1. You have chosen to ignore posts from youngparisians. Show youngparisians's posts

Posada's Injury + Varitek's Contract

Yankees gave Posada a huge (and risky) contract as a free agent this past off-season. Now he is on the DL and possible out for the season.

How do you think this affects Varitek negotiating a new contract this fall?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Victory12321. Show Victory12321's posts

affects him HUGE.

According to the last rumour, Boras is looking for 2 years guranteed.

Knowing how insane this man is, i wouldnt be surprised if he ask for 10mill plus for each year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

ITS A PROBLEM FOR THE SOX BECAUSE VARITEK IS A FOLK
    HERO AND IT WOULD BE TOUGH TO JUST CAN HIM...WHAT IS
    THE PHRASE THAT IS POPULAR NOW /// POLITICALLY
    INCORRECT ?? THE SMART, NO NONSENSE MOVE WOULD BE
    TO JUST RETIRE HIM, BRING UP KOTTARAS OR TRADE FOR
    A WARM BODY WHO CAN AT LEAST PUT HIS BAT ON A BALL
    ONCE A CENTURY, BUT...WE ALL KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN,'
    VARITEK WILL BE BACK AGAIN, HITTING .220, KILLING
    RALLYS, GOOSE STEPPING BACK TO THE DUGOUT SHAKING
    HIS HEAD, AND THE FANS INDIFFERENT. HE'S STILL LIVING
    OFF THE A ROD INCIDENT, AND THAT IS SAD BECAUSE IT
    CLOUDS REALITY IN THE FANS' MINDS THAT THIS GUY SHOULD
    HANG IT UP OR RESIGN HIMSELF TO A BACKUP ROLE...BUT
    IT WON'T HAPPEN. HE WILL HAVE TO BE DRAGGED OUT
    FORCIBLY.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from keepmanny7. Show keepmanny7's posts

nothing you said after the 2nd line of that post was even remotely true.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from drdinduluth. Show drdinduluth's posts

"Goose Stepping"....LOL

Classic Varite-"K"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxncycles. Show soxncycles's posts

[Quote]BRING UP KOTTARAS OR TRADE FOR
    A WARM BODY WHO CAN AT LEAST PUT HIS BAT ON A BALL
    ONCE A CENTURY.
    [/Quote]

Kottaras is hitting .235 in AAA. You'd be bitching about him within a week.

There's tons of great catchers out there waiting to take Varitek's place.

http://www.netshrine.com/rosciam.html

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from vabeachredsoxfan. Show vabeachredsoxfan's posts

Of course Posada's injury affects Varitek's contract. However, I have believed since the offseason that Varitek would not get more than a 2 year deal from the Sox. If he were batting .280, I still don't think he would get more than 2 guaranteed years. Since Tek is doing so horribly offensively, he would be hard pressed to get 2. A lot depends on whether he can rebound a little these last 2 months. I believe that Tek really wants to stay with the RS, so I'm sure he will be willing to take a discount, but I don't know if it will be enough.

Not trying to open up this can of worms again, but I've read all the threads about Tek "calling a great game". I know that I will never convince those of you who feel it is over-rated, just as you will never convince me that it isn't. There is no 'proof' to support this argument either way. His leadership, handling of the pitching staff, and game calling skills are intangibles. They cannot be accurately measured with stats. I'm not saying that Tek is the greatest catcher that ever lived or that there aren't other catchers who deserve this praise. What I'm saying is that what Tek means to this team as a whole, but to the pitching staff in particular, is invaluable. I am also not saying that he should be re-signed next year, although these attibutes should be factored into the decision. I'm not going to argue with those who disagree. You're entitled to your opinion. I just wanted to state for the record that I think there is a lot of merit to Varitek's intangibles, and he does call a great game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Captain313. Show Captain313's posts

National League pitchers as a rule hit better than Varitek has over the last two months. He also throws out a very small percentage of base stealers. As far as calling the game, Farrell has more to do with pre-game prep. He has had a great career but is currently a big black hole whose skills are simply going to continually diminish. I doubt that he returns.