1. You have chosen to ignore posts from paint0136. Show paint0136's posts

Santana-Jacoby: closed.

I agree you can't give away Elsberry he is exciting and you see him every day whereas you see Santana every 5 or 6 days. The fans need to see the sox as a speed team not the old farts that hit a homer once in a while. We went through the power teams and won nothing. We see Chrisp, Elsberry and Lugo fun stuff. We got lucky once with Beccket and Lowell for Manley etc. It won't happen again. Santana's numbers are great but are going south as age sets in. Look at Pedro on the IR for most of last season. The Mets took a shot but it backfired so don't make the mistake of assuming that Santana is Christ comming. Screw Minnisota and go after Oakland's ace for much less. Don't deal Jacoby. He is too exciting and other than Williams, Clemmons and Nomar there hasn't been anyone as exciting as the Navaho Flash.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from headofted. Show headofted's posts

so you consider a guy that has one month of MLB experience more exciting than Manny, more exciting than Ortiz, more exciting than Schilling, more exciting than Paps...........really...........these guys did something in boston that hadn't been done for almost 100 years...........his one month is more exciting than these guys............wow,

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from paint0136. Show paint0136's posts

Nobody said that David and Manny arn't exciting but without Coco and Lugo speed, you win nothing. That is to say that the pitching is needed. Tavarez won many key games and he is no Beckett. We already have the pitching . Add Heron or Bedard and that would be a plus but give up Jacoby flash and we loose an element that produces results. The Evil Empire won many a pennant with the likes of Mickey Rivers to mention one Yankee leadoff hitter with the pizzaz of Jacoby. Say what you will but speed and pitching win you pennants. I say we already have great pitching.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from headofted. Show headofted's posts

my point was, how can you consider a guy that has one month of MLB experience to be more excting than Ortiz or Manny........just doesn't make sense to me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bootis4745. Show bootis4745's posts

I agree!

I like our current mixture of youth and veterans. We won 2 World Titles without him so we can and should do it again with or without him.

No doubt I would love to have him, but at what cost. That's is the real question for me.

Where in Carolina. I am in Charleston.

Thanks!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from paint0136. Show paint0136's posts

What the hell are you talking about 900 runs, power , no pitching. Yankees 2007 just to mention one. They won when they had Henderson and Rivers ( speed ). The Mets support your broken ill thought out theory.
    Check history and you might understand baseball a little better. By the way it's not stupid to have a verifiable position. You must be from New York with the handle you carry.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southy12. Show southy12's posts

If Theo gets rid of Ellsbury, the Red Sox aren't going anywhere in 2008. He is the type of leadoff man we need. Theo has a good head on his shoulders and will continue to make us proud to be Red Sox fans.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carolina-soxfan. Show carolina-soxfan's posts

Western NC, Murphy to be exact. About 5 1/2 hours away from you. I've been to Charleston several times. My wife's cousin lives in Mt. Pleasant I believe. It's a nice place where you live. Anyway, we will have to wait and see what happens. Regardless, we have a really competitive team next year and probably beyond. I heard we may be in the running for Bedard of the Orioles. It would surprise me though if he was traded within the division. Take care, I may run into you again on here.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from elcafe483. Show elcafe483's posts

The goal is NOT to prevent the Yankees from building a team. In fact, even though we may all hate the Yankees, the greatest rivalry of all time ENDS if the Yankees don't field a great team. Besides, what have all the high paid players done for the Yankees lately?

The Red Sox should be focused on building the best possible team, which is hardly served

1. by making a decision related to another team's goals,
    2. by trading 5 players who can play 150-160 games each for one who will only be a factor in 35 at most,
    3. by thinking that individual superstars make a great team [note the failure of the Yankees]
    4. by contaminating a reasonbly well-balanced team of resonably well paid players with a 250 mil player. [Don't believe it when anyone says it doesn't matter.]
    5. Besides, who were the factors in the recent Red Sox Pennant and World Series victories? Dave Roberts, Bill Miller, Kevin Yukilis, Orlando Cabrera, Jonny Damon, Mark Bellhorn, Jacobi Ellsbury, Mike Lowell, Justin Pedroia, and others who are not so overpaid and for sure, higher prices players like Jason Veritek, Big Papi, Josh Becket, Curt Shilling, Dice K, and more,... and of course, Manny, who is the only unreasonably paid player on the Sox. Don't get me wrong. I love Manny. But, if the Sox lost Manny and still played by Theo's stats, of course with a more agressive style turning walks into doubles {LA Angels] and scoring from 2nd on a wild pitch [Ellsbury],........ who needs the headaches of the superstars. Besides, I would not want to see the Boston Red sox turn into the NY Yankees.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bullseye. Show bullseye's posts

I think that we should keep our prospects and forget about Santana. Clemens cost the Yankees 3 mil per win and Pettitt cost them 1 mil per win. If you pay Santana 25 mil per season he would have to win 25 games per year just to keep it in Pettitt's neighborhood. I think it's way too much money and I don't believe 150 mil should be paid to a pitcher.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from goznes. Show goznes's posts

Becket, Schilling, DK, Lester and Buch make a good rotation this year, but Schill will have to be replaced next year. There is a need for another starter and a good middle reliever.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from headofted. Show headofted's posts

I think that we should keep our prospects and forget about Santana. Clemens cost the Yankees 3 mil per win and Pettitt cost them 1 mil per win. If you pay Santana 25 mil per season he would have to win 25 games per year just to keep it in Pettitt's neighborhood. I think it's way too much money and I don't believe 150 mil should be paid to a pitcher.

Bullseye, not sure I get your post, how much should a team pay for each win from a pitcher. dice-K cost over a million per win, does that mean he was a bust.........how about Schilling, he was over a million per win...............the best pitcher the sox have is Wakefield, right?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hooky. Show hooky's posts

Maddog's right. No Ellsbury, it's a deal.

Let's make the Yankees squirm.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hooky. Show hooky's posts

Melky? Who the hell's Melky.

At best, he's an average player. If the Yankees had offered Cano instead, they would have had Santana

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

Manny is also near the top every year in assists, but no one is going to mistake him for a great fielder.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wvwc61. Show wvwc61's posts

I don't think Ellsbury will be a Fred Lynn player. He doesn't have the power that Lynn had. Ellsbury may be more like a Damon who was excellent but not great.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

I didn't deny it, but, again, it doesn't make him a great fielder either.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

Like Hooky said, he's average.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from emcd3. Show emcd3's posts

Looks like the REds may blow us away for Bedard:

http://mlbfleecefactor.com/2007/12/10/reds-confident-theyll-land-bedard/

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack. Show fenwayjack's posts

So big deal. Crisp flies around out there like a bat. Snags drives that Melky would be turning the wrong way on. The point is however, no matter what their strengths are in the outfield, they're both mediocre hitters, very little power, not an impressive batting average either. Which is why NY was quick to offer Melky in a trade despite having no intention to playing Damon fulltime in center. Minn. is not impressed with either, nor are they insane over Ellsbury who still has to prove he belongs in the bigs and that's not gonna happen until he has a full season under his belt.

And to even put Melky in the same sentence with Manny is a joke. Manny is one of the greatest hitters and most dangerous sluggers the game has ever seen. And wow are we gonna miss him when he hangs up his spikes. Incidently what exactly did Manny do at the Jake, or in Anahein, or in Colorado that hurt the team's chances. He is certainly not the swiftest outfielder but he has incredibly accurate arm and 99% of the time gets a great read on the ball.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from boblat. Show boblat's posts

Lester and Coco plus I like very much.

Sending Ellersby scares the heck out of me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjgbpd. Show jjgbpd's posts

Thanks for the Olney update... where are you finding this info? I have not heard anything new on the Santana talks with Sox in a week!! I would HATE to lose Ellsbury, just went to one of his friggin' autograph sessions and got a nice pic and met him. How can you say no to Johan though. If we do deal him, I hope we look into a different option over Crisp or Lugo. I just think the lower third of the lineup being Tek/Crisp/Lugo kills us. Thanks!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from boissroy. Show boissroy's posts

I agree with you. Nathan or Mauer would fit in nicely. Ellsbury would be missed but one must give up something to get something of value. If things fall into place I would give Josh Beckett a few million dollars tacked on to his contract and while we are at it add one more year to his deal. The Sox have the monies and means. Also, if Ellsbury is gone looks like Coco Crisp is in center. The Sox would still need a bat off the bench and another arm in the pen. It well could be Nathan. If Santana wants monies in the 20 million a year he beter perform near the 20 win a year area or the Sox fan base will be relentless to say the least. Time will tell as the circus of the past few weeks netted nothing but rumors that were uping the anti for a half decent ballplayers.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

To the guy who said the other person in the trade needs to be Maur or Morneau...... ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Are you one of those oblivious fans who thinks that every player you have is valuable and the other team just takes it?

I think we should just take a two for two deal.....hmmm lets trade Julio Lugo and JD Drew for Johan Santana and Joe Maur.......actually lets sweeten the pot for the Twins and throw in Eric Hinske for Joe Nathan....the Twins would have to go for that wouldn't they? LOL get a grip people...

To the guy who compared Ellsbury to the greats of the game?? He has played less than 100 MLB games.....settle down... I like Ellsbury alot, but Johan Santana?

Pitching wins championships...name the last offensive team with even average pitching that won a WS?

Think about it the White Sox of a few years ago had dominant SP in the WS...the 04 Red Sox had great playoff SP .....I can go on and on.. Sure you need balance, but the Sox have enough offense to win it again, but to add an arm like Santana....thats insane.

Well if this trade doesnt go through....we can always go to the Cardinals and trade Hinske for Pujols straight up.....I mean...Hinske had that one really great catch, so the Cardinals HAVE to make that trade, dont they?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

"I'm wondering how many rings Santana has won"

I'm wondering when there was a starting pitcher that pitched in every game for his team, and hit fourth in the lineup as well...the answer??? NEVER

that is the dumbest counter point in the history of sports

thats like saying Marino was only an average quarterback because he never won a ring

yeah Nolan Ryan sucked too since he was on so many sub .500 teams......

Charles Barkley sucked.....no rings

I think I made my point, if I didnt, then there is no help for you anyways.

Sections
Shortcuts