1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT93. Show BurritoT93's posts

Poll: What should the Red Sox do with Manny?

I have always liked Manny, a lot.  However, I think this should be his last year here.  His numbers are declining, and his behavior went from silly to assault.

Trading him now?  Bad Idea.  He can still hit....  and the team does have chemistry that shouldn't be disrupted mid-way.

Hey how about keeping Drew in the 3 spot?  He's dominating now.  Ortiz would be a terrifac 5 hitter anyday.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

let him walk at the end of the year, get draft picks,

then the options go (in order of what I prefer):

1.) trade for Holliday

2.) sign Teixeira

3.)trade for Jason Bay

4.) sign Pat Burrell

5.) Ells LF /  Coco CF for 09 as we slightly rebuild, trade excess young pitching/OF's for a young C and SS, and go after Holliday or Bay as FA's after next year

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UPstateNYsoxfan. Show UPstateNYsoxfan's posts

cut your losses, send him packing

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wb374. Show wb374's posts

Keep him.  Big deal he made a bad play.  Ellsbury in Left and Coco in Center?  That would be good...have a total of 9 home runs from the 2 outfield positions.  The red sox are going to be one boring team when Manny leaves

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Like I said it's be one season where you throw our an insane defense and have two guys try and steal 100 bags... then you get Holliday or Bay and Coco's trade value is up.

Meanwhile you use our assets to get very good young players at C and prob SS, using Bowden, Lowrie, Hansen, etc.

That's my FIFTH  choice by the way

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from thegobees. Show thegobees's posts

What if we go hard after Holliday this year and let Manny walk?  He's a younger version of Manny.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheridan. Show sheridan's posts

I say dump him.  He busts his butt early in the season hoping the Sox would pick up his option or give him an extension.  But Manny's never been a "110 percent" kinda guy, so he goes back to his "Manny being Manny" ways.  Get Holliday, get Jason Bay, get Texeira, but let's show Manny the door this time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from starna. Show starna's posts

Keep him for his option year, if not until he retires. The plusses outweigh the minuses. He's a 1st year Hall of Famer, and very hard to replace. So what he made a bad play in the outfield, he hustled to make the catch. Don't tell me your serious by saying Texiara can replace him. Maybe the squeaky clean Holiday, but Manny adds intangibles to the Sox that you seem to ignore: basically, he's fun to have around, you know it, I know it, and more importantly, Papi knows it. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from walterjohnson07. Show walterjohnson07's posts

Hey Frank, what should the Yanks do with Overpaid Roid Boy and Noodle Arm?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Wow.  Could Manny be the only ballplayer EVER where people think he took 3 pitches without swinging because he wanted to get back at management? LOL  Drew does that a lot and no one accuses him of doing it on purpose. 

I don't believe for one second Manny didn't swing because he was mad at management.  He simply didn't see a pitch he felt he should swing at.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gareman2. Show gareman2's posts

Keep the productive Manny.  Release the other one.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

It was so wonderful to win the World Series in 04 and 07. Manny made significant contributions to those Championships. Probably, I'll be accused of being a baseball purist, but I don't want the uglieness of Contract negotiations to be a dark cloud over the Red Sox during the current season. The Red Sox have a very good team, one of the 3 best in the Majors, including the Angels and the Cubs. I think Manny is trying to dominate the air surrounding the Red Sox, his advisors and he is probably thinking this is a way to force the Red Sox to negotiate a Contract extension for as many as 6 years, rather than exercise a One year Option or simply bid him a farewell. This experience feels as nasty, without saying who is more at fault, as the relationship between Nomar Garciaparra and the Red Sox in 2004. Unfortunately, there is a major difference in that the Red Sox had the option of trading Nomar to extricate itself from the situation and have an opportunity to keep challenging for the AL Eastern Division Championship or Wild Card. Because of Manny's time in the Major Leagues the Red Sox do not have the same trade rights. Not to say a resolution could not be voluntarily negotiated, but it seems that neither Manny or the Red Sox would give up bargaining chips they hold at this point, in the case of the Red Sox the Option at the conclusion of the 08 Season and in Manny's case, the ability to require an acquiring team to trade players of significant value to the the Red Sox and also negotiate a costly extension of Manny's current Contract.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from B-4-B. Show B-4-B's posts

[Quote]Keep the productive Manny.  Release the other one.[/Quote]
    Finally, something that makes sense! lol

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from vabeachredsoxfan. Show vabeachredsoxfan's posts

Bring him back.  I love the guy and all his quirkiness.

The incident with the traveling secretary was flat out wrong. Manny knows that, and he has atoned for it as far as I'm concerned.

I also don't believe for one second that Manny took those 3 pitches to purposefully send a message. 

Manny is still one of the best right-handed hitters in the game.  Additionally, without Manny in the line up, you take a lot away from Papi's presence.  No one can protect Papi like Manny can.  Replacing Manny with someone else would not only weaken the #4 spot, it weakens the rest of the line up as well. 

That play in LF last night when the ball was under Manny's butt....c'mon, that was hilarious!  I was LMAO!  No one in baseball can entertain me and make me laugh the way Manny does.  We all need some comic relief, especially when the game is going bad.  That cut off of Damon's throw still cracks me up. 

In case anyone thinks I'm Manny's personal ballwasher, I graciously concede that job to the lovely Firefligh. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

It is pretty clear that the chances of sox management picking up the 09 option is dwindling by the day.  The drama swirling around Manny is one of the big reasons that this ownership group is not very enamored with him.  You can bet that if he were signed on Theo's watch he would never have gotten 8 years plus 2 option years.  Theo does not offer anything beyond 5 years seemingly.  Twenty mill goes a LONG way even in today's insanely inflated contract world. 

I for one am not a fan of the Matt Holliday talk.  He is mostly a creation of Coor's Field.  If you look at his home/road splits you can see for yourself.  Jason Bay could be had for a great deal less money, is coming off a subpar 07 and needs to prove himself in a contract season.  They could likely get him for less than JD Drew money and he is a better slugger with many of the same skills as Drew, is younger and less injury prone.  I think Teixera, as good as he is will be too expensive and I definatley do not like the idea of putting a gold glove caliber first basemen who is also good at third out in left field.  I've seen enough of Youkilis out there and it is not pretty!

With the remaining 7-8 million they could pick up a quality middle of the rotation starter or 2 very solid bullpen arms, and the draft picks they could potentially get by letting Manny walk could be future stars 5 years down the road.  I love Manny's game but I have not liked his act one bit this season.  I think it is time to let him go to greener pastures!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

I think that it depends upon what their plan would be without him in the lineup AND what he's asking for contract-wise.  Manny has always been "Manny" and I think that the team has been far better off with him than they would have been without him since his arrival in '01.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from avenger97. Show avenger97's posts

I AGREE WITH THAT, that was the last straw

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

Trade him now to the Mets!!!!!!!!!!!!! The guy is s putz!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DWIGHTRIGHT. Show DWIGHTRIGHT's posts

[Quote]It is pretty clear that the chances of sox management picking up the 09 option is dwindling by the day.  The drama swirling around Manny is one of the big reasons that this ownership group is not very enamored with him.  You can bet that if he were signed on Theo's watch he would never have gotten 8 years plus 2 option years.  Theo does not offer anything beyond 5 years seemingly.  Twenty mill goes a LONG way even in today's insanely inflated contract world. 

With the remaining 7-8 million they could pick up a quality middle of the rotation starter or 2 very solid bullpen arms, and the draft picks they could potentially get by letting Manny walk could be future stars 5 years down the road.  I love Manny's game but I have not liked his act one bit this season.  I think it is time to let him go to greener pastures![/Quote]

i agree with releasing manny after this season but i don't think there are greener pastures than fenway park.(i mean, c'mon, the whole park is green)

also, i don't think you should bestow too much credit on theo;
    remember he did sign lugo for 4 years and 36 million; and he obtained drew for 5years and 70 million. these do not add up to high marks for theo as a g.m.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gabootwo2006. Show gabootwo2006's posts

BYE BYE MANNY!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't let the door hit you in the rear on the way out!!!!!!!

Explore trade options at the trade deadline and see if any team is willing to pick up this goofball and give us something the team can use to win another World Series Championship.

Then next year, use the money to pick up some pitching help and catcher who can hit somewhat.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeyRedSox. Show MikeyRedSox's posts

they should pick up his option for next year, then decide again what they want to do at the end of '09

I can't believe this "striking out on purpose" crap is still an issue for some people. Until a reliable source presents some compelling evidence that he made some comments or did something else to indicate that he was giving that at-bat away purposely to stick it to management, anyone who believes that's the case is a moron who just saw what they wanted to see

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeyRedSox. Show MikeyRedSox's posts

I really, really hope they pick up the option, if for no other reason than to force all the tards who are "tired of his antics" to have to put up with him for at least one more year

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThrashMagazine5. Show ThrashMagazine5's posts

If the Red Sox opt to keep Manny Ramirez, especially beyond one year they are doing a HUGE injustice to this team.

Keeping Manny means this, we are under contract to 2 (yes David Ortiz as well) aging sluggers way to long, and teams will see this, meaning the price of younger sluggers will sky rocket on us. We need one of them replaced soon, and obviously I would prefer Manny gone. But keep in mind, we have seen 2 seasons in a row with injuries causing Ortiz to not play as well as he could, so it might be said he could be A. on the decline or B. getting injury prone.

But lets just say we keep both for another 2 years, and what happens after that? We are pretty much stuck without a 3 and 4 hitter, and Lowell will be 35+. That is 3 huge bats in our lineup getting way to old.

If it was a perfect world teams would work between the ages of 21 and 32, and during the players 29-32 year ages they would be traded off for top value making your team consistent each year. Ya you lose that players 2-3 great seasons, but you are picking up 2-3 great younger players to cover it everytime for 5-7 seasons, also keeping your cost relatively low.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaycoach. Show jaycoach's posts

[Quote]$20 million will buy a great replacement for Manny next year--and some better attitude!  Manny can be Manny when he is hitting 30 HR's and 120 RBI's--not standing there with the bat on his shoulder, hitting a lot of singles to keep up his batting average.[/Quote]

Manny's stats projected for a full season (see ESPN site) are:

HR     RBI
          31      102
               And, I'll wager that the 102 figure will go up when Papi enters the lineup ahead of him.  You have a problem with that production?