1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Rice denied Hall bid

Jim Rice was passed over yet again for the Baseball Hall of Fame, getting 392 votes (72.2 percent), up from 346 (63.5 percent) last year and 16 short of the 75 percent needed. He will appear on the writers' ballot for the 15th and final time next year, when career steals leader Rickey Henderson will be among the newcomers.

Do you think Rice deserved to get in this year? Will he get in next year, in his final chance on the writer's ballot?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Rice denied Hall bid

This is getting more ridiculous by the year. Of course Jim Rice should have been inducted into the Hall of Fame this year, just as he should have been last year and the year before that. Free from the use of steroids and using just his God-given ability he was the most lethal righthanded hitter in the American League for well over a decade, hitting for both average and power, being a consistent run producer and a very good leftfielder. Next year is his last chance to get in by the writer's vote and maybe we need a propaganda campaign to help get the guy in. Yes, in my opinion, he belongs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

Rice denied Hall bid

I think next year willbe the year he is Just too close now. No body has ever not been elected and recieve that many votes. He and Rick will go in togather. I hope Hawk and Bly get it I think they all were the best of the best durring thier respective era's.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from steve82953. Show steve82953's posts

Rice denied Hall bid

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

However, I congratulate Rich Gossage. It took far too long to get HIM in there too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from glen22776. Show glen22776's posts

Rice denied Hall bid

What a joke.
    There shouldn't even be a debate about Jim Rice. But we've got crackpot reporters like Rob Neyer out there practically Lobbying to Keep him out... Whats Neyer's problem anyway?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gruberej. Show gruberej's posts

Rice denied Hall bid

amen fred...how ironic...the man voted in this year says Rice put the fear of God in him...oh well...Jim Ed should have considered using performance enhancing glasses...he would have been a sure thing...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dewey1970. Show dewey1970's posts

Rice denied Hall bid

Unfortunately, you are dead wrong! Rice is even more of an a.ssh.ole now and I am glad he missed again. I haver been torn on this for years, but after meeting him in person recently, I am glad! Ask anyone who sees him day to day around the golf courses and charity tourneys and they will tell you he is just an a.ss!!

It's always great to have Sox players enshrined, but I can do without his bust in Cooperstown. I see it enough during the year!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from glen22776. Show glen22776's posts

Rice denied Hall bid

The Red Sox should bend the rule and retire his number this year.
    An organization sending a message like that and the publicity would get him in.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Rice denied Hall bid

Jete, glad your boy made it. Goose earned it; he was one of the most feared relief pitchers in his day. Too bad Jim Ed got shafted again.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wisguy. Show wisguy's posts

Rice denied Hall bid

I really feel for Jim Ed Rice. As a teenager in the '70s, he was, to me, by far the most exciting baseball player I saw. He could hit, he carried on the 50-year legacy of great left fielders at Fenway (Williams, Yaz, Rice), and few pitchers wanted to face him. There is no doubt in my mind he's a Hall of Famer. He deserved to get in this year. I believe he'll get in next year. If he doesn't, there's no justice.

I stil find it hard to believe that Bert Blyleven isn't in.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mlk5678. Show mlk5678's posts

Rice denied Hall bid

Once again the writers holding a grudge - how infantile - we'll have to see what happens next year - but I will bet that when "Saint Roger's" turn comes around the writers will look at the Mitchell Report and say that it was all conjhecture - no hard facts. To keep a deserving player like Rice out once again because of things that happened so long ago - GROW UP!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from peskypole. Show peskypole's posts

Rice denied Hall bid

It's always great to have Sox players enshrined, but I can do without his bust in Cooperstown. I see it enough during the year!!

That's good then, because in Cooperstown, they have plaques, not busts. The busts are in Canton, OH, at the football HOF.

And whoever brought up that whole "the Yankee guy got in an not the Red Sox guy" crap, just stop it. Although it's highly probable, it's possible that he won't go in as a Yankee.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hooky. Show hooky's posts

Rice denied Hall bid

What have I been saying all along? Nothing against a man that was a Sox great, but he doesn't quite belong.

Let's let this be the end of it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigstuman. Show bigstuman's posts

Rice denied Hall bid

I am stunned that Jim Rice was not chosen this year. With all thats troubling baseball I was hoping that Jim would be selected based on his dominace and abilities and not because of lingering prjudices by the group of baseball writers who did not think he was "nice" enough as a personality.

There has got to be a better way to decide on true superstars who did not abuse their bodies with steroids to hit a few extra homeruns.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from taxationwithoutrepresentation. Show taxationwithoutrepresentation's posts

Rice denied Hall bid

What writers are voting against Rice?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from janmacyy. Show janmacyy's posts

Rice denied Hall bid

Of course he should have gotten in this year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mpc755. Show mpc755's posts

Rice denied Hall bid

My only reason for not seeing Jim Rice in the hall of fame was his hitting into double plays. Here is a good take on that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Rice

"His biggest flaw as a hitter was his knack for hitting into double plays.Rice's ability to hit a baseball dangerously hard, coupled with havingmany slow-footed teammates on base in front of him (e.g., Wade Boggs, Dwight Evans, Bill Buckner,etc.) resulted in many double plays. In 1984 he hit into a singleseason record of 36 double plays. He is not in bad company when itcomes to grounding into double plays, because many of the careerleaders in this category are Hall of Famers (e.g. Cal Ripken, Carl Yastrzemski, Hank Aaron, etc.). Rice led the league in this category in four different seasons (1982-1985), matching Hall of Famer Ernie Lombardi. It should be noted that the on-base prowess of Rice's teammates placed him in a double playsituation over 2,000 times during his career, almost once for everygame he played, and that Rice posted a batting average of .310 andslugging percentage of .515 in those situations, better than hisoverall career marks in those categories. In addition, the Red Sox werefar more successful as a team in the games in which Rice faced at leastone double play situation, posting a winning percentage of .572 inthose games compared to a mark of .489 in games when Rice didn't face adouble play situation."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hooky. Show hooky's posts

Rice denied Hall bid

You grow up, mlk5678. Rice doesn't belong, and I've been a Sox fan since '60.

A very good player a Hall of Fame player does not make. So now, just shut up.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yazricelynnevans78. Show yazricelynnevans78's posts

Rice denied Hall bid

I think it is a shame that Jim Rice will have to wait until old timers committee gathers in his old age to give him the due that he is well deserving to receive. The main issue with Jim Ed not getting in is due to some personal conflicts he had with older writers and many younger writers who are so tainted by seeing "juiced ball" & "steroid" numbers these last 15-20 years. One must remember that from the mid-60's to the mid-80's a player who hit over 25 homers was considered a serious power hitter. For those that do not remember 77' or 78' do not remember how Jim Ed carried the Sox and their very average pitching staff to playoff contention.

Also, all this hitting into the double play crap needs to be analyzed. If you watched the game back in the mid-70's you would remember what a solid hitting lineup the sox had. Jim Ed came up to bat many a time with multiple players on base and instead of striking out consistently (or hitting a dinger/long fly out) like so many power hitters of his era (Kingman, Schmidt or Reggie J.) he hit line drives to put the ball into play (thus is why most of his RBI competitors were way back in 78' of his 139 or whatever he drove in.) Rice hit the ball so d^&% solid many were right at the infielder and even Omar Moreno, Lou Brock, Maury Wills or even scatter brained Ricky Henderson could not beat out the throw to 1st.

I will give you this ... Gossage was a great power pitcher who you feared to see come to the mound, but just like Jim Ed he had a more serious fault than hitting a solid ball into play ... His control issues at times caused the White Sox and Yankee fans to cross their fingers and cover their eyes when he showed up to the mound at times.

Jim Ed, I feel you pain and wish the you the very best of luck next year ... but, I think you need to go on a campaign and challenge all these athletic sport reporters to a kinder, gentler game like golf (for those of you in the know Jim Ed was know in golf circles as one of the longest hitters of the golf ball back in the persimmon wood era.)

The 1978 Red Sox were possibly one of the strongest teams in baseball not to make the playoffs. It took me a long time to warm up to the wild card system just because I feel bad for the team that might have been the best in baseball that year (Dewey went down with a fluke injury late in the season that killed them.)

But I am rambling now, have a great day and lets all root for the Sox in 08'.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from legwood. Show legwood's posts

Rice denied Hall bid

Overlooking the great Jim Rice is almost as bad as ignoring the legendary Cubs' third baseman Ron Santo, who should having been an Honoured Member many years ago.

That said, I still find it hard to condemn the Baseball Hall of Fame, generally. Only the the creme de la creme are enshrined in this greatest of sports meccas. It may be that some can make the case that its standards are too high but overall, it's much better than its hockey counterpart in Toronto in which induction is accorded many people with questionable credentials.

Jim Rice could be in the Baseball Hall of Fame could well be in the Baseball Hall of Fame based solely on the damaged he inflicted on the Toronto Blue Jays!

He'll make it, which is more than will ever likely be said for baseball's hits leader (Pete Rose) home run champ (Barry Bonds) and arguably top pitcher (Roger Clemens).

Larry Wood

Bowmanville, Ontario

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhyankee1776. Show nhyankee1776's posts

Rice denied Hall bid

When Red Sox management finally retires Jim Rice's number and puts it out in right field with the other greats then maybe the sportswriters will finally acknowldege Jimmy's contributuions.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zipper. Show zipper's posts

Rice denied Hall bid

after meeting him in person recently, I am glad! Ask anyone who sees him day to day around the golf courses and charity tourneys and they will tell you he is just an a.ss!!

So what does a personality conflict that you have with him have to do with his ability to hit home runs, hit for average and drive in runs.Ted WIlliams should have been kept out of the "Hall" if that was the criteria. Same with Bill Russell of the Celtics, Jim Brown of the Cleveland Browns, Bob Gibson of the St Louis Cardinals baseball team, and the list is endless. Rice should be in for his stats, not kept out for his public relations ability or lack of.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jc99. Show jc99's posts

Rice denied Hall bid

Jim Ed Rice should in the HOF. How can a guy who dominated his era in every stat be left out.

It is a shame that it has come down to a popularity vote and not a performance vote. The writers who leave him off sould be embarrassed. The ones who do vote yes should knock some sense into them.

The process is a joke.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zipper. Show zipper's posts

Rice denied Hall bid

Rice accomplished this in two-year's LESS time than williams, and won an MVP. Williams never did.

Awards
    1941-ML-Major League Player of the Year
    1942-ML-Major League Player of the Year
    1942-AL-Triple Crown
    1946-AL-MVP
    1947-ML-Major League Player of the Year
    1947-AL-Triple Crown
    1949-ML-Major League Player of the Year
    1949-AL-MVP
    1957-ML-Major League Player of the Year

The above is from BASEBALL REFERENCE.COM. You will note that Ted won two (2) MVP AWARDS-1946 AND 1949

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tangotwo. Show tangotwo's posts

Rice denied Hall bid

Of Course Rice deserves to be in the HOF. Who are these writers, can you list the and how they voted? In my opinion and I seldom hear this argument: Would you trade Jim Rice straight up for Goose Gossage in there primes? Sutter? Henderson? All good players but in Rice's day who would you have actually traded him for...even up? let's see that long list!

Sections
Shortcuts