1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

Theo Does It Again

The news of the Lester signing once again validates Theo's brilliant baseball acumen and the team's overall strategy. Let's resign Jason and keep this team moving forward. 8 years and 160 for CC or Santana or the deal we just did with Lester. Gee, do you think maybe our management has their act together, or what! What a great time to be a Sox fan!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Theo Does It Again

Absolutely right! And, it all relates to Santana. Had the Sox signed him, We would not be getting the same Lester. I think many here don't realize that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Theo Does It Again

[Quote]Absolutely right! And, it all relates to Santana. Had the Sox signed him, We would not be getting the same Lester. I think many here don't realize that.[/Quote]

They could have given Buch and had Santana and Lester (and Mats, Beckett...)
    Signing Lester was great, an excellent looking move by Theoat this time, but you can't compare signing a player under your "control" to signing a player that is a free agent (or close to becoming one).
    I think any team who has the resources would have done everything they could to sign Ped, Youk and Lester, I don't view this as a particular strategy only Theo uses. I am, however, very glad he was able to do it for all three.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from youngdavid74. Show youngdavid74's posts

Theo Does It Again

excellent Deal! Lets bring in Jason Next! The front office has done an excellent job this offseason locking up our own! Go Red Sox!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiley-beni-2817. Show smiley-beni-2817's posts

Theo Does It Again

WOW!!!! Smarty-Theo is just amazing!
    This is another great move from the
    best GM in baseball- Theo (the genius)
    Epstein...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Theo Does It Again

AGAIN THEO DOES THE RIGHT THING......... THE DAY OF PAYING THE 29-34 AGE PITCHER BIG $$$$$ FOR 4-7 YEARS IS JUST TO MUCH OF A RISK...... GOOD JOB THEO !!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Theo Does It Again

Great move by the Sox FO. Lester is the real deal. Great pitcher, gutsy competitor. My kind of player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

Theo Does It Again

Exactly Bill and i would only add that for Santana in addition to the crazy contract for the tired arm we would have had to give up 3 young super talented high potentials.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lowell4MVP. Show Lowell4MVP's posts

Theo Does It Again

Dabro wrote: "8 years and 160 for CC or Santana or the deal we just did with Lester."

How can you compare the two? CC was a free agent, Lester wasn't. You're amazing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

Theo Does It Again

That was the choice if we had included Lester as part of the proposed trade for Santana.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from youngdavid74. Show youngdavid74's posts

Theo Does It Again

Actually give credit to Lester as well! He very easily could have waited longer, and negotiated A much larger deal! Give Lester credit for not being overly greedy! Same with Pedroia, And Youk.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

Theo Does It Again

Of course I can compare a free agent signing to a home grown signing. Why would you ever, ever rely on a free agent based strategy to build long term success? If you choose that approach as an organization you basically have no strategy. You are at the whim of the market. You have no control. If that is your strategy, you are weak and need to rethink it. That is why the Sox off season signings, while they dont make fancy headlines with Youk and Dustin and Lester, are all the more impressive.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcleanfan. Show mcleanfan's posts

Theo Does It Again

Front office, despite being filled with moronic incompetents, is putting together a great team at reasonable money. This is so the way to do it these days. After over 60 years as a fan I can finally say that I am as much a fan of the front office as I am of the guys on the field. And that is saying something consideing what the Sox have been like in the FO most of the time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carolina-soxfan. Show carolina-soxfan's posts

Theo Does It Again

I love the signing. Lester has proven he can be an ace type starter. 6 million a year over 5 years for a young stud is a very savvy deal by Theo and Co. Let's sign Bay to an extension as well. We have what appears to be a fantastic group of young players over the next few years. Let's not forget, we also have Lars Anderson and currently Clay Buccholz who could also be amazing if they both live up to their potential. I'm excited about our team. Even if they don't win it all this year, we are going to have a solid team for a number of years.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Theo Does It Again

Great signing, No telling what kind of return this Kid will provide for the Sox and at like 1/6 the cost of Chubby Checker !! Or let's put it another way, assuming both players were paid the same for the first 5 years of the contracts, The Yankmes will still have to pay Chubby another 130 Mil for the next 2 !! Let's twist again, like we did last summer !! LOL

GO SOX 2009 !!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

Theo Does It Again

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Theo Does It Again

Um, it wasn't just Theo...the Red Sox front office works as a team to make decisions....

Good Job Sox FRONT OFFICE!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Theo Does It Again

[Quote]

They could have given Buch and had Santana and Lester (and Mats, Beckett...)
    Signing Lester was great, an excellent looking move by Theoat this time, but you can't compare signing a player under your "control" to signing a player that is a free agent (or close to becoming one).
    I think any team who has the resources would have done everything they could to sign Ped, Youk and Lester, I don't view this as a particular strategy only Theo uses. I am, however, very glad he was able to do it for all three.
    [/Quote]

Moon, I know YOU are not missing my point. Lester is who he is based on how things worked out over the last two seasons. If Santana was here with Lester, John would have been thought of differently on the staff. In the opportunities he had to be a horse, he might not have gotten each of those opportunities with Sanatana here. I, of course, have no proof of that. But, I don't think that is a stretch, either.

As far as locking up your own players, I disagree with you on others strategy. Theo has NOT gone to arbitration with anyone. That is important to him. It creates bad feelings from all that I have read on the subject. Many players might have opted to play out the contract and test free agency instead of getting the security now, at a discount.

While the A's obviously don't have the Sox resources, they seem to do things the exact opposite way. They trade everyone as they approach free agency. While they might stay competitive, I'm sure the fans would love to keep some of their homegrown players.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Theo Does It Again

[Quote]Um, it wasn't just Theo...the Red Sox front office works as a team to make decisions....

Good Job Sox FRONT OFFICE![/Quote]

When Theo gets bashed, do you say the same thing?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Theo Does It Again

If the Lester deal doesn't happen, will Dabbs be able to say an unkind word about Theo and his "brilliance"??

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Theo Does It Again

[Quote]

Moon, I know YOU are not missing my point. Lester is who he is based on how things worked out over the last two seasons. If Santana was here with Lester, John would have been thought of differently on the staff. In the opportunities he had to be a horse, he might not have gotten each of those opportunities with Sanatana here. I, of course, have no proof of that. But, I don't think that is a stretch, either.

As far as locking up your own players, I disagree with you on others strategy. Theo has NOT gone to arbitration with anyone. That is important to him. It creates bad feelings from all that I have read on the subject. Many players might have opted to play out the contract and test free agency instead of getting the security now, at a discount.

While the A's obviously don't have the Sox resources, they seem to do things the exact opposite way. They trade everyone as they approach free agency. While they might stay competitive, I'm sure the fans would love to keep some of their homegrown players.[/Quote]

The A's have to trade everybody before they become FAs, because they can't afford to sign them and they get something in return, rather than nothing. I'm sure Beane, not just the fans, would love to keep some of their best players also.

Locking up our good players looks great. If Ortiz and Lowell slide farther down this year, we may think otherwise a little. I agree with you on the arbitration thing. His record there almost got broken with Varitek, and look what happened there. Theo still "won", but Tek could have "hard feelings". (Side note: I think we overpaid Tek at even $5M)

I totally disagree with your first point. I think if anything, having Santana would have helped Lester, not hurt him. He still would have had the same number of critical starts. All 5 starters have equal opportunities to be the "horse", just because one may be doing great, it shouldn't stop another one from feeling he can be great also.

Hey, aren't you the guy who said Manny was paying Boras a 15% agent fee and Manny would spend $15 Million on "living expenses" in LA? Correct me if I am wrong.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from billy13. Show billy13's posts

Theo Does It Again

Signing these three players "is" brilliance. The sox are setting the table for a ten year run. Although I am not a Theo lover, its undeniable that the organization is in good hands and being run expertly. The sox will contend in 09, and for a long time after that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Theo Does It Again

[Quote]
    Nonsense.

Theo lowballed Youkilis so badly that Youk ended negotiations and pulled his agent out of contract talks. Epstein had to grovel back to the table to give Youk decent money.

Same thing with Papelbon, who may still cash out on this deal and test FA waters for even more money.

Brilliance? Signing players you already have, one of which was named AL MVP and the other a breakout pitching season? What's next? Theo ties his shoes and Theo Chicks lobby for him to get the Nobel Prize?

This is why Theo Chicks are 4th grade dropouts.
    [/Quote]

You typed the same Youk nonsense previously. I am amazed that you can remember the exact phrase each time. Or, do you have certain phrases set up as macros? Anyway, Youk is signed and happy. Please move on. The brilliant move by Theo was setting up the organization to draft, develop and keep such talent. Paps may cash out down the road, that is his right. If that happens, the Sox will retool with another stud. it's what they do, much to your dismay!

BTW, do you expect the Cy Young award for Clay this year?...being that you made a big deal about outing #1, I thought you would do the same for the last outing. What gives?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LouieDaLipp. Show LouieDaLipp's posts

Theo Does It Again

Just one year ago today, it was Clay Buchholtz you were ranting and raving about. Just one year ago today it was Jacoby Ellsbury that was the toast of the town. Youkilis and Lester have one great seasons and now they're gods. Just like Beckett in 2007 all you need to do in Boston is have one great year and they talk about you lika you are a future hall of famer. Then one year later they'll run you out of town. Just one year ago today Josh Beckett was the next ROCKET and Manny was beloved. Now Beckett is one season away from being a disaster in Boston and the fans and media have gone on the biggest smear campaign of my lifetime with Manny. You change like the wind and have no conviction.

Sections
Shortcuts