1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjgray. Show jjgray's posts

players travel money

Often wondered, and never been able to find a source. What type of compensation do Sox Players receive for meals and lodging on the road? Also, do they receive meal and lodging money when at home, especially since many either have homes or apartments in Boston area during the season. If money is received for above, is that part of their contract agreement, or is it money over and above that? Thought the off season might be a good time to pose this question. Thanks for any info or link you can provide on the matter. It's been an unsolved question of mine for many seasons.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from vegasredsox. Show vegasredsox's posts

players travel money

I grew up with a player in the early 90's and back then they got $360 a day when they were on the road for food

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

players travel money

Expenses and expense allowances are covered in Article VII of the current MLB Collective Bargaining Agreement:

http://mlbplayers.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf

Be forewarned that the CBA is a 241-page document.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carleverettwasright. Show carleverettwasright's posts

players travel money

Outside of the per diem (meal money on the road), the other stuff would fall under each players contract. One would think that these guys are making a killing getting 10 million a year but when you factor in that they have to pay taxes in the state they are playing in and perhaps their home state as well. Toss in the agents cut. You can see how 10 million could become 5 or 6 before you know it. When you consider that some of these guys play in Canada, that figure gets a little higher. I can't remember the link but the Dice-K contract covers just about everything the guy could want right down to the type of vehicle that the club will provide for him. He does have a lodging provision in the contract as well as a number of tickets round trip to Japan for his wife and family. I think that I read somewhere that Manny had a couple of Monster seats above him for his wife and family. The question that I don't have the answer to is do players with these perks in their contracts taxed on them as income? A player would be wise to go to school to be a CPA before getting drafted!

Sections
Shortcuts