1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J.Bolt. Show J.Bolt's posts

The Colts and Their Rookie Head Coach

A level curve is the order of business for Colts head coach Jim Caldwell this season. Look for Indy to take a step back this year.

thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

It looked like the Colts had indeed slipped noticably early last season, and they certainly did not dominate anybody they way we've seen them do in recent years (unless maybe you're the Ravens), but at the end of the day there they were again at 12-4 and only the Titans coming out of nowhere kept Indy from its normal first-round bye. So this year the San Dago beat-down came in the opening round instead of the second round.

Same old Colts -- right?

Well, probably not.

The thing about Indy, and as much as we bash him here, you kind of have to give this to Mr. Ed, Indy tends to win ugly games even when it does not play well. This happened several times last season, most noticably at Minnesota, Houston and Cleveland. Sooner or later you have to think living on the edge catches up with the Colts and it may just be that the Holy Roller saw the writing on the wall and got out while the getting was good. That said, watching the Titans gag in the playoffs like a willing prom date has me convinced that Indy, despite having taken a step back, may still be the best team in that overrated division.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Rookie coach watch will be interesting, as will the play of the d with a new coordinator.

The colts are good enough to win anything and everything, but is there anything really today about the colts that scares any other team. Addai is not as good as E james was (before knee surg), Harrison has aged considerably since his injury. Reggie Wayne is a great receiver, but I honestly have never believed that any team specifically game plans for him. Dallas Clark is the only offensive weapon match up problem for defenses.

Defense needs bigger interior lineman (this has been the colts most common achilles heal over the years).

Offensive line is evolving.

There are a lot of questions about the future of the colts. What I see is a team that remains competitive enough to win it all, but it would require hitting on all cylindars + a little luck to make that happen.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I wont count the Colts out cause i know better then to do that but I will say I hope they take a giant step back this year. A new head coach and a new DC is going to be a issue i think. I think Manning will get frustrated at some point and start blaming his coaching staff for the poor proformence and then the team will be devided. thats what im hoping for anyways as I hate the Colts more then any other team in the league.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Mr. Ed frustrated?

Pointing fingers at his coaches and teammates?

He wouldn't do that.

When has he ever done that?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Manning & Brady

Mr.Ed and the Sheep Lover

hmmm - sounds like a bad title to Brokeback Mountain

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulK3. Show PaulK3's posts

JAG is just another guy. JAT is just another team.

The Colts are in cap hell, the natural hangover of going for the superteam years by way overspending. Peyton's still pretty good but he costs a fortune. The Colts have a huge amount of dead money now, old superstars on Rascals who are expected to never get back to their glory days. They might as well be JAGs, real JAGs probably run faster. Polian can still pick players, but that only goes so far.

Add this to the problems of installing a new coach.

Indy's only real interest on this board is their second place finish. The Patriots also finished second. Maybe they'll meet. Oh, and 8-8 San Diego is off the dance card.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

The Patriots would play the Colts this year in any case, as they get all the AFC South. But instead of
    San Diego and Pittsburgh, they'll get Denver and Baltimore. Not a big trade off! I don't think having
    a new top guy will hurt Indy so much. It's Manning
    and Moore who run the team. The defense needs
    to play decent to win in the regular season. But the
    only way they make a playoff run is if the defense becomes shutdown in January (when Peyton has
    his worst games). With their cap situation their window is closing quickly. They are good at winning
    those close late games, though. That will keep them
    in the hunt at least. We'll see if the Titans can repeat
    their success from 08.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

It will be interested after they signed Hayden, and now they are saying that they plan on retaining Saturday and Harrison. Will be interesting to see how they do this and sign their draft picks. They were 2 million going into FA after the salary cap adjustment. Did they release a bunch of players to make up this cap room, I haven't heard anything? If not they will have to release a bunch of players for this to happen. My guess Harrison is gone and that was just talk.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

As a Colt fan, I can tell you that despite what Mr. Caldwell may say Marvin Harrison is probably done with the Colts. Anthony Gonzalez can step in nicely and be #2 to Wayne's #1, and cutting Harrison saves $6-7 million of cap space. He'd have to really renegotiate to a low dollars contract to come back to the Colts, and I'd bet a team like Seattle or Detroit would love to give him a $3-4 million one-year contract. I bet he either retires or moves to an ailing receiver corps somewhere...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Paul - not so sure I agree with you. When the colts let go of harrison their cap # will be approx 9 million (not including the Hayden signing). With the franchising of Cassell, the pats cap # is now under 7 million. Until they trade him or cut others, your hell looks about the same as ours.

Bub - the colts need on d is what they have needed and tried to take care of (but unsuccessfully) for the last 4-5 years - a big interior d lineman or 2.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzCal. Show BuzzCal's posts

It's all over!!! Everyone sing...

BuzzCal.com
    "The Ultimate Sports Calendar"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

[Quote]Paul - not so sure I agree with you. When the colts let go of harrison their cap # will be approx 9 million (not including the Hayden signing). With the franchising of Cassell, the pats cap # is now under 7 million. Until they trade him or cut others, your hell looks about the same as ours.

Bub - the colts need on d is what they have needed and tried to take care of (but unsuccessfully) for the last 4-5 years - a big interior d lineman or 2.[/Quote]

Actually the Pats are 13 million under, the radio broadcast quoted 15 million under. Heard they have an additonal 5-6 million in cap credits. I think you'll see a few more cuts to push that up to over 15 million. To see what cap credits are I posted a online link before, essentially they were invented by the Eagles and it's clauses put into contracts that go unfulfilled.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Found the link on cap credit talk that I listened to while out in Minnesota

FA Talk

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

So dogg with the Hayden signing your looking at around 2-5 million if/when you cut Harrison. Depends on how the contract escalates.

Sections
Shortcuts