1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeydmac. Show joeydmac's posts

Santana-Sox-Yanks: (closed 4:14pm)

I say go ahead and bid the price up for the Yankees, then run away from this deal. It isn't the trades that make this deal too rich, it's the money and the contract he'll require. It doesn't matter if the RS have the cash to spend, he's just not worth anything near 6 years / $150MM. How's Barry Zito working out for SF?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tim-sox-fan. Show tim-sox-fan's posts

So I heard on WEEI on the drive into work that Fox Sports Net (and ESPN confirmed) that the Sox and Twins had agreed in principle to a trade of Santana for a core of Lester, Coco, Lowrie and the 4th either Bowden or Masterson (TBD). They said that contract talks had not yet started with Santana's agent, but were expected soon.

....But I haven't seen ANYTHING about this on any of the websites... is it true?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Haren greatly benefits form pitching in Oakland a huge pitchers park. It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense as I doubt that Haren would be much of an upgrade, and might actually be worse than Lester/Bucholz. Lester has done it on the big stage, and Bucholz pitched a nono 2 things Haren has never done. If you are going to trade multiple A level prospects you have to get a Marquee player in return and I agree with you completely, Santana has already proven he is as good as vintage Petey only form the left side. I have never seen a Sox lefty of this calliber ever. I say if Ellsbury is the difference maker you begrudingly include him. It would be great if they did not have to include him but I'm afraid you probably need to. Would anyone take Hanley Ramirez back for Beckett and Lowell at this point? I seriously doubt it despite Ramirez being a potential MVP candidate and a perrennial All Star. This trade may prove to be similar, a rare trade that is great for both sides.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from atteckus. Show atteckus's posts

Hall of fame pitcher or not (I think that's arguable) the fact remains that we do not NEED him; we may WANT him. Wanting means that the price we are willing to pay is not commensurate with buying a needed HOF'er. In my opinion, we have offered too much here. I would tell Minn. that its Coco, Lester and Lowrie, and take it or leave it. Given that we will need prospects in the future to fill holes created by age, injury, free agency, etc., whether by promotion or trade, I would hold onto all of our other young prospects.

In my opinion, it would not be a bad thing if this deal falls through for us. We are liable to get alot for Coco anyway, from several teams in bad need of a strong defensive center fielder and relatively deep farm systems, e.g., Atlanta. This is not to mention the potential discord Santana's contract could create on a team with excellent chemistry.

If the Sox are reading these blogs, I hope they'll think of the Meineke commercial - "I'm not gonna pay too much for this muffler."

Best regards.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomwehner. Show tomwehner's posts

I'll believe it when I see it, plain and simple.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from northeastern1. Show northeastern1's posts

I dont think the Yankees have the power to do anything to the Red Sox right now, the Yankees need Santana way more than the Sox. The Yankees lost Clemens and will potential be without Pettite not to mention Musina is in decline.

I think Theo is just testing the waters and seeing what is out there I dont think he will give up either bucholz or ellsbury. Why give up your best prospects when they are locked up for a few years for very cheap while Santana would be very expensive. If the sox get Santana the Sox will be unstoppable with the Beckett Santana 1 2. but if they dont they will still be in great shape, they still have one of the best Ace's in the league, Dice K will probably be better this next year and improve on his 15 win season. The Sox are still the WS champs and have kept all their big pieces so I would say they are in the best position to deal. The tables have turned the sox are now dominant over the Yankees and NY has to react to Boston not the other way around.

Lets not panic over these trades Theo obviously knows what he is doing and he will have two rings to prove it. When the Santana sweapstakes are over regardless if he is in a sox uniform or not I still like the sox chances overall.

I would be more worried about the Angels if they get Santana. with a healthy team, Tori Hunter, and Santana in the mix I dont think they would get swept again in the playoffs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimbeau1. Show jimbeau1's posts

just saying there are others out there but I must be an idiot and you must be in the industry since you say we NEED ellsbury and bucholtz; that's not an opinion, that's a fact?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

I agree if we don't get Santana standing pat is the best policy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

Are you equally offended by the Yankees or are you a Tigers fan?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

The Yankees have been doing it for years and we're just following in their footsteps.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

I would rather see them get Bedard for the package. A lefty is a better matchup against the Yankees.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimbeau1. Show jimbeau1's posts

. . . at leas then we'd get to see them 18-19 times a year . . .

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmt06070. Show bmt06070's posts

If Haren (DH) & Santana (JS) perform the same as they have over the past three years, it's reasonable to expect Haren to give up .5-.75 more runs per game, which, over 30-33 starts, comes out to 15-25 runs, which translate to approximately 2-3 extra wins. So, assuming Beane would take Lester, Crisp, & Lowrie (maybe a bad assumption), we still think it's a better deal to give up an extra prospect and spend $15-20 million more per season? To gain 2 or 3 wins?

Further, there's a good chance that DH might be approximately as good as JS, now or in the near future. In some ways he had a better year last year (ERA, HRA), he's younger, and JS had several games last year when he sat at 90-91 mph instead of his usual 93-94 mph, not an encouraging sign. Also, Haren would likely be an equal or better Red Sox pitcher: JS has more extreme fly ball tendencies than DH (how many LH fly-ball pitchers succeed in Fenway?), and a poor, albeit small, performance record in Boston.

The money DOES matter; it is a finite resource, and the only extra cash coming off the books in the next 3 years is Wake & Schilling's $12-18 million. Tek will have to be re-signed at the same money or replaced by a similarly priced player, as will Manny, and Pap & Youk are going to get more expensive over the next 2 years. Santana's great and I'd love to see him pitch for us, but Haren is very good, too, a lot cheaper, and makes us better than what we were last year--the consensus best team in all of baseball.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bearhead56. Show Bearhead56's posts

I don't suppose that they would consider taking Lugo and we would start Masterson next years @ short? Even including Lowell @ $13mil, this would constitute the cheapest infield in the Majors.

damn, now that would be a trade.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

About as well as Giambi and Damon for you.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from eljefe. Show eljefe's posts

I think its interesting, no matter which team gets Santana, their fans will call it a ôwinö because they got the ôbest pitcher on the planetö and did not give up too much (no matter what that is and even if none of us know how good certain guys will or wonÆt be). The other teamÆs fans will claim that kept all their young guns and have a better future (nostradamus) and the Santana winners got fleeced. One last note, why do any fans (Yanks or Sox) bring up how much the guy gets paid? They say the ARod deal could max out at $314 million for chrissake so who cares? None of us have to directly foot the bill - that is the least of the FO and OwnerÆs concerns on either side

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

I know Joba was ranked 6 and Buckholz 7 and Ellsbury 13. I didn't think Hughes was ranked and neither was Lester. Kennedy I believe was 27. Please correct me if I am wrong.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from eljefe. Show eljefe's posts

Way - I just think we will all make it OK if he comes or if he goes elsewhere. As fans we can rationalize just about anything. That said, without knowing the future, I think its impossible to tell what is a good deal and what is not. The guy could lose his left arm in a chainsaw accident (knock wood) and sending anyone to Minny for him looks like a bad play. I just think we all spend alot of time posturing about things we have no idea about, that's all.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from miatadriver. Show miatadriver's posts

I don't like giving up good prospects. This goes back all the way to Jeff Bagwell and through Freddie Sanchez who was given away for nothing. Santanna's salary demands will be over the top. How foolish will Beckett look for giving the home town discount? He would be right to be highly pissed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

How stupid do you think Theo is? Do you think he hasn't talked with Beckett or Papi about the situation. Papi may be needed to encourage Santana to come.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from miatadriver. Show miatadriver's posts

Stupid enough to put on a gorilla suit

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

but smart enough to come back and win another world series.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from miatadriver. Show miatadriver's posts

and give JD Drew a five year deal at 60 mil. Not to mention Lugo. A home grown SS prospect looks good to me

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

We have some in the lower minor's other than Lowrie who should be ready when Lugo's contract is up.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from miatadriver. Show miatadriver's posts

Cant blame Theo for the Bagwell deal. He has made some great moves ( Nomar, Letting Damon walk, etc.) I just believe that the way to go is through the farm with a fair mix of veterans. I hate to see the Sox turn into the Yankees and chase high dollar free agents or trades. Santanna will be a 20 million a year contract. Just don't think its worth it. Smart move in getting Lowell to stay. Gotta love that guy.

Sections
Shortcuts