1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tboy. Show tboy's posts

RULES QUESTION...PLEASE

If a touchdown is scored with no time remaining in the 4th quarter, does the team that scores HAVE TO ATTEMPT THE PAT....can they just go in the locker room and say we don't want to attempt it or are they compelled by league rules to stay on the field and attempt the poit or points? I can't get a straight answer...please help

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tboy. Show tboy's posts

RULES QUESTION...PLEASE

C

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

RULES QUESTION...PLEASE

I was wondering the same thing. I know that in overtime, they don't. Remember Troy Brown's long reception TD against Miami? There was no PAT after that touchdown. The regulation time rules could be different, though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from txHeat. Show txHeat's posts

RULES QUESTION...PLEASE

If there is no time on the clock in regulation then the game is over, so no PAT. In overtime, the game ends as soon as someone scores.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from steelerjim58. Show steelerjim58's posts

RULES QUESTION...PLEASE

Runitup bellycheck passing up a chance to pad the score. Come on.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tboy. Show tboy's posts

RULES QUESTION...PLEASE

but do you have to?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from txHeat. Show txHeat's posts

RULES QUESTION...PLEASE

[Quote]txheat,
    unless the rules have changed, a team has the right to attempt the PAT even if there is no time left on the clock. Atleast that is the way it was in my high school days 40 years ago when we wore leather helments.[/Quote]

Yes, I did a Roger Clemens and misspoke. Of course if the TD results in a tie the PAT would be attempted.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tboy. Show tboy's posts

RULES QUESTION...PLEASE

but do you have to?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ufcchamp. Show ufcchamp's posts

RULES QUESTION...PLEASE

If the TD ends the game then I don't think the PAT happens...

The team scoring first during overtime play shall be the winner and the game automatically ends upon any score (by safety, field goal, or touchdown)

I think it's the same at end of regulation...I don't recall teams clearing the field to kick an extra point as a tack-on w/no time on the clock.....but I'm not 100% sure.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

RULES QUESTION...PLEASE

Folks if a TD is scored and no time left yes you do the PAT.
    First score in OT game is OVER

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p8riotfan. Show p8riotfan's posts

RULES QUESTION...PLEASE

From what I know, in regulation by league rules, the team scoring must attempt the PAT. In overtime, once a team has scored any points, the game is over.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from p8riotfan. Show p8riotfan's posts

RULES QUESTION...PLEASE

From what I know, in regulation by league rules, the team scoring must attempt the PAT. In overtime, once a team has scored any points, the game is over.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tboy. Show tboy's posts

RULES QUESTION...PLEASE

still no answer......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

RULES QUESTION...PLEASE

Maybe this is the answer... a PAT is attempted and NO TIME is run off the clock, otherwise, in order for a PAT to be attempted, there has to be time on the clock. So, one would think the PAT is part and parcel the end result of scoring a TD. There is no choice and the team chooses the 1 or 2 pointer based on either the need to tie, go ahead or, if it is the VERY last play of the game, to WIN.

Think of it this way.. There is ONE second left on the clock, your team is trailing by 6 points. Have you ever heard an announcer say the team needs a TD to tie and send the game into OT? No, they say a TD here with a PAT will win the game for the team. Time does not have to be on the clock for the PAT. The same is said when trailing by 7 with 1 second to go. Makes sense?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tboy. Show tboy's posts

RULES QUESTION...PLEASE

but can the team which scores, walk off the field without attempting the pat? the pat would not effect the game outcome...no punitive penalty at all from the league?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

RULES QUESTION...PLEASE

no, they don't kick the pat. if you have any doubts about it then play madden, same thing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

RULES QUESTION...PLEASE

Dang!!! I forgot the Madden game rule... that's where unnecessary PAT's are scored! LOL (-;

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

RULES QUESTION...PLEASE

[Quote]Maybe this is the answer... a PAT is attempted and NO TIME is run off the clock, otherwise, in order for a PAT to be attempted, there has to be time on the clock. So, one would think the PAT is part and parcel the end result of scoring a TD. There is no choice and the team chooses the 1 or 2 pointer based on either the need to tie, go ahead or, if it is the VERY last play of the game, to WIN.

Think of it this way.. There is ONE second left on the clock, your team is trailing by 6 points. Have you ever heard an announcer say the team needs a TD to tie and send the game into OT? No, they say a TD here with a PAT will win the game for the team. Time does not have to be on the clock for the PAT. The same is said when trailing by 7 with 1 second to go. Makes sense?[/Quote]

The extra point attempt is required during regulation whenever a touchdown is scored. This is due to some tie-breaking procedures based on total points scored. The offense cannot refuse to make the attempt. I am not sure what the foul is if they do try this though. If a TD is scored in OT, then no try is attempted and the TD ends the game.

In the Pittsburgh game, when the refs initially ruled the play a TD, they did have the Steelers line up for the extra point even with no time on the clock. Then they huddled and declared(incorrectly) the play dead due to the illegal forward pass and the TD did not count.

There was a game under Tags where the Broncos left the field with under a minute left. He called the locker room and had them get back on the field and take a knee even though it wasn't relevant. I don't remember the details, but I am pretty sure it was Tags and the Broncs. Anyway, I would expect that if a team did not line up for the PAT and just left the field, a similar thing would happen. If the team refused to go on the field then I would expect pretty dire consequences from the league offices including team and individual fines and potentially a forfeit if the league deemed the action to be against the best interest and integrity of the game. This is just supposition, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

RULES QUESTION...PLEASE

I've seen a PAT made with no defense on the field. But that doesn't really answer the question.

Sections
Shortcuts