1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mudbugger. Show mudbugger's posts

Sox Farm System Way Overrated!

[Quote]The red sox 2008 draft was one of the best in baseball. They signed three pitchers with huge upside and one of the top athletes in the draft (kelly). they have gone for pitching in the draft and free agency to find position players. they added the japanese prospect and another great international (Pimental). they have catching prospects also. When your drafting 28th every year, its hard to get the top guys, but the sox have done a great job drafting and developing. Bucholz/Bowden/Bard/Hunter smith will all probably pitch in Boston this year. New blood. Love it.[/Quote]

Bill, I would agree with you, but the Red Sox failed to sign one person who I think will be a stud 5-6 years from now, a Alex Meyers from Indiana. I think he enrolled at Vandy. Other than that...it was a great draft.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Some choose to post mundane notes while others try to sensationlize issues. "Way Overrated!"?
    I might say you overstate a rhetorical point. Some will play in the majors this year who aren't even on the Top-100 list.
    I challenge you. Tell me why Teagarden makes the list (as a slap hitter at best) while Bard, Reddick and Tazawa don't?
    Considering Exposito's upside would you care to wager a McDonald's happy meal on who makes it bigger? Exposito or Teagarden?
    In other words...gimme a break. Way overrated? (chuckle...)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Yeah it's hard to say that the farm system is overrated with the number of players that have moved through in recent years, including guys that were traded. Because of that, maybe at the top level, it's gotten a bit thin, but go deeper and it's still very strong. Many of these guys could be ready in two years when there becomes a need.

Think about it. If everyone stays healthy, and that of course is no guarantee, and if you look at the contracts, there really isn't any great need for 2009 and 2010 (assuming Bay is re-signed), except perhaps for catcher.

It's hard to say that the farm system hasn't been doing its job. It has produced enough players to step in and fill holes, along with having extra players to trade.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from youngdavid74. Show youngdavid74's posts

The farm system is not overated. Keep in mind our 2008 dralft was very good and all of those players are not ranked high yet. Guys like Masterson, Bard, Anderson, and Reddick all came in the 2006 Draft. Hagodone will probably be ranked in the top 100 next year came from the 2007 draft. Although Outside of Hagodone 2007 doesn't look as good. Pimental, and Weiland will be the next Sox Big time pitchers to come up after Tazawa. In no way is our Farm system overated.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[Quote]Gets mighty tiring hearing that EVERY player in the Sux system is the next coming Hall of Famer.[/Quote]

How's that "retirement" thing working out for ya? You know, the "Haven't Won a Championship" retirement? And yoiu were SUCH a good player, too....... Shame. A HUGE shame.........

LMFAO!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I exaggerate of course, but seldom is heard a discouraging word about anyone.

Every pimply-faced kid who throws a one-two-three inning is on the verge of joining the rotation.... Every shortstop who fields a ground ball or two is the next No-mah; the propaganda gets a bit tiring...It's as if everyone in the system is on the verge of being an All-Star, when we all know that simply isn't true.

Almost everything the RS minor league has touched has turned to gold. It's okay to admit it, everyone else in the nation is aware of it. Youk, Pedroia, Lowrie, Ellsbury, Lester, Masterson, MDC, Paps, all in the space of about 3 years, and mostly less. And that still doesn't count Buchholz, Bowden, Bard, Anderson, Reddick, and Tazawa, who have looked pretty good.

Naturally, not everyone becomes a star, but to deny that our minor league system is on fire is silly, imho.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Isn't it a bit unrealistic to expect the Red Sox farm system to churn out 2-3 all star/MVP level players every year for the rest of your life?

Even last year's rookies were Ellsbury, Lowrie and Masterson (pretty good rookie trio, each one's rookie year about as good as the rookie Youk's)....who knows who (if anyone) will break through this year?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpupp1. Show bigpupp1's posts

"who knows who (if anyone) will break through this year?"

Probably not as many "impact" players as we have seen in recent years. Obviously Bard and Tazawa are candidates to get a call up this year. I wouldn't rule out the possiblity of Hagadone, Reddick, and Anderson all getting a cup of coffee in September.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

"Impact" Players.

I am sorry but have you seen Bard? The kid could absolutly be a impact player, what if Pap is hurt? What if they have a few big injuries in BP and he throws 30 innings, similar to Chamberlin did for NY in 07 Season.

Buccholtz and Bowden could also have a impact on season.

Not sure if any of the other players are ready or not but considering last seasons success and history of Farm from this FO there is likly to be a impact player emerge. One name, Pedroia. Was he a impact player or projected to be? You just never know.

A scouting report is not the end all be all.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

Isn't Anthony3063 the same Moronic idiot that posted the Sox would be sellers come July? Obviously still trying to get attention.
    Look dude, go spoon with Leon if you haven't already.
    Get ready for his whining cause noone gives his post any credibility. Gee, wonder why?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[Quote]Gets mighty tiring hearing that EVERY player in the Sux system is the next coming Hall of Famer.[/Quote]

No one said that, Bags. But, the fact is that the organization produced guys who are doing it now, and doing it well. Find another team that has done as well recently. I'll wait...Thought so.

There might be a lull as the roster can only hold 25-40 depending on the time of year. So, while it irks you, the farm has produced quality players...don't forget Hanley Ramirez!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

No one said that, Bags. But, the fact is that the organization produced guys who are doing it now, and doing it well. Find another team that has done as well recently. I'll wait...Thought so.

AKA, when reality hits the fan. The haters can voice their generalities all they want, but when it comes to facts, they need to face reality. 40+ years of being a RS fan, and this is by far our most productive period for our minor leagues.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[Quote]

There might be a lull as the roster can only hold 25-40 depending on the time of year. So, while it irks you, the farm has produced quality players...don't forget Hanley Ramirez![/Quote]

Good points Jim. If you dont mind me adding...Its also noteworthy that the Sox have had so much sucess in spite of always picking towards or (in the case of 2005 and 2008) at the very back of a draft. That makes it even more remarkable.

Sections
Shortcuts