1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dson95. Show dson95's posts

September stretch run discussion

Keep in mind that 162 games is a long, grueling season. Players tire, have injuries that they have to play through, and are mentally exhausted. It's even more difficult at this time of the year b/c of the added pressure of holding on to a playoff spot while the Yankees are playing out of their minds. Being in first place all season is stressful, isn't it? Unfortunately for the Sox, the Yankees are relatively healthy, flying high emotionally and primed for a takeover. The Sox still control their own destiny, though I don't believe they have the will to hang on. If they can't right the ship, it'll be a short post season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from vbmcm. Show vbmcm's posts

Since I have not grown into Red Sox Nation from my early days on and coming from a totally different kind of fandom (European soccer, Ultras) I might not get the whole point of Red Sox fans being the way they are, how they behave, especially on this board. Being a Red Sox fan since 2003 I can't compare to any other fan around here, but I try to suck it all in, be it Red Sox history, the games, or whatever.I also feel bad right now, because the once very big lead has shrunken to 3 1/2 games and right now it seems that they can't hold on to this lead. Of course it makes me sad and furious but I would never think of things that are written here day in and day out. Something like that would be unthinkable in "our" game, rooting for our teams. To be honest, that's one thing I really despise in US sports in general, but especially with Red Sox Nation, where cheers can turn into boos in a hurry.You gotta support your team until the end, no matter how they play, no matter the standings. It's all about the support, being loyal and defend it against others. This is the Ultrα way of life.And...I still believe they hang on to the AL East pennant! GO SOX!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from eoleary29. Show eoleary29's posts

Well, i saw this coming back in July when the entire media world started saying how the Yanks were done and the Sox had sewn up the division. Haven't we learned by now that nothing is every easy with this team? That we cannot ever, ever, ever, discount the Yankees?

It would not surprise me ONE BIT if they completely choke over the next 11 games and lose the division. There is no doubt we will make the play-offs, but by losing the division and most like the best record in baseball even if we hang on to the title, we give up home field advantage, and getting to set our schedule.

Luckily, Dice-K's start got bumped to Saturday so Bucholz is pitching tonight.... lets keep our fingers crossed. Im not conceding the division yet, but with the way the Sox are playing and looking, and the way the MFYs are playing, its hard not to see them losing the division on the last day, like they did in 05. It;s just so much worse coming from a year where they completely dominated the league, only to lose it in the last few weeks... but then again, thats Red Sox baseball for you.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Yes I was angry with Terry for the move on Friday and Schilling on Sunday. All short-term stuff. A game here or there and it would be over. I have nothing to say about Manny. Trade him this off season. For all his talent he is not a winner. But realistically ..... Theo is to blame. Our SS plays for the Angels and our CF for the Yankees. All those machinations were the result of those decisions to allow those guys to walk. The moves to acquire and dispose of the many players (i.e. Renteria, Marte, Crisp, Drew, Gonzalez ) and essentially all we netted was Beckett. (Was Theo even around for that one?)

The team, as constituted, isn't made for the long haul. The Yankee machine keeps coming like a marathoner gaining after the leader has hit the wall. I am not a Yankee fan, but right now I respect them.

Today...."it's up to Manny" how would that play in Foxboro??? Maybe he can't field. But why can't he DH or PH???? Youkilis is out....play Ortiz at 1b and DH Manny.

Hello.....McFranconaTheoEpsteinLucchinoHenry.....Is anybody home????

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyguy756. Show nyguy756's posts

To all you pessimistic Bosox fans: Lighten up!

I'm a lifelong Yankees fan and certainly very happy with the way they are playing, especially considering how the season started for them. Let's look at this realistically though. While the race has gotten a little uncomfortable for the 'Old Towne Team' I am not convinced the Yankees will catch the Sox for the AL East. Consider the following:

Starting Friday the Sox play three with Tampa Bay. Yes, Scott Kazmir pitches the first game for them but Beckett (the Cy Young winner IMO) starts for the Sox. Considering the disaster the Devil Rays bullpen has been this series clearly favors the Sox.

Also starting Friday the Yankees play four with Toronto. In that stretch they face Roy Hallady, Shaun Marcum, Dustin McGowan (yes, THAT Dustin McGowan) and AJ Burnett. Not an easy task. After that, the Yanks face TB with one of the games started by Scott Kazmir.

Do the Sox have issues? Certainly, but so does every other team with playoff potential. When a team is winniing those issues become less visible. I do think the Sox need to pick it up down the stretch if they want to get past the first round but with the way the schedule and pitching matches are lined up I don't see them losing the division.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UML. Show UML's posts

Man, bunch of doom and gloom on here. Listen: We'remaking the playoffs. The Yanks don't scare me. The wholeseason is a series of ups and downs, lest we forget. Yanks are onan uptick right now and Sox are hurt and struggling. Better thishappen now than in two weeks. Manny's coming back, Youk will beback, Wake is gaining his momentum. It's all about being hot atthe right time, NOT projecting this week's situation intoOctober. How are the Yanks rookies like Hughes and Ian Kennedygoing to fare under the bright, bright lights? I'll take ourchances. October's almost here, and we're there. GO SOX.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slimdrumplus. Show slimdrumplus's posts

Not done yet, Jam, our position for wild card is healthty unless meltdown is tsunami-like, a magical five could prove easy, even for Tito... My concern is how to get a skipper that rallies the club and give no chances to Manny's childish ideas... a clubhouse rebellion ( in the good sense of the word), that is, somebody like Tek or Papi shaking everybody around... If Sox play decent ball even playing below .500 we could make the play offs with a whetted hungry crew... just and illusion? I dunno but cant lose hope even with Tito and Theo computarized attitude...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wppats. Show wppats's posts

For all the young guys reading and writing...... 1978 BoSox-Yanks. I was in Ireland for the fall semester. Only news was via daily International Herald Tribune. I still remember the bench in Dublin where I read about about Torrez and Bucky F. Dent. Be grateful for NESN, ESPN, internet, MLB.com. I still haven't recovered. In 1986, I was...... HEY, forgetaboutit, this is 2007. No sweat.

See ya in October!!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aimbrig. Show aimbrig's posts

No, they probably lose, live with that. The Yankees aren't going to fold.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from aimbrig. Show aimbrig's posts

Can anyone give ma a rational reason why our genius manager has Brandon Moss in the lineup tonight instead of Kielty?

He has already left 4 runners on base, 3 in scoring position.

Meanwhile the Yankees are up 6-0.

The plane is going down and the pilot has no clue as to what to do.

he is going to manage this team out of the wild card and onto the golf course.

Absolutely disgraceful.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from walterjohnson07. Show walterjohnson07's posts

No, they're not going to fold. Last I looked, it was 6-0 NY in the third, with Moose having good stuff so far. O's have only 1 hit.

BLECH.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from walterjohnson07. Show walterjohnson07's posts

Great point on Kielty vs. Moss. The only logical explanation can be that Kielty tweaked something during the NY series. I thought he swung the bat pretty well when he was in there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from aimbrig. Show aimbrig's posts

This is absolutely the worst exhibition of baseball disgrace that I have ever seen. How can that idiot Francona leave gagne in when he had 2 on base and couldn't even find the plate.

Red Six fans are simply sick of this incompetence.

If management doesn't fire Francona after tonoghts game then they all deserve to be replaced.

This is disgusting

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WayneSwoop. Show WayneSwoop's posts

What a disgrace. Why couldn't he have kept Delcarmen in there for the 8th? Even if he didn't want to win the game with Papelbon getting 4 outs, after the walk and single and two outs he couldn't have gotten Okajima up in the pen?

By far his worst decision making in years. He was outcoached in the NY series and now this. Disgraceful.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from diane39. Show diane39's posts

Francona and Gagne should ride off into the sunset together. Disgusting.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from scofo. Show scofo's posts

Why would Francona put Gagne into this game? Seriously, can anybody answer that? I'm talking GAGNE.......seriously!!!

Nice pickup guys! Thanks for blowing the Division.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from scofo. Show scofo's posts

Wow.......nice outing Gagne....

And thanks for putting him in Terry. Apparently you are as stupid as you look....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mascmen7. Show mascmen7's posts

DAMON HAS LAST LAUGH. YANKS WIN AL EAST. THEO/GAGNE/FRANCOMA FORFEIT 4 GAMES USING GAGNE. PAPELBON/OKIJIMA HAVE RETIRED. HEARTBREAKING INCOMPETENCE BY TERRY FRANCOMA BRINGING IN GAGNE IN A 2-1 GAME. GAGNE WALKS 3, GIVES UP SINGLE AND DOUBLE AND TORONTO WINS 4-2. THIS IS THE MOST OUTRAGEOUS PERFORMANCE BY TERRY FRANCOMA. UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from f8ted. Show f8ted's posts

I was in Philadelphia when the Sox hired Francoma...the Phillies fans were laughing then. Typical Red Sox meltdown, I've been watching them for over 50 years so nothing surprises me...they have always been pretenders. No leadership, no field management, no clutch hitting.

The Yanks will be in first by the end of the weekend and they deserve it, they are playing to win, the Sox are playing not to lose. I actually thought it would take until the Twins series for the Sox to blow it. The Sox will assume their accustomed role as the wild card and be out in the first round.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slimdrumplus. Show slimdrumplus's posts

Agreed but where was Paps tonite, with 3 days rest, HE HAD TO MAKE AT LEAST 4 OUTS....

SO PLEASE JUST DONT MAKE ALIBIS FOR A SOULESS, HEARTLESS COMPUTARIZED AUTOMATIC PILOT GUY WHO HAPPENS TO BE MANAGING A MAJOR LEAGUE CLUB

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccmkeywest. Show ccmkeywest's posts

I can't believe the time and money I've wasted watching and believing in this team this season. I have never seen any sports team blow it like Francona and company. This is really really sad.

I'm cancelling my trip to Tampa this weekend.

A big fan in Key West FL is done with this exibition.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mascmen7. Show mascmen7's posts

Terry says Manny is ready but is afraid to play. Put Manny on field. He pulls this stunt every year in August. Forfeits game 4-2 to Toronto using Gagne who loses lead in 8th. What is going on in Terry's mind or does he have a mind.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dson95. Show dson95's posts

If they keep playing this way, a Wild Card is not even a given. Detroit has been playing really well and are gaining ground as well. Sox are still in the drivers seat, but they're putting on make up and talking on the cell phone during rush hour...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from howardfk111. Show howardfk111's posts

Half the Red Sox starting lineup was subs tonight.Have to rest up for the playoffs! Yankees had all 9 regular starters. Guess they're not as tired as the Sox. Must get Gagne ready for the playoffs- more important than winning the game. Francoma is handing the division to the Yankees! The reason the Sox lose so many one run games is that Francona can not manage in a close game. Look at tonight. Look at Sunday night. Look at Friday night. Francona is considered such a good manager by his players because he let's them do whatever they want. Where else do you get a one month vacation (manny) each year during your employer's most critical time? This is like the old country club Red Sox. Yes we one the World Series in 2004 but that was in spite of Francona. Handing the division to the Yankees this year is not acceptable. This is one fan who is not going to take it any more. I've been a Sox fan since 1964 and a season ticket holder for many years. I'm not going to renew. I've really had enough.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mascmen7. Show mascmen7's posts

I am cancelling my trip to Tampa Bay as Sox have blown it. Mostly because of Francoma, Gagne and Manny with his $20 million laughing on the bench. He could care less.