1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Super Bowl Analysis: Who Wins and Why

I was going to add my two cents on the SB in the thread that has already been established. But, since it was started by the troll Leon, and was supposedly confined to "bettors only", I decided to start this new one.

This game reminds me of the SB played a couple of years ago between the Chicago Bears and the hated Indianapolis Colts. Pats fans wanted the Bears to win...and really strained for "reasons to believe". But, everybody knew that the Bears had no chance.

The Steelers are this years' Colts. Pats' fans will surely be pulling for the upset. Though much was made about what a great upset it was when the NY Giants beat the Patriots last year...a Cardinals win over the Steelers would be a greater upset. Heres' my pick:

I. (14-4) Pittsburgh Steelers @ (11-7) Arizona Cardinals (+7):

A.) OVERVIEW:

1.) Arizona Cardinals:

The Cardinals have been both good and lucky in the postseason. They played well in wins against Atlanta, Carolina and Philadelphia. Yet, the Cards were also extremely lucky in the following respects:

1.) Though the Cards drew the 4th seed in the NFC after posting a relatively lowly 9-7 record, they only had to play on the road once...and none of their games were played at cold weather locales. In the one cold weather game that the Cards had just prior to the playoffs, they were blown out by the Patriots in Foxboro. Fortunately for them, the only cold weather team to make the playoffs which had a higher seeding than theirs, the defending SB champion NY Giants, were upset by the Eagles;

2.) They drew fairly weak playoff opponents. Though Atlanta had a good season, rookie QB Matt Ryan was not ready for prime time in the big-time. In Carolina, Panthers' QB Jake DelHomme practically handed them the game with a five (5) interception, one lost fumble disaster of a performance. Against Philadelphia in the NFC championship game, the Eagles for some reason, didn't show up in the first half. Though they spotted the Cards a huge lead, the Red-birds were barely able to hang-on for the win.

2.) Pittsburgh Steelers:

Thanks to a fine regular season, the Steelers earned the second overall seed in the AFC, and a first round bye. Their road to a championship cleared considerably when their nemesis, the New England Patriots, failed to make the playoffs despite an 11-5 record, and in the aftermath of the Colts 23-17 OT choke to the San Diego Chargers. Nonetheless, to their credit, the Steelers took full advantage by dominating both the Chargers and Ravens, to capture the AFC championship...and earn a trip to Tampa.

B.) Team Analysis

1.) Arizona Cardinals:

The Cards are a dome team, that basically lives and dies with the passing game. Their rushing attack was one of the worst in the NFL, until the playoffs began. Now, they sport a running attack that is at least efficient, though unspectacular. But, there are really three main reasons why the Cards have gotten to the SB. The first is that their OL has been able to provide excellent protection to their immobile QB, Kurt Warner. The second has been the emergence of their defense...and its' ability to pressure the opposing QB, and create turnovers. The third reason has been the amazing play of WR Larry Fitzgerald.

2.) Pittsburgh Steelers:

The Steelers have the best defense in the NFL. Its' a ball-hawking, hard-hitting crew that pressures the opposing passer, and creates turnovers. On offense, Ben Roethlisburger is one of the most underrated QBs in the game. Much like Terry Bradshaw in the 70s, the majority of the credit for the fine play of the modern day Steelers goes to the defense. But, Big Ben can get it done when necessary...and has gotten better at managing a game. Hes' tough to bring down, and makes big plays when forced out of the pocket. A healthy Willie Parker should also make life a bit easier for the big guy.

C.) Who Wins and Why:

On offense, I expect the Cardinals to try to use their running game, screens, swing passes to RBs, and slant patterns over the middle to slow the Steelers' blitz. To win this game, the Cardinals must play with a lead, and cannot settle for FGs. They must score at least 28 points to have any chance of winning.

On defense, I expect the Cards to concentrate on shutting down the Steelers running game, and taking away WR Santonio Holmes. It is imperative that, on passing plays, that they keep Ben Roethlisberger in the pocket. If they can do that, and apply some pressure, they may be able to force a couple of turnovers.

On defense, the Steelers will be blitzing DBs and LBs from every possibile angle to try to get at the statue that is Kurt Warner. If they can consistently get to Warner, turnovers will rain...and this game will become a rout.

On offense, look for the Steelers to heavily employ their RBs and TE in the game. Hines Ward is a tough guy...but his knee injury will likely limit his effectiveness. Pittsburgh will try to employ their running game to control the clock, and keep Fitzgerald and company off the field.

So...who wins? The Steelers' defensive pressure will be too much for the Cards. Big Ben will run his offense efficiently, if unspectacularly...and the Steelers will win rather easily. Big Ben will be MVP.

PICK: Steelers 31, Cards 20. That said, I hope I'm wrong. I'll be wearing red and rooting for the upset.

Thoughts? Predictions?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

I 'm taking the Cardinals for two reasons: 1. I hate the Steelers. 2. I said so.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarveMaster. Show CarveMaster's posts

Ward was out most of the Ravens game, and that really didn't stop the Steelers offense. The have many other weapons on offense other than Ward. Plus, the Card's defense shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as the Raven's world class defense.

Big Ben and Parker will shred the Card's so called defense, and the Steeler's defense will give both Warner and Fitzgerald an express trip to the nearest emergency room.

Final Score: Steelers 42, Cards 6 in a Super Bowl that only Steelers Nation will think was exciting to watch.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I'm gonna stick with Arizona winning this game 24-20. Throw all the stats and tendencies and schemes out the window. If the Cardinals take any kind of lead in this game, the Steelers are toast. The Bitchburgh offense is beyond weak and Roethlisberger is the poster boy for Super Bowl flops -- yes, his team (with a generous assist from an officiating crew that was apparently watching some other game) beat Seattle three years ago, but they won in spite of Ben, not because of him or even with an assist from him. The possiblity exists that Arizona will gag on its own spit -- I think most of us have been expecting that for a month now, but as I hate Bitchburgh and all it represents, I will conveniently ignore the likelihood that the Card's are going to wake up next Sunday, realize where they are, and come crashing back to earth.

And plus besides, clearly Jesus is on Arizona's side.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Belenus:

It seems that a lot of posters are picking the Cards. I wonder if they're picking using their hearts or their heads? I wonder if they would bet the same way that they're predicting?

As for me, I too dislike the Steelers. But, unlike the Indianapolis Colts, I respect them. What really sickens me is seeinng so many people down here in Texas walking around wearing Steeler jerseys.

So...for what its' worth...GO CARDS!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffg316. Show jeffg316's posts

IT will all come down to ball control. If Pittsburgh can't keep the ball in their hands. Zona wins this easy. I believe they found how to run edge effectivbely and this opens up the PA pass wich Warner is one of the best at.

Also, FItzgerald is playing at such a high level right now Pittsburgh is gonna need 3 guys just to contain him. You can Blitz Warner all you want, but he is one of the best at getting the ball out vs. the BLitz and if you leave fitz out in single coverage and blitz, he is gonna burn, and burtn you bad. also, don't forget they have that other guy on the other side of the field.

Mike Tomlin has a lot to plan for and the there is more pressure on the Steelers to show up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Belenus:

In the 4 years that I've been posting here, I've never seen a reference to the Teutonic Knights. Maybe you should draw pictures...as our friends from Indy who post here probably think that you're referring to a some kind of a new drink...LOL!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSQB12. Show PATSQB12's posts

It's going to be like a Steeler home game for them. My brother lives in Clearwater and says the Black and Gold is everywere down there, and much more comming in everyday. 80% Black and Gold 20% Red. Unlike most I think The Steelers will get this done. Cards fold, they lost some game's this year Big time by Points. Steelers D will get to Warner.

STEELERS 24

CARDS 17

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I think the Steelers will win, but I am routing for the Cards.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Belenus:

Yes...this should allow Toga, Patsgoindown, and my good friend Underdogg, a/k/a "m", to understand...LOL!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Umie79. Show Umie79's posts

I hate to say it.....but this could be one of those boring Super Bowl blowouts that have littered this game several times.

Something on the order of 41-3.....and I don't mean the Cardinals....lol.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Belenus and All:

The best chancce for the Cards to pull the upset is to watch the film of the Patriots' 41-27 2004 AFC title win, at Heinz Field. Spread the field...use 4WRs. keep an eye on Steve Breaston...he is the Cards' Wes Welker.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LuckyShamrock. Show LuckyShamrock's posts

Arizona 41
    Pittsburgh 35 in overime

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[Quote]TP:

If Breaston plays the Welker "role"....what will Edge be...Faulk?....and Hightower being Dillon? If they can do that...I can see the 2004 scenario having a decent shot to repeat itself....
    [/Quote]

Belenus:

Its' more like Hightower is their Faulk, and Edge is their Dillon. Their WRs are better than the WRs the Pats had in 2004.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[Quote]I hate to say it.....but this could be one of those boring Super Bowl blowouts that have littered this game several times.

Something on the order of 41-3.....and I don't mean the Cardinals....lol.[/Quote]

Umie:

Initially, I felt the same way. But, consider this...Kurt Warner, like our Matt Cassel, will be an unrestricted free agent next year. Should Warner play well and his Cards win, think of how much that would increase Kurt's value on the open market. Add to that the fact that Kurt is a borderline Hall of Famer. A SB win over the Steelers would likely push him over the Canton hump.

Has there ever been a QB who had more riding on the outcome of a single game?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Cardinals 24 Steelers 20. The cards will exploit the Steeler secondary and get a defensive score. Which will be enough to slide by them. I think the steelers will take the cards for granted thinking they already have this one in the bag....

I hope so!
    go cardinals! god, I can't stand the steelers......

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[Quote]TP:

Namath in Super Bowl III ?
    [/Quote]

No. Namath had a much better running game to rely upon than Kurt. But, Kurt has better receivers. The game has changed so much in 40 years, that SB 3 really isn't relevant to the present.

As I stated previously, the Cards should study the Pats 41-27 win over the Steelers in the 2004 AFC title game...and spread the field with 4 WRs.

I expect the Steelers to attack Warner in a similar fashion to the way the NY Giants attacked Tom Brady in last years' SB.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Belenus:

There really wasn't much pressure at all on Namath...despite his now famous guarantee. Noboby took him, the AFL, or his Jets seriously at that time. The Colts were, as I recall, more than a 2 TD favorite.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

For this year's SB, it is a more likely scenario the Cardinals can defeat the Steelers versus what was said about the Giants leading up to last year's game. Consider:

The Cardinals offense is geared for nice weather, which they will have in Tampa, and it is clicking on all cylinders. Many thought the Eagles D would have a good chance of bottling up Warner, but, it didn't. Granted, the Steelers D is much different than the Eagles, but, if the Cardinals look at how the Pats handled that D in the first half of their game, it can be beat. Warner is much more savvy QB than Cassel and has that quick release, ala Brady. Steelers also lost to 4 teams, none with the O that the Cardinals have.

Flip side.. Cardinals D is not the Ravens and the Steelers O, is it better than the Eagles O? Ward is an X factor as he will be wearing a brace, how will it impact his mobility? Steelers don't have the downfield play the Cards have, too. Steelers have to control the tempo and keep it low scoring. With that said..

IMHO, an upset in the making, not on the order of last year, but it is here. Cardinals will surpise the Steelers D and get up quick on the Steelers. I don't think they have the D backfield than can cover BOTH WRs. Once it becomes a shooting match, takes the Steelers out of their control offense and they would have to rely on their D to turn it around. Wouldn't surprise me to see a 31 - 28 or 35 - 31 game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[Quote]

IMHO, an upset in the making, not on the order of last year, but it is here. Cardinals will surpise the Steelers D and get up quick on the Steelers. I don't think they have the D backfield than can cover BOTH WRs. Once it becomes a shooting match, takes the Steelers out of their control offense and they would have to rely on their D to turn it around. Wouldn't surprise me to see a 31 - 28 or 35 - 31 game.[/Quote]

agc:

I never thought that the Giants beating the Patriots was the "major upset" that ESPN and the media has made it out to be. The Giants had a very good team last year...better than either of this years' SB participants. Last years' Giants were better than this years' 13-4, top NFC seed team.

The 2007 Giants matched up very well against the unbeaten Patriots. They had a top flight running game, a powerful DL, anchored by bookend DEs Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora (neither of whom played this season), and an excellent physical receiver in Plaxico Burress. As we all saw, the 2008 Giants weren't the same team after Plax was gone.

What people tend to forget was that the Patriots really had to scramble in week 16 to edge the 2007 G-men in NY, 38-35.

If the Cards beat the Steelers, I would view that to be a greater upset than the Giants' 17-14 win last year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

As Tom Brady will likely be forever haunted by last years' SB loss...Kurt Warner is dealing with similar feelings about the Rams 20-17 SB 36 upset loss to the Patriots: http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/columnists.nsf/berniemik
    lasz/story/088F164364E846938625754C001104BF?OpenDocument

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 13lucky. Show 13lucky's posts

I'm a Pat's fan and I will be rooting for the Cards. Warner can still throw a pretty good pass and Fitzgerald is worth the price of admission. I sure hope they can get it done. If they can score a touchdown on their first possession that will be great. If so, then I think it will be important to have some kind of a sustained drive on their next possession, even if they don't score.
    The Steelers are going to be tough and they're going to hit hard. I don't think Hines is going to be a big factor which will certainly hurt the Steelers. Ben is big, tough and I respect him.
    I'm thinking Cards 24 Steelers 21

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

The two things the Cardinals need to do to win
    this game is protect Warner, and don't give up
    the big play. Holmes can elude defenders in the secondary, give him some space and he will be
    gone. Likewise, they'll need to keep Parker from
    getting to the second level. IMO this game is going
    to be a chessmatch between coaches when the
    Cardinals have the ball. Whisenhunt and Lebeau
    spent three years practicing against each other.
    If they can pick up the blitz and let Warner throw
    the ball he will get it to Larry. And I think he's as
    good as Randy Moss at going up and taking the ball
    away even in double coverage. Obviously, turnovers will be deadly. If they give Ben a short field they
    are doomed. If they can get a lead and win the field
    position battle (plus hold onto the ball), I'd say they
    can win easily. If they get to Warner like the Giants
    got to Brady last year it's Pittsburgh in a rout. I'm
    going to be a Cardinals fan Sunday.

Tex, I agree last year's "upset" was overblown by
    the media. Although it was an upset in that the
    Patriots were 18-0, the teams were a lot closer than
    they made it out to be. I envisioned a close game all
    along. If AZ does win it will be a much bigger upset,
    IMO. Bigger even than NE in SB36. ESPN will bill
    it as the biggest "David and Goliath" story ever!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from steelerjim58. Show steelerjim58's posts

Gee, why so many Steeler haters here?

Anyway, I think you all like so many others are giving fitzgerald too much love. Granted he is an exceptional player but hardly unstoppable. If you look at what he has done in the post season, better than a third of his total yards came on three catches. One 62 yds, one 42 yds and one 41 yds. Two of those were fleaflickers, the 62 and 42. The key is not to give up the big play. It won't take a super human effort to do that. The Steeler d has played consistently well all year, I don't see a malor letdown against the cardinals.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Gee, why so many Steeler haters here?

Maybe because it's a Patriots board? How about
    because of guys like RETROP and a few other
    trolls. Most likely the same reason I'd find a lot
    of Patriots haters on any Steeler message board.
    It's like you trying to find friends on a Ravens
    board! I'm maybe rooting as much for AZ as
    against Pittsburgh. If this game comes down to
    a few "big" plays, I think the Cards have a good
    shot. If it's a low scoring defensive battle I
    think the Steelers will win. We'll all know in
    about 124 more hours!