1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Signing Cassel

What is it that people don't get about signing Cassel for next year? It, more than likely, will not happen.

He is a free agent at the end of the season. There are three ways the Pats and Cassel can go on this:

1. They can extend his contract before the end of the current one. Unless Cassel is extremely happy right now and, with the expectation that TB will be back in 2009 and he will be #2 again, I don't see this happening.

2. They can franchise him. Not probable. If, by some chance they know in February that TB won't be back for 2009, then they most surely will. But as of now, he is expected back. If by February, this changes or the Pats know TB won't be ready at the beginning of the season, I can see them possibly franchising Cassel to have at the beginning of 2009 with the plan to trade him (if possible) by the deadline. I haven't read the CBA in a while and I don't think this is allowable for franchise players, but again, I am not sure. What I do know is that if they expect TB to be back and ready for 2009, THEY WILL NOT FRANCHISE CASSEL. Period. While some teams are going to offer Cassel, the free agent, millions, no team will offer two first rounders plus millions for Cassel, the franchisee - unless Ditka is back coaching. The Pats will NOT/NOT pay Cassel 10MM to hold a clip board.

3. They could compete for his services as a free agent. Yes, and after Cassel says no to a probable starting position and millions in guaranteed money to give the Pats the hometown discount and accept a few million to play backup, the Patriots will get all the little children in the world to hold hands and sing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

Signing Cassel

Quite a difference from 2 months ago, when a lot of people were calling to bench him. Cassel will NOT be back next year. As I stated in another post here, the happiest person in the world after Thurs. night game was his agent. But we'll have O'Connell. He looks like the future, and with a year under his belt, and the preseason, will be ready to go.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoLaN87. Show NoLaN87's posts

Signing Cassel

[Quote]Quite a difference from 2 months ago, when a lot of people were calling to bench him. Cassel will NOT be back next year. As I stated in another post here, the happiest person in the world after Thurs. night game was his agent. But we'll have O'Connell. He looks like the future, and with a year under his belt, and the preseason, will be ready to go.[/Quote]

Plus if we go back to scoring a million points a game like last year, I'm positive BB will give O'Connell more playing time than he did to Cassell last year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsman101. Show patsman101's posts

Signing Cassel

I was alittle spectical on cassel my self but as the season gose on he keeps getting better and better he has timeing problems on the deep ball but i think he is going to be a good nfl starter i would like to re-sign him because we don't know if tom is going to be ready the pats won't rush him in but i don't think he will re-sign he's going to go to vikings or jets .

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Signing Cassel

Enoch.... Just can't see Cassel in a Pats uni next year.

When Brady stepped in for an injured Bledsoe, all the same sentiments arose as we are seeing with Cassel. Like Brady, as Cassel gets more starts under his belt he gets better, as would any professional athlete gets when they are given playing time in the heat of the battle. One thing Cassel is showing, he is a better runner than Brady. Brady was already under contract and was not in a FA status when he began his run. Cassel, being a professional athlete, when someone offers the $$$ and you can now be the QB in the spotlight for a team who sees you as their starter, would you turn down such an offer just to stay a bench warmer to a HOF QB? Cassel has had three + years to learn from one of the best QBs in NFL history and it is time for him to take that knowledge to the bank. Pats nation sees another 3 - 5 years of Brady time, let's see the team bring along another quality QB as back-up and let Cassel have his payday!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Signing Cassel

I'm also a little "spectical" about the Pats' willingness to pay Cassel what some numbf*ck team like Detroit might; as I am equally skeptical about Cassel';s willingness to stay in town for peanuts and a mop. But I am intrigued by that notion of all the little children holding hands. Do you think maybe the Pats could get them to sing "Rattlesnake Shake" ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Signing Cassel

If cassell keeps improving, gets the pats in the playoffs, and miraculosly to the super bowl, he will be the hottest free agent QB in a long time. well, he probably already is the hottest free agent QB right now

he showed alot of teams thursday night he can play, if he's not held back like he was for the past 8 games. to be honest the Pats should run the no huddle the rest of the season, they looked more comfortable in it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Signing Cassel

[Quote]I'm also a little "spectical" about the Pats' willingness to pay Cassel what some numbf*ck team like Detroit might; as I am equally skeptical about Cassel';s willingness to stay in town for peanuts and a mop. But I am intrigued by that notion of all the little children holding hands. Do you think maybe the Pats could get them to sing "Rattlesnake Shake" ?[/Quote]

LOL

Right after they do "Tube Snake Boogie" - just wondering of those two songs which euphemism is more transparent.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

Signing Cassel

I see Pats franchising then trading Cassel to get maximum value out from him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Signing Cassel

If "the knee" (i.e. Brady) acts up, the Pats will be left with a QB prospect with no experience, once again. Effectively, this puts a team that was designed to win now out of the hunt. Of course, it also implies that most of the team is overpaid because they'll be just playing it out...they could do that with any lot.

So, the long-term prospects of Brady's durability are now in question. Can he play for a full season. Will he?

IMO, the bad signs for the team were: the Pats slaggin' off at the end of last season; swaggering into the playoffs and not completing their mission; losing many of their pre-season games the way they did. Ultimately, the main man went down and out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Signing Cassel

Cassel is gone after the season, and he should be, for his sake. He either leaves as a FA, or the team puts the franchise tag on him and trades him. They do not have to trade him for two 1st round picks if they do that...that is the price teams need to pay if they sign him as a franchised free agent. If they trade him, it can be for anything, and would likely be for a 1st or 2nd round pick.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Signing Cassel

[Quote]If cassell keeps improving, gets the pats in the playoffs, and miraculosly to the super bowl, he will be the hottest free agent QB in a long time. well, he probably already is the hottest free agent QB right now

he showed alot of teams thursday night he can play, if he's not held back like he was for the past 8 games. to be honest the Pats should run the no huddle the rest of the season, they looked more comfortable in it.[/Quote]

OC McD kept it simple on purpose - to minimize mistakes. Part of the problems with the Red Zone offense was the play calling by OC McD - the other part was inexperience by Cassel. Now is the time to let Cassel spread his wings a little. We really need to lengthen the field a little by going deep when opportunities arise.

Plus, we need some help in the secondary. We're still giving up long plays or giving up yardage during critical times.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Signing Cassel

m

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Signing Cassel

Without getting into rules and regs for contracts and trades, I don't see the Pats just letting Cassel go if he continues to have such a great season. But trading him to detriot for some major picks! The national media is talking about how good Cassel is, unlike the situation when Brady first came on the scene. The reason being because the Patriots weren't the "hated team" back in 2001 as in 2008, and nobody was waiting for the Patriots downfall. Now with Cassel playing well, not only people in NE are watching, but the entire NFL world has well. A 1st overall pick would be sweet, but I'm sure the Pats would trade down, either way it's fine with me.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Signing Cassel

[Quote]Without getting into rules and regs for contracts and trades, I don't see the Pats just letting Cassel go if he continues to have such a great season. But trading him to detriot for some major picks! The national media is talking about how good Cassel is, unlike the situation when Brady first came on the scene. The reason being because the Patriots weren't the "hated team" back in 2001 as in 2008, and nobody was waiting for the Patriots downfall. Now with Cassel playing well, not only people in NE are watching, but the entire NFL world has well. A 1st overall pick would be sweet, but I'm sure the Pats would trade down, either way it's fine with me.[/Quote]

And just how do you propose they trade him when he is a FA at the end of the season?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Signing Cassel

How about Cassell showing his gratitude to the team that coached him up for 4 years and gave him his first chance to play since high school signing a 1 year contract for 3/4 million with the stipulation that he can be traded only to teams he approves,maybe San Fran and his contract becomes immediately renegotiatable.

Same chance as a winning lottery ticket?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Signing Cassel

People seem to be misinformed. They cannot trade Cassel. Once the last game is played he is no longer under contract. You can't trade a player whose rights you do not own. If they choose to, they can tag him in Ferbruary. Then a team would have to either reach a trade agreement or give up two first rounders and come to terms with Cassel. And I believe the price of a franchise QB is now $12-14 million. Somehow I don't see them doing this unless they feel Brady won't be back for next season. Cassel would be foolish to stay. Already he will be able to command much more than BB will be offering for #2 money. And somewhere like Detroit, SF, KC, Minnesota (and maybe more) would give him the chance to be the starter. Why would he want to stay a backup, albeit on a winning team? Cassel is sitting in a very lucrative position right now. And if he takes the team to the postseason, and maybe wins a game or two, who knows what GMs will be offering? If we hear they tag Cassel this spring it will only mean one thing (that which we would LEAST like to hear). Tom Brady won't be ready for the 09 season. So I wish Matt luck (hopefully in the NFC), and hope O'Connell can learn as well as he did in the next couple years!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Signing Cassel

I was hoping that the Pats Brass could trade Cassel and get good value draft picks, but I now realize that this is not going to happen. QBs that can win games will always get jobs and money from some NFL team. Wilfork and Mankins should be extended and the team has to decide what to do with Seymour. I could see a scenario where the team trades Seymour and drafts some D Linemen. I still see the Pats as stocked at DE with Warren and Green, however, they could draft some one like Tyson Jackson (3-4 size 6'5 295 lbs) in the draft. Point is at some positions the Pats could look very diifferent interms of PT in '09. Cassel played this beautifully, if he wins more than 50% of his games some team will give him some serious money to start and I agree with anyone that mentioned Detroit or KC as places. Although I believe that if Cassel is thrust into a QB savior role he will struggle. NE is a great team and you probably can't say the same for the type of team that would try to sign him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Signing Cassel

[Quote]While I may not Agree with some of your other post, I do agree with this one! Well Written, and Hopefully it will make people undstand and come to realize that Cassel wont be back next year.

Good Post![/Quote]never say never.i cant say he will be,but ive seen the pats do things to make you scratch your head.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Signing Cassel

[Quote]

And just how do you propose they trade him when he is a FA at the end of the season?[/Quote]

If Cassel put up awesome numbers and wins a superbowl, then I do see the Pats Tagging him and trading. A superbowl QB is a very hot commodity and easily tradable for a high 1st.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

Signing Cassel

They will franchise him because there are no projected QB coming out of the 1st round of upcoming draft. In this regard, Cassel's value is at a maximum.. Franchising is an ideal situation because then you can have him play a few games if Brady's return is delayed, then when Brady is ready to return, off Cassel goes, but then our picks would be from the '10 draft, not the upcoming draft. I think this depends on how they feel about O'Connell's status in Feb, as well as the projected position players coming up in the draft, and those that are projected for '10. Plenty of factors in play, but if they franchise Cassel, they can take their time, and get in position to make the best move for the team.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaack. Show jaack's posts

Signing Cassel

sign him and trade other teams for linemens we lose nothing.. we may get two players for cassel.. we need upgrade our linemen

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Signing Cassel

It seems that a Cassel trade would involve the tag and a sign and trade type deal. I can't see this happening; teams may want to give up picks, but alot (as Always) depends on the asking price. I still believe that Seymour, Wilfork and Mankins are key off-season priorities.....along with the return of a healthy Brady.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Signing Cassel

[Quote] actually EVERYONE was saying they should CUT him out of camp and keep Gutierrez, lol. Same people now saying how awesome he is. He's had ONE good game and it was a great one vs the Jets, but other than that he's been ordinary and mediocre. He has upside no doubt. I have always liked him as our backup and always felt comfortable with him as I know how great of an athlete he was in high school and at USC. I hope we keep him, but he's going to be looking elsewhere to start, possibly in San Fran with a new coach and system going in down there next year after they get rid of Martz as the OC. I would think the Dolphins and Jets would both be players for him too as well as the Chiefs as Thigpen is their starter and he's like Cassell, he's going to test free agency. Wonder if the Jags are happy with Garrard too. Vikings could use a qb. It would be nice if we lose him or trade him to get him out of the AFC East to the NFC would be great.[/Quote]

The thing I like most about Cassell is that his progress has been forward. He seems to have a bit more each week. None of this 1 step forward and 2 steps back. He just keeps improving.

To clarify, I am not saying that he is awesome or the best to ever play. I am saying that he clearly has a high skill set and is very capable of being coached and applying information learned from game experience. It is good to see.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Signing Cassel

They won't tag Cassel then use him to start the season, then trade him in October. I believe once they sign the tender it's a done deal. They would have to trade him before training camp, I'm not sure of the actual date. They won't tag Cassel unless Brady is not going to be ready to go. There are quite a few contracts up in the offseason, and more after 09. Let's just wish Matt a great career somewhere else...preferably the NFC!