1. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Schilling's shoulder discussion

Travis Hughes signed with Yokohama this winter...

There are other guys, though.� Tavarez isn't awful -- he just doesn't have the stamina to keep it up for more than a dozen starts.� If Wakefield can last through May, give Tavarez the starts in June and July, we can hope that Bowden or Masterson will be ready by August.� Hansack is your classic Organizational Cannon Fodder guy, competent enough for a few spot starts.

I would definitely look to pick up additional depth, but likely guys we've never heard of before.� Veterans like Colon and Weaver aren't likely to be any better, just bigger names.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

If my post wasn't directed at you, then you needn't worry about understanding it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnwill. Show johnwill's posts

you would certainly be familiar with idiots, since you are a red sox fan..............

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnwill. Show johnwill's posts

little grumpy today are'nt you............

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

thirtysomething:If you heard the interview this morning on WEEI this AM with Dr. Morgan, though your are dead on regarding the dispute being on the course of treatment, the dispute isn't blown out of proportion.� The Red Sox position actually defies logic.....(you have to listen to his words) .....I'm paraphrasing....but he implied.....when asked point blank as why the Sox would opt for�a course of treatment (rehab) that he (Morgan) believes offers "0" chance of him ever pitching again.....he replied, and very diplomatically I might add, that this is what can occur when you are combining�decisions made by administrative folks using medical information.�� Go to the WEEI website and listen to the archive....I'd be willing to bet it�will be there.�� �It wasn't disparaging by any means.� Bottom line....rehab� = zero chance......surgery offers a better chance though no guarantee.� Regarding the rotator cuff.....no issue.� Morgan said the MRI indicated it was virtually the same as it was 10 years ago.� (He has all the records.)it unfortunate his career appears to be over.� �������� ���

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!� It wasn't my idea!I am off to the land of the old Soviet Union today (Moldova). I will chat with you all when i return. Keep the "fanboys" in there place.Has anyone heard from Walshy?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

I'm not the one whining about the moderators, Skippy.� :-)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I agree. This in no way is a good thing. It has the potential to be a real disaster, in fact. Wakefield is also old and may also break down early on. Bucholtz cannot assume a full load this year. That leaves Beckett, DiceK, and Lester as our starting pitchers, assuming Wakefield will not last all season and Clay cannot pitch�full time yet. Those three plus ???? We all saw what happens when you have to resort to starting pitchers who can be counted on to surrender 6 runs a game a few years back. I think we need to obtain another starter somewhere,�maybe a #4 type. WIthout reliable starting pitching this club is going nowhere this year.�As always, it starts with solid starting pitching.�

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnwill. Show johnwill's posts

since you are clearly not too bright I understand�why you�cannot distingush between what you do i.e whining and what I do, which is make cogent points.........

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Notin, now you're getting religion my friend.� Marquis for Crisp.� That would help both teams.� I also have this feeling about Jeff Corsaletti.� He may be ready to come up in July in case Kielty or Moss aren't doing the job for us----which I think they WILL do.� If I had to take one of the FA pitcher it would be Freddy Garcia because he absolutely owns the Angels, my wife's team.� On a very personal and selfish note I want to see our Red Sox dominate those Anaheimers.� Between my Linda, daughter, son-in-law, his parents, his three brothers, their three wives, and the five other kids in the households I am outnumbered 16-1.� However, I have had success with my 2.4 year old grandaughter because she loves to say Red Sox when I ask her a question.� I am working hard on her to lessen the odds a little.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Schwank, there are two different opinions being offered here.� Morgan says that there is ZERO chance that rehab will allow him to pitch again, and surgery offers a slim chance of making it back by the end of the year.� The Red Sox team doctor obviously has a different take on the matter.� Neither you nor I are qualified to judge.

In the face of conflicting opinions, I'll leave open the POSSIBILITY that he might make it back, but I'm definitely not expecting it.� Most likely, he struggles through rehab for a couple months, then everybody gives up and he has the surgery in May or June.� But that is a completely uneducated guess.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Pumpsie, let the Sage from Arcadia, California try and throw some cool clear water on all this.� To me, it is the travails of a team trying to repeat as World Champions.� Problems and challenges keep flying at them at warp speed and they hardly solve one before another hits them on the noggin. Schilling is going to be out for quite a while, maybe this is even it for him.� Would be even consider trying one of our young guns if they distinguish themselves in ST? Probably not since that is not our MO, so that means we need to make a trade for a pitcher.� Debate is now useless; we need another starting pitcher unless you guys are willing to close your eyes and see Taverez or Snyder get their teeets lit up like a candle.� I have already suggested a Jason Marquis for Coco Crisp trade.� Anyone have a better idea?� I'm all ears.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

What can be done to ensure Clay is ready and able to kick in with thosepostseason clutch performances? And not arm dead with overuse?

A "hard" 100 pitch limit (aiming for 85-100 pitches per start), figure an average of 5.5 innings.
    Schedule 30 regular season starts, possibly skipping the last if the Red Sox are definitely in the playoffs.This takes him to roughly 165 innings, leaving space for ~4 postseason starts without going too far past 180.� Now a regular turn in the rotation comes to 32 starts -- so either he sits out two weeks at some point (send him to the DL at the first sign of fatigue or soreness?) or you skip a couple starts as opportunity permits.

It is very tempting, however, to push these limits.� Maybe stick with that pitch count but let the IP target slide a bit as long as his shoulder remains strong?� The usual advice these days is that pitchers should be restricted until they are 25 years old, but that final year is a gray area.� Lester only just turned 24, but I suspect he could be pushed a little harder this year without too much concern (again, keeping the 100-105 pitch hard limit but not worrying about the innings too much).� Buchholz turns 24 in August -- if he weren't so willow-wand slender, I'd take my chances with him as well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

I have already suggested a Jason Marquis for Coco Crisp trade.� Anyone have a better idea?� I'm all ears.

Keep in mind, we HAVE five starters already.� You'd be crazy to bump any of those guys for Marquis.� He's expensive.� He's a veteran.� He can't be sent to the bullpen or to AAA.� Yet he's no better than either Tavarez (bullpen) or Hansack (minors).

We have a solid front five and Tavarez is one of the best #6 pitchers in the majors (realize that isn't saying much).� I'm okay with Hansack as a #7, I'd just like to pick up one more MINOR LEAGUE arm for insurance.� Adding to the crowding in the bullpen isn't smart, and we aren't going to find anybody better than Wakefield for the rotation.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Vic, while I am sure that you have the best interests of the Red Sox on your mind when you suggest that we "get younger", I do not think it is possible for the Sox�to fully take advantage�of their young arms this year. Masterson is clearly not ready; Bucholtz will not last a full season of abuse. And Wakefield will �CERTAINLY not last the full season-I did not expect that either he or Schill would last a full season. I thought that the three of them would essentially share two spots, perhaps. Now that there is only two partial starters for two full time slots, we need help-or risk, as Seabeach suggested, watching Snyder/Tavarez/Hansack getting lit up like a Christmas tree on a regular basis. To be competetive we will need some help now in the starting rotation.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from emcee414. Show emcee414's posts

He has a 1 year deal dude...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonjared. Show bostonjared's posts

According to Schillings doctor he would have the surgery and be back by the all-star break but the Sox don't want him to have surgery.� They are having him get cortizone shots and do re-hab.� BIG mistake in my book, fix the problem asap and work on re-had after.�

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Pedro Martinez first took a full turn in the rotation (30 starts, 195 IP) at the age of 23.� He was handled pretty cautiously up until that point.� So there is precedent for letting Buchholz loose on the league this year.

Sandy Koufax, on the other hand, didn't top 180 IP until the age of 25.� He didn't exactly have a long career, but he wasn't overused in his early 20s.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Is Ellsbury worth not having a 5th starter?

Could we have built a package around Ellsbury?� I was under the impression that the Twins liked Lester better.� And trading Lester for Santana doesn't increase the number of arms.

Make REAL trade. That means Ellsbury and one of the young pitchers for a decent #2 or #3 starter.

I still think we'd do better to acquire a young catcher with our trading chips.� I'm very happy with a rotation of Beckett, Matsuzaka, Buchholz, and Lester.� Wakefield is fine in the #5 spot for however many starts he lasts.� Hold open auditions after that...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Perhaps someone should call Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen to find out what they should do about Schilling :-)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lbatlle. Show lbatlle's posts

Do the surgery.� Take care of Schilling the right way, especially since we owe him so much for the world series'.� If Morgan is right then we get him for the last month and a half, which is all we really need him for.� If Morgan is wrong then we are still doing right by him.The contract dispute is dumb.� Sox should have known before signing him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jsweet67. Show jsweet67's posts

Let's move on to youth!�He did his job and we are thankful!�Leave the game�a winner! He has nothing to prove to "Red Sox Nation"

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dillard45. Show dillard45's posts

"Do the surgery. Take care of Schilling the right way, especially since we owe him so much for the world series'. If Morgan is right then we get him for the last month and a half, which is all we really need him for. If Morgan is wrong then we are still doing right by him."

You're right about this. Do the damn surgery and get it over with. And BTW it looks like, from Edes reporting, that the Sox really dropped the ball on this one. It looks like they didn't do their homework with the physical and now they are trying to squeeze out anything they can get from Schilling by resisting surgery.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

I have to believe that Curt Schilling knows the score, and if not, maybe his wife �r some friend can clue him in. He needs to have that surgery. Rest isn't going to cure it because from all I've read there is some real structural damage in his shoulder and all the sec�nd and third opinions aren't going to change that.Look, I have been a big fan of Curt's since he came on our team but it is time to look realistically at his situatiion. He has earned kuddos up the gazoo in his four years here and will always be looked at as an icon in RSN. The only thing that could spoil it is if he acts like a spoiled jock who is only thinking of himself instead of what's good for himself, his f ans, family and Red Sox Nation.Curt, exit gracefully this year and maybe you can have a job in the Red Sox organization a la Johnny Pesky. Don't w�rry about a thing-----your legacy is secure with us.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slimdrumplus. Show slimdrumplus's posts

Hello, I was for Santana all the way but no use in hind sighting now ... Buch needs at least a couple of months, maybe more, with�� pawsox... So an experienced pitcher is needed badly... Another decent� year from Wake would be a lotto prize... Forget Colon, have seen him in DR winter league.. idem Tavarez....Both� AWFUL.... Sox facing a huge gap between Beckett and Dice K on one side and the rest on the other court... A surprising Lester could be very helpful but it is a fragile hope... A trade is only reasonable solution... Go Theo

Sections
Shortcuts