1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slimdrumplus. Show slimdrumplus's posts

September stretch run discussion

MY HUMBLE RECIBE WOULD BE

GET MANNY AND KIELTY WELL

GET SOMETHING VALUABLE THRU WAIVERS

SAY GOOD BYE FOR GOOD TO JD AND HINSKE, PUT IN ELLSBURY AND MOSS OR KIELTY, ETC

STRENGHTEN THE BENCH WIT EXTENDED ROSTER

PLAY ONE GAME AT A TIME...

REWIND THE BULL PEN SEQUENCE

DONT YANK THE STARTER WHEN GAME IS VIRTUALLY OVER

GET OFF THE SOFTWARE IN TITO'S BRAIN... HAS HE GOT ONE?

HOPE AND PRAY

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkat. Show jkat's posts

well, Baltimore has been hot lately....it's not like they've lost like 9 in a row....seriously, looking at this lineup the sox are running out there, does anyone really feel confident this team can hold off anybody?? good thing it isn't possible to hit into 2 double plays in one inning - okay, last question - can our pitchers be any worse hitters than Lugo? I mean a blind squirrel finds a nut ONCE IN AWHILE!!! for God's sake, BUNT!!!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gullbeer10. Show gullbeer10's posts

I couldn't agree with you more about the constant lineup changes. If they're annoying me, just think what they're doing to the players. As for Drew the swingin' robot, I have only one stat I continually reference after each game, and that's the LOB column. If you're not sold on how worthless he is just keep checking that one little stat line and you'll quickly get the idea. I can understand Tito not having the b$lls to pull him in favor of Ellsbury because of the ridiculous contract Theo signed him to, but are you telling me Jacoby couldn't get some serious playing time instead of Hinske too? Quit babying the AAA talent and get a couple of those hungry players on the field. Who knows, maybe the swingin' robot will take notice of what playing with heart actually looks like. Finally, I don't buy the switching league BS. A starting position player in the Major Leagues will probably get 500 plus at-bats per year. If facing different pitchers in different ball parks is an issue with you as a hitter, especially a $70 million dollar one, than I'd say there's a serious problem there. A good hitter doesn't give a crap about the surroundings because all he's watching for is the release point and spin of the baseball and that has nothing to do with AL or NL.

Inspite of the constant lineup changes, and yo-yo hitting, GO SOX!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dredsox57. Show dredsox57's posts

What's the difference if they hang on through the stretch. They won't win a game in the playoffs anyway.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from woobie2. Show woobie2's posts

Good morning muggah... great post. I too would like to see the last of Drew this year, but if the "ankle" heals by the end of S ept., Theo is too stubborn to admit his folly to the world and he will be on the post season roster, unfortunately. I have never seen anyone so ill suited to this team, including Jack Clark, Matt Young, WMP, et al.

As for post season play, this team looks like they want to actually hand back the division. Last night in the 8th is the first sign of fighting back I have seen in a long time. I don't know who officially got the loss, but you can thank Timlin and his 4 runs for that one. I would NEVER put Timlin in in a close game - I don't care what his ERA is for the last month. He cannot perform in close games and should have been pulled long before the 2 run homer that put the game officially out of reach. But the good news is that Tito's Best Bud got his 1,000 appearance. Maybe now he'll disappear. (Fat chance). Talk about leaving someone off the playoff roster. I guarantee my house he'll be on any play off roster if Francona's has his way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from woobie2. Show woobie2's posts

Sadly, I agree with every word you write muggah. I was once Theo's biggest supporter and thought he could do no wrong. Then I watched Clement wallow at the trouth, followed by WMP , Crisp, Lugo, Timlin and now Drew. I am amazed he keeps his job and it will be interesting to see if John Henry (a/k/a Simple Simon) makes management moves this winter. Again, sadly, I think not.

I have never seen a team that has been "handed" the division fight so hard to lose it. Sorry for the negativity today - I have had it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from alanv. Show alanv's posts

does anyone know whether little Nancy was part of the celebration onthe field last night, or was she sitting in the dugout rubbing her sorefoot ?? Hopefully the no-no and the September call ups will rekindlesome emotion on this team...which is all the more reason to tell Nancyto stay home so as not to contaminate the spirit...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Everything you said about Drew is true, but does he fit in with the team ?? Do the guy's pull for him , does he play hurt ? Is he a "Dirt Dog " ? Where is the emotion ? Boston demands all of the above for under performing players to be accepted . "Crisp" is the perfect example.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Edgar Rentaria could not handle it and to me Drew is the Outfield version of ER. He will probably get plenty more playing time this year to prove me wrong and I hope he does.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

I hope your right.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

As I said, I hope I'm wrong about the guy. Next year we have Mannys contract season [might be huge ] Coco, Ellsbury and Moss. Do we really need this guy ??

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulfpt. Show paulfpt's posts

I'de definitely give Ellsbury a shot over Drew. Drew is just not hitting - why should he cost the team while he "finds" himself? Ellsbury is blazing fast and his gung-ho attitude will ignite the team. He hit a HR playing CF today - anyone there think Crisp would have hit one out, today?

And here's a sacriligious thought - how about batting Lowell 3rd, Ortiz 4th where he belongs, and Manny FIFTH where HE belongs?

One more: get Timlin the hell off the roster.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

I would like to see Jacobey , Crisp, Ped, Ortiz, Manny, Lowell

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from walterjohnson07. Show walterjohnson07's posts

I'm just glad we were able to take advantage of a rare second win for the Rays in NY, especially with Pettitte starting. I was afraid we'd find a way to blow a 3-0 lead, no more so than when Lester came out for the 7th. The Ghost of Grady is having its way with Tito.

At least this time he yanked Lester immediately.

Great pitch by Oki to get Huff. Huge.

Up to 6, every game counts. Maybe Detroit can catch fire....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from woobie2. Show woobie2's posts

I like your lineup and have often thought the same. However, Ortiz has made it clear on many occasions he does NOT want to bat cleanup - I'm not sure what the difference is to him if Manny is still behind him, but it seems to be carved in stone whenever it is brought up around here.

As for your last thought re: Timlin, yes, yes a thousand times yes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Fred,Crisp is contributing . Drew on the other hand might have to see the pine. Lets see what happens when Manny returns. Jacoby over Hinske in the mean time.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dredsox57. Show dredsox57's posts

D-Rays are 9-3 over their last 12, with nothing to lose. Baltimore has some good starting pitchers as you might have noticed last series against them, and nothing to lose. Red Sox have a GM and Manager that have no business even stepping inside any ball park. Five games isn't that big a lead considering is it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfanwest. Show soxfanwest's posts

I for one was hoping J.D. was going to pick it in the 2nd half, much like he did last season for the Dodgers ( he practically carried them, himself in the 2nd half of 2006). Obviously this was one of Theo's attractions to him.

But he's not the only one to have his stats drop when coming to Boston from the N.L.

Renteria - B.A. 336, 11 H.R., 53 RBI, Slg .490, OBP .390 (2007)

A.Gonzalez- B.A. 272 16 H.R. 53 RBI, Slg..475 OBP .325 (2007)

It just seems once thes guys leave Boston after a (not what we quite expected) !st year stint. They seem to pick it up, elswhere.

Hopefully Drew will get it together. If not the remainder of this year, perhaps next.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jiminycricket. Show jiminycricket's posts

the sweep in chicago, getting swept in ny, 2 of 3 from baltimore. the're 6 up 6 down in the last 12 games.

the team is playing hot and cold lie crazy. its a bit of a joke. i'm ready for the playoffs.

schilling has had a dumper of a year. manny and ortiz have regressed from their studly production of the last few seasons.

youkilis, while a solid player when he's playing well, is a dud with the bat for long stretches

lowell's had a big time year and the fielding has been very solid except for a ton of errors early on.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jiminycricket. Show jiminycricket's posts

ah yes balmer. i know her well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from walterjohnson07. Show walterjohnson07's posts

It's frustrating that we couldn't take 1 in NY, while the Rays win a series there. I can only guess NY had a letdown after their triumph over us, while the Rays have nothing to lose. Whatever the reason, I'm glad it happened. And I'm also glad Torre keeps starting Smarmy Johnny, who I think is 1 for 12 or something like that over the last 3-4 games. (Yeah, I know he'll probably deliver some dagger when we play them in The Fens or in the playoffs, so I have to enjoy his every failure. When he goes to Pittsburgh, Florida, Texas or Washington to play out his string next season, I'll forget about him.)

Back on topic! :- />

Coco has been excellent defensively and saved a few games in CF. His bat has been absent too often, although I seem to remember a clutch extra base hit that helped bring down Mo early in the season. But he lets us play small ball and steal bases. Use him AND Ellsbury, especially for late innings defense.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from woobie2. Show woobie2's posts

Good morning Fred. I assume you enjoyed yesterday's game almost as much as Saturday's? Ellsbury is proving to be exactly what you said he would be, and then some.

This pennant is now down to a one month season and for that reason , someone HAS to shake this manager and ORDER him to play his best 9 EVERY day. A great point about Kielty. He comes in and does the job since day one and then disappears for days at a time. How can he continue to contribute when he doesn't even get 2 innings a game? THe back was an issue for a day, but from what I read and hear from his own lips, he can play. (Could he be one of those unique players who plays through pain when the division is on the line?) I understand your pain about Drew and congratulate you for admitting you, and many of us, made a mistake on that one. He surely must ride the pine in favor of the kids or Kielty at this point. Perhaps he'll return next year, but it's too late to let him experiment now. And Timlin must not be used again this year in a close game. Because of his 1,000 games pin, he put the game out of our reach Friday - our comeback failed by one run after he had given up 4 the inning before. That is the Timlin we have come to know, regardless of his one decent stretch (where he was used correctly by the manager). He CANNOT pitch when it counts. I may be in the minority, but I consider him the one weak link in this bullpen and I pray Tito's is overridden and he is NOT on a playoff roster.

Buckle up Fred.... it's going to be quite a ride from here on out!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dehud. Show dehud's posts

A well run team develops through its own scouting and farm systems. The last couple of days are the way it should be. Hopefully, it sets the stage for a successful decade and is not a flash in the pan. I hope we don't see Bucholz, Lester, Papelbon, Pedroia, and some of these other promising young players with other teams in a few years and more free agent signings like Drew with the Red Sox. By the way Gabbard was 6 and 1 going into last night's game . I don't know how that game came out. Ramirez hit the go ahead homerun for Florida, his 24th, is hitting .333, and has scored 106 runs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Habit. Show Habit's posts

I have been saying for the past month to everyone who was ready to jump ship that the Sept. roster expansions would probably be valuable to the Sox than any other team, because of the wealth of talent they have on the farm. i think you'll see them play the rookies pretty regularly and you'll see the guys who are slumping sit more often, especially in light of the way the young guys have been playing over the past few games. I think we're all set down the stretch. It is too bad we're playing the Jays tonight, as I can't root for them to win and try to gain ground in the Wild Card race. I see a distinct possibility of New York NOT making the playoffs, although we need a couple other ballclubs to pick it up (Hello Mariners). You'll see Ellsbury and Moss a lot, let's hope we continue to see Lopez a bunch as he has flown largely under the radar but has been pitching longer innings than before and getting the job done. The other night, Timlin showed that he has pitched 1000 games, so let's not see him much more. It was fun while it lasted, but see-ya-later. Blowhard Schilling ought to go after this year, although I predict he will be of extreme value in October and will come through when it counts. Let's see strong finishes from Papi and Lowell, and Manny if/when he returns. A couple of decent bullpen guys came up in Corey and Breslow, so let's test them in a couple comfortable games and see if they can hold their own, andi f so, provide some more comfort with the back end, in the wake of Gag-me's tired shoulder. Let me also say that I think when it comes down to the end he will also be a key player. I think you'll see some pretty important pitching and hitting from guys you haven't seen it from yet when it comes close to the end.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

The Sox will win the East Fred.

Sections
Shortcuts