off an injury. For them to come in and put up great numbers. I think that's tremendously important because it gives every one of them confidence that could translate into regular season success (in several of those cases at the minor league level). Buccholz is probably the most important one IMO, because he was shaken last year. By the end of the year he was throwing better in the minors, which was the beginning of what I think is a shift towards being a solid pitcher again. Enough of the rant, sorry.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

The question becomes more like who will get him since I guess his time in San Diego is running short. The Sox didn't "Need" Santana because he didn't hurt the Sox !! It may have been a much different Picture had the Yankmes picked him up !! Peavy may be the same thing, as Long as one of the Main Rivals of the Sox don't get him, The Sox won't need him either !!

GO SOX 2009 !!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Read Joe's response on page 2. Peavy = overrated.

Also, he's a sinkerball pitcher and the defense of our infield is suspect. Because of this, Peavy is a bad fit on the Red Sox. THerefore , its not in our best interest to pay 100 cents on the dollar for him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ok to those of you idiots who say we should not pursue peavy because you think he will not do well in the AL east, remember a guy named josh beckett? He came from the NL, was not as dominant as peavy, and he still has done good in the AL east. The cost for peavy would not be that high cuz the padres need to dumb salary and i dont think anyone is gunna take brian giles from them. Also, his contract is quite reasonable for a pitcher of his stature and unlike santana we would not need to sign him to an extension cuz he is signed till 2012 with an option for 2013. Not to mention we have a good relationship with the padres. Also, i am little worried about our starting rotation because we are relying on a lot of ifs. If beckett returns to form, if lester pitches as well as he did last year, if dice k can sort out his control issues, if penny can be effective, if buchholz can figure out how to pitch again, if smoltz will be effective(probably my least worry). And with our offense not as strong as last year i think getting peavy can help us out alot because it will put less pressure on the other guys to perform well, have smoltz and penny going at it for the 5th spot, and alow wakefield to go to the pen or retire(hopefully). We need peavy more than some of you guys think.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[Quote]Read Joe's response on page 2. Peavy = overrated.

Also, he's a sinkerball pitcher and the defense of our infield is suspect. Because of this, Peavy is a bad fit on the Red Sox. THerefore , its not in our best interest to pay 100 cents on the dollar for him.[/Quote]

Yea, 3 gold glove Infielders and a Guy that don't make errors are certainly suspect... OH !! Sorry I almost forgot about Lugo. You could be onto something !!

GO SOX 2009 !!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from campp. Show campp's posts

everyone thinks that the red sox have great pitching already...and clay seems to be just where the FO had hoped he would be right about now. so what`s all this about jake 'the snake" peavy? we need jed lowrie...who i wouldn`t underestimate. he will RAKE..like he did last season before his wrist injury. and i believe clay bucholtz will become as good as peavy would be in the AL anyway. with bowden and masterson in the mix as future starters...who the heck needs jake peavy anyway?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maddog2020. Show maddog2020's posts

DSMITH -
    I love your enthusiasm but saying Masterson is better than Peavy might be going overboard just a Tad.

Peavy is a monster if he had a team behind like the Sox he would 20 easily.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[Quote]

Yea, 3 gold glove Infielders and a Guy that don't make errors are certainly suspect... OH !! Sorry I almost forgot about Lugo. You could be onto something !!

GO SOX 2009 !![/Quote]

A) Im talking about getting to groundballs, so Youk doesnt count.
    B) I love Pedey's defense , but range isnt exactly his forte
    C) Lowell: See Pedey
    D) Lowrie is an overrated defender. His range is C - .

So between Lowrie, Pedey, Lowell, we have 3 guys with mediocre range. You want to pay top dollar to bring in a guy who relies on groundball outs? Especially considering said guy has home/away splits that make him look like Dr. Jeckelll/ Mr. Hyde.

Finally, youre right. Im hungover and short today. I didnt feel like typing that I meant that comment specifically to the range of our MI. THought Id save time. Considering, I just spent 5x the time on this thread than it would have cost me to just be clear in the first place, that was a horrible move on my part.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Campp, Ive been hard on you in the past. Sometimes, it irks me when people give the benefit of the doubt to a young guy JUST because said guy is unproven. Sometimes, I feel like people just scream for the guy who they havent seen yet. Call up Masterson! One bad outing later...Call up Bucholz...One bad outing later...Call up Bowden...One bad outing later...Call up the guywith mediocre stats in AA....You get my point

But I must applaud the fact that you are still calling for Lowrie in the wake of Lugo taking his job back. Respect.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ct-pitcher. Show ct-pitcher's posts

He's 38 years old, and doesn't come inexpensively.
    He signed a new deal in December of 2007, a month after he won the NL Cy Young. Peavy will make $11 million in 2009. The new money kicks in in 2010, when he'll make $15 million. He'll earn $16 million in 2011 and $17 million in 2012. The club holds a $22 million option for 2013, or a $4 million buyout. If he remains with the Padres through 2013, he'll make $87.5 million.
    The guaranteed money in Peavy's extension will average $17.3 million per season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

Honestly, this guy has that AJ Burnett factor...he easily gets hurt as pointed out...I think he is a good pitcher but wouldn't be that great....it sure would help our rotation...moving Smoltz to the pen...I would do it if it was a can't miss offer, but if they want precious Lars Anderson, the deal is off

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from caubrey. Show caubrey's posts

Moron forgot to mention the 7 other teams!

Sections
Shortcuts