1. You have chosen to ignore posts from atmorn. Show atmorn's posts

Significant injuries in Boston sports history

Not injuries, but what about Len Bias and Reggie Lewis. Those set the Celtics back for more than a decade before they were able to recover.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slinberg. Show slinberg's posts

I don't know how anybody could forget our own Jerry Remy injuring his knee sliding home in Yankee Stadium in 1979 and being carried off the field by Jim Rice. He'd miss most of the next 3 seasons and recurring problems from it basically ended his career.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kcar. Show kcar's posts

As others have mentioned, you could add McHale and his broken foot, Teddy Green (I always thought he'd taken the runner on a skate to the head), Bill Walton, Tedy Bruschi, Normand Leveille, Tek's spiral fracture of the elbow in 2001, Harry Agganis...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from martinlomasney. Show martinlomasney's posts

Dick Pole took a line drive off his face late in 1972 season that ricchoceted into the third base foul territory. It may not have changed a season though the Sox did become the only team to ever lose a division title by a half of a game that strike shortened season.

Rico went flying to ten to his wounded pitcher who was sprawled on the mound and the Rooster is screaming at Rico to get the ball. It was both revealing and dramatic.

Probably hastened the end of Pole's career.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from morrison12345. Show morrison12345's posts

Regie Lewis???????

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpearson1016. Show cpearson1016's posts

What about Nancy Carrigan being smashed in the knee with a pipe just before the 1994 Olympic trials?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosco406. Show bosco406's posts

Good job. Let's not have any new ones for a long time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dougcorderma. Show dougcorderma's posts

Editors and historians, I think all these injuries and incidences all happened within the past 50 years. Seems like I remember seeing a picture of the injured Joe Cronin in the vacinity of second base, for the Red Sox, that ended his career, yet looking at a Red Sox yearbook back in the 1960's, I think he had the longest tenure of any Red Sox manager.

Also we once had a national league franchise here, the Braves, before they moved to Milwaukee, then Atlanta. We also had an NFL team here before the Patriots, the Redskins, before they moved to Wahington D.C. Any significant injuries during those times?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boo1215. Show Boo1215's posts

How about the scores of surgeries that Brad Park had to endure?

How about the complete crushing of Kevin Stevens' face? He was out cold on his feet before he ever hit the ice, and was never the same player.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from johng62. Show johng62's posts

I was beat to the punch on McHale and Teddy Green but what about Carlton Fisk in 1974 (& 75 though he came back for the 2nd 1/2 of the season)? They were in 1st place in '74 when he got hurt and ended up 3rd then it was after he came back that they really caught fire in '75.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sawdusty. Show sawdusty's posts

I didn't check all the entries, but how about Tom Seaver in 1986? He was a late season pickup (July, I think) who helped big-time down the regular season stretch. He got injured before the post-season started. Do you think a healthy Seaver pitching back in Fenway, up 2-0 would have been an improvement over Al Nipper or Oil Can Boyd? I do, now it doesn't matter as much.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stackenator. Show stackenator's posts

Normande Levielle and Pete Peters, early eighties it cost the Bruins the Cup. Teddy Green is another no-brainer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from adibened. Show adibened's posts

More Boston Bruins.. Teddy Green's head injury from stick swinging of Wayne Maki. Also Normand Levaille who's stroke is believed to be from a hard check earlier in the game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from superflygraham69. Show superflygraham69's posts

yeah you guys miss the 89 patriots preason game against the packers. that last preason game we lost 3 starters. TIPPET, RONNIE LEPETT, AND GARIN VERIS.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Loafasaur. Show Loafasaur's posts

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Dom Dimaggio having to come out of Game 7 in 46 for the Damon-armed Leon Culberson. Pesky DIDN'T hold the ball.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from geebs70. Show geebs70's posts

ya, robert edwards. he had a great rookie year. defintely was debilitating for the pats back when they had no offense, esp. running.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rokket. Show Rokket's posts

Hey AvramB-1! Good one! I remember Bob Windsor's injury well. Late October 1974. Blew out his knee scoring the winning TD on the last play of the game against the Vikings in Minnesota. The Pats were 6-1 at the time, but finished 7-7 because of a host of injuries, Windsor's being the most notable.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigWally. Show BigWally's posts

I remember Jeff Heath, a heavy hitting outfielder for the Boston Braves, who
    broke his ankle sliding home late in September, 1948 . He was replaced by Jim Riddle for the playoffs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tumblindice. Show tumblindice's posts

and then don't forget Ted Green of the Bruins....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yazwasmyfirstword. Show yazwasmyfirstword's posts

Normand Leveille

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stephenrhiggins. Show stephenrhiggins's posts

What about Dick Pole in the 1970s? He had a Bryce Florie-type injury after getting hit in the face.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mannytime. Show Mannytime's posts

Pistol Pete Maravich had a heart problem that he eventually died from I don't know if he was a celtic when he died though.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedHenn. Show RedHenn's posts

How about Matt Clement?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CDeziel. Show CDeziel's posts

What? Teddy Green doesn't count?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from vipersjoe. Show vipersjoe's posts

Normand Leveille - would have been a Great player - cant forget him

Sections
Shortcuts