1. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

Should the Red Sox trade Lugo in the offseason?

He's done. Nobody will take him unless the Sox eat his whole salary. There's only one team stupid enough to pay for an over the hill player. Maybe Theo can trick the Yankees into taking their spooge. Actually, he wont have to trick them. The Steinbrenners will fall for it all on their own. They're that dumb. It's like Dumb & Dumber III, Hal,Hank,& George.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from walterjohnson07. Show walterjohnson07's posts

It will be tough to do. I can see them giving him a shot to win his position back in spring training.

I think they'll hang on to Jed and possibly drop Alex Cora next season, and groom Jed as an eventual replacement for Lowell.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pppggg. Show pppggg's posts

Hey NYY27WSRINGS,

Why do you care who plays SS for the Sox?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from czap. Show czap's posts

Eat Lugo's contract. Lowrie has done a wonderful job in this his rookie year. Give him the job. Softlaw you are an idiot. I would rather get rid of you than anybody. I could just imagine what you said last year early about Pedroia.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cover2. Show cover2's posts

Lugo: Good Speed, better than average range, pull hitter with little power, makes LOTS of errors and has marginal plate discipline.

Lowrie: Decent Speed, average range, can play 3rd, SS and SB, good glove overall. Switch hitter with gap power and good plate discipline.

So why exactly is Lowrie a AAA level player and Lugo is an adequate MLB player as argued by softlaws? Lugo has not had an exceptional year in nearly three seasons, his best performance was part of a season while he was in Florida 2 1/2 years ago. Why would anyone think he is capable of more? 2 seasons is a pretty big sample size. As for Jacoby, he has dropped off this year - it is part of being a young player - teams learn how to attack you and you need to make adjustments. And he's stating to look better at the plate over the past few series. But unlike Lugo, Ellsbury is no where near the Mendoza line in hitting. At .260 - .270 he is still an adequaet leadoff hitter.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Softlaw is just making a financially-based arguement here. Its not that Softlaw thinks Lugo is actually better than Lowrie (I hope). But it is true that it is a no win situation. No one is biting on Lugo unless the contract is eaten. And thats a good chunk o change. So, what do you do with the guy? Dunno.

I mean, I like the Crisp comparison. I have always given the benefit of the doubt to Julio because I figured he was just struggling, as ballplayers will do, and sometime down the road he would regain the form he showed flashes of in Tampa. But, unlike Crisp, Lugo has really shown no hint along the way that he could. Crisp last year at least played stellar D in his season-long slump. Lugo just hasn;t put together any kind of stretch of playing that makes me think he could be any help to the club.

So, its either play a guy who hurts you team, or eat $9mil, which hurts your team. Being spoiled by the Red Sox wealth, it seems to me the best route is eat the money, and have Lugo as the highest-paid, if somehwat disgruntled, back-up SS and pinch runner in the league next year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[Quote]Bad thread. The Sox aren't going to make the same mistake twice, when it comes to eating money. Lugo is adequate, and it makes more sense to shop Lowrie, who is nothing special. We have to pay Lugo anyway, and one more year on his contract will get the numbers down on him, and he might have a big year so that we could trade him without taking a bath.

We need to look beyond Lowrie, not just Lugo. Pedroia makes people delusional. Lowrie could be playing AAA ball in the next year or two, and not in a rehab. He simply doesn't possess anything special, and 2b is the more likely spot for a player with no speed, range, power, or special high OBP/AVG hitting ability. Yes, he could fill in adequately, as he has been doing, but it makes more sense to trade him than it does to just write off Lugo and eat more salary. Look at Crisp, written off for the great new star, Jake, yet Crisp had two critical 2 out Ribbies today and is hitting nearly .290 and .350 OBP with .400 slugging, about 20 steals and about the same RIB's and homers, except he's homered from both sides. All in a part time role behind the everyday star, Jake. The point is that it's easy to get excited over a hot start by new guys, but look at the bigger picture. Had we given Crisp away when the entire world said that Jake was a star, we would have gotten nothing and had to write off salary. Now, Crisp's trade value is back up some and he only has a year left on his contract. If we want to go wtih the cheaper and weak hitting Jake for a season, we can now get a better return for Crisp.

Fans are about as smart as people signing adjustable rate 30 year mortgages on thousands of sqaure feet that they don't need an can't afford, driving SUV's because the herd thinks it's cool. Needless to say, a lot of American people are in big trouble and they deserve no sympathy for their greed.[/Quote]
    Come on Softy Lowrie is a better hitter right now and a better fielder than Lugo. Just because he is not an allstar does not mean you should hold on to your lesser but older player. Lugo won't be traded unless he is unwilling to be a backup in that case you have to trade him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nickarcese. Show nickarcese's posts

What we don't know about Lowrie, how will he hold up physically at SS over a full season. Will he wear down?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nickarcese. Show nickarcese's posts

What we don't know about Lowrie, how will he hold up physically at SS over a full season. Will he wear down?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lquintin. Show lquintin's posts

I think Lugo can payback Theo for giving him that big contract by becoming Theo's official chauffeur for the remainder of the contract.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sox-2004. Show Sox-2004's posts

No, they should keep Lugo and insert him back as the starter so we can continue to watch his once modest skills diminish further. It is refreshing to watch him as he is so consistent with his ability to hit weak ground balls to shortstop and carelessly throw balls in the dirt. Plus he has such a mean look on his face when he bats, which I am sure pitchers find intimidating given his muscular 150 pound frame.

I would suggest trading the promising rookie Lowrie. He's too solid defensively and shows surprising ability to drive the ball into the gaps and too often provides clutch hitting. He leads MLB shortstops in RBIs since the All Star break which is also a concern. He also comes cheap, which as we know is not what the Red Sox prefer at shortstop.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Why these people are looking too much at the errors? Remember Lugo had a great year last year where he helped his team's defense to win another WS titles.

Yes Lugo made alot of errors this year, but do not forget that he made alot of great plays such as he made couple nice back handed ground balls, run out to the middle of the outfield to make some nice short popped up fly balls, etc. Can Lowrie do that? Dont think so!!

To be honest with you, I do not ever think that Lugo is a bad defensive SS. I would take him at SS at any day. But you re right that he is a horrible hitter!!! Which that is the main reason why he is hurting the offense part of the team.

But now we all saw that Lowrie is already a major league level over-all SS, I would probably would like to see Boston to trade LUGO where Boston can keep freeing up more payroll money to try get top players. I know Boston should go after starting pitcher to block him to go to the Yankees. Still think Boston need another power hitter to protect Papi.

Still Boston dont have any room for another power hitter in their line up. Only available position is the catcher. I would never trade Youk to get Texeria cuz I would take Youk at any day as a defensive 1B!! Maybe to get a power hitter OF if Drew continues to have back problem!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from detourjazz. Show detourjazz's posts

SOFTLAWS: explainsomething to me: Lugo is Adequate. .. yet you want to trade Lowrie, so you're saying he's less than Adequate? AND IF HE WAS: why would he be continue to get the starts / playing time he has all season?

Crisp: HAS BEEN HOT, but what has he done before the last few weeks of being hot? Stranded runners? good defense but nothing else? ELLS has done his job, he gets on, and he has been scoring /stealing and adds SPEED to this team that they haven't had before .. don't blather on about stats and all this. . bottom line is. .if Crisp was better.. he'd of played more than ells. .. so Hmmm. .

BUT MY big question why you a hater.. of the new up and coming? why do you want OUR team to settle for the older / over paid. . AVERAGE at best players. . .
    IF YOU TRULY WERE a fan. you'd want better. . more exciting players to take our game to the next level, instead you disquise yourself as a fan, and as a knowledgeable person, by spreading around nonsense and hate to the new folks. . . I suppose you'd rather us keep Timlin OVER Masterson? is that right?

Since you wallow, and enjoy average-ness so much, why don't we bring back Millar and get rid of Youk? (he's FAR too exciting to watch this year). .

You, Softie, are just a Yankee Fan, ANTI Red Sox.. IDIOT. . . I'm tired of your posts, you bash and bash and bash, and can't see the good , the benefit, or anything in the good column with most of our new players. .GET OVER YOURSELF, and if you don't like us. . DONT POST

LEAVE!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DWIGHTRIGHT. Show DWIGHTRIGHT's posts

because nobody wants lugo, the sox are stuck with him for next year.he then becomes an expensive back up shortstop; a kind of player that a sox fan will hardly ever see. kinda like j.d.drew. lugo can earn his 9 million bucks by sitting quietly and keeping terry and j.d.company.
    btw, anyone who doesn't think lowrie is better than lugo is 'soft'laws in the head.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from keepmanny7. Show keepmanny7's posts

they have no choice but to let him compete for the job in spring training, hich he'll lose at. when lowrie does beat him for the starting job, they'll have to keep him as a backup which really sucks cuz he has no options. cora's no gem, but he can play 2B, SS, and 3B which lugo cannot. plus lugo is almost sure to be the sourpuss that most of the trolls figured crisp woule be this year. he just doeswnt seem to be a stand up guy to me.

being as defesively versatile as lowrie is, it makes much more sense to have someone like him as the back up....but he's great at driving in runs and lugo cant breach the infield most of the time. it looks like cora is out of a job next year due to contract-stifling necessity.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from keepmanny7. Show keepmanny7's posts

well, Lowrie somehow unimpressed his way into a shot at the ML level and has used his opportunity very nicely. i dont know why you insist a guy needs an abundance of either power or speed to play in the MLB, unless you're just some kind of roto-nut. if you can hit, field, run, and hit for power reasonably well, then you still have a good deal of value... especially over a guy who only does one of those things well. power doesnt just mean hitting HRs. lowrie has been getting clutch hits (something lugo never does), including lots of extra base hits and sac-flies in important spots since he's been here.

lowrie has twice as many RBIs as lugo in 50 fewer at bats and a higher avg. i agree that speed and plate discipline are what to look for in bottom of the order type shortstops, but lugo hasnt been getting on much, which greatly reduces SB opportunities (only 12 this year). so he's not making much use of either of those traits. he did have a bunch of RBIs last year, which is why you let them fight it out in spring training to see who's better suited to be the starter. thats no reason to write lugo off, but to trade lowrie at the beginning of what could be a good career just cuz he has some value so you can keep the guy with no value cuz you cant get anything for him is horrible business.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from keepmanny7. Show keepmanny7's posts

I'll tell you this, Lugo has way more talent than Lowrie has.

he's got more speed than lowrie. lowrie seems to me to be better at putting the ball in play and driving it. i dont know what youve seen from lugo to make you think he's definitely better than lowrie. just cuz ellsbury got off to a great start and hasnt been as good this year doesnt mean that it will be the same for lowrie. its really strange that you keep using ellsbury's hot start last year as proof positive that lowrie is no better than lugo.

then again, your purpose is to try and make people mad rather than give an actual opinion, so im probably barking up the wrong tree.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikegosox. Show Mikegosox's posts

'A few months does not a career make.'

What's with the Yoda lingo? Sounds like ignorant Troll talk to me.

I can't see Lowrie losing his job to Lugo unless he goes into total collapse. He seems to be very mentally strong so I expect him to hang with the big boys as the starter. Lugo will have to prove himself in spring training and will still be either back up or bye bye. He'll get playing time to rest Lowrie or when Lowrie plays 2nd to rest Pedroia next year (if he doesn't cry too much). Cora has to go bye bye. I haven't been that impressed with him for a few years now, regardless of his 'versatility' and gamesmanship. He is very smart and good but I think expendable. Once Lugo's contract is up or someone takes him in a deal the Sox can find a better backup for Lowrie or find someone who can replace Lowrie and make him backup. Lowrie cannot fill Lowell's shoes when he leaves. The sox will need another power hitting 3rd basemen or 1st (moving Youk to 3rd) when the time is right.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

I fully expect Lugo to kick Epstein into moving him out of Boston. And I also anticipate Ortiz knocking on the door asking for the same thing. A family member of Ortiz back in Wisconsin revealed that David was shocked at how the fans turned on Manny while knowing only half the story. He asked did these same fans who worshipped Manny think he forced the move for no good reason? One thing for sure, those two remarks are shots across the bow of Epstein. Ortiz is letting him know he's not a happy camper and he's not one of the sheep about to go along with the company line.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

A poster to another thread suggested trading Julio Lugo (2 years, $18 million remaining on his contract) for Dontrelle Willis (2 years, $22 million). Lugo turns 33 years old in November and Willis turns 27 in January.

I find the proposal strangely enticing, but the Detroit Tigers might not share my opinion.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from goznes. Show goznes's posts

Throw him in in a trade invloving other players and pay half his salary. Otherwise, keep him as a backup. Put him where he can do the most good.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Crisp has an option in 2010 for 8 million w/ a 500k buyout. I am also happy he has increased his trade value for this winter.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[Quote]SOFTLAWS: explainsomething to me: Lugo is Adequate. .. yet you want to trade Lowrie, so you're saying he's less than Adequate? AND IF HE WAS: why would he be continue to get the starts / playing time he has all season?

[/Quote]

Actually, that is not what he is saying at all. (And ummm... while Lowrie is clearly playing better, don't forget he is getting starts because Lugo has been injured, which he did not do from the bench.)

What softlaw is saying, and there absolutely is some validity to it, is that the Red Sox can clearly win it all with Lugo, yet trading him won't get you anything except an open roster spot. On the other hand, trading Lowrie will actually bring back something in return.

Not to mention, Lowrie's negligible league minimum salary does not limit trading partners, unlike Lugo, whose $18mill remaining scares off a huge chunk of the teams in MLB right off the bat. And even the ones who aren't scared are going to insist (1) most if not all has to be paid by the Red Sox or (2) the Sox have to take back an equally hideous or even worse contract deal in return. Or both.

Simple question - if you were a major league General Manager and needed a shortstop, and Epstein called you about Lugo, would you make an offer, or would you prefer Lowrie? And if you countered with an offer for Lowrie, wouldn't it be much better player(s) than you would give up for Lugo? Now, if you can use Lugo as a dumping ground for your past failures like Garry Matthews Jr, Dontrelle Willis, Jose Guillen, or Andruw Jones, you might not mind Lugo and cash. But which player do you think will garner more interest?

There is no "we're all set at shortstop, so let's shore up the weaknesses without touching it." If the team is better with Lugo and what you get for Lowrie than it is with Lowrie and what you get for Lugo, you seriously have to consider keeping Lugo and moving Lowrie. End of story. It's not like it is impossible to win with Lugo, and you only have to go back as far as 2007 to see that.

The object of trading is to make the team better, but too many think it is for running the undesirables out of town...

Sections
Shortcuts