1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayalmeida. Show rayalmeida's posts

Sox to open '08 season in Japan

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red.sox/view.bg?=articleid=1044663

I don't like it. The yankees did this a few years ago and it took them a month to recover!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from woobie2. Show woobie2's posts

I'm on your side. I remember when several of our players played in the World Baseball Series... they finished weakly and the WBS was mentioned as a probable cause. Six months of regular season play is taxing enough without starting the year on the other side of the earth and trying to acclimate yourself for the following two weeks. Bad move by ownership but this sounds like something Lucchino would love.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from daisukeinochi. Show daisukeinochi's posts

I understand all your concern...

But I am very excited as a Japanese Red Sox fan!! I will definitely go to root for Sox in Tokyo Dome!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nodoubt51282. Show nodoubt51282's posts

This is not something the Red Sox ownership and others decided on. They are not in favor of it at all. It is the MLB people who want this to happen but all the Red Sox have to say is no and the MLB won't make them do it.

I too think it is a wicked bad move on MLB's part because it can really screw up a team and we do not want that to happen to the Red Sox they are getting better and better every year. I agree also the Yankees did horrible after they did something like that. Although we are better than the Yankees I think it would be too hard on the players to have to travel that far.

I say that the Red Sox opt out of doing that so that they can stay on top.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from daisukeinochi. Show daisukeinochi's posts

>This is not something the Red Sox ownership and others decided on. They are not in favor of it at all.

I think this meets Red Sox ownership's views. Because this timing... They acquired Dice-K for a large amount of money before 07 season and will open the next season in Japan. Maybe this is a part of the plan of Red Sox's launch into Asia.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cup1938. Show cup1938's posts

great for the players spring training is too long and now they get out of about 10 day's of it and have a mini vacation besides bring on the geisha girls and 2 victories

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sbrown2k. Show sbrown2k's posts

It doesn't look like it could have been planned better. This is all completed before a regular season game would normally start. The Sox and naysayers are creatures of habit and don't want be taken out of the normal routine. But, The Red Sox have 2 Major Japanese Stars on the team. I don't know if anybody noticed, but Red Sox Baseball is a big deal in Japan these days and this is huge for those fans... If the games were in the middle of the season, I'd definitely be against it. And this has absolutely no comparison to the WBC as some try to relate. Play Ball!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mpc755. Show mpc755's posts

I disagree with the arguement that it is a 162 game schedule so a couple of games in Japan won't hurt them. I think just the opposite is true. The baseball season is a huge, long, grind and this will just add to it. All of the travel and all of the games are going to take a toll.

From what I have read, the player's union had to approve this.

It is good for baseball, I just hope it doesn't have any long term affect on the players. I hope it doesn't come back to bite them at the end of the year. They already had to rest several players due to them being tired. Yes, some of their being tired was due to their actually playing the game, but those long flights aren't going to help.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfong. Show mfong's posts

To get from Boston to Tokyo, it's about a 12-15 hour flight, depending on where you make your lay over.

Then from Tokyo to Oakland, is probably a 14 hour flight.

It's just that from LGA or from ORD, you're flying north, so you have a shorter route, but traveling from Oakland, it's more of a straight line to Japan, so you can't really take any shortcuts by flying north, then back down.

I hope this helps.

I don't know about baseball players, but I know if I get into Japan, I need some time to get over the jet lag.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dlowe23. Show dlowe23's posts

its all about the money but the thing that upsets me is that they will be leaving spring training 10-14 days earlier than usually i only say that because i have been going to fort myers since 1991 i would rather spend my money there and get up close and personal with the players instead of spending a kings ransom on games at fenway park the person i feel sorry for is the one who has booked his trip from march 20th and on because he is screwed because the red sox wont be there well atleast there is the twins 8 miles away and plenty of places for happy hour

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from locuswx. Show locuswx's posts

My guess is Beckett pitches the opener with Dice-K going in game 2. Oki gets into one or both games. Schilling, Buchholz, Lester and Wakefield (or at least 3 of the 4) probably don't make the trip.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayalmeida. Show rayalmeida's posts

Not sure what would happen with dice k PITCHING.. Dice K's wife is due to have a baby around that time

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mick1874. Show mick1874's posts

This is definitive proof that the Red Sox FO cares a hell of a lot more about making money than winning games. They are willing to sacrafice an entire season to make a few extra bucks in Japan. It's a disgrace.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rfarring. Show rfarring's posts

i don't like it. let's take a conservative look at this. say it takes us 20 games to recover from the trip, which is reasonable based on the Yankees struggle from their trip. if we don't go, perhaps we finish those first 20 games at 12-8. if we go and the travelling takes its toll, we maybe finish those first 20 games 8-12. that's not a huge swing, but as we all know 4 games back in the loss column at the end of the year can mean the difference between home field advantage throughout the championship series' and not making the playoffs. and the upside if we do go? additional fans in Japan? an edge signing a Japanese player? i think the only edge in signing a professional player, no matter what the country of origin, is $$ in the contract.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnq8. Show johnq8's posts

As a New England expat living in Japan, I am excited they are coming. I did the Boston-Tokyo filght this summer, 2 hour flight to Minneapolis, and a 12+ hour flight to Tokyo, so it is around 14 hours in the air Boston-Tokyo. Yes, jet lag will definitely be a factor as there will be a 14 hour time difference between the East Coast and Japan.

As a business move, this is the time to do it. All during the World Series, I was following the games on the internet, as were my Japanese colleagues. Matsuzaka and Okajima are beyond household names here. The Red Sox will see interest rise in the team in Japan, and make boatloads of money to boot.

It will be tough on the team, no question about it. It looks like they will get some extra time to rest before jumping into the season, hopefully the trip won't have the negative results like the Yankees had a few years back.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dieselh. Show dieselh's posts

Concerns a lot of people have on Sox traveling to Japan are overrated. If prepared and conditioned properly, the jet lags aren't too bad. I have done a lot of trips between Boston and Japan, and I usually don't take any days off for adjustment (life is too short!). Besides, the Sox will be traveling on first class. Those first class seats turn into flat beds and I bet they are more comfortable than most of our beds.

Bottom line is, the Sox players approved the trip, so they definitely are confident on defending the championship starting in Japan!

Go Sox!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from skankees929. Show skankees929's posts

I agree! This officially SUCKS in every way, shape, and form! It's not only STUPID, it's counterproductive to the players on every level - which, I guess, is the same way of saying "It's Stupid".

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from philly-sox-fan. Show philly-sox-fan's posts

As a 49 year old lifetime fans of the Sox I am pleased that the pool of players in Japan now appears open to MLB and specifically our Red Sox. I love what Dice-K and Oki have done and will likely do again in the coming years to help us win. This follows the opening door (albeit far too late and in far too hostile a manner) to players from the negro leagues and eventually Latin American players as well. The game only gets better as new talent enters MLB.

That said, starting the season in Asia immediately following a WS victory as well as raising the prices on already out of sight ticket prices is perhaps one of the more questionable decisions I have ever seen coming out of Boston. The families that have supported this team and made them a part of their family vacations for years are getting screwed out of what would have been a well deserved fan reward. Not to mention the economic impact made on the Fort Myers. The "locals" seem to be the losers in this one.

It almost seems that with the current ownership not leaving Fenway for a larger park we are seeing the first "arena baseball" team being created that increasingly will only be personaaly experienced by those who are wealthy enough to afford the very high cost.

I hope I am wrong.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mascmen7. Show mascmen7's posts

Red Sox have destroyed the 2008 season in one day, November 15, 2007 A.D. when the Sox decided to forfeit first place in AL East to Yankees.
    1. 2004 Yankees opened in Japan and were a wreck for ONE MONTH just like the Sox flew from Boston in August about 3am to Oakland and lost most of their games for ONE MONTH!
    2. Cheap Sox could give Lowell what he wants even if they have to eat the latter year because of failing production. This Lowell loss alone will kill Sox in 2008.
    3. Loss of A-Rod means Sox will remain an unwanted stalker of Yankees for years to come.
    While Sox sleep, Yanks rule!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lkoller. Show lkoller's posts

anyone know how to get tickets in Japan yet?