1. You have chosen to ignore posts from keepmanny7. Show keepmanny7's posts

Theo isn´t Done Yet- Expect a Home Run From Him

they get pedroia, papelbon, and youkilis signed and this clown is complaining because jason bay didnt get extended yet. my God in heaven.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

Amen Bill, it is a great time to be a Sox fan. The golden era!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiley-beni-2817. Show smiley-beni-2817's posts

[Quote]keep up the good posts, smiley.[/Quote]Thanks!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

"Don't lecture me on how nice a guy Jason Bay is....opposing teams have NO fear of the Sox batting order"

The "fear" thing is getting sillier every day...the Sox were 2nd in runs in the AL in 2008 despite major injury problems to two of their major run producers.

I wonder how the NYY managed to finish 7th in scoring despite the fact that ARod is such an awesome hitter?

I wonder how we managed to score more in September than any team in the league without Manny?

How did MN finish 3rd in scoring when their top hitter had 23 HRs?

LAA, with Vlad, Tex, and Hunter, finished 10th in scoring.

The Cubs, without a 30-HR hitter, oddly enough finished 1st in scoring.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[Quote] are you expecting
    Manny to be a superstar forever? Manny is 37 years old. Do you remember Carlos Beltran
    having a monster postseason a few years
    ago, and then slowing down after that. Remember, Manny won´t be forever.
    [/Quote]

Good post. I love Papi and Tek, but guess what happened as they aged? Their skills deteriorated. It happens to everyone. That doesn't make them bad players, but the 2007 and 2008 version of Manny for the RS wasn't nearly as good as when he was really Manny.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiley-beni-2817. Show smiley-beni-2817's posts

I wonder how the NYY managed to finish 7th in scoring despite the fact that ARod is such an awesome hitter?

I wonder how we managed to score more in September than any team in the league without Manny?

..............................................................................................

Very simple in order to success you need 25 players....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from netdog. Show netdog's posts

Theo is a really good GM, but I don't think that he has a rabbit to pull out of the hat before pitchers and catchers report.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

Agreed, the catching situation is tough. But totally agree in 25 player concept. In fact, the Sox have now adopted a 40 player concept, which is really interesting.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

I agree that Theo could pull a blockbuster of sorts that would be bring a premier bat to the Sox. I also agree that it would come after spring training or around late July, once Lowell's status has been determined and the team's needs crystalize.

He knows how to "think out of the box" and I'm sure he's hovering and sniffing things out..................remember Nomar at the deadline in 2004!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgr01002. Show dgr01002's posts

[Quote]great post law, this lineup lacks the fire that it had coming into last year, had the red sox given manny what he wanted 4 yrs at $25mil per or even 3 with and option then manny would have been happy and the sox would have repeated as champions, jason bay would have been a great addition to the team with manny there but without manny he is just another player that bows and scrapes to theo. Right after the sox won in 04 theo went on record by saying that this was not the team that he wanted he wanted to be more professional like the yankees, fast forward to 2009 he now has the boring team that he has always wanted. Theo has been a good GM but a genius he is not a genius never would have let Texiara get away when the need for him was so great. I feel theo has screwed up the SS position every year since 04 he had a chance to sign a player that wanted to be here and signs that hack edgar, and then alex gonzalez, not mention the disaster that is lugo, i highly doubt lowerie will make us forget nomar in the early years. And for everyone clamering to sign jason bay give this guy a year and boston and he will show what a hack he really is.[/Quote]

Jeez, guys. Let Texiera die. The Sox NEVER...N-E-V-E-R had a shat at him. None. Nada. I don't care what offer or crazy strategy for Boston you devise in fantasyland, whatever $$$ number you put on the table, Texiera was always going to New York. Steinbrenner had the check signed for Texiera back in November, he was just waiting to see what the highest offer Boras could play the suckers like Washinton, Boston and LAA to offer, and then Steinbrenner would fill in his million dollar figure that beat any offer. And don't say Boston coulda countered. They couldn't. Whatever market value a team was going to set for Texiera, NY was going to beat. Boras knew this. Texiera knew this. Steinbrenner knew this.

And with Manny...seriously? Of course LAW, you are right, having Manny at the plate is always a huge threat. He certainly proved that at Boston and at LA. But again, Boras devised a plan to try and earn Manny huge dollars by creating animosity towards Boston and having him QUIT on his team. Manny QUIT. So, if you are going to blame anyone, blame Manny and especially that scumbag Boras. We don't deserve to win a WS title if it hinges on a guy with zero integrity and zero love for his current team. Why is it so worthwhile being so in love with a guy who HATES you back, like Manny. Stop acting like an abused woman with no self esteem and get over him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from deggy24. Show deggy24's posts

We know Theo will make a fantastic move around the trade deadline. Question is will it be Kyle Snyder, Jason Johnsonesque or young talent for a 10 million dollar Gagne or, young talent and cash, downgrade in left field to spend 6 million on Kotsay and Byrd.

Time will tell but the Genius is at the helm.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Very simple in order to success you need 25 players....

Beni, you're doing a good job hammering this point home. This has to be our motto for 2009. Nothing ever really guarantees success, but this might be the deepest team I've ever seen in BB. Counting Smoltz as #26, the 3 B's as 27-29, and then Lars, we really go 30 deep.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[Quote]Theo is a really good GM, but I don't think that he has a rabbit to pull out of the hat before pitchers and catchers report.[/Quote]

I agree. We don't really need a rabbit, and even if we did, there aren't many out there. With the disclaimer that you can always make a marginal improvement by reaching deep into your wallet and farm, we really have only one need, and that's catcher. I'd love to see Theo land Montero at a reasonable price, but starting Montero for 80 and Tek for 80, and hitting 9th, with even a 50 point OPS advantage, isn't exactly what I'd call pulling a rabbit out of a hat.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgr01002. Show dgr01002's posts

[Quote]Law-

How is being outspent, being outsmarted? Are you aware of the difference between the two? What's the necessity of making a blockbuster deal? For all the whining you do about Tex, the Sox did fine last year in terms of offense. Certainly good enough to win. It was the pitching that killed them.

And in that regard, they're dumb if they trade a cluster of young guns to get a really expensive 4 hitter, in desperation of not signing Tex. It not only goes against everything the organization has been trying to do the past few years, in terms of farming young talent, but also places the most emphasis on what was already a strength: run production (mathematically unassailable fact). Anything you have to say about it to the contrary, is just irrational.

Of course not all our young pitchers will pan out. But we put too much effort into grooming them to just toss them all off so we can bump up a spot or two in the Runs department. Sure, we relied on Manny for all those years. But not only is he a despicable human being that any club should avoid like a cancer - the Sox were fine without him.

We can't afford to get into a spending war with NY, and other than Tex - who really would not have been worth the money when you consider we'll also have to find a good catcher, solidify Pap, and possibly replace Lowell and Ortiz in the near future....that's a lot of holes coming soon, and we need a warchest. Tex would not have been ample compensation for our future inability to flush out a roster.

And given what Manny had become to us - given his selfish, craven nature - the trade for Bay was a definite upgrade. It's not even a slight loss. Statistically, Manny was in clear decline, and Bay has been great. Plus, bay doesn't throw old men on the floor, walk out hits, or decide to take weeks off. That's just inexcusable.

Clearly, you just like to focus on the negative. Which is fine. You're entitled.

It just has the net effect over time of making you look like an idiot.[/Quote]

Perfectly stated.

I am telling you guys, I truly believe LAW is Scott Boras himself. The narcissism. The absolute animosity for Theo. The absolute love affair with Manny and any other Boras clientele...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuschBound. Show BuschBound's posts

[Quote]

How is being outspent being outsmarted? When you had more than enough money to compete and you CHOSE to lose. When you bid 180-190 mil on a player and the entire deal crashes down on you over less than 12 million more. I have heard the 'too expensive' excuse one time too many. The Sox FO broke the bank to sign Daisuke, and that's fine. But the ENTIRE motive behind what Epstein set in motion with running Manny out of town was premised on getting Teixeira this offseason, something he wasn't prepared to carry out on either end. Now the Sox are left with the tatters of a championship team BUILT around Manny's hall of fame slugging. Teams no longer fear the Red Sox batting order, which in the most competitive division in the AL isn't a good thing.

Time after time after time Manny's offensive power at the plate carried the Red Sox in games when the pitching didn't. The constant pressure Manny put on opposing pitchers kept the Red Sox in virtually every game. What you're silently advocating is this notion of remaking the Boston Red Sox into a version of the Atlanta Braves. Pitching and defense as the sole formula for winning? The Red Sox had BALANCE as a team with great pitching AND power during the championship era. The Red Sox were able to gut it out and win 1 run games, or get into a slugfest and win 8 to 7 when needed. That's gone. Theo didn't come close to filling that void. Presenting Jason Bay as an upgrade over Manny, has the net effect of making you look like an idiot. If Manny never plays another inning of MLB, he's a 1st ballot HOF. If Jason Bay shuts it down for good any time before 2019, he's just another ex MLB player. Manny has the most postseason HR's and is 2nd in postseason RBIs and has put the final touches on his red carpet walk into Cooperstown. Yet Jason Bay is an upgrade? He's a Theo yes man, and a competent MLB player. That's it. Manny was in clear decline? If clear decline is batting .400 the rest of the way, that decline would have given the Red Sox the AL East title by 8 games and the fast track to another world title. Period. You're basing your opinion on the prepackaged image the Sox FO presented about Manny. That's a fallacy. Epstein quit on the Sox in a way that was much more humiliating, but was welcomed back with open arms. I expect elite athletes to act out occasionally. General Managers are supposed to be above pouting, temper tantrums, putting on a gorilla suit and embarassing the entire organization by quitting. There are a lot of holes in the Sox roster coming soon? Newsflash, they're already there. And the GM you can't get enough of loving continues to FAIL to fill them and creates MORE of them. Stop confusing focusing on the negative with refusing to overlook the negative as you Theo Chicks do 24/7.
    [/Quote]

And your problem is..............what exactly again???

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuschBound. Show BuschBound's posts

.......and after all your bitching and moaning I bet you have 15 virtual waiting rooms open tomorrow morning!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Man alive I can't believe how hard it is for some to see what is no eminantly obvious to me. The Sox are WEAKER than they were last yr, and our competition is MUCH stronger than they were. What's hard to grasp there? Joe+you others who feel all is just dandy...what say you to the above? Do YOU believe that the Yanks strengthened themselves by adding Teixiera, CC Sabathia, Burnett, et al? I think it obvious that they did.

Now-part two. Do you believe that losing Manny (I believe Bay is 85% of what Manny offers, and 150% a better person. But it's still a net loss.), having Drew recovering from multiple herniated discs (subject to reinjury with one swing of the bat), Lowell missing all of spring training with surgically repaired hip, Ortiz hearing "clicking" in his bad wrist this off season, makes us weaker? Again, the evidence is unassailable in the affirmative.

The additions this off season are Smoltz(out till July with surgically repaired shoulder and will be 43 yrs old. He's also jumping to the MUCH harder American League), Baldelli (very serious neuro muscular disorder doc's HOPE can be managed effectively. Trust me-this is far from certain), Kotsay (guy's worthless. He can't hit, run, or field. But he can do all that in 3 different spots!), Ramon Ramirez-great acquisition I'm very high on, but he cost us Coco in a trade.

We cannot assume that our injury risky players will find a fountain of youth and all stay healthy. We NEED a BIG BAT because someone is likely to miss considerable time from our core middle of the line up. Why is that unclear to some here?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffg316. Show jeffg316's posts

I'm glad they did not get texiera, he is now an overpaid player. SWit back enjoy the fact we have like 8 starting pitchers for the whole year, top 5 defense, and a top 10 offense. Come JUly we may or may not make a deal, it depends on who is out there. I would like to see them try to get lugo out of town and free up some more money. I would like to see bay and paplebon extended. give tek a thanks for all you have done contract, 2 yr 10 mil with a club option on the third. throw a bunch of offensive incentives in it that can bring it back uip to the 10 mil mark. Keep Lowrie at SS and don't worry too much about that. If something comes along in july then try to get it, but don't go giving away the talent. It has been good to us the past couple of years.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgr01002. Show dgr01002's posts

[Quote]Man alive I can't believe how hard it is for some to see what is no eminantly obvious to me. The Sox are WEAKER than they were last yr, and our competition is MUCH stronger than they were. What's hard to grasp there? Joe+you others who feel all is just dandy...what say you to the above? Do YOU believe that the Yanks strengthened themselves by adding Teixiera, CC Sabathia, Burnett, et al? I think it obvious that they did.

Now-part two. Do you believe that losing Manny (I believe Bay is 85% of what Manny offers, and 150% a better person. But it's still a net loss.), having Drew recovering from multiple herniated discs (subject to reinjury with one swing of the bat), Lowell missing all of spring training with surgically repaired hip, Ortiz hearing "clicking" in his bad wrist this off season, makes us weaker? Again, the evidence is unassailable in the affirmative.

The additions this off season are Smoltz(out till July with surgically repaired shoulder and will be 43 yrs old. He's also jumping to the MUCH harder American League), Baldelli (very serious neuro muscular disorder doc's HOPE can be managed effectively. Trust me-this is far from certain), Kotsay (guy's worthless. He can't hit, run, or field. But he can do all that in 3 different spots!), Ramon Ramirez-great acquisition I'm very high on, but he cost us Coco in a trade.

We cannot assume that our injury risky players will find a fountain of youth and all stay healthy. We NEED a BIG BAT because someone is likely to miss considerable time from our core middle of the line up. Why is that unclear to some here?
    [/Quote]

I don't think he was saying that Boston is BETTER this year than last year. Not at all. I think he was saying that for losing a crazed headcase like Manny, Jason Bay panned out about is good as you can possibly hope for. And that Manny quit on the team under a failed Boras-lead plan to get him more money in this current off-season. We don't have Manny and it's a good thing. And Tex was never coming here. So, who else were we supposed to be getting this Winter that wasn't:

A. An over-priced, Boras client seeking way too many years?

B. A mediocre, over-priced, aging non-Boras client seeking too many years and too much money?

C. A mediocre young talent seeking too many years, too much money and possibly a 1st round draft-pick?

D. An injury riddled over-priced talent that is seeking way too many years?

The only argument to be made is possibly Saltiamacca or however his name is spelled. And even HE isn't a proven certanty. And Texas may be asking too much in a trade.

All other free agents out there are simply not worth what they are asking for and they all come with a certain degree of risks (injury, age, strikeouts, declining production). The upside aquisitions in the FA market are gone. Which leaves getting low-risk, high-reward 1-2-year deals that cost the Sox nothing.

As for trades? Theo has been bolstering the organization over the past month. He seems to be getting minor-leage prospects now, which would indicate some major moves such as a trade coming soon or in the near future.

True. None of this may pan out, but I simply do not see who we missed out on thus far in the FA market.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

He is a solid GM. He gets it. There is still work to be done. Timing is key.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

In reality the only FA The Sox missed was Tex . I think they would have closed that deal at the meeting in Texas, if they had increased to 185 mil from the 170 they offered. There has not been another FA on the market this season that really fits their need. That said, it doesn't change the fact that we probably will have a weakness in the middle of the line up. We need a guy like Miggey or Prince to balance what will be a solid contact hitting group. Between Lowell, Papi and Drew we will have at least one problem. The July deadline is a long way off, I expect Theo to make a move if these injuries persist.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

[Quote]In reality the only FA The Sox missed was Tex . I think they would have closed that deal at the meeting in Texas, if they had increased to 185 mil from the 170 they offered. There has not been another FA on the market this season that really fits their need. That said, it doesn't change the fact that we probably will have a weakness in the middle of the line up. We need a guy like Miggey or Prince to balance what will be a solid contact hitting group. Between Lowell, Papi and Drew we will have at least one problem. The July deadline is a long way off, I expect Theo to make a move if these injuries persist.[/Quote]

Chazz if we ever landed either of those players I'd be thrilled to death and would feel like we had a great chance this season. It's not likely to happen, but it would be HUGE for us.

Look, I don't want to be complaining about anything. But when I see our chances diminishing while everyone seems to be whistling past the graveyard, it's really frustrating. The Yanks+Rays are stronger and we are not. That's a problem! We already blew last season due to injuries, how we could enter this season without addressing this is unfathomable to me.
    And for Theo to start blaming the "economy" for our failures to add what we need, leads me to once again think Henry's going cheap. I HOPE I am wrong but we'll know soon enough. Fielder would be awesome...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgr01002. Show dgr01002's posts

[Quote]

Well there you have it. To go from winning the 2007 World Series and being on track to win 3 more in the next 4 years to being a team that isn't "at all" better going into this season than the team we had last season says it all.

Low-risk is a buzzword Theo and the Sox FO have used the Boston media to drum into the heads of those who are willing to put reality aside.

Theo is risking another year of not being in the World Series by signing these high risk for injury, retreads and cast-off pitchers. This puts more pressure on the front of the Sox starting rotation to win 20 games apiece.

Without Manny Ramirez powering the Red Sox offense, teams are no longer afraid to pitch to the entire batting order. This (again) puts more pressure on the healthy starting pitchers we do have to pitch near perfect games and not be as aggressive against opposing batters as Sox pitchers were able to be with Manny waiting to bat.

There are no major moves coming soon. When Theo failed to sign Teixeira and stalled on these contract extensions, the economy was to blame. Then the economy can't be a factor by midseason, when star players on contender teams are least likely to want to move.[/Quote]

No, moron. Wrong.

No team is the same as 2007, currently. LAW, excuse me, I mean Boras, you still haven't pinpointed or offered WHO Boston should have or could have gotten in the off-season EXCEPT your clients Manny and Texiera. Your love affair with Manny (however amazing he is) shows the lack of character you have as a person. The guy QUIT not only on the fans, but his entire team. He quit, a man who is one of the top 5 highest paid players in the history of Baseball. Really?? And we should keep a guy who was truly rewarded for his talents by giving him what he asked for...a longterm contract and more money the he could possibly ever need? World Series rings? What is it that was missing in this whole dream come true that I'm missing? Show me? You have zero integrity. And that's the diff between you and many of the Boston organizations.

I don't know a thing about you personally, but it doesn't take much at all to guess you have obviously never played sports or worked in a team environment. Anybody who has played in a team setting or relied on the parts of the machine to be working (and baseball is a team sport last I checked)...to actually go out and work, or run out a groundball, or play when you're actually healthy, or actually play when the AL East division is on the line against the Yankees, or try to run down a basehit in left faster to prevent extra bases, or to NOT violently handle a superior, or show up late constantly. This is why Manny sucks and it takes integrity to part with a primmadonna who has an amazing gift and is too stupid to realize he was given everything he asked for and blew it.

There are still Manny Ramirez fan sites, posters, and maybe, just maybe he'll do a shirtless expose on Perez Hilton for ya to google over. But he aint gonna do in Boston. Get over him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from midnight. Show midnight's posts

Yet more amusement from folks. It is amusing that while Manny wasn't here our runs per game went up not down. It is also amusing to note that Bay's numbers come out almost exactly where Manny's were projected to go if he had continued his first half pattern and neither were that far from past performances from Manny for the 3 years going back to 2005. If pitchers aren't fearing the Sox then they are throwing to them and we are beating them up for it.

The Sox did not need to improve the batting order this off season to be successful, it would have been nice but it wasn't truly require for them to go into the season as contenders. What they needed was to improve their depth in all areas which they did. 8 quality starting pitchers available, a deep bullpen, and so quality off the bench.

I am like everyone else who would have liked to have seen Teixiera here for the right price, but no way did I think out spending the Yankees just to prove you could was a good idea. Set a price, stick to it, and if you win great if you don't move on. And as to Dice-K breaking to bank, he isn't paid that much per year which is what counts against the luxury tax, his posting fee has nothing to do with money available to the Sox. Every dollor over the tax level mean they have to pay something in addition for the revenue sharing, this makes any player sending them over that number that much more expensive. Add to that, we have gotten every penny's worth for what Dice-K is earning and then some.

Would I like to see Manny still on the Sox, if he was willing to play all the time sure. With the way it was clear he was behaving last year would I want him playing for the Sox, no way. I don't care if he didn't like the way his contract was handled or not, you act like a professional who is earning a ton of money and you make your case after the season. It looks like the Sox were right because he acted like a child and now no one wants to give him a good contract because of it. If people were falling all over themselves to sign Manny then I would say Law has a point, but I don't see it does anyone else? This sounds like the old Pedro thing, where he said he was disrespected because the Sox didn't pick up his option for the next year at the beginning of the year. The Sox didn't have to do any such thing for him or for Manny. Manny had 2 more years on his contract if the Sox had decided in the post season to keep him, he wanted more and wasn't willing to play for what he agreed to 8 years earlier. Theo did the right thing and getting rid of him.

I think the team is better than last year when I look at the overall depth of what they have pulled together. Do I think they made a big splash with shiny new toys? No. Did they need to? No.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dano50. Show dano50's posts

Man alive I can't believe how hard it is for some to see what is no eminantly obvious to me. - Teakus 2
    Umm...maybe because you're wrong? I'm sure THAT never occurred to you.