1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yeselp. Show yeselp's posts

prediction

Patriots good in Red Zone, again. 34-16

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobheckler. Show bobheckler's posts

prediction

dave,áThat would be the San Diego Flippers of the National BlowHole Association.ábob

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mulcogi. Show mulcogi's posts

prediction

Scal, Big Baby, Pruitt and the Dudder for Amare Danny is hesitant to give up on dudder but its the only way the salaries work under the CBA

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlipperySam. Show SlipperySam's posts

prediction

Dav,

I can't even recall the reasons why they substituted the new Garden for the old one. I assume at least some of them may have been structural.

What I miss most is the sound. I'm not sure if the crowds have since become more "corporate" and less loud...or the acoustics of the old place magnified the sound more...or if I'm just imagining it (I don't believe so). But both the intensity and the length of the really major roars were unmatched in the old place...despite the fact that the crowds were smaller than at TD Whatever.

I'm thankful for the parquet floor (cosmetically similar to the original one) and the presence of the banners as reminders of the old place.

Perhaps my fondest memory regarding the old building itself (as distinct from what transpired there) was actually swinging from one of the rafters.

It wasn't a a basketball game but at a U2 concert. My wife had broken a leg, and I wheeled her from our apartment (only four blocks away in the North End) to the Garden. They put us way up top to accommodate her wheelchair on the floor behind all the rows of seats. There was a wall about three feet high between the seats and the level floor. I climbed the wall and was able to reach a rafter, which I swung out on (not too far) while they were playing "Where the Streets Have No Name."

The only problem was the hidden rat poop that lined the ridge I was handing onto. My hands got covered with it. Now it's worth it because I can tell the story, but it didn't seem worth it back in the early 90s.

I think that, if the Celtics can win a championship, the new Garden will finally be initiated into the annals of Celtic lore. Time marches on.

Sam

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from newbill. Show newbill's posts

prediction

Dav-->�-->I miss the old place too. It�s just not the same.� -->�-->For years I sat in section 113 (1st balcony across from the visitors bench) and loved every minute of every game I saw.� There was real emotion at the Garden rather then piped-in, scoreboard driven enthusiasm.� -->�-->In the Garden you could count on bumping elbows with real knowledgeable fans every night that lived and died with the team�and thankfully there was a whole lot of living going on back then.� -->�-->One of my saddest sports moments was driving up the old expressway and looking over to my left to see the Garden cut in half as they were taking it down.� I hadn�t expected to see it like that and somehow (an unrealistic and unexpected emotion I guess) I thought it should have been given more dignity when it died.� I could see my old seats and still remember the feeling that overwhelmed me after all the great times I experienced there.� -->�-->I miss the old place too�I just don�t have the connection to the new one and probably never will

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dav305z. Show dav305z's posts

prediction

I went to one game at the Garden when I was young, and I'll never forget it. It was hot inside even though it was sometime around February and I felt like I was soo close to Reggie Lewis. Most amazing of all, especially to a young child, were the people. I remember chatting it up with the guy next to me, something that my dad would not have allowed in most environments. It was intimate.

I've been to several games at the Fleet Center/TD Banknorth Garden, and have no specific problem with it, but it's just very generic. I think basketball learned later than baseball that a stadium needs to be more than just a big building with lots of skyboxes. Camden Yards for instance, is a really neat place to see a game, even though it's not filled with history.

The designers of the TD Banknorth Garden should have specifically tried to perserve the intimate seating style of the Garden. As many have mentioned, every seat felt close to the floor. It was an egalitarian experience. Certainly a good architect could have figured out how to transfer that feeling to a high tech, modern facility.

Sections
Shortcuts