1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anthony3063. Show anthony3063's posts

Sox Farm System Way Overrated!

I was on the Baseball America website and out of the TOP 100 Prospects only like 2 were Red Sox, ( Bowden at 83, Anderson at 17)..

Yes, I know we have graduated a prospects in Youk/ Pedroia/Paps/Ellsbury/Masterson but I think this rating lists shows our system is drying up quickly and we are being surpassed by almost all other teams!

We severely lack power hitting prospects and catching prospects .

The Sox, I feel need to trade some older veterans for some youth that possess such attributes..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I'm not worried about power hitters and catching prospects. The organization has produced some excellent pitching prospects.

Which "older" veterans do you want to trade?

Mike Lowell? forget it his contract makes him unattractive to small market teams.

Jason Varitek? Come on , now...he tried the free agent route and nobody was interested.

J.D. Drew? They couldn't trade him for a dozen bats, nobody will take on his contract for a guy who is always hurt.

Big Papi? I don't think so, he is not going anywhere.

Brad Penney, John Smoltz? They didn't sign these guys to use them as trade bait. And their value right now is close to nil, until they prove they can still pitch effectively.

Kevin Youkilis? Not likely , he's in his peak years right now.

Tim Wakefield? Uh, he's a bargain, and still very useful, and who's he going to get us in a trade anyway?

There really is very little interest in the trade market for veteran players , most of the teams that are dealing prospects and draft picks are small market teams looking to cut payroll , they don't want any of the higher priced veterans.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Naybe most of the Sox best prospects are at the Single A level and not yet qualifying as top 100.

The fact that the Sox have progressed all these prospects to the majors over the last few years...:
    Youkilis
    Pedroia
    Lowrie
    Ellsbury
    Lester
    Papelbon
    Masterson
    Delcarmen

...means that a lull in top prospects is OK because the major league roster has players young enough to remain the nucleus of the team for the next 3-5 years.

Let's see what the farm looks like two years from now. Although I do acknowledge that the farm is lacking power hitting and catching. Part of this is becuase the Sox FO focused on drafting pitching and SS.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Zilla , 99% of a great post. I love your words on this forum, and even moreso on the Bruins forum down below...But i have to disagree with 1 point:

J.D. Drew? They couldn't trade him for a dozen bats, nobody will take on his contract for a guy who is always hurt.

JD Drew is not always hurt. He wasnt hurt in the 2007 ALCS when he hit a grandslam that turned it all around and got us to the world series. He also wasnt hurt in the 2008 ALCS , when he was our best player.

Its true that it has become unfair to expect more than 125 games / year out of JD Drew, but its equally unfair to assume hes not going to be right there in the postseason, as hes been one of the most clutch players on teh sox over the last 2 years.

Ill take 125 games and a postseason from JD Drew (even at 14 mil / year) over 99.9% of OF in the MLB.

Myths:
    Braun /> Drew (Drews OBP dwarfs Brauns)
    Soriano /> Drew (Soriano is just as injury prone and isnt even a .300 hitter when healthy)
    Vlad /> Drew (Vlad is washed up)
    Quentin /> Drew (See Soriano)
    Bay /> Drew (debatable, as Drew is better defensively and is more patient, but Bay gets points for being one of only a few guaranteeds in our lineup)...

Talent-wise, Drew is a top 10 OF, and he's always there in the postseason reminding us why (even when playing hurt).

Honestly youre a smart guy, and I trust that you wouldnt rather have an AROD (stays healthy usually, but stinks in the postseason) over a guy who has to miss 1-2 months a year, but is nothing short of a postseason hero.

Remember , without JD Drew, we would have gotten blown out in teh 2007 and 2008 ALCS.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Everybody lacks power hitting and catching prospects. And the focus, as I understood it, was on developing pitching prospects. The feeling is that pitching is extremely expensive and that a team needs 3 top notch pitchers to be successful. Besides, if you developing your pitching prospects the right way, they'll have longer careers with fewer injuries.

By developing pitching prospects, it frees up a lot of money to go after a power hitting free agent.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[Quote]Zilla , 99% of a great post. I love your words on this forum, and even moreso on the Bruins forum down below...But i have to disagree with 1 point:

JD Drew is not always hurt. He wasnt hurt in the 2007 ALCS when he hit a grandslam that turned it all around and got us to the world series. He also wasnt hurt in the 2008 ALCS , when he was our best player.

Its true that it has become unfair to expect more than 125 games / year out of JD Drew, but its equally unfair to assume hes not going to be right there in the postseason, as hes been one of the most clutch players on teh sox over the last 2 years.

Ill take 125 games and a postseason from JD Drew (even at 14 mil / year) over 99.9% of OF in the MLB.

Myths:
    Braun > Drew (Drews OBP dwarfs Brauns)
    Soriano > Drew (Soriano is just as injury prone and isnt even a .300 hitter when healthy)
    Vlad > Drew (Vlad is washed up)
    Quentin > Drew (See Soriano)
    Bay > Drew (debatable, as Drew is better defensively and is more patient, but Bay gets points for being one of only a few guaranteeds in our lineup)...

Talent-wise, Drew is a top 10 OF, and he's always there in the postseason reminding us why (even when playing hurt).

Honestly youre a smart guy, and I trust that you wouldnt rather have an AROD (stays healthy usually, but stinks in the postseason) over a guy who has to miss 1-2 months a year, but is nothing short of a postseason hero.

Remember , without JD Drew, we would have gotten blown out in teh 2007 and 2008 ALCS.

[/Quote]

Well Drewski, thanks for the kind words, and I am so sorry to be tough on someone who must be one of your favorites.

But , I was a big supporter of Drew and I love what the guy can do when he is healthy. An excellent talent with more natural ability than I ever had.

I just wish we could get through a whole season without him having to sit out with a bad back, flu symptoms, headaches, dizzyness , etc.

I am not saying J.D. is not a very good player, but his contract is too rich for most teams and this alone makes him very difficult to move in a trade as the small market teams just won't pay that much for an outfielder...look at what happened with Manny, who is a lock for the Hall of Fame and seldom misses time injured.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from badscience. Show badscience's posts

IMO, the way to rate the farm system is to look at the players that have passed through the system into the majors. Other above have posted our recent graduates, which are pretty impressive in my estimation. You also have to remember that the Red Sox haven't exactly been getting the number 1, 2, 3 etc. picks because of their success. (e.g. Tampa Bay got multiple #1 picks and many 2,3,4 picks over the last few years and have built and excellent young team.)

I think you're missing the point of the farm system, it's not to have the top prospects, it's to have great major leaguers. Boston wins!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from czap. Show czap's posts

Who cares what you or Baseball America thinks. Every year the farm produces a couple key major leaguers. Bard, Bowden, Anderson, Reddick etc. are next in line. Not to mention Buchholz will be ready this year. Pay attention to the major league roster. Pedroia,Youk,Masterson,Paps,Lowrie,Lester and Ellsbury are prime examples of the farm in recent years.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Don't you worry. There might be a little gap but there's a whole other wave of talent that we'll be talking about in a couple yrs. Keith Law is a former MLB scout who writes for ESPN. Here's his recent take:

7. Boston Red Sox: Probably an aggressive ranking, but their 2008 draft class has the potential to be one of the best. They have become more aggressive at going over slot to obtain premium players in the draft and have become more active internationally. Their system probably had more prospect depth on 2008 short-season rosters than any other but Texas'.

Doesn't sound to me like "our system is drying up quickly and we are being surpassed by almost all other teams!"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil. Show snakeoil's posts

Actually you missed one. Daniel Bard is also in the top 100. Which considering the number of teams in MLB is about what you would expect.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maddog2020. Show maddog2020's posts

bagwell - go and read the yankee boards (yes network) they still rate melky has next will mayes - yeah yankee fans never over rate there players

give me a break

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

I had to read this twice to understand that Drewski would rather have JD Drew for 125 games than A-Rod for a whole season. I'm going to read it again just to make sure that I can dismiss any thought of seeing any sense coming from Drewski in the future.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maddog2020. Show maddog2020's posts

willie hayes mayes - or willie mays or billy mayess
    does it mater ed edsam - because you know it is true with yankee fans
    does phih hughes or ian kennedy ring a bell

or have you blocked them out. can't trade hughes or kennedy for santana
    we will be ripped off

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 13lucky. Show 13lucky's posts

[Quote]Gets mighty tiring hearing that EVERY player in the Sux system is the next coming Hall of Famer.[/Quote]

A simple solution for you ... go read some other newspapers if you don't like the Red Sox or hearing about their farm system.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maddog2020. Show maddog2020's posts

after reading the crap you usually post edsam44 - my posts are intelligent

let me get the basis of your rants
    the red sox suck the yankees are great pretty soon you will trotting out the old line we got 26 how many do you have

and I thought you were not going to bother with me anymore

hey your still not as bad as ted yaz

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from czap. Show czap's posts

Edsma, glad to see you spell intelligent right the second time. Dont you have a board over in juice land. Get lost fool.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from billy13. Show billy13's posts

The red sox 2008 draft was one of the best in baseball. They signed three pitchers with huge upside and one of the top athletes in the draft (kelly). they have gone for pitching in the draft and free agency to find position players. they added the japanese prospect and another great international (Pimental). they have catching prospects also. When your drafting 28th every year, its hard to get the top guys, but the sox have done a great job drafting and developing. Bucholz/Bowden/Bard/Hunter smith will all probably pitch in Boston this year. New blood. Love it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

If the Yankees have 13 of 25 from home grown talent then the next step is to look at results. Three of those guys have been around since 1996 . . . . .this is more about todays world.

The Red Sox have had: 3 Top ROY of year canidates 06,07.08 a first and two second place winners, Pap would of won in 2006 had he not been injured.
    I dont believe any Yankee's ~ homegrown have won a MVP in 20 years. The Sox actually have two.

The RS Farm delivered a WS victory while NYY's have not in the past several years.

If you want to talk about 10 years ago that is different then talking about today. Today 2009, the Red Sox have clearly developed better talent and used talent to get key players to propel them to championships.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ibbubba. Show ibbubba's posts

[Quote]Gets mighty tiring hearing that EVERY player in the Sux system is the next coming Hall of Famer.[/Quote]Tell me who has said every single Sox player is the next coming Hall of Famer?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from badscience. Show badscience's posts

I'd say that's a good indicator of the success of the Yankees farm system. Is your implicit point that the perception of the Yanks being a FA built team is not accurate?

[Quote]
    with that being said (bad science)-does it say anything that the yankees will start the year w/13 of their 25 man roster coming from the "farm"? (or doesnt that count)
    [/Quote]