1. You have chosen to ignore posts from manfredoko. Show manfredoko's posts

Red Sox able to get out of JD Drew's contract?

I know that when JD Drew was signed, there was some clause that if he had recurring back injuries, the Red Sox would be able to get out of the contract after the third season. This is Drew's third season with the Red Sox, and he has had multiple back injuries. Does anyone know what needs to happen to allow the Red Sox to get out from under the commitment to Drew's remaining two seasons?

Imagine letting Drew go, and making our corner outfield Jason Bay, and Matt Holliday, or finding a one year stop gap like Ordonez to pave the way for Josh Reddick!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mudbugger. Show mudbugger's posts

mano ~ the clause in the contract i believe pertains to Drew's shoulder (I forget which one), which there was numerous tests and MRI's etc.

The back wasn't on the radar, so the Red Sox appears to be on the hook for the entire amount of the salary.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

JD Drew will be on the books until 2012. Manny could quit in August and play more games than Drew every year. I for one am sick and tired of JD faking all these injuries and collecting a fat paycheck.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waltham781. Show Waltham781's posts

The clause in Drew's contract is two-fold:

1. The Sox can opt out of the contract if he is on the DL for 35 days with a pre-existing injury. In this case the sore right shoulder that Drew was experiencing when he signed with the Sox is the pre-existing injury. So far he has had zero problems with that shoulder as a Red Sox.

2. If he finishes the year on the DL and the injury is such that he can not play the OF again, the Sox can opt out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Yepper the above posters are correct in that the contract stipulation specifically relates to the shoulder. Just another example of Boras outsmarting Theo. With Drews leg injury history, why wouldn't the Sox have simply made it missing X amount of games for ANY reasons would activate the kick out clause? Because they were too much in manlove with Drew to think it all through.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Calmy,I can only assume you dont watch RS games? Fake injuries? Did you see the play. DID YOU SEE THE PLAY? He was going hard after a deep fly ball, and tried to save a homerun. He folded backwards over the RF wall. His feet were on the ground, his back was arched over the wall and his head was on the bullpen grass. OUCH!

Those nagging injuries before he got here? Shoulder and neck. BOth of which have held up fine for him.

Oh yeah, and what did he do after sustaining a gruesome back injury? Tried his absolute hardest to play through it, played through pain all year, and then was our best hitter in the ALCS. But I guess thats not good enough for you. Youd rather have AROD, who plays 160 regular season games and is terrible in the postseason, than JD who has to miss 1-2 months during the season because of a bad back, but who always brings it when we need him most.

Pathetic.

Oh and by the way, the RF before JD was Trot Nixon. How often was Nixon hurt again? Oh yeah, usually. You know why? Because ANY RF who has ever played at Fenway will tell you RF in Fenway is an ABSOLUTE DEATH TRAP! He hurt his back on a legit injury because of a very awkward RF in fenway. Other than that hes been, the perfect fit.

Watch some games before you comment.

HAHA, release one of our best players to "pave the way" for Reddick. Why dont we cut Youk to Pave the way for Lars while we are at it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from oscars. Show oscars's posts

[Quote]JD Drew will be on the books until 2012. Manny could quit in August and play more games than Drew every year. I for one am sick and tired of JD faking all these injuries and collecting a fat paycheck.[/Quote]

"Faking"
    What do you base your opinion on? Your extensive personal knowlegde of the intricate workings of his damaged back?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

I didn't know OF's in Boston could actually be injured, sit out the latter part of the season then come back and rake in OCT. I thought when that happened, we questioned the legitimacy of their injury.

What do you base your opinion on? Your extensive personal knowlegde of the intricate workings of his damaged back? Oscars

Yeah, I found it from the same place all the info about the "intricate workings" of Manny's oblique were hiding in sept 2007. Lots of people were pretty certain that wasn't real.

I don't question Drew's injury. I do question Theo for the dreadful contract. I just like how an ageing Manny can't have a legitimate nagging injury but Drew can miss 60 games a year and it is just part of the package.
    FTR...My guess is Trot was always hurt b/c that is what happens when you stop taking steroids.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

LOL I like Drew, but it was a pretty bad signing by Theo, especially at the amount of money he signed for when no other team seemed to be interested and for the number of games the guy plays yearly on a regular basis because of one injury or another !! Drew maxes out at only 140 games a season and how many of those are not complete games ?? Anyway, at least Drew did hold the team together for a month last season and for that I'm very grateful but if his back had been acting up all off season, and supposedly after the near catch, then why hasn't this been treated already ?? Whatever the problem is or ain't I hope they get it worked out and soon !!

GO SOX 2009 !!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PSFever. Show PSFever's posts

I love a healthy JD but how often does this happen? We had the same bad luck with the very popular Nixon. If JD has another short season the Sox need to look at a long term solution like Holliday or through trade elsewhere. We hoped for years Trot would stay healthy and it hurt are team because of it.

JD should have had surgery during the off season and he may have been 100% by now. This is an injury JD knew about last season as well.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carolina-soxfan. Show carolina-soxfan's posts

[Quote]Calmy,I can only assume you dont watch RS games? Fake injuries? Did you see the play. DID YOU SEE THE PLAY? He was going hard after a deep fly ball, and tried to save a homerun. He folded backwards over the RF wall. His feet were on the ground, his back was arched over the wall and his head was on the bullpen grass. OUCH!

Those nagging injuries before he got here? Shoulder and neck. BOth of which have held up fine for him.

Oh yeah, and what did he do after sustaining a gruesome back injury? Tried his absolute hardest to play through it, played through pain all year, and then was our best hitter in the ALCS. But I guess thats not good enough for you. Youd rather have AROD, who plays 160 regular season games and is terrible in the postseason, than JD who has to miss 1-2 months during the season because of a bad back, but who always brings it when we need him most.

Pathetic.

Oh and by the way, the RF before JD was Trot Nixon. How often was Nixon hurt again? Oh yeah, usually. You know why? Because ANY RF who has ever played at Fenway will tell you RF in Fenway is an ABSOLUTE DEATH TRAP! He hurt his back on a legit injury because of a very awkward RF in fenway. Other than that hes been, the perfect fit.

Watch some games before you comment.

HAHA, release one of our best players to "pave the way" for Reddick. Why dont we cut Youk to Pave the way for Lars while we are at it.[/Quote]

Drewski,

I believe he was simply working the Manny Troll angle. Do you get it now?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from manfredoko. Show manfredoko's posts

Drewski, calm down buddy. Yeah it may be a little over the top to say JD fakes injuries because we all know he doesn't, but JD Drew is not 'one of our best players'. I would rather have Lowell, Pedroia, Youkilis, Bay, Lester, Beckett, Dice-K, Papelbon and maybe even Masterson on the roster for one year rather than one year of JD Drew. Reddick is projected to be his replacement, as he is a similar player, 5 tools, very solid defensively, without the little quirks that JD has that bother everyone. And its not releasing him if we let him walk as a free agent.