1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carolina-soxfan. Show carolina-soxfan's posts

The Globe says the sox are building around Lester.

I know that Lester has proven to be a great pitcher, but I'm also not discounting Josh Beckett. Mazz from the globe thinks that the Red Sox will be through w/ Beckett after 2010. Bob Ryan thinks that Beckett shows only flashes of greatness. The guy has had issues and injuries, but I wouldn't consider him a fragile injury prone pitcher. I'm certainly not ready to give up on him. I hope he'll be pitching in Boston for a long time and I hope these statements are merely speculation and hinged upon the fact that they (Boston Globe) are going broke and don't have much to talk about at the moment.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma82. Show scauma82's posts

i like beckett as much as the next guy, but shouldn't he be a little more consistent if he was going to be considered an ace?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lowell4MVP. Show Lowell4MVP's posts

Beckett's been known as an injury prone pitcher his whole career. He's logged 200 ip twice, once with tremendous success, one without.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I would have expected better from Bob Ryan. His forte is clearly basketball/football.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carolina-soxfan. Show carolina-soxfan's posts

C'mon! Beckett is one of the main reasons we won in 2007. I don't want to abandon ship on him now. He can be lights out at times. If he doesn't pitch well this year then I can see us moving forward, but I think he's going to be great.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Josh Beckett has been one of the few Pitchers to have come into the AL East from the NL and excelled !! He should have won the Cy Young over Chubby Checker and it was made blatanly obvious that Post Season when CC was Lit up by the Sox !! Beckett has been pretty durable for the Sox and has averaged 16 wins a Season with an ERA just under 4.00, Not to mention he's lights out in the playoffs (when Healthy) !! Beckett will have a great Season this year and an even better one Next year, in his Contract Year !! I would tend to agree that he may not be with the Sox after 2010 unless He is prone to giving the Sox a major Home Town Discount !! Anyway that's 2 years down the road and for a Pitcher anything can happen to change all of that !!

GO SOX 2009 !!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JacqueStrappe. Show JacqueStrappe's posts

[Quote]i like beckett as much as the next guy, but shouldn't he be a little more consistent if he was going to be considered an ace?[/Quote]

I agree. IF he's going to be considered an Ace, but I don't believe anything is gained by putting the Ace tag on Lester, Dice-K or Beckett. '07 was an ace-like season. '06 and '08 were not. This really isn't a concern of mine until AFTER the '10 season is complete anyhow. If Beckett makes 28 starts this season, the $12 million option automatically vests for the 2010 season. Even if he has an '09 that is identical to his '06 season, $12 million isn't all that expensive if you compare it with what Silva or Millwood are "earning". I don't think there is a GM that would blink before signing a postseason stud for $750,000 per win($12 mill/ 16 wins in '05).

This provides Theo almost 2 full years to evaluate and develop his minor league talent, judge the market for FA, and moniter Beckett's health, meanwhile Beckett is pitching at or above market value for his salary. It's a fantastic situation to be in.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from billy13. Show billy13's posts

They are building around Pedroia Youklis and Lester. Very good idea. Lester is a stud althete and just coming into his own. Love to see Bucholz/Bard/Bowden come thru and Hunter Jones also. Wake might be sitting.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT93. Show BurritoT93's posts

Beckett is the man. However, having an e.r.a over 5.00 every other season is still unacceptable. In no way should even discuss his demise or departure. He just needs to show us which Beckett he really is this season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

However, having an e.r.a over 5.00 every other season is still unacceptable.

Not for nothing, but he's had one ERA of over 4.10 (rookie season) in his career. That's not exactly 'every other year'.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

1-I don't think the RS embraces the concept of building around one player.

2-I would not consider Beckett an ace right now, but real close. One good season, one great season, and one okay season.

3-We have him for two more seasons. That's more than enough time to further assess him. The problem becomes when the NYY hand out contracts way in excess of whatever we can afford. When his time comes, we'll have Lester, Dice, Buch, Bowden, Tazawa, and possibly others. Will we take take the draft picks, or match the $23M or so the NYY will offer?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

i certainly don't think Becks is done, but Lester and Matsuzaka moving up the ladder soon is a good start..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

The article should have been "The Sox are Building Around Younger Talent" !! I agree with previous posts that the Sox would appear to be way ahead of putting all their eggs in one basket approach. Keeping the main body of the team Youthful, Athletic, Adaptable, and Hungry, sprinkled in with some Veteran Leadership and the ability to add Players as needed is the "Rock Solid" way to approach running a Sports Franchise !! We as Fans are lucky to have an Organization that "Gets It" !! Are they always right in everything they do ?? Well, who is ?? The point is This Organization has proven that they, while not matching Dollar for Dollar, can compete, accomplish, excel, under just about any conditions, with Any other Organization out there !! It's a Great Time To Be A Red Sox Fan !!

GO SOX 2009 !!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lowell4MVP. Show Lowell4MVP's posts

[Quote] Will we take take the draft picks, or match the $23M or so the NYY will offer?[/Quote]

The Yankees are going to offer 23M for Beckett?!!? You're dreaming.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[Quote]

The Yankees are going to offer 23M for Beckett?!!? You're dreaming.[/Quote]

You're right... It's probably going to be much more !!

GO SOX 2009 !!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Beckett has an option year in 2010. If the front office is smart they'll pick up the option or have him sign a new deal. If they drag their feet with him, he's gone after 2010 and Texas should not be a surprise of signing him.