1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Terry Francona

That is how I have always felt about Tito. I am not a Francona basher; I give him his due props when IMO�he deserves it. What makes a GREAT manager? I would say he has to do everything pretty well. Again, my opinion.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Terry Francona

Of course not; he clearly excels in the postseason. I cannot deny facts; he was very good-excellent-in the playoffs last year. My only complaint about him is some of his in-game tactics-like leaving Beckett in the Toronto game one batter too long and putting MDC not in a position to succeed, but in a position where failure was likely. If he could solve that issue I would see him as an excellent manager-not that anyone is going to care HOW I see him. I realize that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Terry Francona

But look...he is the best we have had here for a long time

Because of the way he handles the clubhouse I would have to agree with that. I cannot think of anyone, offhand, that I would consider better, taking everything into account. I think of him as a "B" or "B-minus" manager. Love to see him get the tactical part down; this year is somewhat better IMO. He earns points for replacing Lugo in close games late and not putting his loyalty to the player over the need to win games.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Terry Francona

I am not sure that would have happened last year-subbing for Lugo late in games. Even if Lugo were as bad last year as this year. Just conjecture.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsox310. Show redsox310's posts

Terry Francona

To remind Pumpsie_Green*, we won a world series WITH Lugo....Francona won 2!! WS...is 22-9(?) in playoffs!!....currently 31-19 best record in MLB......only team playing over .600....focus on the result, not on who gets us there.....I agree with the futility of attempting to rate Lugo more than he will ever be......reality is Lowrie is not ready yet and they are WINNING despite Lugo...side note......I think Lugo BA will be high than his FA by season's �end....lucky to have Terry F......by the way, when did the Yanks (cellar dwellers) decide to become thugs....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Terry Francona

//I think of him as a "B" or "B-minus" manager. Love to see him get the tactical part down//This is hilarious. Francona has been the Red Sox manager for a little more than four years. He has won (swept!!) two World Series. His team missed the playoffs once, in an injury-riddled year. They currently have the best record in baseball. You said you are a pediatrician.�How would you feel about Francona watching you practice and telling you how to handle your patients? What would you say? Probably something along the lines of� "you don't know what you're talking about." Terry Francona's father was a professional baseball player. Francona practically grew up in an MLB clubhouse. He was a stupendous college player and a top draft choice, and would have been a very good MLB player if not for injuries. He paid his dues as a minor league manager and a major league bench coach. He was the top choice for manager by one of�the best front offiices in baseball. Oh, and he's also in the presense of his players almost 24/7, so he probaby has a pretty good idea of what makes them tick, and how the're doing at any particular time. And your qualifications to critique his managing, to rate his tactics, are..... ? What? That you played American Legion baseball? That you've watched a lot of games on TV?Unbelieveable. ��

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsox310. Show redsox310's posts

Terry Francona

Speak it!!� Right on!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 24Evans. Show 24Evans's posts

Terry Francona

Tito is not yet a great manager, time will tell on that account but to win 2 WS in Boston, of all places makes, him more than a B- manager.

I'd rather have Tito than Doc in crunch time, if we can compare apples and oranges...which I know can't really be applied.� What I do know is I've felt much more comfortable with Tito at the helm in the postseason than Doc, even before the C's made the playoffs.�

Sincere question, which is the best MBL manager in the last 40 years in terms of being the good/great at both club managment and tactical changes during games?�� I really don't think it's Tito yet.� I guess I'd have to say Torre or La Russa.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruggie23. Show ruggie23's posts

Terry Francona

LARUSSA = Most over-rated manager......he's won as many world series as tito with way more opportunity......lost to tito head to head in a world series.....and could only manage one WS out of one of the most talented and juiced up baseball teams of all time.....i'll give you Torre but him and Tito are simalar managers in the fact that they sit back and let the players play and make the in game decition when needed.....and not manager could win a WS in boston for 86 years.....with great teams along the way so to give him a B- is an insult!!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfansince1980. Show soxfansince1980's posts

Terry Francona

Pumpsie, Now we have something.� You mentioned keeping Beckett in one batter too long against Toronto.� You have a fair point, but I remember that game, and he did not do anything that was THAT unreasonable.The Sox bullpen had been very, very overworked at that point.� It's difficult to keep bringing your bullpen in during the 5th inning.� Tito was probably hoping Beckett had enough to get one more out.� As it turned out, Beckett loaded the bases, no runs had scored yet at that point, and Tito was forced�to do something he didn't want to do and bring�in Delcarmen hoping he could do his job properly.� At the time Delcarmen was somebody you would trust to get you the out.� Delcarmen didn't do his job. I know Tito would have preferred that his 7th inning guy would not have to pitch in the damn 5th inning - again, so it made sense that Tito went with his ace as long as he reasonably could before he was forced to make the change.� Remember this wasn't the 7th Game of the ALCS - continually burning out your bullpen wasn't going to make things better, especially for the games upcoming.You could say it didn't work out right, or he could have put Delcarmen in a batter earlier, but it was defensible that Tito was hoping Beckett had enough for one more out, and that Delcarmen could start a clean 6th inning.� Do remember that our starters were barely last 5 innings - remnants� of that short spring training and Japan trip - by time the Sox got to Toronto, Beckett had the freshest arm - everybody else was pretty exhausted and it showed on that trip.You could argue the move, but I don't think it was stupid or unreasonable.�

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from u240robert. Show u240robert's posts

Terry Francona

a D +
    Unbelievable. Some people on this board sorely need a dose of Pinky Higgins.
    Francona has done what no other Sox manager has and
    I've followed the Sox since the mid 70's.
    If there is a fault, he is loyal to his players.
    But look how that turned out for Pedroia,
    many on this board wanted his head
    for the way he started last season.

Face it, if some people on these boards
    ran the Sox, this franchise would be a mess
    like the Yankees. Trades every other week, signing
    of overpriced has beens, etc.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Terry Francona

As I have said before, if you don't think you are smart enough to question the moves of the manager, then don't.� As for me, I trust what I see and am capable of forming a conclusion based on that.� you think that there is no way that he could be wrong, because of his background? �I find that to be almost ignorant.Trusting what you see is fine.� But, that's the point.� You have no way of SEEING all inside the clubhouse.� And situations inside the clubhouse have a huge impact on the decisions that get made in-game.� Additionaly, many of the decisions are made by Tito and his coaches.� I tend to give the benefit of any doubt based on the success of the team in the last 4 years.� And, when all else fails, Tito knows more than you or me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfansince1980. Show soxfansince1980's posts

Terry Francona

You mean you were reactionary and shortsighted about Pedroia?� Wow, I'm glad you're not our manager or else maybe Alex Cora would be our 2B.� After all he was hitting .400 in April of '07.� People like you amaze the heck out of me with you absolute foolishness.If you ran our franchise, we'd be at the bottom of the league.� I'd be calling for your butt to be fired every day!!!!!Thankfully, we have a good manager, one that can manage for the long-term as well as the short-term, one who integrates statistical analysis (unlike Grady Little) along with a touch of scouting (It was Francona who knew that Paps would make a great closer, and this was when he was first coming up as a starter)BOSOX1941 is not qualified to manage a little league team, let a lone the Red Sox, so I'm perfectly happy with the Red Sox reality.BTW, I grade your intelligence an F-, but hey, you're doing to the best of your abilities.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Terry Francona

What subjective criteria do you use to grade him a D+?� I am fine with you not liking him but a D+ seems a bit low since the team is in first place, they have one 2 WS since 2004, make the playoffs almost every season, management loves him, the players love him.� He deals well with the scrutiny, the media and fans who hate him.� If you want to see a D+, check out the way Willie Randolph handles his media fishbowl.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from marknolan1. Show marknolan1's posts

Terry Francona

�I can't� understand why on May 24 Willie Randolph's�days are numbered in New York.� But then to see this forum and realize�that so many people are unhappy with the job Terry has done is absolutely insane.��To those of you fans who aren't satisfied with two WS rings since 2004,� do me a favor : Jump ship and go root for the Mets.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Terry Francona

You could say it didn't work out right, or he could have put Delcarmen in a batter earlier, but it was defensible that Tito was hoping Beckett had enough for one more out, and that Delcarmen could start a clean 6th inning.�Soxfan, the fact of the matter is that it was crystal clear that Beckett was very tired when there were only two on and allowing him to pitch to the one extra batter that Francoma allowed was a mistake. I could see it and on the game thread, in big capital letters, I called on Tito to pull Beckett. It was OBVIOUSLY the right move. He didn't. The rest is history. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but mine is that this is a clear example of Sit and Spit at his worst.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Terry Francona

You said you are a pediatrician.�How would you feel about Francona watching you practice and telling you how to handle your patients? What would you say?Well, Duinne, if I were just hanging out drinking coffee ( I do not chew tobacco) and one of my patients was in cardiac arrest and Tito told me to get up and DO SOMETHING, I guess I would say "thanks". Does that sound about right?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from vbredsoxaddict. Show vbredsoxaddict's posts

Terry Francona

Because of the way he handles the clubhouse I would have to agree with that. I cannot think of anyone, offhand, that I would consider better, taking everything into account. I think of him as a "B" or "B-minus" manager. Love to see him get the tactical part down; this year is somewhat better IMO. Pumpsie, I think this is the most positive thing I've read from you regarding Francona.� Certainly much nicer to read than the Sit and Spit comments.� I don't agree with your B or B- rating, but I can live with that.� At leat we agree that he does a great job with the clubhouse.As far as the tactical part of the game, I think he does a pretty good job.� Sure he makes decisions that turn out bad, but all managers do.� Like I said previously, I don't have any problems with you or anyone else questioning one of his moves.� Even the Tito supporters will question some moves.� But to be fair to Tito, I think we have to acknowledge that the right decision in a game is not always the decision that seems obvious to us fans.� We are not there day in and day out and we have no idea what other considerations Tito takes into account.He earns points for replacing Lugo in close games late and not putting his loyalty to the player over the need to win games. I like this move by Tito as well.� But I must also say that I appreciate Tito's loyalty to his players, and his loyalty has paid big dividends in the past with Mark Bellhorn and Pedroia.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfansince1980. Show soxfansince1980's posts

Terry Francona

Yeah, people exactly like you.� I don't want to know you, but Yes I know you and your type.� The know-it-all loudmouth who knows absolutely nothing.� It's what invades WEEI.� It's people who love to hear themselves who act like experts when they know nothing - people who are full of hot air and have nothing, I repeat, nothing to back up their Monday morning quarterbacking.Do your think your snarky D+ grade is funny?� Well, maybe if you ever need a surgeon, I hope you get one�who got a D+ in med school - after all D+ isn't failing!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfansince1980. Show soxfansince1980's posts

Terry Francona

Again, Pumpsie, how many times in early April is Francona supposed to go to his pen in the 5th inning?� I'm glad you were ready to manage that game like the 7th game of the World Series, but why shouldn't have Francona given Beckett one more shot to get the last out - again, they had to try to avoid bringing in their relievers so damn early (Can you see the big picture???).� I remember Beckett struggling too, but I also thought that Francona was caught between a rock and a hard place.� He either pulls a tiring Beckett or he puts in an exhausted, overworked, not to mention ineffective bullpen.� He was kind of damned if he did and damned if he didn't - after all he DID bring in Delcarmen in what was still a 2-2 tie, and I don't want to hear margin of error.� Delcarmen had to retire one guy and he could not do it that day.� Being clairvoyant about the impending disaster (I knew we were going to lose that day - our team had stopped hitting, our starters couldn't go beyond 5, and we were playing in a place we almost always lose - Toronto.� The�team looked�exhausted.� So, I guess I'm clairvoyant, too, and I knew we were screwed if we had to go to Delcarmen in the 5th again.� So gripe and type, think about that before taking your bows.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Terry Francona

Soxfan, you have expressed�your opinion and I have�expressed mine. Neither is "right". That move by the manager is open for being questioned. To me, it is consistent with a pattern of behavior that is characterized by inaction when action was indicated. I will try to remember more specific examples from the past or point them out as they occur this year. This pattern is why Tito is only a B minus to B manager-which is actually above average, but not a great manager.Gripe and Type�

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfansince1980. Show soxfansince1980's posts

Terry Francona

Yes, you have expressed your opinion and I have expressed mine.� I understand your opinion to be that the move cost them the game.� My opinion is that he was caught between two bad situations, either of which, given the circumstances would probably cost him the game, and that he had to think what was best long-term given the circumstances (exhausted, overused bullpen).I didn't hear anything about anything beyond that particular game, and I'm sorry Pumpsie, but sometimes managers have to think just beyond that one game.You are right when you said it was a move that can be questioned, and I, too have questioned his moves at times, but you cannot tell me it was a stupid, unreasonable move given all of the circumstances, and that there wasn't a reasonable view both ways.� That move was not so black and white as you say it was.But that's it, I'm not going to try to enlighten you.� Trying to go over�ALL of the variables in the situation� is not your style, but it needs to be for a good manager.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Terry Francona

Well Bosox, I said Dustin Pedroia WAS a good Major League prospect and would be a solid player and I was right.� I said Jacoby Ellsbury was a good Major League prospect and I am being proven right.� I am saying that Jed Lowrie will become a solid Major League shortstop and hopefully on our team and I will bet� that I am right.I also say that Tim Wakefield must be taken out of the Red Sox rotation or we'll hit the skids and I know I am right.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Terry Francona

Mark, I congratulate Terry on winning two WS� Titles and was in the forefront of him deserving an hefty raise and contract extention, but I still reserve the right to criticize some of this strategical moves that he makes.� It doesn't make my a� Terry basher, just a fan who has an opinion on something he does and will give it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Terry Francona

The operative word last year was "IF" we came apart.� I never once said we were going to blow the AL East; twice I hinted we could.� Disenthrall yourself and get your facts straight.

Sections
Shortcuts