1. You have chosen to ignore posts from terminator-x. Show terminator-x's posts

Significance of sweep

Yanks play tomorrow, and it's Mussina v. Verlander. If the Yanks lose, then the Sox go up by 8 games and win the division. There is no way the Yanks can win enough, nor can the Sox lose enough, for the Yanks to come back from 8 games down with only 31 games to play.

The only pressure on the Sox is to continue to good mojo from Chicago. They're finally attacking the ball and getting hits in clusters. No longer are men being stranded in scoring position. The Yanks' staff isn't as weak as Chicago's, but it is vulnerable. The other x-factor is whether our starters perform against an oustanding Yankee lineup in front of a hostile crowd. If we take 2 out of 3, we can essentially knock the Yanks out of playoff contention. It should be fun.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joecct. Show joecct's posts

Significance of sweep

Wasn't it Baltimore? IIRC, we stopped hitting the last month of the season and the O's blew by us like we were standing still.

First place only counts on one day -- the last one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ross62. Show ross62's posts

Significance of sweep

The pressure is relieved, not non-existent.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from eventaller. Show eventaller's posts

Significance of sweep

This Yankee team is not the pinstripers of 1978, who had a career season by the wiry little Cajun, Ron Guidry, who went 25-3 and won the Cy Young. They have no ace of the staff, and will not catch the Red Sox, who have their strongest starting pitching in two generations. Go Sox!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from papadan. Show papadan's posts

Significance of sweep

File this answer under " Mo - Men - Tum ". Pressure is good for the Red Sox.

The Yankees are hitting like the Red Sox did in 2004, and they will hit well in Yankee Stadium.

The Sox can't give them an inch of breathing room.

Keep the Pressure ON !!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from brarrell. Show brarrell's posts

Significance of sweep

I agree. This sweep of the other Sox is real nice. Of course, that team isn't a playoff contender. So, Sox should feel good getting a day off, but in no way can they relax until AFTER the World Series. Take nothing for granted. They could easily have only a 3-game lead, but they got hot at the right time, and the Yanks have stumbled a little. The Yanks, gotta hate em, but gotta respect their ability to surge and spank opponents. They won't just go away, yet. So, I say, knock em out real hard this week. Make the end of the season a final roll into the postseason. NO COASTING! Every outing should be played full-out, like we saw some timely hitting (you go, Pedroia!) and excellent pitching. Maintain. Maintain. Maintain. Make us proud!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from brucem58. Show brucem58's posts

Significance of sweep

I also want redemption for last years ugly 5 game sweep, GO SOX

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from heretoday. Show heretoday's posts

Significance of sweep

And perhaps a few times in 1974?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from heretoday. Show heretoday's posts

Significance of sweep

Ladies and gentleman, boys and girls, Law2005 has been traded to a NY Post chat board for nobody, because he's worthless.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mixndrink569. Show mixndrink569's posts

Significance of sweep

With the current lead and only 33 games left it feels very comfortable coming off this drubbing of Chicago being a huge bonus sweep. That said if the Sox can just play a few games over .500 say 19-14 the yankees would have to go 26-7 approximately, that leaves very little room for error. And if the Sox take 2 of 3 I feel very safe and if they swept the Yanks then it's a done deal. Just nice to finally see these guys hitting in bunches and hitting the ball out of the park. Nice to have Kielty and soon Ellsbury so that Sox can rest some outfielders down the stretch and Drew doesn't have to play so much, thankfully.....Go Sox.......

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jono39. Show jono39's posts

Significance of sweep

The pressure is less but there is always pressure when the BRS plays the Ys. If the world ended on Wednesday, we would still want to beat them Tuesday. But it is not ending and we want to win the pennant.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from heretoday. Show heretoday's posts

Significance of sweep

Law2005, it's past your bedtime. Your mother is calling from the basement door for you to shut off your computer and go to sleep. Goodnight dearest.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

Significance of sweep

My opinion is that the Yankees are very competitive and will give the Sox all they can handle next week.

A rare voice of reason on this board. The Sox are one of the best teams in baseball, but not the world-beaters RSN seems to think they are after beating up on the hapless White Sox. The Yankees are very beatable with their suspect starting pitching, but remain extremely dangerous with their killer (probably chemically enhanced) lineup. It's a game of inches, and while the Red Sox are likely to prevail over 162 games, anything could happen in the post season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbadoo. Show bubbadoo's posts

Significance of sweep

There is never too much of a lead when you're talking about the Yankees. I'd like to see another sweep!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenway14. Show fenway14's posts

Significance of sweep

i say lets bury the bastards a wise man once said if you can't kick a man when he's down you'll never have a better chance . neidermayer 'dead............ farquar.........

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from umpinchief. Show umpinchief's posts

Significance of sweep

Sweeping the Yanks would definitely nail the coffin shut!
    Short of that, the Sox need to build on the momentum of the
    whipping that they put on Ozzie's White Sox these last 72 hours.

GO SOX!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradsox04. Show bradsox04's posts

Significance of sweep

Yes, and going back even further, to 1978, I can never forget that the Sox had (I believe) an 11-game lead over the Yankees in August, and the Yankees tied them on the last day of the season, then came the night-marish home run by the light-hitting Bucky Dent in the one-game playoff at Fenway, and the Yankees went on to win the pennat, the ALCS, and the World Series.

So the Red Sox should never feel "safe" or relax until they mathematically clinch the pennant, whenever that happens. They need to continue to do what they have been trying to do all season: win each series they play and keep the pressure on the Yankees. Hammering the White Sox 4 games in Chicago was a real nice thing, but there is still work to do.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sbara1. Show sbara1's posts

Significance of sweep

Sweep & 2 NY losses were very significant.

A flush of the white sox and yankees indeed. NY is done since their magic number is 40 and not gonna happen even if they take 3 from Boston. NY needs to win 80% of their remaining games "NOT GONNA HAPPEN" and Boston losing more than 50% of 31 games.

Magic number i 25 baby and RS needs only 15 more wins at most and the Pennant race is over. For you trollies, RS will win more than 15 :-). Currently winning 80% of the last ten which NY needed to do and finish the season at but not gonna happen... BTW NY is playing at a 50% clip for the last 10.

Only thing riding on the RS vs NY 3 games is the WC, which by the way, the Sox can be the spoilers.

Deep pitching staff with young arms in AAA and young bats in the waiting. Sorry no collapse this year since thhe FC has that covered.

Nice weekend...very nice indeed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gabootwo2006. Show gabootwo2006's posts

Significance of sweep

The significance of the Red Sox sweeping against Chicago was huge because New York lost a couple to Detroit and the lead balooned to 7.5. Now where the significance comes into play is that if the Yankees were say 5 out....a sweep by them gets the lead to two and panic buttons all over Red Sox Nation would be going off. The naysayers would be all over the place and doom and gloom would take hold of Red Sox Nation and the Yankee thuggish Fans would have fun with all those who cheer for the Sox.

Now what I expect is that the Yankees will lose against Verlander and the Tigers tomorrow and the lead will be 8 for the Sox going into the series in the Bronx. The Yankees may even be 4 back in the wild card. Therefore, all the pressure will be on the Yankees to win, win, win the rest of the season.....and I don't think they have the pitching to hold up to do that. In addition, the Yankees have to play a series against the Wild Card leading Mariners next week and the Yankees will be hard-pressed in that series.

GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sbara1. Show sbara1's posts

Significance of sweep

Dude relax and get over your flashbacks going back to 1978. Geez wiz, I've been a RS fan since Doug Griffin played 2nd coming from the Hawaii Islanders and I don't measure 2007 team with one from almost 30 years ago.
    There will be no collapse, no one has been overused and RS has a the best starters and BP in the league not including the reserves in AAA. NY isn't going to reach 100 wins, 27 and 5 losses! I seriously doubt that will happen with this NY team. So sit back and enjoy before you get a stroke.
    Live and enjoy today and give up yesterday...it's not like you foot the team payroll and have anything to lose.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmdenucci525. Show tmdenucci525's posts

Significance of sweep

THE SERIES IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN,

BUT IT IS ALWAYS NICE TO BEAT THE YANKEES. GO SOX!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lynchyj. Show lynchyj's posts

Significance of sweep

I would not say that the pressure is off, but I feel a lot better about the division now than a week ago.

If the Sox just go 16-15 the rest of the way, the Yankees would have to go 24-8 just to tie the Sox. Niether is impossible, but neither is likely, either.

Best case scenario is keeping the lead large enough and maybe even clinch the division at home against the Yankees in mid-September. But I think the lead would have to get up to 12-14 to do that.

Beating the Yankees also pushes them back in the wild card race, so it will serve two purposes - push them back, and keep them home in October, crunching numbers to see if they should sign A-Rod. I hope they do; it will basically force the Sox to re-sign Lowell, which they should do anyway.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hattie45. Show hattie45's posts

Significance of sweep

A sweep will be sweet! The Yank fans came out of the woodwork thinking they were back on track! Let's knock them right out of the playoffs! Then next year A-Rod will opt out and go elsewhere. That's a big hole to fill and maybe he can come to Sox Land!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sand1990. Show sand1990's posts

Significance of sweep

I think you're right on!!! Go Sox!!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tryusg. Show tryusg's posts

Significance of sweep

It doesn't really take any pressure off of the Sox quite yet as much as it does add pressure to the Yankees. There is still a lot more baseball to be played and plenty of opportunity for the Yankees to come back, however, the results from this weekend definitely put more pressure on the Yankees as they must now win or sweep the series with the Red Sox in order to keep their division hopes alive.

Sections
Shortcuts