1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Rey Maualuga at 23rd????

On this mock draft Rey drops to # 23, I'm not saying that's completely out of the question but highly unlikely. But to enterain the thought would BB take him over let's say Clay Matthews or Brian Cushing?

I think Rey will slip some what, but not below 15th. This mock also has 34 on a TE, are you kidding me? With all the help needed in the secondary I don't think we have the option to take a TE but it's BB he can do what ever he wants because at the end he will prove us all wrong.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Rey Maualuga at 23rd????

http://walterfootball.com/draft2009.php

Here's the link.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Rey Maualuga at 23rd????

Man, that would be a dream draft, Maualuga, Pettigrew, and Barwin in the first 3.

Still leaves the defensive backfield understaffed, but those picks would be huge value.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Rey Maualuga at 23rd????

I would take Ray M. over Cushing any day. Ray is going to be the next Seau and how can you turn that down?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Rey Maualuga at 23rd????

Yes nice draft but I don't like Pettigrew, would take a CB in that spot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Rey Maualuga at 23rd????

MV, the pats would not turn it down but if the team was the Lions then we would be having a totally different conversation LOL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Rey Maualuga at 23rd????

m

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Rey Maualuga at 23rd????

Russ has not been signed yet.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from No1BadGuy. Show No1BadGuy's posts

Rey Maualuga at 23rd????

Saying Maualuga is the next Junior Seau is a real strech. Seau at this moment in time weighs probably within 10 lbs of what he weighed when he came into the league 20 years ago and is a physical freak of nature.

The NFL is littered with talented players who always seem to be nicked up and brittle. In fact the list of highly ranked line backers from USC who have failed in the NFL is probably just as long as the the list who have become standouts. (Mathews, Seau & McGinnis vs Cotton, Claiborn etc who were total busts) and while I am not saying that Maualuga doesn't have potential, to compare him to the greats that have played is an unfair expectation and running a 4.86 .

At #23 there will be several solid players available and I would be thrilled to take him, but moving up to #10 or #11 to prevent him from going to the Broncos, Chargers or Jets is a move I don't think i'm not making unless his pro day improves his stock.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Rey Maualuga at 23rd????

[Quote]Russ has not been signed yet.[/Quote]

He has signed a 1 year deal

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Rey Maualuga at 23rd????

Heres' the cite: http://www.boston.com/sports/football
    /patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/03/hochstein_agree.html

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Rey Maualuga at 23rd????

The Pats wont move up that high to draft anyone, thats not there style.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtcat. Show vtcat's posts

Rey Maualuga at 23rd????

Talk is that Denver may have offered a #12 draft pick for Cassel. I've heard some talking heads say the Pats would not want that high a draft pick because of the economics of signing him. If that's the case, why not take the Denver offer, trade the #12 for a 2nd rounder and a 4th or 5th rounder? Sounds better than just a #34, and it solves the problem of high signing price tag.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Rey Maualuga at 23rd????

Exactly, they could have traded #12 for a 2nd and a future 2nd or two.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Rey Maualuga at 23rd????

Sorry, he's gone at 16.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nykrb. Show nykrb's posts

Rey Maualuga at 23rd????

There is a very good chance Maualuga is there at #23, but he won't fall much further than that, with teams like the Steelers following the Pats, its not likely.

In his Senior Bowl, he showed limited ability to play the outside, and in the combine he injured his hammy... little things like that tend to drop a guy down as they head into the draft.

Myself I think Maualuga is the best replacement for Ted Johnson that I've seen available in any Draft since Ted retired, and I think he is quite capable of bringing to the Defense exactly what Johnson and Junior were able to.

There are three excellent 3-4 linebackers coming out of USC... all of them will go in the top 50, and all of them would be worth drafting. This draft will be a real disappointment if the Patriots fail to nab any of them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Rey Maualuga at 23rd????

I could care less if NE leaves this draft without grabbing a USC guy. They are ok, but overratted right now.

Maualuga is the most intriguing, because he isn't the Mamula type of defender. I think his instincts coudld make him the best of the three.

But I am not high on Cushing, he has huge bust potential.

Sure he could be alright, but he looks like more of a bodybuilder, and that at just 243. And he looked awful in the LB drills. I watched him play a lot at USC, and I never saw him really match up with a LT. He did a lot of cleanup.

And while I think Matthews could improve long term, I would rather pass and grab someone who looks more like a 3-4 OLB, maybe 15 pounds or 20 pounds heavier.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Rey Maualuga at 23rd????

Maualuga, Pettigrew, Barwin and Smith would be an incredible draft.

Given all the coverage that Barwin is getting, he might not make it to 47. But you never know, coverage doesn't necessarily equate to positive scouting.

Smith could be there, but it seems a touch low.

Pettigrew, if I had to say, would be gong before #34. But if he is there it seems solid. I just wonder what BB would make of the fact that he already has 500 TE's on the roster.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Rey Maualuga at 23rd????

True. They have Baker signed 5 years and then both Watson and Thomas. Watson and Thomas could be gone at the end of the season, but I don't see them cutting either of them. Going with 4 tight ends is risky, especially with roster spots and youth needed for the other positions.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Rey Maualuga at 23rd????

Well Watson could be cut to save some half million, but I don't see that little bit as particularly enticing.

True, both he and Thomas are done withtheir contracts in 2009.

My guess would be that there would have to be a tremendous value point in the draft for BB to take a TE, maybe someone like Cook hanging around late?

Maybe they entertain the idea of cutting one of them at that point to cover the cost of signing a rookie?

It is too bad, there really are two TEs I like in this draft, maybe three.

And no, I can't see NE going with 4 TEs. Baker was such a solid signing.He won't present the matchup problems that Watson does . . . but then he won't knock 2-3 balls up in the air each season turning them into picks, and he won't fumble in the open field, or have a pass clank off his facemask. LOL.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Rey Maualuga at 23rd????

Yeah, Watson-Pettigrew-Baker sounds nice.

I also wouldn't mind cutting Watson if they could get someone like Cook for a song, who is even faster and the same size, more or less.

So that would be Cook, Baker, Thomas?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Rey Maualuga at 23rd????

I think when all is said and done Peppers will get moved for a 2nd rounder. They have to move him. He wants to go.

Carolina is doing exactly what NE did.

And don't get used to it, LOL.

I have a feeling next time the CBA comes together the franchise tage will be reworded to stop these kinds of things.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffg316. Show jeffg316's posts

Rey Maualuga at 23rd????

1. Jenkins will be gone, he may have been slow, but he will make an excellent safety in this league.

2. isn't Maualuga labelled a two down linebacker right now? that could drop his stock where we could get him with the 34 pick and pick up one of the OLB or delmas with the 23?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocher. Show rocher's posts

Rey Maualuga at 23rd????

I definately want someone off that USC defense. They were nasty. Penn St was about the only team to have any type of success vs them. They played run and pass very well.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Rey Maualuga at 23rd????

I started this conversation because I wanted to know if I was the only one that knew the chaces of this happening (RM @ 23) are about 0 but the thought of him and Mayo in the middle is just a very nice thought.

Now a more realistic draft and one I think most of us would be happy with would be:

23-James Laurinaitis ILB
    34-Sean Smith CB
    47-Barwin OLB
    58-Paul Kruger DE at 6'5 265 he can also be a OLB

Sections
Shortcuts