1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sm8989. Show sm8989's posts

Significant injuries in Boston sports history

Another good one -- Johnny Damon's collision with Damian Jackson under a fly during the 2003 playoffs

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x45. Show sday4x45's posts

didn't tonya Harding take someone out.........lol

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxboy71. Show soxboy71's posts

Tom Brady sprains his ankle in the '01 AFC Championship. Bledsoe fills in admirably.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1353562. Show user_1353562's posts

[Quote]Does the Reggie Lewis condition count as an injury?[/Quote]

Reggie Lewis was the first name I thought of on this topic. I think he collapsed during a practice. His loss was certainly significant to the Celtics and affectged them for many years after.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from triangleslim. Show triangleslim's posts

Teddy Green! Absolutely one of the most horrific injuries ever....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 78sman3. Show 78sman3's posts

The most obvious one is that Joe Wood slipped and fell resulting in a sore arm the year after he won 34 games for the Sox. Second, Ted Green was hit over the head with a hockey stick by Wayne Maki. Green missed most of the season, and he was never the same again. Third Dom Dimmagio was injured in game 7 of the 1946 World Series. He was replaced, which contributed to a defensive lapse in which St. Louis scored the winning run.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from malzone. Show malzone's posts

Maybe not "significant," but I was there when Tony Muser knocked a liner off Dick Pole's face. If I recall correctly, that ball bounced past Rico Petrocelli playing third and into left field. I don't know if Pole was considered a journeyman or a potential star, but I do know he was never the same pitcher.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrserenoa. Show mrserenoa's posts

The Rockets shoulfer in 89 I think. It forced Lou Gorman to trade Jeff Bagwell for Larry Anderson. He left after throwing 300 innings in the bullpen warming up since Joe Morgan didn't know how to handle the bullpen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kennfong. Show kennfong's posts

What about Dwight Evans? He took a horrific beanball which nearly blinded him, and he was out for the rest of the season and wasn't right until the middle of the next season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehiggybaby. Show thehiggybaby's posts

I thought of Al Nipper getting his knee shredded (spiked) at home plate on May 20, 1986. Blood everywhere. It was a scary thing to watch from TV.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hers8lax. Show Hers8lax's posts

Robert Edwards!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chastemel. Show chastemel's posts

Bill Russell injures ankle during Game 3 of the 1957 NBA Finals. Had this not happened it would have been 12 titles in 13 years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SugarbeanKisses. Show SugarbeanKisses's posts

What about Jonathan Girard of the Bruins whose career was ended due to a motorcycle accident?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SugarbeanKisses. Show SugarbeanKisses's posts

Along with Bergeron comes the Alberts injury, both done by dirty hits from the Dirtiest team in the NHL the Flyers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbo58. Show zbo58's posts

1989: Any hopes the Patriots harbored for a return to the postseason vanished on September 1st. When in the last exhibition game, the Patriots lost key defensive starters Garin Veris, Andre Tippett and Ronnie Lippett to season-ending injuries.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DonnaC. Show DonnaC's posts

Someone mentioned Fred Lynn but failed to mention the cheap red shoes the Yawkey's had the Sox where that year. If it weren't for those shoes Lynn wouldn't have slipped into the wall so many times

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sc6218. Show sc6218's posts

I thought of these as I scrolled through the pics and all 3 have been mentioned in the comments, but Tek's broken elbow, Tedy Bruschi's stroke and especially Matt Clement getting hit in the face with the line drive (as he was never effective again after that, which is more than understandable) are huge.

The comment before me I think refers to Robert Edwards and is a great point- just imagine what he would have become if not for that rookie game injury...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tjwoods. Show tjwoods's posts

2007 Patriots Organization who suffered a collective brain embolism during Super Bowl Week.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from keeganme. Show keeganme's posts

Teddy Green's injury changed the rules and the way hockey was played in the future. That should have been up there with Tony C.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajstephans. Show ajstephans's posts

Harry Aggainis, even though he was not injured on the field should be remembered here. A young, gifted athelete; taken too soon.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarrodcg. Show jarrodcg's posts

robert edwards. rosevelt colvin

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimosullivan. Show jimosullivan's posts

How about Len Bias? Reggie Lewis?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rooster78. Show Rooster78's posts

How about Carlton Fisk's knee in 1974, after Cleveland's Leron Lee slid into him hard at home on a sac fly? At the time, it was thought the injury might be career ending. I was 11 then, and recall attending his first game back in 1975, when he promptly knocked one out of the park. It is amazing to think how many years he went on to play with a (somewhat) rebuilt knee! He was one of the all-time greats, and we got to see his best here in Boston. Fantastic.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from orrcheevers-cup. Show orrcheevers-cup's posts

what about len bias from the celtics?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rick8795. Show Rick8795's posts

Dwight Evans, 1978 season, got beaned. Don't remember how many games he missed but it definitely hurt the Red Sox. Everyone remembers how that year turned out.

Sections
Shortcuts