1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

September stretch run discussion

Vic

Your right, the history of his pitch count in Japan dictated a well thought out limit during the season with an eye on September. The Sox had a double digit lead through much of the season and Tito was grinding this guy every 5 days, the number of inn expected for the year was unrealistic looking at his history as a pro. His history tells us one more thing , he is "durable" in fact that was how the legend of Dice in Japan was built. I would like to see him held out for 3 weeks . We have a 5 game lead and 12 wins or so seals the division. I think we can accomplish that without pitching Dice , would like to see the Sox finish with the best record, but I am convinced that we will need a strong Dice to win it all , so now is the only time to rest him . The return of Manny and maybe a couple of Lester and Buch gems should give us the juice to win 12 games and the division, if the Angels happen to grab home field advantage ,so be it. We have historically handled the Angels in the PS , some tough series, but we came out on top. I'm looking for Buch and Manny to both finish up strong.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I am not sure I would go that far. As a Yankee fan, I hope you are right, but I think Manny will be back, possibly for the Yankee series and Ortiz is showing his long ball muscle. The big if is, will management have the guts to pull Dice-K like the Yanks pulled Mussina and give Clay the ball.?You can certainly manage his pitch count. 75 sounds like a number that will get you through 5 innings and to your deep bullpen.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

It has become clear that the Red Sox and Yankees are two teams headed in very different directions. Everything is falling in place for NY and they are clearly the best team in baseball right now.

Can't argue with that, the Sox are 17 -12 and the dangerous Yankees 17 -11 in the last month. What could be more clear. At that rate the NY will overtake Bos. Feb. 8.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

The lead was 5 games on Aug 18 and the lead is today 5 . Quite an impressive charge by the Yanks. You are a Yankee fan and if you posted as a proud Yankee fan I would gladly debate. But your screen name defines you as a TROLL so I have to put you on "IGNORE".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Tired arm = bad mechanics It's all semantics . The guy has plenty of history to analyze, He's tired that's it . Not resting him will be a big mistake. Oki looked good today , maybe his hip is feeling better.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

with his stuff he can give us a quality start

Why not ? what do we have to lose, Dice cannot go at this point . Why push the guy physically and mentally . We have the luxury of a 5 game lead and have just won 7 out of 10. Clay could secure a place on the PS staff with a big day. With Dice struggling, Wake a little banged up and Schill throwing 88 mph FB we need a live arm. Lackey came up and did a great job for the Angels a few years back. Why not Clay ?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I agree - a tired arm does not always translate to weakness in arm strength. A tired arm can cause the shoulder to fly open, thereby a pitcher loes location on his fastball. I think Dice-K earns some ROY votes but I would no longer say that he is the #2 starter on the staff heading into the post season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nessaralindaran. Show nessaralindaran's posts

well said, Chazz, well said.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from louismichael5. Show louismichael5's posts

I'm not buying all of this "tired arm and fatigue" BS. While I think that DiceK has the makings of being a star in the league, I don't think he knows how to pitch in this league. His stuff can be electric but he is frequently all over the place. You can't tell me that he is fun to watch. He consistantly gets behind hitters and is then forced to rely on his fastball. He then either walks batters or gets knocked around. I'd put him at the back end of the rotation. You take away the huge contract and the off season mega hype and all you have is an average pitcher that is extremely inconsistant.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from elktonnick. Show elktonnick's posts

I was at the game and it was quite obvious that Dice K was not tired. He was clearly overthrowing his fast ball. He had lost his release point. You could tell the moment the ball left his hand it was going to be outside and high. Tek tried to get him to change and concentrate by calling for a breaking pitch. I think one of the major problems with Dice K from my perspective is communication between pitcher and catcher. I don't know what his English comprehension is but it's clear that Tek can't get him to understand . Dice K nods his head but that doesn't mean he really understands

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from elktonnick. Show elktonnick's posts

This may be heresy but I don't think it is important that the Sox win the division except in so far as they go into the playoffs with momentum and healthy. While it is true that the sox have ONLY a 5 and half game on the the Yankees, they have a 9 and half game lead on the wild card. If I were part of the BOSOX leadership I'd be more interested in making the playoffs healthy than trying to win the division and sacrifice my playoff chances by misusing my starters and reserves. We can't do anything to prevent the Yankees from themselves making the playoffs, only Seattle and Detroit could do that. And they don't appear up to the task.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from satch9841. Show satch9841's posts

I too am sick of francoMas constant lineup changes, it is hard to get into a rhythm when you hit in different parts of the batting order, you have a good game at the plate and the next game you are sitting on the pine!!! Perfect example on saturday against orioles lugo goes 2-4 with 2 doubles and sunday francoMa puts in the 1 for 17 cora!! UNbelievable. Terry has done this same thing several times this season. Oh by the way, on espn about 3 to 4 weeks ago on baseball tonight they asked which major league team has used the same lineup the fewest times? You guessed it, the Boston Red Sox. If you will remember francoMa started making excuses for the lineup changes during interleague play, that is fine and well but when interleague play was over he kept tinkering with the lineup and hasn't stopped. I believe francoMa makes more decisions than you think although there seems to be a close decision relationship between terry and theo.

it is my opinion that the sox front office thought drew was healthy until the physical showed some things the sox didn't like. Maybe he wasn't 100% but it looks like he is starting to hit. If his hitting improves, so should his power numbers hopefully. I think the sox were planning on platooning drew and dye if they swung the deal, with an eye on moving drew in the offseason. We need manny to get well and get the sox offense back in gear. MY jury is still out on youk, but he appears to be hitting again although his strikeouts are a little alarming. Sox will stick with youk for the rest of the season and at the end maybe we will be able to tell if he is full time material.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Sept. 10th -

Sox lose 1-0 (now 4 games ahead in the loss column.)

Tigers win in the 9th inning (now 3 1/2 games out of the WC)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Good Post , wrong conclusion, First let me say that the first Sox game I attended the starter was Bill Mombuquett. What you are about to witness is a Rookie Storm, In all your years as a fan have you ever seen so many "KIDS" as impact players ? Ped [probably roy], Pap [ best closer in BB}, Dice, Lester, Youk,, Ellsbury, Manny D., Beckett. average age 25 yrs. ' 75' had a lot but this is twice as many. What you may be seeing is the making of a dynasty. This team will not lose the division.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I don't think it will be easy for either team. The only advantage is the Yanks still play the Sox 3 games. My hoinest opinion is that everything will stay as is with the standings.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I am a Yankee fan and I really do not see this downward spiral that you see. The standings in the East are as they were 3 1/2 weeks ago. They Yanks got their butts kicked by Tampa as well. Trust me, they are not such a horrible team. I cannot predict the future, and of course I would love if your predictions come true, but I just don't see the Sox completely falling apart and out of the post season. I don't even see them losing the division. The Yanks have to play 3 tough games in Toronto before they even get to Boston and we are counting on two rookies and a very old arm to do it. Between now and next Monday should be very interesting.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chokeme. Show chokeme's posts

reposted from last night's game thread

I hope Theo finds a way to get Kazmir on the Red Sox. Even if it means kidnapping him, just get him on the Red Sox roster so we don't have to face him anymore

he would be a good replacement for Schilling. But, much like the Gagne situation, we don't need another pitcher. "Experts" say the Red Sox have too good pitching to lose the division. The fact is, the pitchers are good, and they generally keep us in games, but nobody (media folks) takes into consideration they can pitch 1 or 2 run games but lose because the offense is a joke.

I'm glad people are starting to realize Tek is overrated. I've been saying that for 2 or 3 years now. He runs to and away from the plate like a little leaguer. And you can guarantee he will swing at terrible pitches night in and night out.

There are just too many outs all the way through this lineup, and the manager being blind to this adds to the problem. He's a terrible game time manager who the players love because of his loyalty. But a love fest does not win championships.

This will be extremely sad if the Yankees win the division. I understand that being the wild card and making the playoffs is still ok to some people, but it would be ridiculously embarrassing to the organization if this slips away, which I think will indeed happen. Hype-K should be rested. Beckett, who gives you the best chance to win, should pitch game 1 this weekend (it would be normal rest for him) and Clay should pitch Saturday. That would be the logical thing to do, but as we've seen, they don't think that way.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gabootwo2006. Show gabootwo2006's posts

NYviaMass,

I wouldn't put too much stock in the Red Sox getting shut out by Kazmir the other night. Kazmir is a stud pitcher who could be easily a number 1 pitcher for about 75% of the leagues teams right now. He is someone who I hope when he contract comes up again...the Sox go after hard to obtain because he is that good. The should be able to score well against the rest of the team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

The Sox have one thing going for them right now. Big Papi seems to be back as the most feared left handed hitter in the A.L. -

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

The Sox have one thing going for them right now

AAHHAAHAH Well I might have to add Pap, Ped, Lowell, Beck, Ells, Buchholz .......

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Chazz - I was not saying that Big Papi was all the Sox had. Trust me, I have watched every game played between the Sox and Yanks over the last 7 years; i know better than to even think that! I was only commenting on what appears to be his reemergence as a true nightmare to all pitchers and some of the threads where members of the RSN were bemoaning the fact that he could not do it anymore. It seems that cortisone shot has done him well. I hope the same will hold true for Clemons.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

I hope the same will hold true for Clemons.

Why Clemens ? Due you root for the EE.?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from elktonnick. Show elktonnick's posts

I agree. Here is rhetorical question for all those folks who talk about the division title. Which is more important winning the Division or winng in the first round of the playoffs. I'd rather win in the playoffs then the division

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Hope you're right, but if the Yankess take the series as I expect

OLD school "TROLLS"