1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

Schilling HoF Chances

Now that it looks like Curt's career is likely over, what is everyone's take on his chances of making the Hall?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsportaction. Show redsportaction's posts

Schilling HoF Chances

Very good, given what he did in 2004 for a historical club like the Red Sox and the fact he has put up some solid numbers. A power pitcher with a couple of W.S rings; Curt's going to get in to the the hall of fame.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from txHeat. Show txHeat's posts

Schilling HoF Chances

He's in.  He's got longevity, success and championships.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

Schilling HoF Chances

[Quote]Guaranteed. Has a pretty good regular season career and the fact that he is most likely the greatest post season pitcher of all time gets him in.[/Quote]

Not even close to guaranteed.  216 wins just isn't going to cut it.  Maybe his postseason stats put him in, but I doubt it.  When players like Luis Tiant aren't in, I find a hard time seeing Curt get elected.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RochNYSoxFan2. Show RochNYSoxFan2's posts

Schilling HoF Chances

Schilling is a tricky one in that his regular season numbers are very good, but as pointed out, not stellar.  The one guy that I can't believe is not in the hall is Blyleven, but even though Blyleven won 2 WS, you don't remember him being dominant, although he is like 5th all time in Ks and won 287 games.  In that respect, how could Schilling go in.  But, Schilling was one of the best power pitchers from 1993 to 2004 and maybe one of the top 5 post season starters of all time.  And, don't forget, he was a beat writer's dream as you could get a quote from him about the local alderman race, let alone everything about baseball.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from esruc04. Show esruc04's posts

Schilling HoF Chances

Aside from death and taxes nothing is guaranteed but I would be shocked if Schilling didn't get in. There is more than just wins on his resume. He has strikeouts, he has post season wins and era, 3 WS titles, a WS MVP, 6 All Star teams, he went to the WS with 3 different teams and like him or not he does have the character to get in and he has done a boat load of work for charity. Probably not a first ballot but I bet he gets in.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan76. Show bostonfan76's posts

Schilling HoF Chances

I see him making the Hall based on his WS play of course but also on his excellent commentary on everything from Boston fans to Kobe Bryant and Pout Gasshole. He may be injured but he can still blog. See you in cyberspace Schill!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from theceez. Show theceez's posts

Schilling HoF Chances

He was not the elite pitcher of his generation. Johnson/Maddux/Pedro were the studs. If you look at post season more then regular season then maybe. But what hat does he wear? Phillies?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from headofted. Show headofted's posts

Schilling HoF Chances

[Quote]Not even close to guaranteed.  216 wins just isn't going to cut it.  Maybe his postseason stats put him in, but I doubt it.  When players like Luis Tiant aren't in, I find a hard time seeing Curt get elected.[/Quote]

and just food for thought, Schilling has 216 wins and 3116 strikeouts with a lifetime era of 3.46 while Mussina has 260 wins, 2744 strikeouts and a lifetime era of 3.60...........Mussina will probably pitch another 3 and a half years so figure a modest average of 11 wins per year and he will can win 300 games and come very close to Schilling in strikeouts..........I am not offering an opinion, just putting the facts out for everyone to see.  I haven't seen a player yet that made the HOF because of his accomplishments in the post season...........remember, Bernie Williams is the all time HR leader in the post season........I don't think he is going to the HOF

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

Schilling HoF Chances

50/50 at best. If he makes it it will be in years 8-15 of eligibility.

Take emotion out and he didn't have a "great" career. He averaged @10 wins a year (12 if you take out the first couple of years with 4-5 starts). This is a list of pitchers with similar numbers...

1. Kevin Brown (920)
    2. Bob Welch (900)
    3. Orel Hershiser (889)
    4. Mike Mussina (888)
    5. Freddie Fitzsimmons (884)
    6. John Smoltz (880)
    7. Milt Pappas (880)
    8. Don Drysdale (875) *
    9. Dazzy Vance (873) *
    10. Jim Perry (871)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from elbyw. Show elbyw's posts

Schilling HoF Chances

red sox hof? absolutely. maybe even retire his number. ml baseball hof? no way, not even close. the numbers don't warrant it, and i think at the end of the day, drama aside, that's what matters most.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thaddeus50. Show Thaddeus50's posts

Schilling HoF Chances

Is there a  talking hall of fame?  If so, he's a  lock.  Baseball H of F?  Even Schilling knows that's not going to happen.  I heard him acknowledge that two years ago  in a radio interview.  His numbers  aren't close to  H of  F status.   If World Series drama was enough, Jack Morris would be in the H of F. 

Still,  Schilling had a great career, and helped pitch two teams to World Series championships.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thaddeus50. Show Thaddeus50's posts

Schilling HoF Chances

[Quote]Aside from death and taxes nothing is guaranteed but I would be shocked if Schilling didn't get in. There is more than just wins on his resume. He has strikeouts, he has post season wins and era, 3 WS titles, a WS MVP, 6 All Star teams, he went to the WS with 3 different teams and like him or not he does have the character to get in and he has done a boat load of work for charity. Probably not a first ballot but I bet he gets in.[/Quote]

ACtually, the stats you just supplied aren't good enough for the Hall of Fame.  His ERA is not that good.  WS titles won't do it (or Bernie Williams woulod be H of F material).  He doesn't have NEARLY enough wins.  And character is a rule OUT not a rule in.  Even Schilling has acknowledged that he is not H of F worthy--for which I give him credit.  He has almost no chance of being elected.

If you want to see a one-time Sox pitcher headed for the Hall of Fame, watch the Mets this season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pajamaslavedancer. Show pajamaslavedancer's posts

Schilling HoF Chances

Schelling:  No chance
    Moose:  No chance
    Icharo:  First ballot

That's not a typo. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from headofted. Show headofted's posts

Schilling HoF Chances

[Quote]Schelling:  No chance

That's not a typo. [/Quote]

I would agree with that

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 00chief00. Show 00chief00's posts

Schilling HoF Chances

If it was based on heart, he'd be the top vote getter. As far as numbers go , I would say yes, but Im a fan saying that. Writers, who are the voters, are a fickle bunch. If schill pissed any of them off, he most likely won't get thier vote, I mean cmon Jim rice should be in by now, so what chance does the schiila from manilla have?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Schilling HoF Chances

Actually, 2 out of the 3 names are typos.  Go back to school.

Schill is a tough call. His regular season cumulative numbers don't warrant the Hall, but he did have a run where he was among the handful of dominant pitchers in MLB, along with RJ and Pedro.  His post-season numbers though, are simply legendary... Morris is just not a good comp. He didn't do the things he did just once... he did them a lot, with 3 different teams.
    I would vote him in simply for his extraordinary Post seasons, as well as his role in ending the Curse, which is what he was traded for and embraced. I wouldn't be shocked if he did not get in, however. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from peskypole. Show peskypole's posts

Schilling HoF Chances

[Quote]and just food for thought, Schilling has 216 wins and 3116 strikeouts with a lifetime era of 3.46 while Mussina has 260 wins, 2744 strikeouts and a lifetime era of 3.60...........Mussina will probably pitch another 3 and a half years so figure a modest average of 11 wins per year and he will can win 300 games and come very close to Schilling in strikeouts..........I am not offering an opinion, just putting the facts out for everyone to see.  I haven't seen a player yet that made the HOF because of his accomplishments in the post season...........remember, Bernie Williams is the all time HR leader in the post season........I don't think he is going to the HOF[/Quote]

Rizzuto.  Take away the championships and what do you have?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pajamaslavedancer. Show pajamaslavedancer's posts

Schilling HoF Chances

You say tomato, I say tomato.

The shelled one had one good season with Boston, 2 with AZ at the tail end of a journeman career.  While his WHIP is startling its more a result of an NL biased career and being a straight-throwing, please-don't-hit-it-too-hard fly ball pitcher.

He never won a Cy Young and only got votes in 4 seasons.  That's way short of HOF requisites.  He has had the good fortune to be a #2 on a couple of good (and lucky, don't forget the '04 ALCS) teams with strong post season runs in the expanded playoff format era.

I'll always be happy for him that he gets to feel responsible for 2004 and was along for the ride 3 years later as a bit player.  But his case for the HOF or even Red Sox adoration is a few six packs short.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Syxxpac78. Show Syxxpac78's posts

Schilling HoF Chances

I'd say he has a good chance of getting in.....not on the first ballot by any means, but eventually. 216 wins and the amaount of K's he has is pretty good, but I think his postseason record speaks for itself. You could aregue the case someone like Dave Stewert was just as money in big games, but I thinks Schillings media presence puts him over the top

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pancakeclub68. Show pancakeclub68's posts

Schilling HoF Chances

I don't see him going in as a philly.  He did have a few good years there, and a few really good years, but never won a WS (though they came close in 93... can anyone else believe that the Blue Jays won 2 world series in a row?) But let's face it, his glory years were with the Diamondbacks, and he became a legend with the Bloody Sock.  The Red Sox and Diamondbacks years were the only years he won more than 20 games in a season.  I'd bet on him wearing a red sox hat.

[Quote]He was no the elite pitcher of his generation. Johnson/Maddux/Pedro were the studs. If you look at post season more then regular season then maybe. But what hat does he wear? Phillies?[/Quote]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pancakeclub68. Show pancakeclub68's posts

Schilling HoF Chances

I don't see him going in as a philly.  He did have a few good years there, and a few really good years, but never won a WS (though they came close in 93... can anyone else believe that the Blue Jays won 2 world series in a row?) But let's face it, his glory years were with the Diamondbacks, and he became a legend with the Bloody Sock.  The Red Sox and Diamondbacks years were the only years he won more than 20 games in a season.  I'd bet on him wearing a red sox hat.

[Quote]He was no the elite pitcher of his generation. Johnson/Maddux/Pedro were the studs. If you look at post season more then regular season then maybe. But what hat does he wear? Phillies?[/Quote]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from geebs70. Show geebs70's posts

Schilling HoF Chances

i'd have to go with probably not.  he has always been above average, and at times dominant, esp. post season.  but, i think he's more of an old-timer vote possibility and definitely not first time ballot material.  randy johnson is HOF material - he dominated consistently over his career over the same epoch.  schilling's a "very good" pitcher but not "one of the best of all time."  i think the blyleven analogy's a good one.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from peskypole. Show peskypole's posts

Schilling HoF Chances

[Quote]You say tomato, I say tomato.

The shelled one had one good season with Boston, 2 with AZ at the tail end of a journeman career.  While his WHIP is startling its more a result of an NL biased career and being a straight-throwing, please-don't-hit-it-too-hard fly ball pitcher.

He never won a Cy Young and only got votes in 4 seasons.  That's way short of HOF requisites.  He has had the good fortune to be a #2 on a couple of good (and lucky, don't forget the '04 ALCS) teams with strong post season runs in the expanded playoff format era.

I'll always be happy for him that he gets to feel responsible for 2004 and was along for the ride 3 years later as a bit player.  But his case for the HOF or even Red Sox adoration is a few six packs short.[/Quote]

You had a good argument going before you used the word "lucky" and 2004 ALCS in the same breath.  Pretty much a disqualification.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bwhallett. Show bwhallett's posts

Schilling HoF Chances

It is a typo!  Ichiro is spelled Ichiro, non Icharo.  And yes, I agree.

Sections
Shortcuts