1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WayneSwoop. Show WayneSwoop's posts

September stretch run discussion

While the Red Sox will make the playoffs, despite subpar managing, the fact that Francona can't competently handle tight situations like we saw tonight, shows that we will likely be the weakest playoff team in the AL and make an early exit.

Forget about the 8th inning debacle, a mediocre double A manager could have navigated their way through that mess, bbut starting Brandon Moss over Bobby Keilty? C'mon Francona, take charge...enough of this whistling past the graveyard foolishness.

While great teams lose games, regardless of what time of the year it is, tonight was a blown game, pure and simple. And blown more by Francona than the now impotent Gagne who hasn't been the same pitcher since his ..ahem.. arm problem (read stricter steroid testing).

Shameful.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rangaprabhu. Show rangaprabhu's posts

Whats the story in the post season conference?
    I am curious to hear the logic behind this crap.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slimdrumplus. Show slimdrumplus's posts

Tito is a Manchurian Candidate, software, no heart no soul no brain, no spark, no hustle, no capacity to handle players like Manny, Hinske is his kind of player alongside Cora and JD, his latest jewel is Gagne...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from eoleary29. Show eoleary29's posts

There are no words to describe the vile hatred I have for Gagne... he has cost us the division, which I am now 100% sure we are going to lose after tonight's game. As for Francona, WHAT THE F*CK WAS HE THINKING??? He should have pulled that worthless piece of crap after the first walk. And where the HEL* was pap??? He hasn't picthed since FRIDAY!!! Why wasn't he in there, or ANYONE for that matter.

Tonight made me physically sick. I was waiting for the meltdown.... and want to go to Bristol and strangle every ESPN analyst who claimed the division was over back in June. I hate everyone

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from amcneal. Show amcneal's posts

Come on everybody......can't you remember ?

May 28 we were 21 games over .500.

What have we done for the last 4 months?

Our last hurrah was four straight against the White Sox.

We should not expect to be World Champs this year.

We should try to avoid total humiliation, but Tito is insisting

on it!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mascmen7. Show mascmen7's posts

I feel sick now as Francoma gave game away and season is ruined. FIRE FRANCOMA!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mascmen7. Show mascmen7's posts

Not with Francoma managing. Looks bad. I feel sick.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hammer1056. Show hammer1056's posts

Francona blew this one. How can he ever try to explain why he has no one warming up in the bullpen with Gagne in to pitch the 8th? Gagne has imploded more than he hasn't for the Sox. Why wasn't Timlin ready, or Lopez or Papelbon to get 4 outs? Does Francona realize his 12 game lead is now 2 1/2? I don't think so. Why would you experiment with the division lead on the line unless you are a total moron?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mascmen7. Show mascmen7's posts

I live in a condo in Ft Lauderdale, Florida and I noticed a 45 year old sitting by the front door whom I recognized as a criminal who keeps sneaking in to stay with his mother. He had a Red Sox cap on so I told him I root for the Sox and he told me Terry Francona gave him the cap. This guy was arrested and dropped off in Orlando by police. Wish Francoma would join him and let Farrell coach Red Sox. What an ugly and unnecessary loss 4-2 to Toronto. Real ugly managing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mascmen7. Show mascmen7's posts

When Russian communism supposedly collapsed, millions were distraught as they had believed in a lie that no longer existed. Now I feel the same. All the prayers, watching, caring for the Red Sox has ended like the Titanic at the bottom due to the evil and stupid captain of the ship. I feel sick.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkat. Show jkat's posts

i just don't get it - okay, you let Gagne pitch the 8th, but just like friday night with Oki, or with Schill, first sign of trouble you're out of the game? to watch Gagne load the bases, walk a run in and still leave in there is mind numbing - what the hell is he thinking? Oki gives up back to back home runs, puts runners on base, but because the plan was "if he gets to Jeter will go to Paps" did they realize if he got to Jeter they'd be in a crap load of trouble, especially if there are no outs? How 'bout "if oki pitches to three guys and doesn't get anybody out we should get him the F out of there?" How 'bout - "Schill you can pitch until somebody gets on base and then you're out" - how 'bout "we'll let Gagne load the bases and then we'll go to our rested bullpen? Jeez, let 'em rest in November - Paps isn't sharp because he doesn't pitch enough. Gagne shouldn't get the ball again unless their down by 7 or so runs - Theo wouldn't trade MDC for a bat so how 'bout pitching him once in a while? the sox are lucky the Tigers are losing or we'd likely be fighting for the wild card - I simply don't get it - seems pretty simple doesn't it?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Flash! Gagne dropped from playoffs Corey added. That's my hope, anyway.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

If folks think that this team, as presently constituted, and playing like crap is going to prevail in the playoffs they are deluding themselves. I'm tired of bs excuses and dreadful managing!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mascmen7. Show mascmen7's posts

Tonite the Sox had rookies in LF, CF, 2nd base. Where is Kielty, Clayton?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from howardfk111. Show howardfk111's posts

Francoma is on the verge of out doing Zimmer's 1978 crash. Never thought that it could be done but he's managed to do it. There are much better managers available than Francona. Of course, this front office is never going to hire a strong manager that might question them. The fans are the victims here, but the front office will never care as long as they are selling out every night. Tom Caron and Jim Rice admitted tonight that only the fans care about winning the division. The players and manager do not care. I for one am one fan who is not going to be duped anymore. I'm not renewing my tickets for next year and won't be chasing the sox around the country anymore either.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zanti_misfit. Show zanti_misfit's posts

God damn those bastards to hell!! Those goddamn focking Yankees will be in first place by Sunday.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkat. Show jkat's posts

dak - do you think my law suit for liver damage would have any merit? i've exceeded my usual 2 pint a day max over the past few weeks just to get to sleep at night??? gagne's blown 3 saves, tito lost 2 games this past weekend alone, which would have reduced the magic number to 2 - hell, i don't think they can win 9 games and it doesn't look like the yanks will lose for a while - they'll go to Toronto and eek out enough runs against Halladay and the rest to win the games the sox lose - the offense is woeful, the pen has been a killer when we need them most and tito has been....well, tito. the worst thing that ever happened to the Sox in the Francona era was Belhorn hitting in the 04 WS - somehow that justified tito's mindset of sticking far too long with guys - hey, can gagne play right field and bat? maybe somehow he and JD got mixed up when they left LA and JD should close and Gagne can hit?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkat. Show jkat's posts

...but it is Tito who for some reason allows a guy to not only blow the lead by walking in the tying run, but then leaves him out there long enough to tack on two more - It is Tito who leaves Oki out there after giving up back to back homers and then puts the next two batters on base before recording an out - I'm not a big league manager, hell, i haven't even stayed at a Holiday Inn Express lately, but I can see these things why can't he? As for Theo, I'd love to hear the explanation as to why he insisted Drew would succeed here (like Renteria) when EVERY other baseball guy in America knew it would be a disaster - does anybody know where John Henry was the night Theo was conceived?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkat. Show jkat's posts

Dak - my longevity as a fan doesn't quite equal yours but I've followed this team from the time Aparicio took over for Rico at short and Reggie Smith roamed the outfield - every loss still hurts - especially growing up a Sox fan in Yankee country - for that matter, in a Yankee household - it wasn't easy eating crow year, after year, after year, after year....as i recall it's better with a little hot sauce - looks like i'll be dining on the old black bird again this year -

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkat. Show jkat's posts

...unfortunately, in my opinion, Buchholz is only as good as the home plate umpire. with his big 12 to 6 breaking ball, a lot of umps won't give him the strike calls - he's likely to struggle tomorow - lead will be down to 1 1/2 as we head to Tampa to play with mister kazmir - we're dead....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkat. Show jkat's posts

...may visions of Yaz dance in your head...g'night - let's hope tomorrow the sky stops falling and we can move on... jk

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from walterjohnson07. Show walterjohnson07's posts

This is masochism, pure and simple, but that's RS baseball.

Gagne walks 3 and gives up 2 hits over the course of the inning - and Tito sticks with him throughout? With Paps in the bullpen? That's not managing to win. I hope it's not the coddling "let him show us what he can do, I believe in him, we need him" attitude that left him out there. You've got a depleted lineup battling hard all night against a very tough righthander, and you as a manager allow this to happen?

Was he saving Paps for the Rays???

Couldn't MDC, with the live arm, come out in the 8th, or was he good only for one batter?

Oh well, at least the Yanks had a tough time of it at home against season nemesis Baltimore.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from browner317. Show browner317's posts

Tito = bump on a log. how can he sit there nd watch Gagne implode. He says he want to see if he can rely on him, how about doing it after you clich the division. Stop resting the regulars and Manny needs to be traded (whould jeter ever sit out 20 games with a strained oblique.)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gianfran. Show gianfran's posts

Francona is a whimp. However, Theo Epstein is truly a Boy idiot. His hiring decisions stink. It's the fans' fault for glorifying him when Luchino let him walk. Luchino knew exacctly what his true capabilities were......unfortunately, in dissing Luchino and clmoring for boy wonder's return, the fans didn't. Now live with it.