1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannyboy11. Show dannyboy11's posts

THE AMAZIN RAYS

[Quote]When did you start following the Rays? Last week? Your lack of knowledge and perspective is embarrassing. Age doesn't win ballgames. Talent and experience do. Your team has lots of the former, none of the latter...and your so-called city sucks so much that it can only support its team after being informed by the national media that it is in first place. At the first sign of dropping off (should be within a month) you'll all go back to your trailers and the Trop will be a morgue again. So guess again, bandwagon rider. Go listen to more b.s. from Orel and repeat it as if it were original, it's obvious you know nothing. SMACKCASTER.COM.[/Quote]

You are both wrong.  I'm a rays fan from the beginning and love what's happening but... First of all, the Rays have not earned anything yet and certainly not the right for their fans to start running smack like this.  Wakefield has owned the Rays and actually pitched a decent game the other night.  He is an innings eater and makes everyone else more effective.  I played college baseball and can tell you hitting a 90's fastball after seeing a game of knucklers is pure hell.  Yes the Sox are getting older but are doing a decent job of bringing in the Pedroias and Elsberry's in to help the turnover.

On the other side, the Trop is a morgue no matter how many people are in it, but it will be full for awhile now.  THis team is for real and isn't going away anytime soon.  Probably too much to ask for them to take it to the wire this year but they'll be a factor and winning it all could happen.  They just don't have many weaknesses.

Finally, Tampa is a great city and place to live.  I moved away a few years ago and would move back in a heartbeat.  I work for a Boston based company (with great Fenway seats) and it's a great city too.  Would never live there though.  THe weather sucks big time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from arby09. Show arby09's posts

THE AMAZIN RAYS

[Quote]exactly.  just like most of the bandwagon losers on this board.[/Quote]

Oh quit your bitc____ you DEVIL Ray Fans!  The whole state is full of trailler parks and the majority of the population is not native!

I live in Tampa and I can't waite to get out of this SHI_ HOLE!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from groucho1933. Show groucho1933's posts

THE AMAZIN RAYS

Everybody simply stop all of this bandwagon, fingerpointing whinning....the Rays are playing great baseball, the Red Sox are not, a few weeks back the Sox were playing great ball, the Rays were not...I am retired, live in florida, work for the Rays in fan assistance, this bandwagon thing is sicking, and let me tell you, there are just as many sox bandwagon boys as they are Rays....both sides need to chill out, stop pointing fingers stop the chest pounding and enjoy what we have in front of us, another good team in the division again, prior to 95 before the mlb went to 3 divisions, we had many a good team in the eastern division, always a great match up to look forward too, there is much baseball left to be played, but stop pointing fingers, sox fans get off the ivory tower, rays fans, stop the inferioriity complex stuff and both sides enjoy a pennant race......

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from grabbo. Show grabbo's posts

THE AMAZIN RAYS

As a transplanted New Englander living down here in SW Florida, I don't get to see the Sox on a daily basis. I do get to see quite a few Rays games on the tube. The change in the Rays has been remarkable to say the least. It is not just the winning record but the attitude of the team. These guys just want to out play, out hustle, out work the other teams. I was really disappointed in the play of the Sox. The Rays took everything the Sox handed to them, walks, errors, stolen bases, passed balls and turned them into runs. The Sox on the other hand couldn't get runners in from second or third even with the big thumpers. Manny looked uninterested and quite frankly over matched most of the time. Varitek has become a black hole and the Rays knew it by intentionally walking people in front of him and it worked. Now I know the Rays may be playing a bit over their heads and folks that is a big maybe, but be careful they are hungry and Sox and Yankee fans beware there is a storm brewing down here in SW Florida and it might just blow us away.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NewBeastInTheEast. Show NewBeastInTheEast's posts

THE AMAZIN RAYS

The brooms are swaying in Tampa, and those crying Crap Sox fans were on there feet cheering the Rays on when they saw the changing of the guard in the AL East. Enjoy it chowder heads atleast you can say hey we got 2 in the last 100 years hahahaha the Yankmee's own you, and now Tampa has you all scared hitless!!! Let the dynasty begin!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from danny1956. Show danny1956's posts

THE AMAZIN RAYS

I also live in Tampa bay. This year there are 40 Million Rays fans.

All the radio personalities who are saying the Rays are Gods wanted to
     run them off last year. They are playing very well and deserve to be
     where they are. My problem is when the sox, yankees or cubs are in
     town the trop has 30 to 35 thousland fans. Tomorrow night the KC Royals are in town. There are 20,000 seats available for each game of
     the series. These people are wagon jumpers who will fade away when
     the Rays come back to earth. The time to worry about the Rays is next
     year when they will have unbeleivable pitching with Price and Townsland
     are here next year. Ive taken a lot of flack this week at work about being a sox fan but i tell them when its all said and done, they will still be the Devil Rays!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from danny1956. Show danny1956's posts

THE AMAZIN RAYS

[Quote]The brooms are swaying in Tampa, and those crying Crap Sox fans were on there feet cheering the Rays on when they saw the changing of the guard in the AL East. Enjoy it chowder heads atleast you can say hey we got 2 in the last 100 years hahahaha the Yankmee's own you, and now Tampa has you all scared hitless!!! Let the dynasty begin![/Quote]

First of all moron, No Red Sox fan would ever cheer for The Devil Rays in Fenway South ( the trop)  And by the way the stadium in in St. Pete

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 08301238. Show 08301238's posts

THE AMAZIN RAYS

No team will be in good condition eternally.  The Rays are too good from the Interleague play. The time will soon come when they suffer a terrible slump.  Bartlett, Percival and Reyes are placed on DL.  They are a good team, to be sure.  But the RAYS of HOPE will sooner or later be out of sight!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from groucho1933. Show groucho1933's posts

THE AMAZIN RAYS

[Quote]The brooms are swaying in Tampa, and those crying Crap Sox fans were on there feet cheering the Rays on when they saw the changing of the guard in the AL East. Enjoy it chowder heads atleast you can say hey we got 2 in the last 100 years hahahaha the Yankmee's own you, and now Tampa has you all scared hitless!!! Let the dynasty begin![/Quote]

Are you for real...and after tonight's 7 - 0 shutout in the bronx, perhaps you should be concerned about an overpaid geriatric lineup, supported by the ultimate in arrogrant fans...I am glad that you have 26 titles, good for you, and believe me moron, I am more than happy to wait another 100 years for another title just as long as you continue to go without...I have no problem with any team winning the east, the pennant, or the series just as long as the yankees do not....and finally, reading your post,I have no idea what it is you stand for, your team winning, another team stealing your title....you are the one who is crying buddy....you in new york dont own claim to the al east, nor do the sox...and in a few years when the sox are in decline as all teams do, you will still be the same thing, the obnoxious yankee fan we have all come to love the past 100 years...you provide great entertainment, so, keep winning the titiles, keep it up....win another 26, because you cant live without it...loser...maybe a 100 year wait is what you need....just another selfish yankee fan who cant appreicate what you have....loser

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 08301238. Show 08301238's posts

THE AMAZIN RAYS

[Quote]Relax people...teams don't go from below .500 records to winning the division in one year in baseball.  Tampa Bay will come back down to earth...every year there is a team in baseball that plays great ball in the first half of the season and everyone freaks out over them.

[/Quote]Surely, it will be impossible for the Rays to win the division; the Sox will probably be the winner.  However, the Rays are now a good team, despite their past records.  We should admit it, and beat them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

THE AMAZIN RAYS

[Quote]

This is a marathon, and we're half way through. Too early to annoint the Rays as a great team. They are hot, but it's getting hotter and it remains to be seen how they'll do once teams start gearing up for them. They will not longer be under the radar, for the second half. Anyone who has followed baseball for a long time knows not to put too much stock in the first half. The Rays have shown they are a team to be reckoned with, but it's too early to start penciling them in for the title.

Let's look at a few important points:

1. The series is 6-6, and they've one the close ones. The last 6 will  let us know if this will be a changing of the guards.

2. The Rays simply don't play the schedule the Sox play, the Rays schedule is soft comparatively speaking.

3. The Rays haven't played near as many road games and have played quite a few more home games. In other words, once that evens up we'll see where the standings are. 

4. If Papi is in the lineup, we probably win at least one or two of those games in Tampa. Not an excuse, but Papi will return and should give us a huge lift for the second half.

5. John Lester was great tonight, and when Colon returns, DiceK now appearing back in form, we'll be second to no one in terms of quality starting pitching and depth.

6. The Rays pen, be it against lesser competition, had a solid first half. It remains to be seen if that holds up in the 2nd half. Our pen has been up and down, but we still have one of the best closers in baseball. Simply, the Rays don't have that. 

7. We had some key people hurst bust still managed a 98 win pace for the first half. The Rays were on the same pace after 81 games, but it remains to be seen what the 2nd half ends up as.

8. We are still the defending champions and have won 2 titles in the last 4 years. While that won't win anything this year, the Rays simply haven't proven they are a championship team by playing a very strong first half. The pressure will rise on them as we come down the stretch, and it's not going to be the same as getting jacked up to win close games against us at home. The entire picture gets changes as the league goes deep into the second half. Agree or disagree, there is no doubt that the Rays are now on the full radar screen, loud and clear. Because of the past, some teams probably still take them lightly at times, they won't in the 2nd half. We'll see where it ends up, but I'm not sold on Tampa this early. If they continue this pace for 2nd half, I'll tip my cap..........but not this early.   

[/Quote]

Good post, you hit the nail on the head.  It's much to early to say who is going to the WS.  Sox fans need to calm down.  If the sox make it to the WS again great!  If not just remember they aren't going to win it every year. 

Boston has had 3 Super Bowls, 2 WS and 1 NBA Championship scince 01'  So, everyone relax!!!! Boston is flying high right now so enjoy the ride!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 08301238. Show 08301238's posts

THE AMAZIN RAYS

Luck can't last long.  Sure, the Tampa Bay Rays are much better than the last 10 years.  Yet, the Rays of Hope will be out of sight soon!  The Rays will be without shortstop J. Bartlett who was placed on the 15-day DL, like Percival.  B. Bannister(7-7) of the Kansas City Royals will stop the Rays' winning streak. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tampaG. Show tampaG's posts

THE AMAZIN RAYS

Not a better testimonial as to why we always hear about red sox nation's unfathomable baseball knowledge and unmeasurable baseball IQ. unfortunately, there are too may syllables in this message for this moron to de-cypher. 

Don't show a bunch of no talent losers any respect!!!!! They still are the DEVIL rays, and a bunch of frauds!!!!! When you can get 5 outs any team can score 6 runs in a inning! Bartlett was out trying to streal third and Iwamura never touched first base!  Thats the only way bad teams beat WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!! If it not the Sox in the series I root for the other league, because they are the ONLY ones that are deserving of it! NO ONE ELSE!!!!!!   So the DEVILRays can have their 3 games, in July, the Sox WILL have back to back titles. Oh by the way Sweet Caroline is our song PUNKS(DEVILrays)!!!! 

[/Quote]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimnagle. Show jimnagle's posts

THE AMAZIN RAYS

[Quote]I agree, I would never go to a game at Fenway because the fans are so in your face rude. Boston fans, ease up on the sucky attitude  in both baseball and football and when you go to Tropicana or any other city to cheer on your team you'll be treated with respect.  Turn around is fair play they say.  You don't see the attitude from any other (better) city ie Chicago, St Louis, Frisco, only in Boston, why is that?? Come on Boston, I thought u were better than that........[/Quote]

As a Mass. transplant and lifelong diehard Sox fan who has lived in the Bradenton/Sarasota area for the last twenty-six years, I have has an opportunity to observe the fan dynamics at the Trop from the beginning, both in person and on TV.  I have felt sorry for the Rays players in the past, because whenever they have played the Sox or Yankees at home,it has been essentially a road game for them.  The Yankees (and Red Sox) fans have been obnoxious and overbearing.  Although I always favor the Sox, when I have gone to see them play the Rays I have been a relatively silent observer, and have found the general atmosphere a little embarassing.  It used to be the same way with the crowds at Lightning games, especially against Detroit (sea of red at the Lightning home games), Montreal, Toronto (insufferable know-it-alls), etc., but winning a Cup changed all that, as winning often does.  Same with the old bad Buccaneers, who had to play road games in Tampa against the Bears, Packers, Vikings, etc.  What fans from most parts of the country have not experienced is the tremendous base of transplants who go to games here to root for the teams of their original geography.  But this is really a great sports area, and winning helps bring out legions of new fans, and even changes some old allegiances.

A few years ago, Eduardo Perez hit a walkoff HR to beat the Sox at the Trop.  When he was interviewed on TV after the game, an obviously angry Perez got off a great line: "We managed to silence the home crowd." If the Rays fans have become a little obnoxious and overbearing towards Sox fans, it could be chalked up to the Biblical law of sowing and reaping.

I am still a Sox fan #1, but I enjoy the Rays, and believe they are for real.  They are young, fast and athletic, and they finally have the pitching to go along with their imposing young lineup, and a nice sprinkling of first-class vets like Cliff Floyd, Eric Hinske and Troy Percival (whose recurring hammy problem may spell trouble down the stretch).  Don't be surprised if they are there at the end, and for a few years in the foreseeable future.  After that, the realities of the small market may kick in, as they will have to decide about ponying up to keep some of these young stars here.  Very strong farm system though.  Very analogous to the Twins on a number of levels.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from vabeaner. Show vabeaner's posts

THE AMAZIN RAYS

This thread needs to be renamed "Chicken Little".

The Sox are in a slump right now and Papi is on the DL. The Rays are playing their best ball of the season and they barely beat the sox three games, at home, by a total of four runs, with their top three pitchers on the mound.

I'm not saying the Rays are not a good team. They deserve a lot of credit, even if their fans are the least knowledgable, most fair weather fans in baseball. After all of the years of being terrible you can't blame them for taking a lot of pleasure in sweeping the Sox and rubbing it in a little.

Lets face it, the Sox with their huge payroll and success are one of the the Evil Empire now to fans in cities with limited resources.

I have no doubt that when the Sox and Rays meet next in September results will be a lot different than the last series.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from u240robert. Show u240robert's posts

THE AMAZIN RAYS

I live in the Tampa area
    and have seen the Rays play a number of times.
    Looking back to last season, even 
    though they had a crummy record
    you could find some good players among them.
    I'm a lifelong Red Sox fan but I do
    think the Rays are going to be a problem.

This year will be different, the Rays
    have added themselves into the east mix.
    The big loser out of this will be the Yankees.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

THE AMAZIN RAYS

[Quote]I agree, I would never go to a game at Fenway because the fans are so in your face rude. Boston fans, ease up on the sucky attitude  in both baseball and football and when you go to Tropicana or any other city to cheer on your team you'll be treated with respect.  Turn around is fair play they say.  You don't see the attitude from any other (better) city ie Chicago, St Louis, Frisco, only in Boston, why is that?? Come on Boston, I thought u were better than that........[/Quote]

I think you are exagerating just a bit.  When I go to Fenway I don't hear or see the rude fans you are talking about.  I met a yank fan and his son at fenway and had a very nice time talking to them.  I have been to yankee stadium twice and had no problems.

I was born an raised in boston but now live outside of d.c. so I so lots of games at camden yards.  Talk about rude fans!!! I am a middle aged woman, not some young punk who had too much to drink.  One guy saw my shirt and suggested I be thrown over the railing, today I was told how much the sox were hated, this was by a kid young enough to be my son.  One of the vendors in the park gave me a hard time.  In all these cases I wasn't even cheering for my team or talking to these people.

I have been going to the yard for 16 years.  They are very rude fans.

Those who call sox fans rude may want to think about their own behavior.  Did you do anything to cause this rude behavior. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

THE AMAZIN RAYS

I think you are exagerating just a bit.  When I go to Fenway I don't hear or see the rude fans you are talking about.  I met a yank fan and his son at fenway and had a very nice time talking to them.  I have been to yankee stadium twice and had no problems.

I was born an raised in boston but now live outside of d.c. so I so lots of games at camden yards.  Talk about rude fans!!! I am a middle aged woman, not some young punk who had too much to drink.  One guy saw my shirt and suggested I be thrown over the railing, today I was told how much the sox were hated, this was by a kid young enough to be my son.  One of the vendors in the park gave me a hard time.  In all these cases I wasn't even cheering for my team or talking to these people.

I have been going to the yard for 16 years.  They are very rude fans.

Those who call sox fans rude may want to think about their own behavior.  Did you do anything to cause this rude behavior. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

THE AMAZIN RAYS

[Quote]As a transplanted New Englander living down here in SW Florida, I don't get to see the Sox on a daily basis. I do get to see quite a few Rays games on the tube. The change in the Rays has been remarkable to say the least. It is not just the winning record but the attitude of the team. These guys just want to out play, out hustle, out work the other teams. I was really disappointed in the play of the Sox. The Rays took everything the Sox handed to them, walks, errors, stolen bases, passed balls and turned them into runs. The Sox on the other hand couldn't get runners in from second or third even with the big thumpers. Manny looked uninterested and quite frankly over matched most of the time. Varitek has become a black hole and the Rays knew it by intentionally walking people in front of him and it worked. Now I know the Rays may be playing a bit over their heads and folks that is a big maybe, but be careful they are hungry and Sox and Yankee fans beware there is a storm brewing down here in SW Florida and it might just blow us away.[/Quote]

I am curious to see how they will do after the break with all the road trips they have.  Is their bullpen being over used?  Will they keep up this fever pitch up to September into October?

Remember the rockies?  Those fans were pounding their chests.  What about the indians, up 3 to 1.  Those fans made all sorts of 'we are the best and you are old' noise.  They are in the basement playing 400 ball.  Their fans were making the same claims as the rays fans. 

The sox have done a remarkable job considering the japan trip, lots of long road trips and all the injuries.  I feel the best is yet to come from them.  time will tell.

Sections
Shortcuts