1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtalinm. Show mtalinm's posts

September stretch run discussion

at the risk of being a wet blanket, we just clinched a playoff berth.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from irlnd32. Show irlnd32's posts

You did that last year. :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from irlnd32. Show irlnd32's posts

When he couldn't get a hit for most of the year in a big spot. What are you talking about??

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from irlnd32. Show irlnd32's posts

Yes, but he was moved to 8th in the lineup at one point. So that's not really A-Rod. Manny hasn't hit 8th as far as I can tell.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from peacemow. Show peacemow's posts

Just shoot me now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gabootwo2006. Show gabootwo2006's posts

Here's a scary thought: Go through the lineup and pitching staff and put in red all those you have a bunch of confidence in performing well come the playoffs, black all those who could go either way, and then blue for all those you have no confidence in doing well when the playoffs come.

Beckett

Schilling

Matsuzaka

Wakefield

Papelbon

Gagne

Delcarmen

Okajima

Lopez

Tavarez

Timlin

Ellsbury

Pedroia

Ortiz

Manny??????

Lowell

Drew

Veritek

Youkilis

Crisp

Lugo

Hinske

Cora

Cash/Miribelli

Moss

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wbc363. Show wbc363's posts

Seems to me that any discussion about a team that is delirious about making the "wild card" is moot.The "wild card" was only proposed to extend the playoffs to include the also-rans. These guys are also-rans..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Although I am not sure if moving A-Rod to the 8th slot in the lasy game of last years playoffs had anything to do with A-Rod kicking A** this year. He was 1 - 16 in last years playoffs. An automatic out and that is why Torre dropped him. But to this day, I am not sure I agree.

Manny being out is certainly hurting the Sox. Even when he slumps, his presence forces pitchers to actually pitch to Big Papi.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zanti_misfit. Show zanti_misfit's posts

Didn't I say don't start Wakefield after Sept. 1, Didn't I? Now will someone listen!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lawrencerussell. Show lawrencerussell's posts

As a Yankee fan who thinks mindless bitching is stupid (right up there with booing), I commend you for this post. The Yankees/Sox rivalry is the best in sports.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lawrencerussell. Show lawrencerussell's posts

From a stinkin' Yankees fan to an even more stinkin' Sox fan (grudging respect). If our respective managers are smart, they will say "to hell" with the division and get the teams ready for the playoffs. Whattayathink?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from irlnd32. Show irlnd32's posts

Matt Damon, the Curse of the Damon. Big mouth. He couldn't act his way out of a paper bag. I would actually pay to see that, would be his best role yet.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from irlnd32. Show irlnd32's posts

the worst boston accent in a movie ever.....Matt Damon with a close second his butty Ben

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Fred, The Yankees are exhausted. 3 extra inn games in a row + a rain delay and no day off before the road trip. The bullpen is spent and their best player IMO [Jeter} has a sore knee and struggling. They are not going all out . Once they clinch the WC those starters are going on RnR. Torre has no choice. The Sox are getting back to full strength little by little. I would like to see them skip Dice this week and give Oki some well deserved time off. Is Drew waking up ?

We can rest some key guys at this point and get healthy. I guarantee Torre will.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from khm0823. Show khm0823's posts

RSN'ers: Overjoyed that we're in, but all this stuff about confidence & home field advantage just doesn't wash. Read Verducci's recent column on cnnsi.com. Basically, in the past 10 or so years, home field/ September momentum have little or no correlation with post-season success. We're IN!! GO SOX!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

Cleveland has a better record than Anaheim. WC plays better record. EE does not want to win the div at this point because of that. RSN will claim that EE doesn't want to play the Angels. I claim they do not want the flights to the left coast. Either way, the EE does not want to win the div.

Before the flamers start, yes I realize that this is a recent choice. Since the Indians took the lead for best record. BTW it does not matter if the RS finish with best record in the league.

Both the EE and the RS want to rest people at this point.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gabootwo2006. Show gabootwo2006's posts

Interesting fact of the night:

The last six World Series winners since 2001 have been one team from each division.

2001 - Arizona Diamondbacks (NL West) over the New York Yankees

2002 - Anahiem Angels (AL West) over the San Francisco Giants

2003 - Florida Marlins (NL East) over the New York Yankees

2004 - Boston Red Sox (AL East) over the St. Louis Cardinals

2005 - Chicago White Sox (AL Central) over the Houston Astros

2006 - St Louis Cardinals (NL Central) over the Detroit Tigers

Before that.....The New York Yankees won the World Series 4 out of 5 years which were in 1996, and three years in a row from 1998 - 2000.

Just thought I would throw that out there as a fun fact.

GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from gabootwo2006. Show gabootwo2006's posts

Seabeachfred,

Red Sox win, Yankees win tonight and clinch the final playoff spot in the AL, magic number is now 2 with 4 games each for each team. Do you think that now that the Yankees are in, they will pull the reigns up on the horse on rest their players the last four games and concede the AL East title to the Sox? One newspaper noted that the Yankee regulars seem worn down a bit due the grind and effort used to get back into the race. I get the sense that is what they will do. I am hoping for a Red Sox win along with a Yankee loss tomorrow to seal the deal. Also, the Sox still have the best record in baseball standings to contend with, but at this point it looks like Anahiem coming here and we have fared well against the Angels this year. In addition, remember all the fielding troubles and woes the Angels had the last time they came to Fenway? They don't do well HERE in Fenway. Let's hope that still holds true come playoff time.

Didn't see much of the game tonight due to prior obligations but from what I saw....they look like they are playing better. J.D. Drew looks like he could pull a 2004 Derek Lowe on us and be a key to the teams success going into the playoffs. If I am right, I think he was quoted by some local Boston reporter that if he can have a very good September and even better post-season that could salvage somewhat what he even acknowledged has been a disappointing season for him. Therefore stating that he is going to give it his all to right his image to the Red Sox fans across the world. Let's hope we can see the J.D. Drew that Theo thought he would be getting when he made the move to acquire him.

Think of it:

Ellsbury or Lugo (leading off), Pedroia, Ortiz, Lowell, Manny, (a hot) Drew, Youkilis, Veritek, Crisp or Lugo (if Ellsbury starts).

Not a bad lineup

As for the pitching, after Beckett, I think that Schilling IS your number 2 pitcher, followed by Matsuzaka at number with Wakefield as the 4 and spot long reliever

The pen.....Papelbon, Delcarmen, Timlin, Gagne (I know....scary), Lopez, and Tavarez or Lester

By the way, to totally change subject. Do you think the curse of A-Rod and his legendary slumps come playoff time will continue for him this year? Let's hope so, because if he does go into another playoff slump, I will try to get every one in Red Sox Nation to bring a pumpkin to Fenway with his name on it, if the Red Sox play the Yankees in the ALCS. This to symbolize A-Frauds play when it comes to the playoffs.

GO SOX!!!!!!!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Hey Fred, If you have been listening to sports radio here in SoCal you have been hearing how much the Angel fans do NOT want to face the Red Sox. All I hear about is Big Papi and Donny Moore and Dave Henderson. The angel fans would love to play NY. I believe we have a psychological advantage on this team . The fans talk of Fenway like it's the house of horrors.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigjoeq. Show bigjoeq's posts

Yanks don't have the bullpen period. Their great hitting covers up their lame pitching.I bet the yanks would rather have Gagne than Bruney or Vizcaino too. Go Sox!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Fred , You are right about Francona , he seems to have had an epiphany of some kind . I want one more 'Leap of Faith" . bring in Buchholz as the setup man, the role is crucial and he is throwing great, we can always go to plan 'b' if he can't handle it but I think the kid will shine as a setup for Pap.

Sections
Shortcuts