1. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

Player For Player NYY better than RS!

I disagree about the catching. It's a cluster f*ck for both teams. Call it a wash. Youlillis & Teixerra is another wash. The Sox have a better bench & much better relief pitching. The starting pitching is even or leaning towards the Sox. AJ will get hurt again this year, that's a given. CC will spend time on the DL because he's a 300+ lbs. time bomb. You can get away with being obese when you're younger, but he's hit that age where he's going to start paying for it. The Yankees paid big dollars for some equally big question marks. It was a big gamble.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colosoxman. Show Colosoxman's posts

Player for player RS have more brains and more heart
    and drive and better unifroms and better fans and in a better city and Boston is having better luck as a city bla blah blah blah

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac28. Show pinstripezac28's posts

yanks have more homegrown talent

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuckhndrsn. Show chuckhndrsn's posts

homegrown players, not talent

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac28. Show pinstripezac28's posts

greetings passed ball

It's a cluster f*ck for both teams. Call it a wash.

OK

Youlillis & Teixerra is another wash.

last yr they sure were

but only 1 has shown

he can do it over and over

The Sox have a better bench

I thought so

until kosty news this week

don't under esitmate swisher

if he ends up as our bench guy

& much better relief pitching.

not much better

our BP was fine last yr

but the bottom line is

middle releivers

are the hardest to predict

The starting pitching is even or leaning towards the Sox.

I'll go with even

but the rest of your post

is _____________

which is to bad because

you had good post going

AJ will get hurt again this year, that's a given.

AJ = beckett the last 2 yrs

are very close, AJ had more starts

CC will spend time on the DL because he's a 300+ lbs. time bomb. You can get away with being obese when you're younger, but he's hit that age where he's going to start paying for it.

this is the yr when he falls apart ?

yet other teams wanted him

explain why they disagree with you

The Yankees paid big dollars for some equally big question marks. It was a big gamble.

who cares about the money I thought we were comparing rosters

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from brianamoro. Show brianamoro's posts

your post was pretty reasonable, i think the pitching depth the redsox have is important and i like their rotation better , maybe dont have the "star" power but i think sox rotation is better

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x45. Show sday4x45's posts

just to add another questiion to the mix.....

what about the managers?

not instigating...........I just want to give the edge to Francona.......more time with the team and valuable postseason experience.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

To be honest, on paper NYY has looked better almost every year except 2008. They always had new pitchers coming in be it:

Brown, Johnson, Pavano, Mussina, Vazquez and top fire ball pitchers out of pen such as Gordon and Farnsworth, Myers to get Ortiz out if you recall.

They have also added: Damon, A Rod, Giambi, Matsui, Cano, Abreau, Sheffield

All this without winning a title. They can be called best on paper, just like Detriot was by people last off season and the Mets because they made some good moves.

The best two moves were Swisher and Pettitte. Because all the others basically filled the gap of a leaving player those two moves were additions.

Tex - Giambi
    AJ/CC - Mussina/Pettitte 08

Pettitte now takes the 5th starter roll and obviously NY was not good there if he goes 14 - 14 he is Wake, with about 15 rearly good starts.

The original poster also gave RS a slight edge in OF, it is more than slight. The RS have two great fielding OF's, 2 Strong bench OF's and the only OF in the group capable of 35 HR 125 RBI. It is much more then slight.

I will say a few things are certain; The NY Manager is clearly not a manager of stars which should be interesting. When will father time catch up to both teams aging stars?

If the seasons were played on paper or strat o matic baseball then who would of ever picked Philly to win? Florida? St Louis 06? They are played on field and anything can happen.

Personally, NYY should compare to TB and see how you match up, they won division. As far as I can see they are still favorites.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilTheAce. Show PhilTheAce's posts

It's amazing how you think Pedroia is much better than Cano. If it wasn't for Cano's April last year he would've hit right up near .300. Cano also hit .342 only a couple of years ago, showing you the ceiling he has. My take on Pedroia/Cano, Pedroia is the smarter player but Cano has a higher ceiling. If Cano can get his head more in the game and have better starts, he's the closest thing to Rod Carew. If you want to say Pedroia is better than Cano based on last year fine, but be careful with the much better/no contest stuff.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeFoyFan. Show JoeFoyFan's posts

RS outfield is significantly better - offensively and defensively. Jeter has lost his range - especially to his left. Posada has trouble throwing the ball to the pitcher, let alone second base. Quite frankly, the skanks have too many players that should be playing 1B or DHing. Pitching? It is only a matter of time before CC's 340 LBs take their toll on his knees and/or back; leads to arm trouble. AJ only pitches well in his walk year. MO is coming off major surgery. Overall, the SOX are much better because of DEPTH!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[Quote]greetings passed ball

It's a cluster f*ck for both teams. Call it a wash.

OK

Youlillis & Teixerra is another wash.

last yr they sure were

but only 1 has shown

he can do it over and over

The Sox have a better bench

I thought so

until kosty news this week

don't under esitmate swisher

if he ends up as our bench guy

& much better relief pitching.

not much better

our BP was fine last yr

but the bottom line is

middle releivers

are the hardest to predict

The starting pitching is even or leaning towards the Sox.

I'll go with even

but the rest of your post

is _____________

which is to bad because

you had good post going

AJ will get hurt again this year, that's a given.

AJ = beckett the last 2 yrs

are very close, AJ had more starts

CC will spend time on the DL because he's a 300+ lbs. time bomb. You can get away with being obese when you're younger, but he's hit that age where he's going to start paying for it.

this is the yr when he falls apart ?

yet other teams wanted him

explain why they disagree with you

The Yankees paid big dollars for some equally big question marks. It was a big gamble.

who cares about the money I thought we were comparing rosters[/Quote]

Are you talking about the same player? Youk has not shown he can do it year after year? The steady increase each year has shown him growing into the player he is today. And he is hungry and never wastes an at-bat. You are paying more money, but the players are similar. Swisher is not being underestimated by me. it's the Yanks who are trying to move him. Kotsay being hurt is not major. Remember, Ellsbury can play all OF positions. Drew can play center field, Youk can even play left, Baldelli can play all three OF positions. Lowrie can play ss, 3b and 2b. The bench is fine.

The Yanks always has better position by position talent. However, that doesn't always translate into being a better team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilTheAce. Show PhilTheAce's posts

The Yankee outfield is a significant problem. Damon is a terrible fielder, Gardner is okay at best, and Nady is another terrible fielder. I'm not sure what Swisher is as an outfielder because I've only seen him at 1B when I saw him play. Matsui hopefully never sees the outfield again, he makes Bobby Abreu look like Willie Mays. I hope the Austin Jackson kid gets a shot soon, the Yankees have been starved for an athletic outfield for a long time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[Quote]It's amazing how you think Pedroia is much better than Cano. If it wasn't for Cano's April last year he would've hit right up near .300. Cano also hit .342 only a couple of years ago, showing you the ceiling he has. My take on Pedroia/Cano, Pedroia is the smarter player but Cano has a higher ceiling. If Cano can get his head more in the game and have better starts, he's the closest thing to Rod Carew. If you want to say Pedroia is better than Cano based on last year fine, but be careful with the much better/no contest stuff.[/Quote]

Cano got benched for non hustle. He drives Yankee fans crazy. When you say those words about Pedroia, then we can talk. If not for Cano's April, he would have hit .300? If I was 5 seconds faster in the 100 meter dash, i'd be All American! If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, everyday would be Christmas!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilTheAce. Show PhilTheAce's posts

[Quote]

Cano got benched for non hustle. He drives Yankee fans crazy. When you say those words about Pedroia, then we can talk. If not for Cano's April, he would have hit .300? If I was 5 seconds faster in the 100 meter dash, i'd be All American! If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, everyday would be Christmas![/Quote]
    Fair enough, my point is he's got the talent to be one of the best hitters in the game. He also didn't play as bad as his stats given April was his one bad month. I can't argue that Pedroia seems to want it more, but Cano is still only 26 years old. He is a safe bet for a bounce back, one terrible month in your career does not make you a .270 hitter for life. Not saying he'll have a year like 2006, but a year like 2007 is very reasonable.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

Cano is the type of player that gets GM's to look like hero's on draft day and fired after the season. He has huge talent I agree 100%. He will never harness it, he got alot of money and is basically a lazy player who cant focus through a 162 game season. The game is played above the neck and that is where Cano fails.

Pedroia no question has less talent, but given the choice you take pedroia 10 out of 10 times because he is a baseball player and a winner.

Or as Jimmie Johnson would say give me playmakers.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

Here is the Yankees fundamental problem:
    1) They have a significnt fielding issue at virtually every position. Tex helps alot because first base anchors the infield, but the bottom line is that their run prevention will be very, very poor.

2) Combine the above with the fact that so many of their players are entering in the 34-39 age range. Yes, they have reduced the average age of their starting pitching, but their position players are older than the MLB average.

3) Pitcher against pitcher they could be as good as the Sox, but from a depth standpoint -- 5, 6, 7, 8 starting pitchers and 5, 6, 7, 8 relivers, we are vastly superior.

Take these three items together -- defense, age and depth to prevent injury and you have very real vulnerablities, just like us. It is about building a 25 man or 40 man roster, not about building a better top 10.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

Phil,
    Look at Cano he starts slow every year, his season stats get complied over 3 months June/July/August he also has yet to have a consistant year. Even when he hit 342 he did all his damage over those 3 months. Baseball ref breaks it all down.

Also, he is same way in field, he has great range, gets to more balls then Pedroia, makes 3 times as many errors and also makes 3 times as many errors that dont show up in box score.

Wouldnt you agree?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilTheAce. Show PhilTheAce's posts

[Quote]Here is the Yankees fundamental problem:
    1) They have a significnt fielding issue at virtually every position. Tex helps alot because first base anchors the infield, but the bottom line is that their run prevention will be very, very poor.

2) Combine the above with the fact that so many of their players are entering in the 34-39 age range. Yes, they have reduced the average age of their starting pitching, but their position players are older than the MLB average.

3) Pitcher against pitcher they could be as good as the Sox, but from a depth standpoint -- 5, 6, 7, 8 starting pitchers and 5, 6, 7, 8 relivers, we are vastly superior.

Take these three items together -- defense, age and depth to prevent injury and you have very real vulnerablities, just like us. It is about building a 25 man or 40 man roster, not about building a better top 10.
    [/Quote]
    The Sox position players aren't exactly spring chickens either Darbo, you can't knock the Yankees age when the Sox are basically right there with the Yankees.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilTheAce. Show PhilTheAce's posts

[Quote]Phil,
    Look at Cano he starts slow every year, his season stats get complied over 3 months June/July/August he also has yet to have a consistant year. Even when he hit 342 he did all his damage over those 3 months. Baseball ref breaks it all down.

Also, he is same way in field, he has great range, gets to more balls then Pedroia, makes 3 times as many errors and also makes 3 times as many errors that dont show up in box score.

Wouldnt you agree?[/Quote]
    Yes and he is frustrating to watch. However, Girardi did bench him and then he really started to play better. Perhaps that was the kick in the @$$ that he needed. The problem was it was too late in the season, if he did it like five months earlier who knows.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[Quote]
    Fair enough, my point is he's got the talent to be one of the best hitters in the game. He also didn't play as bad as his stats given April was his one bad month. I can't argue that Pedroia seems to want it more, but Cano is still only 26 years old. He is a safe bet for a bounce back, one terrible month in your career does not make you a .270 hitter for life. Not saying he'll have a year like 2006, but a year like 2007 is very reasonable.[/Quote]

I would expect Cano to bounce back as well. However, you have to admit that there is something missing with the guy. He has a world of talent. But, he would rather "style". You know, he wears his cap a bit differently, he looks really cool throwing the ball across his body instead of moving his feet. When it works out, he looks smooth. When it doesn't, he looks lazy. You know what I'm saying, right?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[Quote]

yanks have more homegrown talent[/Quote]

hey zac -- too freakin funny! nice job!

But what is the comparison of Home Grown Talent on the two teams right now:

Yankees:
    Jeter
    Cano
    Gardner
    Rivera
    Posada
    Chamberlain
    Hughes (maybe - if he sticks)

Red Sox:
    Youkilis
    Pedroia
    Lowrie
    Ellsbury
    Dice-K (not sure if he counts - but then again why not)
    Lester
    Papelbon
    Delcarmen
    Okajima (see Dice-K)
    Masterson
    Buchholz (maybe if he sticks)

When you look at it, it is an interesting dynamic reflecting the direction the teams are going in this area...looks to me that the Sox plan of building from within has a solid grasp on their team now.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The Yankees have a better batting order;

So, just to recap, we out-scored the NYY by 56, despite injuries to Papi, Lowell, and Drew, offset by an injury to Posada. Yet the NYY have a better lineup?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[Quote]
    The Sox position players aren't exactly spring chickens either Darbo, you can't knock the Yankees age when the Sox are basically right there with the Yankees.[/Quote]

Last year, according to BR, the NYY offense was 31.3, which was last, and the RS were 29.8, which was 9th in the AL. It's not an overwhelming difference, but it is something more than immaterial.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikebruno18. Show mikebruno18's posts

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

If I was high on drugs all of the time, I'd be better than the opposition too! You need to follow Amy Winehouseto REHAB!!!!