1. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Shortstop / Julio Lugo discussion

Lugo has been on a alarming precipitous slide since midseason last year. One has to wonder if he's all done?? Not everyone enjoys the career we all generalize in our minds ...... that is the stready rise to about the age of 28 followed by the peak years 28-32 which then leads to the slow decline. Some guys enjoy great early careers and for whatever reasons fall off the face of the earth. Maybe his eyesight is changing .... who knows. All I know is a caller said it best this morning on EEI....to paraphrase he said that Theo tends to fall in love with OBP. After muching haranging about this earlier today John Dennis then coined the phrase JDrentalugo. Too much faith in this process probably lends to what is happening know. (I think it's great in assessing young guys e.g. Youkilis Pedroia et al versus their opposite .... Shea Hillenbrand.

Hindsight is 20-20 and the move made sense during the winter.....they simply did not want to invest 4 years in Gonzalez despite his favorable defensive skills. Their reasoning? Poor offense on a team that had been having trouble offensively the past two seasons since winning the WS. I applauded it (and I thought JD was an upgrade over Trot.) Now they may all come around but who knows.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I read or heard something back in the winter that Lugo was sick and had lost 10 - 15 pounds. I presume that he recovered put the weight back on etc. But maybe this has sapped him a bit this year? We'll have to wait and see.

I will say one thing....if he doesn't snap out of it and becomes our current version of Jack Clark he'll be a hellava lot harder to unload than Renteria was. Good thing John Henry has deep pockets.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cberbes. Show cberbes's posts

Ok, I guess this one will lable me as an "apologist"..........

You really can't blame Theo or James for either signing. While playing in the AL East, Lugo hit .288 with an OBP of .352 in 505 games. In 2006 he his numbers were horrible in LA, but his numbers in Tampa were great. A guy hits .308 in the AL East then moves to the NL and his numbers drop to .219. It makes sense that he needed to come back to the AL East.

There is no magic formula for deciding on what players to sign, but if you base it strickly off his BA and OBP, he looked like a good investement, especially putting a guy like that in the Boston lineup..surrounding him with solid hitters.

It isn't Theo's fault that Lugo hasn't lived up to his career numbers.

I don't honestly understand why people want to blame the GM when a player clearly isn't playing up to his career stats. How in the world was Theo going to assume Lugo wouldn't put up the same numbers? I guess it's just easier to blame Theo when a player doesn't play up to his expectations.

Everybody blamed Theo for trading Hanley for Beckett last year when Beckett had an ERA over 5....but now everybody is talking about how it was a good trade because the Sox got a young, solid pitcher in his prime. Some of you guys are just too fickle, and it is quite embarrasing. The first month and a half everybody was deciding who should get the Cy Young, Wake or Beckett. Now Wake is a joke who should be dumped......and last year Beckett was a bust.

I agree that they should figure out what is wrong with Lugo, because he is dead weight right now....and has been all season. But blaming Theo for signing a guy with a career BA of .288 in the AL East because he isn't playing well this season.....well, that's just uneducated and overly-emotional logic.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSFUK. Show RSFUK's posts

(Apologies to Spangler, didn't wanna get dragged into this argument in two threads, haha.)

Lugo's career Batting Average is .273 - his career OBP - .336

Not exactly inspired numbers for a SS - nor a lead-off hitter.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricehol. Show ricehol's posts

how low can he go? He has to turn it around, right?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricehol. Show ricehol's posts

I think he can afford one! Next time bunt, with his speed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricehol. Show ricehol's posts

0-4! Need I say more.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slimdrumplus. Show slimdrumplus's posts

Hope and pray!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricehol. Show ricehol's posts

I wouldn't want to be Francona or should I say Epstein!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricehol. Show ricehol's posts

Lugo and Crisp have so much speed but can't get on base (rarely). What a waste of speed. Think about the kaos if they could

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Wow. How refresing is it to find a thread where almost everyone is in agreement, even if it is to discuss how bad a player is.

Like a lot of people I was really in favor of signing Crisp when it was clear Damon was gone. But now the only good thing you can really say about Crisp is, IMO, he is a better CF than Damon. He's got zero errors this season, and has made some spectacular plays. But that's it.

Lugo??? I posted more than a month ago that he is a detriment to the team offensively AND defensively. I wanted so badly to be wrong. Hopefully I will be wrong, but there's no evidence at all that Lugo will pick it up. At least in the past four seasons they've managed to sign players who're at least good in one respect. Gonzalez is likely the slickest infielder since Ozzie Smith. Now, we've got someone who can't do either.

Nonetheless the Yanks will hit another skid here soon, and the Sox will start playing again.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from quint869. Show quint869's posts

He has far better than he has showed, but he is doing ok at Fenway, but for some reason he is horrible on the road this year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

Bench the bum. For goodness sake do not bat Coco and him back to back

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tyronefrommingeborough. Show tyronefrommingeborough's posts

You can wait but please don't hold your breath.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maddog2020. Show maddog2020's posts

lugo is not looking so hot at all. I wish he would break up the back to back order
    of crisp and lugo. Not much production at all.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Lugo needs to be benched. Cora needs to be the everyday SS with Pedroia at 2B.

What is it with the NL Shortstops not being able to produce in the AL?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Well said, JimRice.

On another note, someone earlier brought up Lugo's RBI #s. You're right---that's a lot for a leadoff hitter, but in how many situations were those runs "crucial"? He's got plenty of RBIs when the Sox have a 5 run lead. What concerns me is how many he SHOULD have, given the number of times he has left men on second and third, with fewer than 2 outs. It's embarassing.

He also knows Fenway Park; he used to kill the Sox here when he was with Tampa.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruck3. Show ruck3's posts

Interdivisional trades are rare but Tejada could dicate this one, promises, promises, promises but Oriole FO never delivers and Tejada started the spring with the threat for a trade unless something was done to change losing ways. Well Tejada's buddy Big Papi would love for him to come up 95 and play with passion. The question is can Sox FO pull it off?

Ruck3

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

I say we give Lugo more time. How many SS are we going to get rid of only to have them play better elsewhere. Let's have more patience with this SS than we've had in the past.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSFUK. Show RSFUK's posts

Theo has lost autonomy?

'Cause, I could swear when he came back from his Gorilla-escapade that he got a new title, Executive Vice President, extending him more powers in the Front Office.

Might be wrong, though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slimdrumplus. Show slimdrumplus's posts

It could happen if Sox are willing to "mortgage" part of the future...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

For the time being you deal with the Lugo situation the way Francona did last night: namely you play Cora! He's better than Lugo in the field and last night he contributed at the plate with a triple and a run scoring sac fly. An added bonus is that he knows how to bunt!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

I didn't like the Lugo signing. I can't understand why Theo appeared to love him so much- look at his career stats. He's never had the attributes of a leadoff hitter.

And to quote Junior .....He's "never had the makings of a varsity athlete".....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

he needs to see an eye doctor...why else has his hitting gone 'south" since last august? very wierd. i`d send him to see a very good eye doc if i were theo. and soon.

Good point. I alluded to this a while back and the fact that he had some sort of illness over the winter where he lost 15 ILBS. He's not the same guy. Drew just got hurt? I think. Oh well.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

I know Lugo wasn't given an official hit last night, but he was robbed by Varitek's baserunning blunder. He really did have a hit and hit the ball hard several times, but right at defenders. I feel that he is coming around because when Manny, Coco and Drew all started coming out of their slumps, it started with hitting the ball well, just not with results. If Lugo keeps hitting the ball as he did last night, he will soon get the results. Before last night every out was a strikeout, weak groundout or pop up. He wasn't making solid contact. Last night he made solid contact in every at bat.

He also looked good in the field last night as well.

Just wanted to state some positives that I saw in Lugo last night.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulfpt. Show paulfpt's posts

You're right - he did the same thing with the Dodgers last year. But that didn't stop the FO from getting rid of yet another perfectly good shortstop (A-Gon) because they saw I-don't-know-what in this clown.

Every shortstop they've traded away is making them look like idiots.

Sections
Shortcuts