1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Posssible Landing Spots For Cassel (Brady?)

With whom might the Patriots swing a deal with? Here are some thoughts on possible trading partners:

1.) Carolina Panthers: Last April, the Panthers were rumored to be prepared to offer the moon to acquire QB Matt Ryan. After Jake DelHomme's "stellar" performance in the playoffs against the Arizona Cardinals (5 picks, one fumble), my guess is that the 34 year old veteran has worn out his welcome in Charlotte (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/10/take-a-good-look-at-jake/).
    The Panthers are a solid team, with a great WR (Steve Smith), an excellent running game, and a solid defense. Just the weapons any good young QB needs;

2.) Minnesota Vikings: The Vikes have a terrific running game, and a good defense (especially against the run). They can't be serious about going into another season with Tavares Jackson, or the 38 year old journeyman Gus Frerotte, at the helm. You've seen in Atlanta whhat a great running attack can do for a young QB;

3.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: The Bucs were 9-2, before going into a nose-dive in the last quarter of the season. They couldn't possibly want to slug it out in 2009 with the 38 year old Jeff Garcia as their QB. Though they lack the offensive weapons of the aforementioned Panthers and Vikes, they have a good young defense. A guy like Cassel would be the perfect young QB to build their team around;

4.) Detroit Lions: Are the Lions foolish enough to spend the top overall selection in the upcoming draft on Georgia QB Matthew Stafford? The Lions being the Lions...YES!! If thats' the plan, why not trade for a guy who has some sort of track record, and build the team around him? They also will likely be able to sign Matt for less than it would cost them to sign #1 overall selection Stafford;

5.) St. Louis Rams: Ditto the Rams. Why spend the second overall pick on an unknown, if they can get Cassel? Marc Bolger has constantly been hurt, and was actually benched foe awhile last year. But, he is a marketable commody for a team that needs a decent veteran QB. So...why not trade Bulger, and then work out a deal for a promising young QB like Matt?

6.) Seattle Seahawks: Ditto the Hawks'. They could trade the aging, oft injured Matt Hasselbeck, and then spin a trade for Cassel;

7.) San Francisco 49ers: Do the 9ers even have a QB? A trade for California-boy Cassel might well be worth exploring;

8.) Kansas City Chiefs: Ditto what was discussed about the Lions and the Rams. I don't think that Scott Pioli is sold on Tyler Thigpen;

9.) NY Jets: Doubt that a trade will ever happen between these two blood-rivals. But, stranger things have happened. If the Pats trade Matt to the Jets, you can bet that it will be at a premium price (say...the Jets first round picks in 2008 and 2009, and ILB David Harris.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Im not so sure he will get traded this offseason but if he did my guess would be he ends up in KC. By the way your GM skills are a little nutty, it would not be smart for any team to trade away there veteran franchise QB before knowing whether or not they have his replacment. The Seahawks would be dumb to trade Hasslebeck and then try to get Cassel it would be smarter to get Cassel and then trade him and the same goes for teh Panthers they wouldnt get rid of Jake unless they were 100% sure they could get Cassel.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from antoinew. Show antoinew's posts

The Patriots won't trade Cassel within Conference so cross out KC and NY Jets. Although with Pioli's team nowhere near contention at this point maybe his friendship with Beliceck could sway them.

I'd say likely if he's traded it would be to a team like MIN, CAR, or TB who are teams that are close to complete teams and need a QB but wouldn't mind giving up a high draft pick to get him.

DET, STL, SEA and SF need too many pieces on Def and the O-line to go after a QB that would also cost them a draft pick. And i don't know if DETROIT is stupid anymore now with new management and new coach they might be smart and go the Parcells way of thinking and work on getting the off and def lines up to code before branching out to skill positions.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from antoinew. Show antoinew's posts

Oh, and i hope that (Brady?) thing at the end of yor discussion title doesn't insinuate that you think Brady might or should be traded instead of Cassel. that's a joke. Brady will be the Patriots QB until he shows he's no longer capable. If his injury is move severe than let on and he doesn't recover then yes, Brady may leave town at some point but not until after he's been given every chance to come back and succeed

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Carolina and Tampa both are in great positions for super championship runs. The problem for these teams is that both Atlanta and New Orleans have decent teams and great QBs. These two should be especially looking at getting Cassel. The alternative is that they are likely to be 9 or 10 win teams instead of dominant teams.

Minnesota could have a tougher time selling a trade for Cassel since they lost their first round pick last year. They may feel that going through the draft and getting another QB that way or someone like Kitna or Favre would be better.

The Lions should definitely looked to turn their second first round pick into Cassel. They can add some decent support with the first pick and still get that star QB. How does Kitna fit for them?

I'm not sure how much into the QB market the Rams have to be. They're a potential suitor, but they still have a potentially decent QB.

I don't know if Seattle looks at Cassel or how early of a pick for QB. Hasselback is still potentially decent and Wallace looked good last year.

The Niners have to be looking for a QB. Stafford is likely gone and Sanchez is likely a reach. Cassel would be a great trade for them for the #10 pick.

i still like for the chiefs to acquire one of those top tackles with their first round pick and then try to build a trade for Cassel through their second round pick or just go with Thigpen. If KCs ownership gives Pioli time to build his team, letting Thigpen have another year and just bringing the supporting pieces to his team is perhaps best.

jets wouldn't trade for Cassel but they could sign him and give up their 2009 and 2010 first round picks.

I also see Chicago as a potential major player for Cassel. The Dolphins and Cardinals are two other interesting possibilities.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffg316. Show jeffg316's posts

My bet would be MIN, but why not mention CHI in this. 1. if the lions are smart (LOL) They wouldn't even get a qb with any of their first 5 picks. They are gonna suck again next year and can have a chance at mckoy who is gonna be better than stafford and sanchez combined.

MIN can give their 2 this year and 1 and 3 for next year for cassell.

Also, thisis the wildcard, The JEts release farve he goes to MIN the Jets sign Warner and Ari now becomes a FAV to land him. (Leinart is overated and will be a career backup) That is just my two cents. USC's offense made that guy.

Edit: Just noticed the poster mentioned it above me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

never gonna happen

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Not sure where Cassel will end up, but I wouldn't rule out the Jets if the offer is good enough(really good). But I can easily see Brady in a Pats uniform, I think he would be a great Patriot!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[Quote]Im not so sure he will get traded this offseason but if he did my guess would be he ends up in KC. By the way your GM skills are a little nutty, it would not be smart for any team to trade away there veteran franchise QB before knowing whether or not they have his replacment. The Seahawks would be dumb to trade Hasslebeck and then try to get Cassel it would be smarter to get Cassel and then trade him and the same goes for teh Panthers they wouldnt get rid of Jake unless they were 100% sure they could get Cassel.[/Quote]

MVP:

I couldn't disagree with you more. DelHomme is done in Carolina...one way or another. I've always felt that Matt Hasselbeck was overrated. e has a chronic bad back, and will turn 34 in September. His main supporter, head coach Mike Holmgren, is gone. The 'Hawks are going nowhere with or without Hasselbeck. If a team like the Vikings were to make a decent offer, he'll be gone. Seattle could then bite the bullet for a year and go with Seneca Wallace...or draft a young QB.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Yea but thats not what you said what you said was they would trade Hasselbeck and then trade for Cassel and all I was saying is I think they would do it in reverse and get Cassel and then trade Hasselbeck thats all i just think they would do what you are saying in reverse thats all I meant. no dissrespect.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bunchofpixels. Show bunchofpixels's posts

It all depends on if teams believe Cassel is just a system QB and his numbers are a product of throwing to Moss and Welker or if he can actually be a quality starter without pro-bowl talent around him. I dont know the answer to that. My guess is that the Patriots won't get a first round pick in any trade involving just Cassel.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NESportnut. Show NESportnut's posts

I would pretty much cross STL off your list they just gave Bulger and steven jackson huge multi-year contracts, so they are tied up in thsoe for a while besides, bulger has the stuff to be a great qb if they keep him upright long enough they will spend their time upgrading ol and defense before dumping Bulger!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

m

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Any deal with the Jets would include a current starter or at least it should (Revis would be a nice addition to the Pats secondary). I agree with all the teams you have suggested TEXPPAT. At some point, though, the idea of getting a 1st rounder (unless its '10) has to be discounted with the Lions, Rams and Chiefs. That pick would be far to high for the Pats, unless it was contigent on trading for a lower pick or more picks in later rounds. The Pats simply aren't going to pay for a top five pick that is unproven at the NFL level. I mentioned Carolina on the original Cassel thread because I truly believe that they have gone as far as they are going to get with Delhomme at QB; all the peices seem to be in place for Cassel to be successful there (great running game, star receiver in Smith, good defense). I might give the edge to Carolina, but Minnesota is high on that list with a great D and Peterson; Tarvaris Jackson or Ferotte aren't going to lead them anywhere. The high firsts from either the Lions, Rams or Chiefs would have to be early 2nds for the Pats brass to consider that deal. The Lions second 1st (from Dallas) would be better than the 1st overall or an early 2nd; which makes that deal all the more attractive (like the fact that Heidi Watney also likes the Red Sox makes her that much hotter). I don't think Hasselbach is done. SF is a mess, but, in a way, they hold almost the ideal pick (tenth overall; same place we got Mayo); will they still want to deal with us after getting DROTY Mayo after the Pats traded their pick down ( I still think that was an awesome move). I just realised Seattle sucked this year (even though Seneca Wallace gashed the Pats) and are at 4th overall or something; I reiterate the Pats brass will not want a high first. Plus the Hawks trading Hasselbach and then trading to get Cassel seems far-fetched. Thus the three best trading partners are SF, Minni, and Carolina. I like the SF 1st the best (Maualaga, Jenkins, Orakpo, and Monroe could be available), but for Cassel as a player Carolina and Minnesota are close ideal situations and the Pats brass won't have to spend a huge amount of money to sign those 1sts.

As I have stated throughout the Cassel discussions alot depends on which FA QB lands where. With Garcia, Warner, and Collins hitting FA market alot depends on who lands where. I agree these guys are ancient, but good starting QBs are a premium in the NFL. Both Garcia and Warner have proven that they can lead a team more so than Cassel, however, Cassel has youth and a higher ceiling (at this point) than Collins or Garcia. And there are still stiffs like Kyle Boller or J P Losman that could provide short term success at the QB position. If Detroit, St Louis or K C wants to wait until a deeper 2010 QB class what's to stop them from using cheap options like Boller or Losman as short-term stop gap solutions. At this point, like it or not, Warner is the best FA QB on the market. And he's old, but he's still the type of player that would instantly make any team that signs him (eg: Carolina, Tampa or the Vikes) better. And then there's Brett "I will retire for the sixth time and then sign with the Vikings so I can stick it to my old team" Favre. Either way, Cassel represents a younger option and we already know that Collins and Garcia have reached their full potential; we don't really know if that has happened yet with Cassel. Aside from Warner(an ageless wonder like Raquel Welch) I believe the FA QBs to be a weak class primarily because of age. Cassel's youth presents a clear and concise advantage (will those other guys even be playing football in three years).

As you can readily discern from what I have written the Pats would want a pick in the 1st in the 10-25 range; so let us dispense with the notion that the Pats will, somehow, acquire and pay a top 5 pick for Cassel. Even with a high 2nd for Cassel, the Pats get better value for their money and the option of packaging picks to move up, out (2010 draft) or acquire more picks by trading down increases. I can't wait for the Cassel situation to resolve itself and......the upcoming NFL draft.

Thoughts....TEX.....anyone.....Bueller

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Hog:

I understand your logic about the Pats not wanting to deal with a top 5 pick. But, unlike some clubs, I'm confident that the Pats will find a way to get high value for such a pick.

Who would want JP Los(e)man or Kyle Boller leading their teams...even for one season? These guys are busts. They're back-up fodder at best.

Kurt Warner is going nowhere. The Cards will resign him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

If they resign Warner in AZ do you think they will cut Leinhart? I mean he is being paid top ten money and he is clearly not going to be the QB1 anytime soon so I say they either cut him loose and find a new "future" QB or they make him restructure his contract to fit his back up QB role.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Another thing to look at is.what team runs the same style offense as the pats?,or very close to theres.im sure other teams are aware of the work in one system a bust in another.so which ever team is intreasted would have to set up an offense that favors cassels strengths for them to be sucessful with him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Texas, both Boller (who nearly beat the Brady-led Pats in '07) and Losman are, as stated, short term options that should come cheap. Any sub.500 team will look at them as back-ups with starting experience or short term options for the rebuilding process TEX. I am not saying that they are better than the FA QBs I listed, obviously, however if some team likes the 2010 QB draft class better than the 2009 draft class then Losman and Boller are still viable options. Would you rather have O Connell (0 experience as a starter) or some stiff like Los(e)man running your offense for the short term ? The point is, like it or not, both Boller and Losman are known quantities, by contrast, O Connell is an unknown quantity. Let's not forget that whichever team signs Cassel (or pays him) will be paying him franchise money. Therefore, while I agree that Boller and Losman are not good players (compared to Cassel, Garcia amd Collins) they are still viable options at QB for team whose rebuilding process could take three years (eg: KC and Detroit).

Yeah, unless somebody offers Warner a huge (think 50 million + for 4 years) contract it's hard to see him going anywhere. Warner off the market would enhance Cassel's trade value. And Garcia and Collins are old and have reached their potential.

When people disagree with me it just serves to make me that much more curious (especially when I am on my fifth Jack and Ginger Ale). Who exactly are the Pats targetting with this top five pick, TEXPAT ? Personally I think Curry because he looks like a beast. I can't see the Pats spending top five money on Smith or Monroe (O Lineman) or a WR (Crabtree) and if Brady is healthy, QB is something they won't worry about until the 4th round. Unless you presuppose that the Pats brass would trade down or out. The high 2nd still provides great value especially since the Pats drafted Cassel fairly late.

Wasn't Collins a bust until he showed up at Tennessee ?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

If Revis were available, I would trade Cassel to the Jets for him straight up. I think he is/ will be that good. Of course, it is far more likely that Cassel is traded out of the division, and even out of the conference.

What about Cassel to the Chiefs for Brandon Flowers and a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Cassel to the Vikings for Chad Greenway and a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I like Revis, but hell would have to freeze over for BB to trade Cassel to a division rival. Greenway is good and I still count the Vikings as a potential trade partner (more so than the Jets, Rams or Lions). People keep mentioning Greenway is he unhappy....what's the deal ?

For the record, I would not trade Cassel straight up to the Jets for Revis...why.....because screw the jets....that's why.....I'd want more (a 3rd)....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[Quote]If Revis were available, I would trade Cassel to the Jets for him straight up. I think he is/ will be that good. Of course, it is far more likely that Cassel is traded out of the division, and even out of the conference.

What about Cassel to the Chiefs for Brandon Flowers and a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Cassel to the Vikings for Chad Greenway and a 2nd or 3rd round pick.[/Quote]

Pye:

I don't think you're getting enough value for Matt in your proposed trades. After the year he just had, if Cassel were available in the upcoming draft, where do you think he'd be selected? Wouldn't he likely be the first QB chosen? In other words, Matt would likely be the top overall pick, and would be projected as a "franchise" QB:

1.) NY Jets: Isn't a franchise QB worth more than a good CB? Why would you want to see the Jets solve their QB problem? Would you like to face Matt twice per season? At a minimum, the correct value would be the Jets #1 picks in 2009 and 2010...or their 2009 #1 pick, second round pick, and Revis...for Matt and the Pats' 5th round pick in the 2009 draft;

2.) KC Chiefs: Again, if we agree that Cassel would be the first pick of this years' draft if he were available, I think you're selling Matt's value a bit short. I would expect as a minimum the Chiefs' second round pick this season, and their #1 pick next season. Getting CB Flowers thrown in would be a nice bonus. Getting veteran TE Tony Gonzalez instead might be more realistic;

3.) Minnesota Vikings: If Cassel is considered comparable to the top pick in the 2009 draft: Perhaps the Pats could get Greenway, Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 2009, and their #1 pick in 2010...for Matt and the Pats' 3rd round pick in 2009.

Just a little food for thought.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[Quote]
    Texas, both Boller (who nearly beat the Brady-led Pats in '07) and Losman are, as stated, short term options that should come cheap. Any sub.500 team will look at them as back-ups with starting experience or short term options for the rebuilding process TEX. I am not saying that they are better than the FA QBs I listed, obviously, however if some team likes the 2010 QB draft class better than the 2009 draft class then Losman and Boller are still viable options. Would you rather have O Connell (0 experience as a starter) or some stiff like Los(e)man running your offense for the short term ?

RESPONSE: I'd rather have O'Connell. He has far more upside than the failures that are (B)losman (I can't ever seem to spell his name right), or Kyle "Picks" Boller.

The point is, like it or not, both Boller and Losman are known quantities,

RESPONSE: Yes, they are "known" quantities...and both are known to suck.

Let's not forget that whichever team signs Cassel (or pays him) will be paying him franchise money. Therefore, while I agree that Boller and Losman are not good players (compared to Cassel, Garcia amd Collins) they are still viable options at QB for team whose rebuilding process could take three years (eg: KC and Detroit).

RESPONSE: Put either Blosman or "Picks" at QB, and that team might as well mail in its' season. Why not give a young guy like O'Connell a try instead...and see what he can do? Or...why not draft a young QB? Anything is better than starting these two clowns.

Yeah, unless somebody offers Warner a huge (think 50 million + for 4 years) contract it's hard to see him going anywhere. Warner off the market would enhance Cassel's trade value. And Garcia and Collins are old and have reached their potential.

RESPONSE: After making it to the SB, win or lose, theres' no way that the Cards will let Kurt get away. They'll sign him to a lucrative two year deal...with an option. Garcia is done. The Titans will likely resign Collins to a two year deal;

When people disagree with me it just serves to make me that much more curious (especially when I am on my fifth Jack and Ginger Ale). Who exactly are the Pats targetting with this top five pick, TEXPAT ? Personally I think Curry because he looks like a beast. I can't see the Pats spending top five money on Smith or Monroe (O Lineman) or a WR (Crabtree) and if Brady is healthy, QB is something they won't worry about until the 4th round. Unless you presuppose that the Pats brass would trade down or out. The high 2nd still provides great value especially since the Pats drafted Cassel fairly late.

RESPONSE: As you well know, there are some negatives with having a top 5 pick. But, I have supreme confidence in BB to get maximum value for the pick. They'll either make a couple of trades down (most likely)...or use the pick to select a stud LT. A guy like Curry could also draw some consideration...but only if BB sees him as the next LT (Lawrence Taylor...how is it that Tomlinson hijacked Taylor's moniker??), or at least the next Willie McGinest;

RESPONSE: No. He led the Carolina Panthers' young franchise in his rookie year to the NFC title game. Dom Capers was the Panthers head coach back then. After that, he experienced drinking and emotional problems, before he again emerged with the NY Giants. He led them to a couple of very good seasons, including a SB birth in 2000 against the Baltimore Ravens.

[/Quote]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

[Quote][Quote]
    Texas, both Boller (who nearly beat the Brady-led Pats in '07) and Losman are, as stated, short term options that should come cheap. Any sub.500 team will look at them as back-ups with starting experience or short term options for the rebuilding process TEX. I am not saying that they are better than the FA QBs I listed, obviously, however if some team likes the 2010 QB draft class better than the 2009 draft class then Losman and Boller are still viable options. Would you rather have O Connell (0 experience as a starter) or some stiff like Los(e)man running your offense for the short term ?

RESPONSE: I'd rather have O'Connell. He has far more upside than the failures that are (B)losman (I can't ever seem to spell his name right), or Kyle "Picks" Boller.

The point is, like it or not, both Boller and Losman are known quantities,

RESPONSE: Yes, they are "known" quantities...and both are known to suck.

Let's not forget that whichever team signs Cassel (or pays him) will be paying him franchise money. Therefore, while I agree that Boller and Losman are not good players (compared to Cassel, Garcia amd Collins) they are still viable options at QB for team whose rebuilding process could take three years (eg: KC and Detroit).

RESPONSE: Put either Blosman or "Picks" at QB, and that team might as well mail in its' season. Why not give a young guy like O'Connell a try instead...and see what he can do? Or...why not draft a young QB? Anything is better than starting these two clowns.

RESPONSE: After making it to the SB, win or lose, theres' no way that the Cards will let Kurt get away. They'll sign him to a lucrative two year deal...with an option. Garcia is done. The Titans will likely resign Collins to a two year deal;

RESPONSE: As you well know, there are some negatives with having a top 5 pick. But, I have supreme confidence in BB to get maximum value for the pick. They'll either make a couple of trades down (most likely)...or use the pick to select a stud LT. A guy like Curry could also draw some consideration...but only if BB sees him as the next LT (Lawrence Taylor...how is it that Tomlinson hijacked Taylor's moniker??), or at least the next Willie McGinest;

RESPONSE: No. He led the Carolina Panthers' young franchise in his rookie year to the NFC title game. Dom Capers was the Panthers head coach back then. After that, he experienced drinking and emotional problems, before he again emerged with the NY Giants. He led them to a couple of very good seasons, including a SB birth in 2000 against the Baltimore Ravens.

[/Quote][/Quote]

I keep forgetting Collins in Carolina. TEXASPAT. The problem I have with your argument is that you keep saying Boller and LOsman suck, but then you clearly indicate that you expect Warner and Collins (the top two FA QBs) to be off the market when they sign with their current team. And here I am telling you what's left over and why this matters to the Cassel situation. As for the top five scenario I can only see BB doing it if the pick is in 2010.

If Warner and Collins are taken off the market it affects Cassel's value (eg; it goes up) precisely because the only real QBs leftover are Garcia (too old) and the two stooges. Most teams would rather have Cassel than any of these three, however, you can't entirely discount the bargain bin QBs available as a short term option. I am talking about Boller and Losman landing in places like KC and Detroit and competing for the starters job. It's top tier (Cassel, Garcia) vs lower-tiered (Losman and Boller)QBs. I also said that if BB trades Cassel and gets the top five pick it will be contingent on him trading down (eg: a deal in principle will already be in place to get rid of that pick on draft day) . Collins and Warner signing directly affects Cassel's value. I still think Minni and Carolina are the best suitors based on the trade options (low 1st or a player like Greenway). we'll see what happens.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Texaspat, maybe his value falls somewhere in between my perceived value and yours. You may be right that I am undervaluing him, but I think you might be overvaluing him a bit. I don't think he would necessarily be the top pick in the draft, and my proposals are made under the assumption that Cassel would bring us a mid first round pick. Revis, Flowers and Greenway are legit first round talents who have already proven they can play in this league. It could be argued that if those 3 are each valued as a mid first round pick, then that is what Cassel will be valued at as well. Since he is a qb, however, I threw in 2nd round picks in addition to the players. Therefore, in essence, my proposed trades were Cassel for 1st and 2nd round picks.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[Quote]Texaspat, maybe his value falls somewhere in between my perceived value and yours. You may be right that I am undervaluing him, but I think you might be overvaluing him a bit. I don't think he would necessarily be the top pick in the draft, and my proposals are made under the assumption that Cassel would bring us a mid first round pick. Revis, Flowers and Greenway are legit first round talents who have already proven they can play in this league. It could be argued that if those 3 are each valued as a mid first round pick, then that is what Cassel will be valued at as well. Since he is a qb, however, I threw in 2nd round picks in addition to the players. Therefore, in essence, my proposed trades were Cassel for 1st and 2nd round picks.[/Quote]

Pye:

Ask yourself this: If Matt Cassel were eligible for the upcoming NFL draft, do you think that Georgia QB Matthew Stafford would be rated ahead of him? I think not...and many draft pundits, including Mel Kiper, Jr., are projecting that Stafford will be the first player selected.

If thats' true, and its' true that Cassel would be rated ahead of Stafford if available, doesn't it follow that Cassel, if available for the draft, would be the #1 player selected overall? Therefore, his minimal value would seem to be that of the #1 overall pick in the 2009 draft.

If a trade is to be made with the Jets, doesn't it make sense that the Pats demand a premium? After all, thats' the last place that they would want to see him end up.