1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccb2006. Show ccb2006's posts

Rays are better

Hey TampaWS, how long have you been watching baseball ? You seem such a novice. First of all, Beckett is not washed up. It's called being INJURED. Big difference. You are correct though, the Rays are better than the Red Sox, I am fan enough to admit it. They won the East and that means they were better than the Sox, Yankees, Blue Jays and Orioles. The Red Sox dont concede anything. They showed their toughness in coming back, although Eva Longoria's throw did help a bit. And if the Rays do win tonight, my congrats will go to the Rays, but until then, the Red Sox are still in this. I am skeptical in Beckett's ability to pitch an effective game tonight as it is obvious he is not himself and I dont know why the team cant see it, but that's why they play the games....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

Rays are better

No one can argue that the Rays should not be favored to win one of the next two games at Tropicana. Whether because of their youth or manager, they have bounced back repeatedly this season. Most of all, they have the pitching--the starters and the bullpen--to prevail.

On the other hand, the Red Sox have also demonstrated an ability to bounce back, especially in the playoffs and over a longer period than one season.

Your comment about Longoria's error being bad/good luck is specious. It was a tough play, and it was an error. Moreover, Youk on second with two outs wasn't Youk scoring. For Youk to score, a ground rule double/single was required, and the same guy who hit the dinger in the 8th hit the double. That wasn't luck. Besides, it was obvious to everyone that momentum had changed in the 8th inning. For that game, the Rays were toast.

Despite the huge game 5 win, winning at the Trop against Shields and Garza is a daunting prospect for the Sox, especially with Beckett's physical issues and Lester perhaps having finally gotten a little tired from pitching so many innings this season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Rays are better

So... are you setting us up for the "Angel's Excuse" if the Rays lose this series, that the better team lost?

There is no doubt the Rays are a good team. But the difference between them and the Sox is not that great. Only two games seperated them in the regular season and you can chalk it up to the head to head 10-8 edge in wins. Other than that, where else are they so much better than the Sox? Right now your Rays team is a healthy team. The Sox have admitted as much that Beckett is off his game, Lowell is out of the line-up, Papi is still trying to adjust for his wrist injury, and if Manny hadn't have been Manny, who knows how the season would have ended for the Sox. Take a look at your Rays lineup: take Longoria out, Shields gets injured, trade away Pena, and what do you have? Your Rays are facing a very different team than the one that won the WS in '07.

Of the 10 wins against the Sox, 8 were by 1-2 runs, the Sox outscored your "better" team Rays 87 - 67 in their head to head games. Your Rays led the league in one run wins, games that could have gone either way and led the league in walk-off victories. So, add it all up, a whole lot of stars aligned for your Rays this season, you don't go from last to first in one year without some luck. I will give them credit for an excellent season, a magical one and a great story, that can't be taken away, but, please, don't let a few games be the sole measure.

Teams get hot, teams turn cold. Your biggest fear may the Sox just got hot and their bats have come alive just in time to win this series. Either way, both teams deserve to be wherre they are and let the best one win.

GO SOX!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JAR59. Show JAR59's posts

Rays are better

Tampa...It's over ... Sox will win in 7 now...the rays will remember that, despite winning the East, they're still the rays...also, look for a dramatic cool-off in their bats, no team stays hot like that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtDog78. Show DirtDog78's posts

Rays are better

I can't argued that the Rays are better than the Red Sox at this point of the season. The Red Sox just had to deal with way too much adversities this season to face the Rays at 100%. In fact the Sox were never at 100% at any point this season, but still manage to battle themselves into a playoff spot and get to the ALCS already speaks volumes of how tough they are. Sure the Rays lost Longoria and Crowford late in the season, but they are both back in full health for the playoffs. So yes, the Rays are better, but if they were facing the Red Sox that they were 100% healthy, it'd be another story. Still give credit where credit is due, a heck of a turn around for this young Tampa team, and if they win it all, I'll give them all the props in the world.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from schmangell. Show schmangell's posts

Rays are better

No one seems to have noticed that this guy wants the RS to "concede." Concede?

This seems to be where this idiot needs to be schooled.

"Never stop fighting until the fight is done."

Moron.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Rays are better

I'm living the best of both worlds I live in Bradenton and my RS are playing the only team I'd like to see in the WS other than the RS.
    TampaWS
    You are right the Rays were better than the Sox during the season. They won the division by 2 and beat the Sox 10-8.However the Sox were a better hitting team and had a better defense but the Rays had a better pitching staff especially in the bullpen

You are also right that the error by Longoria was luck but that is part of the game. But you also have to admit that the fact that it came down to Longoria's error was not luck but a complete failure by Tampa's bullpen. Which can be construed as luck depending on what side of the fence you sit.
    Beckett is not washed up so you are wrong on that account he has had an injury prone year.

You say that game 5 was just a bump in the road to the WS. Well if you don't learn about history some say you are doomed to repeat it. In the past few years there are a few teams who believed they were better teams (their players said so) despite losing to the Sox. LA, NYY, Cleveland, etc...
    You play the regular season to get to the WS. You play the playoffs to see who can win the WS.
    BTW I'll be in Section 115 row JJ right behind the Sox dugout red RS shirt, blue and red sox hat (old style) and taking pictures of my favorite team against my second favorite team. What else could I ask for except a SOX WIN.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Rays are better

TampWS,

Not a very bright post, for a lot of reasons.

1. Season series, not overall record, demonstrates the better team. It was 10-8 in favor of TB. So yeah, the Rays were one game better than the Sox, but...

2. Your precious Rays were actually the "lucky" team as you put it. Do you even know how many of those games were decided by fewer than 2 runs? Go check on that, then come back. If you're going to try to apply luck to one team, you have to apply it to both. And you'll find that TB was the luckier of the two teams.

3. Why would you bring such stupidity on yourself with the claim, "I was hoping you all would do the right thing and concede..." You realize none of us actully play for the Sox, right? Or did you think you had a phone to the dugout in this thread?

4. The real, bonafide TB fans should be ticked off at you for posting such an idiotic thread. You're a troll, and nothing more. There are actual TB fans who come into this board and actually know the game of baseball. You are not one of them. You just started your screenname today.

5. Did you become a Rays' fan a the start of the playoffs, or during the series against the Sox? Your post indicates that you actually don't even follow your own team, since it's full of misinformation.

Again, to the real TB fans, the ones with class and self-respect, you have a great team that deserves the accolades it has received.

To TampaWS and the other TB "Fans", not so much.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Rays are better

[Quote]
    I'm living the best of both worlds I live in Bradenton and my RS are playing the only team I'd like to see in the WS other than the RS.
    TampaWS
    You are right the Rays were better than the Sox during the season. They won the division by 2 and beat the Sox 10-8.However the Sox were a better hitting team and had a better defense but the Rays had a better pitching staff especially in the bullpen

You are also right that the error by Longoria was luck but that is part of the game. But you also have to admit that the fact that it came down to Longoria's error was not luck but a complete failure by Tampa's bullpen. Which can be construed as luck depending on what side of the fence you sit.
    Beckett is not washed up so you are wrong on that account he has had an injury prone year.

You say that game 5 was just a bump in the road to the WS. Well if you don't learn about history some say you are doomed to repeat it. In the past few years there are a few teams who believed they were better teams (their players said so) despite losing to the Sox. LA, NYY, Cleveland, etc...
    You play the regular season to get to the WS. You play the playoffs to see who can win the WS.
    BTW I'll be in Section 115 row JJ right behind the Sox dugout red RS shirt, blue and red sox hat (old style) and taking pictures of my favorite team against my second favorite team. What else could I ask for except a SOX WIN.
    [/Quote]

That's awesome, Jim. Enjoy the game. Be looking out for you! Hope it's a good one,

Soups

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

Rays are better

The Pats were the better team in the Superbowl last year. So what?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ct-pitcher. Show ct-pitcher's posts

Rays are better

"Despite what happened in game 5, I just thought I come here and say I think that the Rays are still the better team."

Yeah? and the Angels said they were the better team too and look where they are.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

Rays are better

Oh I agree the Rays are the better team. Especially with Becket having a torn oblique. He was the guy they really counted on and it's been dreadful with him out there. Lowrie is no major league shortstop since he can't hit for beans and Varitek is an automatic out. Lowell is missing, Manny is gone, Ortiz is only batting .104 and Drew .230 in this series, so yeah there's plenty of reasons for the Rays to feel confident. The Upton-Pena-Longoria home run display has been amazing.

BUT, the Rays were only 7 outs away from hammering the last nail in the coffin and now they're 27 outs away. The beauty of the playoffs is you never know where the heroics will come from. Look at all the Sox fans who wanted to see Crisp traded and there he was with the mother of all at-bats to drive Kotsay to tie it up. That was the defining moment in that game.

Who knows, maybe Upton an d company will drive a few more in the stands and it'll be over. On the other hand, maybe Varitek, as overdue as humanly possible, gets a hold of one. Lol. It's not over til the final out. Ask Jeter!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flippie19. Show Flippie19's posts

Rays are better

How teams finish in the regular season means nothing come the playoffs. The best team is the team that is clicking at the right time on all cylinders and maintains that throughout the playoffs. Until the 7th inning Thursday that was Tampa...but now we will see.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from letswinsox. Show letswinsox's posts

Rays are better

I am sure that this poster was on last year at this time talking about how his/her Indians were going to wrap thing up in Boston.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2for4. Show 2for4's posts

Rays are better

"Washed up as a player".... What an idiot.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sbara1. Show sbara1's posts

Rays are better

I agree Rays have the better team today. Beckett, Papi and JD not healthy and last years Series MVP Lowell & Lugo out for the year.
    The lineup if you were playing xbox with the computer would put Tampa in the WS but that's why you play the game. The team with the most heart, best defense and execution with a little luck will always win and go on.
    The best team in 07 was Cleveland and Angels in 08 so what's your point posting Rays are the better team. Your kindergarten comments "We're better than you" . . .

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Rays are better

Tampaws I appreciate your guts coming here and you guys have certainly had a fantastic season no matter what happens next. That being said, I think it only fair that the Sox should offer YOU a chance to forfeit the remaining games. I see no reason to further your fear and pain anticipating what the Sox will do to you next. Now go homew before I change my mind mister!! :0 P

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ProudPatsFan. Show ProudPatsFan's posts

Rays are better

I'm a proud Red Sox fan living in Tampa, FL. 6 years ago, I was sitting in a college classroom at the University of South Florida. The Professor asked the class (mostly native Floridians) "how many of you would care if the Rays one the World Series?" NOONE raised their hand. Not one person! If that doesn't say it all, I don't know what does. You couldn't pay an average Bay Area resident to leave their house with any Devil Ray/Ray gear prior to this season. Now, seemingly everyone owns a tshirt or a hat and they talk an unbelievable amount of trash. They are completely disrespectful to legitimate baseball fans (Red Sox and, yes, Yanks fans, too) while acting like their team is the best thing to ever happen to the game. I've experienced it down here with the Bucs, the Lightning, and now the Rays. Tampa fans make it out to purchase their jersey just in time for game 7 of a Championship series. Other than that, they are pathetic! I'm wearing my Red Sox jersey proudly today as I have been all season long. Maybe I'll teach a few Tampa natives what it's like to be a true fan of a hometown team. The Rays Team deserves a better fan base and, by that, I don't mean a fanbase of trash talkers and thugs. I mean a fan base that has a legitimate knowledge, respect of the game, and the realization that the Rays are a very young franchise that are very fortunate to now be where they are. In other words, Rays fans need to learn the meaning of the word "humble."

I'm hoping Beckett shines tonight. The Rays haven't seen a decent starting pitching performance since Game 1, so hopefully that will throw them for a loop tonight. Hopefully the offense will continue their tear and take an early lead. Hopefully these loud and obnoxious Rays fans will be silenced and forced to put their gear back in hiding. One of these days, Rays fans might realize that pride can continue even when your team is in the loss column. Go Red Sox!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

Rays are better

Hey what did I tell you? Lol. Varitek, as overdue as is humanly possible, DID get a hold of one and it was the game winner. This Sox team is no where as good as the '04 group, but they still know how to COWBOY UP!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from acious. Show acious's posts

Rays are better

The better team shall be decided Sunday night

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ih8coltsfans. Show ih8coltsfans's posts

Rays are better

The Rays may be better but the Sox have more HEART

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

Rays are better

Rays can be better....we'll just keep winning.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

Rays are better

Hmmmm, who to like in a game 7...? the 'better' team, or the toughest, more experienced team???? Hmmmm...take a guess.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from brazildj. Show brazildj's posts

Rays are better

Damn uppity Red Sox, going around, beating all these "better" teams.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mudbugger. Show mudbugger's posts

Rays are better

You were lucky to win game 5. If Longoria didn't threw the error, the game would have been a different outcome. But I am sure luck won't help you guys next time.

Hey TampaWS. So.....if Boston was lucky in game 5, how do you explain game #6? Do you say or can you say: expierenced, better pitching from a so-called "washed up pitcher", just a rag team of players that have dealt with adversity all season long and are play off tested and not ready to concede?

good luck in game #7. The Rays might have better talent, but the Red Sox have more heart, and I'll take my chances picking them to win.

Sections
Shortcuts