1. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnpanzer1. Show johnpanzer1's posts

Tek, Lugo, Schilling, Lowell, Crisp, Wakefield....

...Make up 37% of our $133 million payroll - currently 4th in the majors. 4 of them aren't playing - 2 of them shoudn't be. These 6 are in the top 12 Red Sox salaries. Lets keep feelings out of it. Lots of posts here, bash or praise, love or hate individual players, past and current accomplishments, stupid excuses (that are genius to you, i.e.: where would we be without tek, wakefield is a bargian at $4 million, the circimstances around schilling, blah blah blah, skip it). I know - its all true. Mike Lowell is my hero. The fact remains that these guys cost us about 2 1/2 times the entire payroll of our league leading Devil Rays. ( I said it, Devil!!!!). Its hard for me to say goodbye to players that brought us our world series rings too. Its even harder to watch Tek at the plate - what helen keller isn't available? Lowrie, Papelbon, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Youkilis, Lester, make very little in comparison. Why is it the Disabled List has a $10 million + contract guarantee? I don't want rid of Lowell or Wakefield, but let social security disability pay for them, lets get younger and spend our money better (yes, its our money!). Can Theo get Orlando Cabrera back? He's been chasing that bad decison at SS ever since.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from keepmanny7. Show keepmanny7's posts

same old crap different day. meanwhile, boston has won 9 of 12 in august. true story.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gickchum. Show gickchum's posts

the team is kind of a mess right now

lots of fat that needs to be cut off

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

I agree with some of your assessment.

Tek, as good as he is behind the plate, has become an aberration at the plate. He simply cannot get around on a good fastball anymore. His LH hitting is so bad that, at the very least, he should consider no longer switch hitting. That would add 10 or more points to his BA right there, IMO. Still, it is time to do something concrete about our catcher of the future.

The one player I simply cannot agree about is Wake - not because of any sentimental loyalty - but because he has been far more effective than his W/L this year would indicate. He has the second best ERA of the starters. He has received no run support, as usual. With average run support, and a BP that hadn't given away 4 games in which the Sox were leading when he left, he could easily have 12-13 wins. I also like the possibility of him moving to the pen for the next year or two, for middle relief between our power pitchers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxncycles. Show soxncycles's posts

What pitcher are you going to get for less than 4 mil that can replace Wakes numbers? Buccholz?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

My favourite posts are along the lines of "We MUST get rid of player X because he's rubbish/overpaid/etc....let's trade him!"

Trade them to whom? The 1950s St Louis Browns? The 1930s Philadelphia Athletics?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

With the possible exception of Coco Crisp, all the players you mention were big factors in the 2007 championship.

How is anybody supposed to have known in advance that these players were going to have off years or be injured BEFORE 2008 began?

If you know this stuff ahead of time perhaps you should be the GM.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThrashMagazine5. Show ThrashMagazine5's posts

As much as it pains me to see Wakefield pitch each week I realize he is not worth getting rid off. He has been great for 2+ years in a row. Worse case scenerio, sign him and move him to the pen if someone steps up.

Tek is another story. He has pretty much become a waste of an at bat and not that great behind the plate. It is not time to sign him for another year, or whatnot, it is time to cut our ties completely from him unless it is a coaching standpoint or FULL TIME BACKUP role.

Lowell is a hard one to want to get rid of. He is injured, and probably should have been placed on the DL about 3 weeks ago, but he is a player. Unfortunately his stats suffered dramatically because of this. He is still worth every penny, however if it was a decision to ship him away or Youk to make room for Tex I would ship Lowell away.

Personally I think we are in a major grind for next year, if not 2 years. If we do not ship one of the following away and pick up a big bat we will be hurting soon. And that one is Lowell or Ortiz. Peronally I would like to see Lowell put into the DH spot, Youk to 3rd and Tex to 1st. My concern is this, Lowell and Ortiz are injury prone (as proven over the last 2 years), neither are getting any younger and Ortiz could start becoming a declining slugger (meaning .250, 20hr, 80rbis), something you do not want from a #3 or #4 hitter. However, the problem is this, we do not have any open positions to fix this issue unless we trade another good player on the team (ie getting rid of youk for Tex doesn't make sense to me). We have 1 open position and that is 3rd/DH with a trade. Bay, Drew and Ellsbury are the outfield (at least 1 more year with Bay, who at this point I would like to see signed). If you trade Pedroia I would probably have a melt down, same goes with Lowrie unless it banks us someone like Hanley Ram. which isn't going to happen), so that truly leaves our ONLY holes at 3rd/DH. I personally think Lowell has a lot more in him than Papi though.

Ovbiously the biggest hole we have is Catcher followed by bullpen. I think next year Clay and Masterson can be in the rotation, with Clay splitting time with Wake. Beckett, Dice-K, Lester, Masterson, Clay/Wake is pretty solid to me, I would stay away from CC, we saw him in the Playoffs last year. We don't need 5 20 win pitchers, we need 3 great pitchers (Lester, Beckett, Dice-K) and 2 inning eaters with a 4-5 era to keep us in games. I think anything more than that out of all of them is all positive (which will prolly happen).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

First of all, unless your name is John Henry, then "we" aren't paying them anything. And who cares how much these guys are getting? If money were an issue do you think the Sox would be paying Manny's salary while he hits home runs for the Dodgers?

A player's salary, in my opinion, has importance for 2 reasons. 1) It sets fan expectations for the player. For example, would fans have been all over JD Drew last year if he had been making $1 million? 2) And it's an issue because it's money the team could have spent on another player. But, given that the team's payroll is lower than it has been in recent years, they obviously have the resources to sign just about anyone they want to sign.
    By the way, do you think there might be a reason why Orlando Cabrerra never gets resigned when his contract is up? Montreal was happy to trade him to Boston. Boston allowed him to become a free agent without even attempting to resign him. The Angles let him become a free agent with attempting to resign him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I don't want rid of Lowell or Wakefield, but let social security disability pay for them, lets get younger and spend our money better (yes, its our money!).

You seem a bit conflicted. You seem to want to keep Wakefield and then get rid of Wakefield.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Much of what you say has merit, especially your recognition that a players value to an organization is a combination of ability on the field and cost. But you seem to forget this very metric when you assign little if any value to Wakefield. The guy is a cheap 4 mil per year perpetual option guy. That's cheap by almost any measure for veteran starting pitching, wouldn't you agree? His onfield performance has been very good with a 3.67 era, and had he not been injured he was on his usual pace to hit about 200 innings. I agree-he's getting old and has become injury prone like all players will eventually. But the combined value IS there. It's always hard to predict with any precision exactly when a player will begin to decline precipitously. If the Sox or any other team could master this they'd rule all of baseball. Great AND young players are hard to come by. And believe me when I say Theo is aware of our aging veterans and the need for future position replacements. Did you really think any of this just snuck up on the RS management? Look for some big things this winter. But remember too that the Yankees idiot new owner has already publicly comitted the Spankees to an off season spending frenzy. First he rashly quit on the team for this season, then declared that the Yankees will win it all next year. They had a ton of payroll about to fall off and they're gonna be a pain because they'll no doubt cause a bidding war with their spending spree. But the Sox WILL be in the mix and I expect some nice additions. Don't fret my friend! I know you obviously care about the Sox and want their success. We'll be there next year for sure.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnpanzer1. Show johnpanzer1's posts

[Quote]My favourite posts are along the lines of "We MUST get rid of player X because he's rubbish/overpaid/etc....let's trade him!"

Trade them to whom? The 1950s St Louis Browns? The 1930s Philadelphia Athletics?[/Quote]

Great line! Love it!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnpanzer1. Show johnpanzer1's posts

[Quote]With the possible exception of Coco Crisp, all the players you mention were big factors in the 2007 championship.

How is anybody supposed to have known in advance that these players were going to have off years or be injured BEFORE 2008 began?

If you know this stuff ahead of time perhaps you should be the GM.
    [/Quote]

You're correct - and i addressed your post - knowing it was coming.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnpanzer1. Show johnpanzer1's posts

[Quote]First of all, Lowell, Lugo, Schilling and Wakefield did not exactly choose to be on the DL. If you ask them, I'm sure they would all say they would prefer playing to being on the DL. If you're an athlete, you're going to get hurt at some point. Age has nothing to do with that. Look at Ellsbury. He got hit by a pitch the other night and was scratched from the lineup the following night because of a bruised tailbone. Although he did not end up on the DL, he was still sore. Should he be sent out to pasture for a that?? To write off valuable veteran players simply because they get hurt now and then makes no sense. Look at how many times Youk's been beamed at the plate. Injury knows no price tag.[/Quote]

You're missing the point, which was anticipated. "If you ask them?" thats hilarious. Look, sweet thing, its just a factor of age, we had to have these guys to get where we are - nw its time to move on.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnpanzer1. Show johnpanzer1's posts

Not confused at all - as most replies are making the mistake that needs to be avoided - getting caught up in the individual player stories. We have a chunk of players, past their prime, consuming most of the salary, and they still have value - ship um all

[Quote]I don't want rid of Lowell or Wakefield, but let social security disability pay for them, lets get younger and spend our money better (yes, its our money!).

You seem a bit conflicted. You seem to want to keep Wakefield and then get rid of Wakefield.
    [/Quote]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Not confused at all - as most replies are making the mistake that needs to be avoided - getting caught up in the individual player stories. We have a chunk of players, past their prime, consuming most of the salary, and they still have value - ship um all

But we don't have to. It isn't all or none. Getting rid of Wake at his salary, so that we can sign a Meche-type with similar stats sets us back $6M+. Why would anyone simply give up $6M for no apparent benefit when the $6M could be applied to someone like Sabathia?
    Just for an example, suppose CC costs $18M and Wake cost $4M. Would you rather have both of them for a combined $22M, or two $11M mediocrities like Meche and Silva for a combined $22M? The numbers are rounded, but certainly ballpark.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fancy-shamanski. Show fancy-shamanski's posts

You guys are freakin nuts. You wanna be GMs are ridiculous. thank god you have no power what so ever or the sox would be royally screwed. Yeah that stud catcher is real easyt o find, while your at it get me 3 ace pitchers and 2 sluggers and pay them all 5 mill per year.

You guys are dumber then george bush. Good thing we have smart people running things like theo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gazzzmann. Show gazzzmann's posts

CC's going to command 22-25 million for 6-7 years Look what Zito was paid and his era was going up for 3 straight years

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ct-pitcher. Show ct-pitcher's posts

Sabathia will be looking for the same money Santana got, so warm up the checkbook for around $18-$20 mil. He just turned 28. His 1.55 ERA and .96 whip looks like an unbelievable addition to a starting rotation of Beckett, Lester, & DiceK. The Sox just planned to shed their payroll of $20 mil next year about 2 weeks ago.

Shill is 42 in November and likely done. Wake just turned 42. Colon is a crap shoot. Considering the Yankees will have their checkbook open to shore up their rotation with the uncertainty of Mussina next year, whether Pettite has much longer.

Opening 2009 with Beckett, Lester, DiceK, Sabathia, Wake or Buccholz lets us play in October again.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Hmm is that a statement or a prediction? I'm pretty sure Masterson is slated for the pen next year. He projects much tougher on hitters in one inning facing mostly righties than starting.

So next year if for some unforseen reason we have to put Masterson back in the rotation you will no doubt scream "Softlaw calls it again.. Masterson to start!" and break an arm patting your back and a mirror smiling at yourself.

But if he stays in the pen and is a great set-up guy as I believe he will be (don't worry I won't be an obnoxious jerk about it when that happens) you will no doubt say this statement was just a "prediction" of yours based on some good starts in the spring of 07.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from keepmanny7. Show keepmanny7's posts

no way masterson is in the pen next year. he'll be in the rotation and they'll pick up a couple bullpen arms in the offseason. i think buchholz will start the year in AAA.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sviolet1. Show sviolet1's posts

Why do we think that our players are over the hill and past their prime and we can just ship them out. Do you think that other teams are just waiting for us to offer them Lugo in a trade?

The bottom line is this team is well built for 08, and very solid in 09. Lowell/Lugo aren't going anywhere next year so the only position we need to fill is catcher, which will be Tek for 2 to 3 years. The average catcher produces about a .260 average with 12 hrs, so we aren't missing much. Name your stud catcher? There aren't any.

Lugo becomes super (expensive) utility man next year and we use the money that we save from Schilling and Manny and sign CC. That is about all the change that we see on next years team. By the way, you pick up Wakes option, 4 million for him is a bargain even if he spends two months on the DL.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[Quote]

You're correct - and i addressed your post - knowing it was coming.[/Quote]

O.K. , answer this, since you are psychic and all-knowing, and you want to dump all veterans over the age of 33.

When was the last time a major league team won a World championship with the youngest average age in the entire major leagues?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LowellConnection. Show LowellConnection's posts

[Quote]

You're missing the point, which was anticipated. "If you ask them?" thats hilarious. Look, sweet thing, its just a factor of age, we had to have these guys to get where we are - nw its time to move on.[/Quote]Injuries are just a factor of age? Have you read Boston.com lately, and how oblique problems have been a huge factor in AA, AAA and in the majors? This happens at every age, not just in veteran players. I don't see Mikey going anywhere. He is wanted and needed here. Trade Youkilis for some pitching, we need that the most, and he's worth more, being younger. Plus we don't have to see the complaining and whining anymore, it's getting quite sickening. Texiera is a free agent, so we can get him for first. Schill said himself, he's probably looking to retiring. Nobody wants to pick up the rest of Lugo's contract, so unfortunately, we're stuck with him. This team is suffering becasue of the pitching. We need a couple of great starters and Youkilis and a couple of minor league players will get us that. He won't be missed with Texiera here. Anyone is dispensible, just like Manny. And how soon everybody forgets, what Mikey has done for this team in the 3 yrs he's been here. Last years WS MVP, without him, we wouldn't have won. He's been so unfortunate this year, not his fault. And he's never been an injury proned player, so give him a break, huh? I'm sure he's upset enough that this has happened to him, but again, not his fault. If there is anybody to blame, blame the doctors. They said playing with a strained hip flexor wouldn't make anything worse, but obviously they were wrong, and now he's paying for their mistake, and so is the team. But, he'll be back, with a vengence just in time, when we need him most. Go Mikey!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LowellConnection. Show LowellConnection's posts

Minor League notebook
    Obliques have been a pain
    In Tuesday night's memorable 19-17 win over the Texas Rangers, Mike Lowell's swing and grimace - and subsequent landing on the 15-day disabled list - provided an unsettling trend within the Red Sox organization: injuries to the oblique muscle. In August alone, three Sox minor league outfielders have been sidelined with strained obliques. (Boston Globe, 12 a.m.) I just wanted to add this to my other post, since one of the posts said that Mikey is getting these injuries because of age, not true. You can read the full article, just click on the link.

Sections
Shortcuts