1. You have chosen to ignore posts from walterjohnson07. Show walterjohnson07's posts

September stretch run discussion

I share your discomfort about this series. There seemed to be a fair amount of confidence on this board prior to the series in the Bronx, as NY had played the night before and had been obliterated by Detroit and lost that series, while we had absolutely crushed Chicago. None of those factors seemed to matter at game time.

Thus while I am glad Toronto squeeked by NY last time (nice game by Kennedy - 1 hit!) while the RS rested, I don't think it matters that much. I think we win the Saturday game. Starting Dice-K (although I am a fan of his) will prove a mistake, and on Sunday both Schill and Fatty Arbuckle are hit hard, but our middle relief doesn't hold up.

I'd love to be totally wrong.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nessaralindaran. Show nessaralindaran's posts

To look at it a little more closely, I would add that it would help immensely against Cleveland in the first round to choose the short series (even thought his would help the yankees against the angels slightly).

Then in the ALCS, I think our series against the Angels will go 7, and would rather have game 7 at home!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UML. Show UML's posts

Exactly. This is a huge series for all of those reasons. I'm as nervous and skeptical as anyone, but what I'm looking to seethis weekend is some KILLER INSTINCT. Standings-wise, theSox are in the drivers seat and have a chance not only to essentiallywrap up the division, but to put the Yankees in peril of missing thepost-season entirely with a sweep or 2/3 if the Tigers can make arun. I for one, do not want to see the Yankees in the post seasonat all, not because I don't think the Sox can beat them, just because Iwant their doom sealed as early as possible. Sox are in positionto possibly take care of the Yankees, RIGHT NOW. Get rid of'em. This is a playoff series, as far as I'm concerned.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from elktonnick. Show elktonnick's posts

This series isn't as important as the next one these two teams will play against each other next month. That one will be the MUST WIN series, not this one. This one may have some influence on that one but it is far more important that the Red Sox go into that series healthy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zanti_misfit. Show zanti_misfit's posts

The season is now officially OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVER

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1393788. Show user_1393788's posts

Nice bullpen. Nice lineup. Keep acquiring players like Dice, WM Pena, Drew and Lugo the Loser and it will be another 84 years. You may be 41/2 games up, but when the season is over, yours will be too. Another sweep is in the air. If it wasn't for the first couple of months, the Sox would be 6 games behind the best in the East. The Sox look like a bunch of tired old men out there. Chokers & Cheaters, I feel sorry for the Boston sports fan. You may of beat us last Sunday, but we had the last chuckle, lost draft pick(s) and exposure. Go Yanks and Jets. Come on over to a winning side!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wayyyyyyyyyyyyyback. Show wayyyyyyyyyyyyyback's posts

It's all set up fellas. Wake up and smell the coffee.

This is all to get a rise out of us and collect more money for a close finish at the end.

These things are all put into place before the season begins.

Get a better hobby and don't waste your time with this foolishness. I know I'm done.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from aimbrig. Show aimbrig's posts

Don't you mean mismanage?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aimbrig. Show aimbrig's posts

Keep rooting for 2 losing teams! bet your a Knick fan also!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gabootwo2006. Show gabootwo2006's posts

Seeing how the Red Sox and the Yankees have split the first two in Fenway, I think that tomorrow's game is a foot on the throat of your enemy moment. The Yankees came to Fenway thinking sweep all the way to knock the lead down to 2.5 games and now if the Red Sox win tomorrow they will go 6.5 up on the Yankees and the magic number will be at 7. Nearly impossible for the Yankees to come back to win the division and therefore the Yankees will be looking at Anahiem/LA in the first round of the playoffs. A team that they really don't match up well against due to Anahiem's philosophy of aggressive play and always looking to take the extra base whereever and whenever they can do it. As for the Red Sox, if they win tomorrow they can realistically start planning to rest players in the lineup to keep them fresh for the playoffs. Therefore, a win tomorrow and the Red Sox are in a very good position and the Yankees are making arraingements to secure the Wildcard over the Tigers.

GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

Nobody has mentioned this, but Hale cost the Sox the win tonight. Number one, he shouldn't have sent Oritz to home plate. Second, with Youk on second and Drew on first, there was a pitch that got away from Posada by about 25 feet. Youk couldn't tell this from second base, but Hale - instead of motioning the runners to advance - stands there like a cigar store Indian. Go back and look at the play by pl\ay, and these two moves cost the Sox two runs.

I agree 100% on the potential Posada passed ball. Failure of the baserunners to advance definitely cost a run. But hindsight is 20/20 on sending Ortiz. It took one hell of a throw to get him, and unfortunately Cabrera made one. Assume Ortiz had been held at third; Drew then follows up with a perfect double play ball and the Sox do not score. Fortunately the perfect double play ball went right through Giambi, but you can't count on that, just as you can't count on Cabrera's perfect throw.

So I'll give our third base coach a pass on sending Ortiz, while disagreeing with the decision mostly because we can't afford for Big Papi to get banged up any further with close plays at the plate.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gabootwo2006. Show gabootwo2006's posts

Things to look for the rest of the season going into the playoffs for the Red Sox.

1. Can they right thier starting pitching woes outside of Beckett before the end of the season. Matsuzaka (last start was much better but still a lot of pitches) and Wakefield have struggled over the past month plus.

2. J.D. Drew has hit in seven straight games and have shown some signs of life to come out of his season long funk. Can the Red Sox keep his mindset and his recent successes at the plate going for the rest of the season going into the playoffs? \

3. Team has looked worn out at times in the past 3 weeks. How much rest can be afforded to the Youkilis's, Lowell's, Veritek's and Lugo's of the Sox while still keeping them productive going into the playoffs?

4. Eric Gagne - Can he come around enough to be a factor for this team in the playoffs or do they bite the bullet and leave him off the roster come the playoffs if he is still ineffective and non-dominant without clean innings pitched?

5. Ellsbury, Lugo one and two in the batting order experiment for a couple games to utilize the speed of them on the basepaths. They do attract a lot of attention when on and could be a factor for Ortiz, Manny (when and if he returns), and Lowell to see many more fastballs due to thier speed on the basepaths. Plus, Ellsbury is one of thier hottest hitters and Lugo has batted around .300 since the All-Star break......saving his season somewhat and still being productive.

6. To rest or not rest Ortiz a lot over the final couple weeks knowing that he is really hurting. Ortiz says he wants to play everyday and that giving him a lot of rest will throw off his timing. However, the knees and the shoulder is really affecting him and his power when they are intensely sore. What to do if your Francona especially if Manny comes back and the best fit for him is DH with Ellsbury playing so well in his place?

7. Will Francona resort to playing much more smallball the final couple weeks of the season with the youngsters filling in for the veterans?

Oh well, just random thoughts!!!

GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from walterjohnson07. Show walterjohnson07's posts

I can't give Hale a pass on waving Papi in on that play. I objected to it as the play was unfolding. Papi can't run, especially with his injuries. And Hale should know about Melky's arm. I've seen this happen way too many times. You can even argue about sending Hinske yesterday. Yeah, he bowled over Posada, but he was still out - not a particularly close play.

The previous 3rd base coach was terrible too...no wonder he's out of the organization now.

That said, I'm very happy about this win. Long overdue, and a huge after Friday's catastrophe.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

So he is resting players. .... AND ??

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pskillet. Show pskillet's posts

Not sure if anybody has discussed this idea on here, JUST how significant last night loss was. That loss (4-3 heartbreaker) gave the season series edge to the NYY 10-8. Not that I wish this on us, but if we somehow collaps and end the season tied with NYY then they win the eastern divison for the millionth time in as many years. I do think we can hold this lead. When all the writers and radio guys (WEEI) were saying it was over when we were up 14.5 games, I knew we would hold them off and win the division by less than 10 games and maybe by 5 or so, just because of the lineup Tore puts out there everyday is so strong. I just hope we hold on and then beat either LAA or CLV. If NYY does indeed win the wildcard, they will have a hellaof time with LAA, so it is no guarantee we will be playing in the Bronx in a few weeks. Not sure I can stomach another 7 game series with them, I break to many remotes.

Over and out from Fort Worth, TX

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from aimbrig. Show aimbrig's posts

The Red Sox series just gave the Yankees a shot in the arm. I fear that NY will win every game left and that the Red Sox with its incompoenent mamager will limp to 500 the rest of the season

This thing is not over. The biggest thing that worries me is Francona. he has completely mismanaged this team and the 14 game lead it used to have.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from aimbrig. Show aimbrig's posts

With francona running this team the sox will go 2-11

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from aimbrig. Show aimbrig's posts

For the billionith time , shilling lost the game!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from aimbrig. Show aimbrig's posts

Manny can play right field, he did it in Cleveland and he has a good arm.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannimota. Show mannimota's posts

The Yanks will go 11-2, that's the problem. I live in Baltimore and the Orioles will not win one game against the Yanks. The O's organization is a complete mess. Their pitching is decimated and, mark my words, the Yanks will win all 6 (including tonight's) games against the O's. The Yanks have 3 against TB and 3 against the Jays. Okay, for all you folks clinging the fact that the Yanks haven't played well against their division rivals, . . . well, the percentages will now work themselves out. The Jays might take 1 and TB might take 1, but those are the only 2 games the Yanks lose the rest of the way. That means the Sox have to go 7-5 and tonight's loss makes that all the more difficult to achieve.

Look: The 14.5 lead was always inflated and misleading. The Yanks were in disarray at the start of the year and they played horribly, but now they're at full strength and, honestly, as much at it pains me, I don't see anyone beating them. Yes, the Angels have given them fits the past few years, but don't think the Yanks are looking to exact some revenge. And they have the line up and (now) the pitching to do it.

You can't really blame Francona or the players. Yes, Francona is not a great game manager and he made some blunders over the weekend, but with or without Manny, we simply don't have the line up they do. The Sox #### want to win as bad as we want them to win, but the averages and percentages have caught up with them. I say we end up in a tie (maybe) and the Yanks take the division (again). So, bring on the Angels and hope the Sox can do it on the road. Anyway you look at it, in the end, the road to the WS goes through the Bronx (surprise!).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zanti_misfit. Show zanti_misfit's posts

Do not pitch Wakefield after Sept. 1

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mascmen7. Show mascmen7's posts

If Yanks tie Sox, Yanks take division. Yesterday Indians were only 3 games behind Sox who seemed to have collapsed playing their C lineup. No Manny, No Youkilis, No Lugo, Starting pitchers have collapsed except for Beckett. Bullpen never used except for Snyder and Tavares and Timlin. Better start praying or season is over. Need Joe Torre to decide who to pitch and when to remove them as Francoma is AWOL.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mascmen7. Show mascmen7's posts

Planes crash, Cardinals crashed, Red Sox plane is in a free fall piloted by a retarded hijacker. 3.5 miles to a crash. Yanks win a tie. Damon and Doug are closer to WS.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mascmen7. Show mascmen7's posts

I sign on to get some meaningful response to latest disasters but am disappointed as to the paucity of their views and unhelpful hate messages instead of constructive criticism of FO, and manager.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slimdrumplus. Show slimdrumplus's posts

September stretch or Yankee stretch? ... The Main Adversary is playing its best ball, 10 out of last ll games, while our Sox, Mannyless and Youkless are rapidly fading ... I have changed gear, now I am rooting to get the the magical number 5 against tigers to classify for Wild Card... So it is a rebuilding process to be in shape for post-season... Forget about league or WS, Sox will make a symbolic appereance in div isional play-offs, the whole club is out of gas or rather a sinking ship without a skipper...

After a reassuring victory against Yanks last Saturday, Sox have retreated two games in two days, tipycal behav iour of a fading team... More than new players next year, Sox will be needing a New Winning Spirit... Maybe this year┤s fiasco, will lead to a Tito fast getaway... If fading this year is the price, welcome FATE...

My God, are we sore seeing yanks only 3 games away!