1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

September stretch run discussion

I think that it is pretty clear that if Beckett's fastball is up like last night---and last year---it'll get crushed. A couple of bright spots for me last night was the hitting of Moss and the relief work of Okajima. And please, can onyone do something to keep Hinske and Kielty off the post-season roster? I'd rather see Cora or Moss at the plate instead of either of these two, and I'm wondering whether one of them couldn't fill in at first in a pinch? One last point why isn't Ellsbury leading off? What's the point of burying him in the middle of the lineup, where we might not be able to utilize his speed?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtalinm. Show mtalinm's posts

but Francona should be fired for leaving DiceK in for the 8th inning...right?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gabootwo2006. Show gabootwo2006's posts

Seabeachfred,

How are you feeling now? I told you there was nothing to worry about (LOL). Now to get down to the real business which are the playoffs. Hopefully, they will be able to get the best record in baseball distinction and home field guaranteed throughout the playoffs with a win and a Cleveland loss tomorrow. This would give them (what I think is) a huge advantage in the playoffs because you always want to win at home and force your opponents to have to beat you on your home turf. Looks like the Sox will face Anahiem in the first round and Anahiem doesn't play well here in Fenway. After that, if the Yankees win thier series, they have to play here to start and finish here if it goes 7. I think tonight was a crushing blow to the Yankees and I truly think they are a tired team. I think all the effort it took to have them play thier way into contention again will show in the playoffs as a very tired team. Hopefully, Cleveland will be very tough on them and will win that series because I would rather play Cleveland (who we went 5-2 against) rather than face the Yankees who won the season series against us this year.

Now here is a scary thought, in the World Series .......Boston Red Sox vs. Chicago Cubs???????......this after the last six World Series have been won by one team from each division. Arizona (NL West), Anahiem (AL West), Florida (NL East), Boston (AL East), Chicago White Sox (AL Central) and St. Louis (NL Central) last year.

Queue the Twilight Zone music in the background.

Anyways, have a glass of champagne tonight and I wish I was there to cling your glass in a toast to show support for the Red Sox. May the Baseball Gods shine down on the Red Sox and have them win the World Series this year.

GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gabootwo2006. Show gabootwo2006's posts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gabootwo2006. Show gabootwo2006's posts

Seabeachfred,

Glad you are in a better state of mind and that last night worked out well for everyone in Red Sox Nation. How ironic it was to see the Yankees choke in the clutch and secure the division for the Red Sox when that was what the Yankees and Yankee fans were expecting from the Red Sox.

As for the Red Sox and the persuit for the best record. I think a Cleveland loss and just one more Red Sox win secures that up. Rest some players, maybe sit down Ortiz today to rest his knee and slide Manny into the third spot and if the Red Sox win out then they have the best record and the perks that come with it. However, either way the matchup is set that we will face Anahiem. The only thing best record would guarantee is that if the Sox have to play Cleveland in the ALCS is that we have home field adavantage over them in that series, otherwise other than that we have home field advantage in every other series.

As for how I see the playoffs:

Red Sox have played much better as of late and seem to be getting things in order at the right time. Pitching questions as far as Schilling and Matsuzaka have been for the most part answered and they should be able to give competitive performances on the field come the playoffs. The bullpen still needs to have some questions answered and I think we will get those answers the last two games here. As for the offense, it seems to be peaking at the right time. Ortiz is on fire, Drew has been hitting much better, Lowell has been the MVP, and the rest of the role players have seemed to step it up as of late. Hoping this mix will be good enough to make it to the World Series.

Cleveland.....the most dangerous team in the AL because what do they have to lose. Most experts are talking New York or the Red Sox to make it to the World Series while bypassing a very good Cleveland team. They can play like they have nothing to lose because in theory on a national stage.....they don't....... because most are not picking them to do much. Sabathia and Carmona can do some real damage. Look for the first round shocker over the Yankees since I think the Yankees are a very tired team right now.

Anahiem......Very good team with a manager in Scoicia (I know I butchered the name) who I agree is one of the top 3 managers in baseball, maybe even the best handling the reigns. However, does thier starting pitching scare anyone.......Lackey as the ace for example.......not as good as the other 3 AL teams aces in the playoffs. However, their fortay is manufacturing and producing runs any way possible. That scares me big time because if they can get that part of their game going, it could be very tough on the Sox. With that said though, I think that because Anahiem doesn't play well in Fenway that the series will be over in 4 games with the Red Sox taking it.

The Yankees.......Best offensive line up in all of baseball, but I feel that all the effort spent on making the comeback they did has left them a very tired team. In addition, ARod has a history of turning into a pumpkin at playoff time.....great player who sucks in the playoffs. The Sox could very likely meet up with them for the AL title. However, they have to come to Fenway for a possible four games and that should be the difference. Albeit, that coming from a diehard Red Sox fan.

As for the National League contender for the title, the only team that would scare the crap out of me if they made it against the Sox would be the Cubs. History could be making up for lost time for the Cubs as the old mantra of ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN......could happen.

In closing, let's root on our team the Red Sox and wish and hope they will make to the World Series and win it again. CHEERS FOR THE 2007 A.L. EAST CHAMPS.

GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Well Fred , What can I say ?? One in a row . We have a very young team and we will be tough to beat for years to come. You have been pushing these Rooks for two years and I believe that these guys were the difference coming down the stretch. Not only with the talent that they brought to the field but maybe more importantly the ' attitude " that they brought to the club house. In late August with the Yanks charging, the team looked like it was about to do the 'classic ' Red Sox fade and then the Sept call up brought us Ellsbury and Buchholz. 'Bingo" a whole new attitude.

Youk, Pedroia, Beck, Ells,Dice, Manny D., Lestor, Buchholz all came in after 04 they are not haunted by the old 'curse' like maybe some of the vets [ and a big part of the fan base ] . This group of 20 somethings may win or they may lose but they won't 'choke'.

I plan on going to at least one playoff game at The Big A. [ I hope there is only one ] here's my plan since the games are ' sold out ' Wait till the bottom of the 1st and negotiate with the most panicked scalper in the parking lot. Not excatly rocket science , but it works.

Lets raise a glass to The Sox Fred, they [we] earned it !!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Hey Ronnie "Chill out "

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

I expect about a 70 - 30 split between Angel fans and Red Sox fans in the 4th game of the playoffs. I will be part of the 30 to see The Sox take it in FOUR.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from elktonnick. Show elktonnick's posts

Living in the LA area as I do, you might have read the constant moaning coming from the Dodgers about how their young players and vets were in a toxic relationship, chemistry and harmony being cast aside like a plague. Thank goodness it worked so well for us because it seemed like the whole team was playing as one when the going got rough.

It is an interesting comment, since this is exactly Francona's strength as a manager making sure the team functions as a team and he minimizes team disharmony. I believe Grady Little manages the Dodgers. (Francona"s predecessor) This is why I believe Francona is the best manager the Red Sox have had since Joe Cronin and I've seen them all since then.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gabootwo2006. Show gabootwo2006's posts

Seabeachfred,

Checkmark another accomplishment for the Red Sox! BEST RECORD IN BASEBALL FOR 2007 AND HOMEFIELD ADVANTAGE IN ALL PLAYOFF SERIES.

Cleveland loses to Kansas City 4-3 tonight sealing the deal.

REST EVERYONE TOMORROW AND PLAY ALL THE KIDS.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from elktonnick. Show elktonnick's posts

His strategy is fine. Remember the big lead allowed them to rest ballplayers and to let some others demonstrate whether they could pitch out of trouble. The really good pitchers can. Francona manages according to this team's philosophy of the game. The Red Sox sabermetric approach generally considers small ball in most cases not to be that effective and has been shown statistically to be such especially with this lineup and in Fenway Park. Francona doesn't micro manage his team. He lets his ball players play their game.

Scoscia (or however you spell his name ) in my view over manages and his moves can cost his team runs. For example the sacrifice bunt of a man on first with no outs actually reduces the chance of bringing home a run, significantly. While i didn't watch the Angels play except when they played Boston in the games I've seen he calls every pitch. Plus the Angels play in a significantly weaker division. It will be interesting to see how these two different philosphical approaches to the game play themselves out .

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from elktonnick. Show elktonnick's posts

We can agree to disagree. By the way I think this Red Sox team has stolen more bases than any Red Sox team in over 90 years. I've beeen watching the Red Sox for over fifty years and I can't recall a more agressive club on the bases. A lot of the station to station ball, however, is because the Red Sox play at Fenway park. The short left field and the wall change base running strategy. You can't always score from second on a base hit to left at Fenway. Those left fielders who know the wall and park can play a short left field for that reason, to prevent runners from taking the extra base. It's no accident that Manny who is a terrible defensive outfielder always is among league leaders for left fielders in assists.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from elktonnick. Show elktonnick's posts

As i said we can agree to disagree

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from aimbrig. Show aimbrig's posts

One good thing about the playoffs is that we wont have to wtach wakefield, mirabelli, hinske and kielty stink up the field anymore!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from elktonnick. Show elktonnick's posts

Both Wakefield and Mirabelli will be playing next year, if not for the Red Sox (who I believe will try to keep Wakefield) then for another major league team. There are at least 20 other teams who would love to have a 17 game winner as their 4 th starter. Plus, don't be surprised to see Wake start a game in the playoffs if the Sox beat the Angels. He will most probably start a game in the World Series should the Sox get that far.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from aimbrig. Show aimbrig's posts

Mirabelli is 38 years old next year and has lost whatever meager skills he ever had.

Cash will replace him next year.

Wakefield will be back unless they can use him to trade for a better pitcher. He in unreliable and his record of performance in the playoffs has been horrible. He won 17 games this year because he played for Boston. If he pitched for Tampa he would have won maybe 10 at best.

Any playoff game he pitches in the RS will lose - my prediction.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from elktonnick. Show elktonnick's posts

He is realiable as a knuckleballer. Knucklers by their very definition are quirky but a good one which Wakefield is, is a very valuable commodity. You may think he'll lose but we'll see. He just might surprise you. Besides ten games in Tampa is a heck of a good record.

Catching in the bigs is such a tough job anyone who can do it even as well as Mirabelli can last a long time. Mirabelli will be playing next year somewhere if he wants to.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Lets see what happens in the PS with Schill. If he really has morphed into a control type guy , I could see him winning 13 - 15 as a 4 or 5 going 6+inn. a game. BUT lets see what he does . Please don't bring up what he might cost . I think that debate is moot when it comes to Bos. or NY.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from walterjohnson07. Show walterjohnson07's posts

I agree, the postseason could be a good measuring stick for Schill. I've not been thrilled by his transition to finesse pitching, it just didn't seem to make sense and could be painful to watch. However his recent starts have been better, and he claims to be trying some different things out there. If he gets roughed up, it's time for Schill to go back to the NL and get as many wins as he can to strengthen his case for the HOF. If he is effective in the playoffs, then I could see him back next year as a 4th or 5th starter at maybe $6.5 million.

Wake is a more difficult case for reasons stated in previous posts. He just does not inspire a lot of confidence, especially in big games. And he requires a personal catcher.

Another admittedly imperfect point evalution point is how well these guys do against our arch-rival. Neither Schill nor Wake has been very good against NY over the course of the season. Is there any reason to believe they will get better in the post or next year? I'm not so sure.

The last point is, what young pitcher other than Buch is ready to step in?

Beckett, Dice-K, Buch, Lester, ?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Exactly, we are in need of a 4 or a 5 ,Lester still being unproven, in my opinion. So Schill has to be given a long leash. If he can deliver consistent 6 inn quality starts as a finesse pitcher then he will be worth a lot for a short contract.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from elktonnick. Show elktonnick's posts

Let me set the record straight, I didn't say that I would keep Wakefield , if I were GM. I am saying don't be surprised if the Sox did keep him. While it is true that the Sox have great prospects in Bucky and Lester, they'll need a 5 th starter especially early in the year. Unless Schilling is willing to take a Wakefield kind of deal (which I don't think he would, he'll not be back.) That being said Wakefield is well respected and highly flexible. He has demonstrated this flexibility and his team attitude is highly appreciated and that carries him a long way. So the Sox just may be willing take a flyer on him. If they don't, some other club surely will.

As for Mirabelli, if he wants to play he being playing somewhere. While it may not be in Boston, there are teams including the O's who could use a backup catcher such as Mirabelli. Catchers who are still willing to catch can last a long time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from elktonnick. Show elktonnick's posts

Oh my gosh the end times must be at hand! I generally agree with your last post.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from elktonnick. Show elktonnick's posts

Don't press it Fred doesn't mean we are going to take long walks together.