1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

September stretch run discussion

Fred, we have a better team than the Yanks . Period

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from walterjohnson07. Show walterjohnson07's posts

Tonight is a big opportunity for us. A win tonight obviously would be good for the numbers, it could provide momentum and perhaps some confidence for Dice-K. Personally, I want the Yankees out of the playoff picture. In any case, let's sew up the division as early as we can, so our guys can get some rest before the postseason. Let's go 7 up tonight!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Fred , I know it is hard to believe if you are a long time RS fan BUT we have great pitching. Let me say again The Sox have great pitching. In a post season format the pitching even gets better. Manny is the key, if he comes back healthy the Sox in all probability will win the World Series. If he doesn't then we will play a NL style and hope for the best. Ellsbury and Buch are feeling no stress, they are "unconscious", like kids should be, I believe that is infectious.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from woobie2. Show woobie2's posts

Francona cannot manage his pitchers/bullpen effectively, fred. He has watched the other team score 7 runs and doesn't seem to know what to do. This is a big weakness for this club.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slimdrumplus. Show slimdrumplus's posts

Sox should win the East, unless they blow tonite┤s game.... But if Sox do win the Division, how to cope with the Post Season... First, knock the yanks off, much better with them out of the way.... Secondly, when roster shrinks again, BEWARE OF MAUDLIN SENTIMENT, DONT MAKE THE YOUNG BOYS EXPENDABLE, ELLSBURY, MOSS, BUCHOLZ AND LESTER ARE BETTER THAT MANY OLD CLOWNS HANGING AROUND FENWAY... NO MERCY

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slimdrumplus. Show slimdrumplus's posts

About stretch discussion:

Make a Note, if during next weekend Julian Tavarez getsstart by letting aside Bucholtz, I WILL NEVER EVER VISIT FENWAY UNTIL TERRY GOES HOME FOR GOOD! IN OTHER WORDS, CLAY BELONGS ALREADY IN ROTATION UNTIL FACTS PROVE IT OTHERWISE...

HOW ABOUT A GENERAL OPINION ON THIS ISSUE

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Dice is a little beat , so is Schill, so is Wake and Buch could use an extra day as well. I think a six man rotation is an easy hit, using Lester as #6, even Lester looks a little weak. If Beckett needs to go every 5 to keep his rhythm fine , we have the luxury of 6 starters and a 7 game lead . Lets get em all healthy and play the kids as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from walterjohnson07. Show walterjohnson07's posts

Every game matters, and we cannot get overconfident with a 7-game lead. With that caveat in mind, I think we can selectively spot start Tavarez and perhaps Buchholz (I'm concerned about his arm and innings pitched) to give Dice-K, Wake, and Schill the rest they need down the stretch. They're bringing up Hansack also and he could spot start also...even Snyder (shudder).

I'm thinking if we're up 2 in a series against a sub .500 team, we can go with a spot starter. This is subject, of course, to the standings - and against NY, we go with the best starters in the rotation. We want to get some mojo back when they come to town, hopefully desperate to stay in the WC race.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Habit. Show Habit's posts

As much as I enjoyed seeing Buccholzpitch his no-hitter, it is far to early in his career to be throwing him in every 5 starts in the stretch run and expect him to perform. Wake should be fine. Schill will be Schill, and we all know his post-season prowess. Beckett is fine. Zaka has had a few bad outings in a row, which is of concern, but wait 2 more starts and see if he can't find his groove again, then get judgemental. Remember, he has had a number of 2-1 or 1-0 losses this season, and if it weren't for the offensive slump the whole team hit during that period the man would have at least 17 wins right now, most likely more. Instead he has 2 or 3 more losses. Tavarez's last outing was weak, but everyone is so quick to forget his 2 outings before that when he went 7 innings with 2 hits both times. That's a quality start to me. Lester has been inconsistent. You can see how hard he has to fight to get it done. He's a great story, but I'm not sure at this juncture he should be your 5th man in the rotation, starting next year anyway. Hansack is here now, and he is a pretty good pitcher. Look for him to get a couple spot starts. I think in that group we have enough to hold us down until playoffs. Let Manny sit as long as he wants or until Ellsbury begins to falter, because that kid is playing IMO better than Manny as of late. Give Moss some more playing time. We'll be all set.

I have to say though, I see a lot of negativity towards Kyle Snyder and a lot of comparisons to Mike Timlin, and given Snyder has had a couple poor outings, but overall for the course of the year he's put together a very solid year under the radar, and after all the arm surgeries and health problems he's had, he's looking more like a solid major league pitcher than at any other time in his career. Give him a break. Not everyone can be lights out all the time. I can understand giving it to Timlin because of his maddening inconsistency and struggles...the man is showing 1000 games worth of work and looks tired. But y'all have to find some middle ground, every player can't be either gold or trash. There is such thing as a solid player who is not a standout nor junk.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from woozy93. Show woozy93's posts

Instead of Gagne they should have acquired Dye. He would have replaced Drew facing lefty pitchers and would have been a great backup back up to Manny and Drew. He was hitting poorly but would have been nice to have on the bench. Although, it is nice to see the young prospects who are playing very well. They should just start Ellsbury over drew who is not producing. Ellsbury is a better fielder, gets on base, and adds a lot of speed to a slow red sox roster.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dsk1. Show dsk1's posts

Do you think you wold have gotten Dye for Murphy and Gabbard? If it cost you Buchholz and Ellsbury would you make the trade? Doubt it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

As we head towards the playoffs I'd lock in Ellsbury at leadoff, cause he has got to be better than Lugo, who has an on-base % less than .300. I also like the fact that he doesn't hesitate to steal a base. Recently, for some unknown reason Lugo has been incredibly reluctant to steal second. I like Pedroia in the 2 spot. Ellsbury, by the way, would play every day even if Manny returns!

Aside from the top of the lineup, Theo has got to do something about the spot leftie situation. I don't think we can rely on Lopez. Timlin has gotten hammered recently, but it appears will have to use him with Gagne out and DelCarmen only able to successfully handle 2 or 3 batters per outing. I guess Synder will get mop-up duty----I wouldn't trust him with anything else!----but there has got to be somebody better than him in the system who deserves a shot!

Finally, players who take called 3rd strikes all the time ought to be fined! It's driving me nuts!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from walterjohnson07. Show walterjohnson07's posts

From what we've seen of JE so far, I don't know how he can't be on the playoff roster. Still, to borrow a trite TV announcer phrase, "The playoffs are a different animal," and Terry may want to begin the playoffs with vets. We have 20+ games yet to watch the JE phenomenon. Pretty awesome at this point.

Last night's win was gutsy, especially with NY cruising over Seattle. Halladay is one of the best but they pulled it off - Josh going 8 was big. I like this little trend. Growing confidence, growing momentum.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mascmen7. Show mascmen7's posts

Francona has some crazy rules.

1. If a player goes on a hitting spree he must be rested because he is doing too much running on the bases.

2. A starting pitcher must be left in until he gives up seven runs. Wins be damned.

3. No sacrifices when men on first and second and no outs because even with a double play we will have a man on third with 2 outs.

4. Lugo must bat first so he will have the most at bats on the team and maybe he might get on, steal second and Pedroia will knock him in and we will win the game. WHOOPEE!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

...that and the fact that the other AL East teams other than the Yankees stink!...however ,now it's Sept and IMO it's time to play your "RESTED" best and win the damned AL EAST!

since May 31:

NY 56-33

BOS 48-40

TOR 46-40

TB 36-53

BALT 33-51

Now run your numbers from Aug 1 when it REALLY counts.!!!!!!!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from walterjohnson07. Show walterjohnson07's posts

Let's win the AL East and help the Tigers win the WC by burying NY next week! We are DUE to bust them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

To a reporter's question about his outing the other night, when Vernon Wells hit a game-winning homer off him, Okajima responded that he felt tired both physically and mentally. When aked about this comment Francona replied that it was probably just a case of leaving a change-up up in the zone. My obervation has been that Okijima does indeed look tired and has looked that way for a few weeks. I think Francona should take the guy at his word----he hardly looks like a slacker to me! In fact he has already pitched more innings this year than at any time during his career in Japan. Francona is right that he did leave that pitch up in the zone, but my memory is that earlier in the year, when he was fresh, he never did that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

When we picked up Gagne instead of a bat most of the board went nuts. Gagne may turn out to be a bust BUT trading for a good 8th inn guy was the right move. Oki is tired, Manny D still has a way to go, Timlin is unreliable and Pap is seeing too much action. Maybe this where Buch fits in, we need a set up guy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Hi Fred, lots of info here

www.pawsox.com

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

I'm going with 98 because they might rest the starters in the Minnesota series, or in the last 12 or so .

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Dice AND Oki need a rest. This is no longer a debatable subject. Start planning for the PS NOW.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

98 sounds right if things brake their way. I don't think they rest anyone until they see how the rest of the week plays out. If they go into the Yank Series still up by 6, then they can try and finsih the Yanks off and start resting players. If they lose any of their cushion before the weekend series with the Yanks; then all bets are off. If that lead has dropped to 4 by the start of next weekends series; then they have no choice but to play their butts off until it is clinched and that might go until the last week of the year. No matter what, Francona needs to sit Dice-K for his next start. Francona and Tito both know that they cannot lose the division to the Yankees in the last three weeks of the season. It could cost them their jobs. Do you think they will hold tight in the Clay B. rules?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

No I think that he will get a big start against the Yankees. The fans will go nuts if TITO started Tav over Buch. Dice is out for, hopefully 2 weeks and we are short handed in the rotation . This is exactly the reason we have a Sept. call up. Clay is not showing any signs of fatigue , and if they kept him at 85 -90 a game I think he could right through the PS.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

If I have learned one thing here in the Bronx; Managers and GM's do not make game decisions based on the fans reactions. I have a feeling that Dice-K will make his next scheduled start and then decisions will be made. If I was Tito, I would sit him; but I have a feeling that Theo will want to prove his signing of Dice-K by making sure he pitches against the Yankees. And this way, if Dice-K does come up big, Theo can wave that in everyones face. What was Dice-K's pitch count at the time of his removal tonight? I know Torre shut down Petite tonight at 89.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

The Sox have 6 guys that at this time could be considered starters,.so resting Dice is not a problem, I don't think they feel comfortable going in to the PS with Wake as #2 , maybe Schill, but that's asking for a lot. The guy they need to fix is Dice, he is not injured as far as I know and by any pitch count history, he must be tired. This is not Chinese Algebra give the guy some time off. Theo is a smart guy he will look a lot better if Dice comes back and is lights out in the PS.